• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (TGS Trailer)

Olaeh

Kenka said:
I don't know what to expect in the battle sales. Will this narrowly go past the million bar ? Sell half of what FF XIII will manage ?

A million WW would be huge. I'd guess maybe 300k in Japan and 100k in US (release date hurting potential sales).

Amir0x

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
I don't understand the FFXIII hate either though, I'm excited for both.

FFXIII looks really bad, that's why it gets hate from certain gamers. I mean for all the bullshit that the FFXII haters were spewing about how FFXII could play itself, at least you could choose to play with everyone. In FFXIII, you only control Lightning and set simple guideline A.I. and classes for your characters. Huge regression from FFXII and prior FF's in that alone.

The voice acting is terrible, a colossal regression from FFXII. The exploration is a big regression. The story premise is fuck atrocious. The characters are so bad at this point from the videos and summaries we have that it's almost like the FFXIII scenario writers are intentionally fucking with their fanbase. The art direction is...jesus. The architecture makes no goddamn sense anywhere. There are zippers on Odin. His mouth is a zipper. Serah is a whiny little teenage hanger-on who is getting molested by Snow. Sazh is straight up racist character design.

At least for all its worth, CB is not even trying to be serious. And that's the best you can hope for in the Final Fantasy universe, when the writers are as bad as they are in the mainline FF series at the moment.

And in this game, everything looks hugely explorable, everything seems very interactive and based on fun, not trillion dollar cinematics filled with horrifying storytelling and girls that cry when they get kissed.

That's my piece, though, so you know where it comes from. We can - and probably should - keep the games separate.

But FF:CB is factually going to be better than FFXIII. Now that that's settled, let's continue :lol @ the dance video

jeremy1456

Amir0x said:
FFXIII looks really bad, that's why it gets hate from certain gamers. I mean for all the bullshit that the FFXII haters were spewing about how FFXII could play itself, at least you could choose to play with everyone. In FFXIII, you only control Lightning and set simple guideline A.I. and classes for your characters. Huge regression from FFXII and prior FF's in that alone.

Please tell me that you're joking about this. I didn't know the game was so limited.

vazel

Banned
Fuck I didn't know we were going to have AI bullshit in ff13 again. The voice acting quality sounds the same to me though. And I like the art style.

Why! Why does this have to turn into a FFXIII sucks thread? who cares?

Let it suck, and hope this game doesn't suffer from the Nomura curse (Style over Substance+Belts and Zippers TM)

:/

Seriously though, this is a different beast, as some have pointed, this might be the first good action RPG made by Square-Enix (yes, I consider Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy VII crisis core to have rubbish gameplay) what's more, it seems to be a game that puts interface and interactivity where it should be... which is before whatever else, something Square-Enix has been lagging for years now... at making their games have fun, responsive gameplay and exploration.

7Th

Fimbulvetr said:
I wrote a large post about the combat.

Come on, discuss it. I can wait.

ethelred had complaints, but he voiced them in a way that didn't involve repeating the same thing even after being proven wrong.

Yes, you wrote about how you could take control of different enemies and objects to use them against each other in order to create new reactions. I read that, don't worry about it. My point still stands:

-There is no system of skill-growth for Layle, this much has been confirmed by interviews. Not even something basic like Link or Samus getting new weapons and abilities. I really don't see how the game won't get old like that.
-I could see such a system working in a puzzle game, actually. But the game seems way too fast-paced for that. The dungeons we've seen so far don't actually use the mechanic for anything other than jumping and fighting.
-Going by the trailer it honestly looks as if the game is going from QTE to QTE and the amount of freedom you actually have over the gravity-hook mechanic is limited to looking for the correct reaction. It literally looks like a rather limited take on the Scribblenauts system.

Amir0x said:
And in this game, everything looks hugely explorable, everything seems very interactive and based on fun, not trillion dollar cinematics filled with horrifying storytelling and girls that cry when they get kissed.

Interactive, really? So far, it looks like you just take element A and pit it against element B and then wait to see what happens.

sfried

Regulus Tera said:
You should. TWEwY is the Nomura game for the Nomura hater.
I'll think about it. But frankly speaking, I'm not a big fan of games that have a lot of this Akiba-kei mentally stuff. (Glad I skipped on Devil Survivor, since the much superior Strange Journey is coming along the way).

Arde5643

7Th said:
Interactive, really? So far, it looks like you just take element A and pit it against element B and then wait to see what happens.
You are so fucking stretching it with this sentence.

hatchx

Banned
Boerseun said:
FFXIII looks like a step backwards from FFXII in every aspect outside of graphics. Meanwhile The Crystal Bearers is something NEW and FRESH and FULL OF ENERGY!

I reckon at the end of this gen when GAF pick five games that define Wii, we're going to select Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Super Mario Galaxy, Monster Hunter 3 and this game.

PAL gamers will swop out one of the others for Disaster: Day of Crisis, but The Crystal Bearers will undoubtedly remain!

You really think so? Disaster day of Crisis?

I'm very surprised the way this thread has turned. I've never seen so many positive vibes here on gaf before (and I was creeping you guys long before I got my junior account), especially for a wii game that didn't end in galaxy.

I'm also very excited for FF:CC, but I've held off on spoiling it, so your guys excitement is all I have to base it on. Woohoo! Boxing day baby!

7Th said:
-There is no system of skill-growth for Layle, this much has been confirmed by interviews. Not even something basic like Link or Samus getting new weapons and abilities. I really don't see how the game won't get old like that.
Oh rly?

Eat This:
:p

Kawazu shared a few details on the game's character building elements. There's no level-up system in the game. Instead, you build your character's abilities by equipping accessories. As an example, he suggested being able to make Layle pick up bigger and more distant objects.
Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/972/972988p1.html

Sounds like Zelda; in particular the example reminds me of the Goron's Bracelet in OoT, and I'm sure there are more. He starts the game with his powers, sure, but he enhances them via accessories and items.
7Th said:
-I could see such a system working in a puzzle game, actually. But the game seems way too fast-paced for that. The dungeons we've seen so far don't actually use the mechanic for anything other than jumping and fighting.
Opening doors and stuff?

Plus, we've seen very little from the game, I'd say your guess is as good as anyone else's.
7Th said:
-Going by the trailer it honestly looks as if the game is going from QTE to QTE and the amount of freedom you actually have over the gravity-hook mechanic is limited to looking for the correct reaction. It literally looks like a rather limited take on the Scribblenauts system.
Did I just read someone trying to compare Scribblenauts to... Crystal Bearers?

Of course it's not "open"; this is a Final Fantasy with a Zelda'ish approach, it'll be like "dodongos dislike smoke" so give them bombs; with the AI variant, but still... it's not to actions what scribblenauts is to words, that's just besides the point, that's like criticizing zelda for not being gears of war or something equally ridiculous.

That said, I recall reading (but I might be mistaken) that the reaction system had reactions the developers never envisioned at first.

7Th

lostinblue said:
Sounds like Zelda; in particular the example reminds me of the Goron's Bracelet in OoT, and I'm sure there are more. He starts the game with his powers, sure, but he enhances them via accessories and items.

I had only read what had been posted in this thread, but that's a plus indeed.

lostinblue said:
Plus, we've seen very little from the game, I'd say your guess is as good as anyone else's. Did I just read someone trying to compare Scribblenauts to... Crystal Bearers?

Trailers for Zelda games always show-off Link moving boxes and solving puzzles.

lostinblue said:
Of course it's not "open"; this is a Final Fantasy with a Zelda'ish approach, it'll be like "dodongos dislike smoke" so give them bombs; with the AI variant, but still... it's not to actions what scribblenauts is to words, that's just besides the point, that's like criticizing zelda for not being gears of war or something equally ridiculous.

Zelda isn't a game based on looking for the correct QTE interaction, though; Zelda is a game based on simple combat controls and solving puzzles. Crystal Bearers' TGS trailer makes it look like a game based on messing around with a rather limited gravity control mechanic; they don't make any effort to show any kind of interesting use for Layle's powers.

7Th said:
I had only read what had been posted in this thread, but that's a plus indeed.
:D
7Th said:
Trailers for Zelda games always show-off Link moving boxes and solving puzzles
I'm not so sure. I can definitely picture Phantom Hourglass trailers doing so, but not really OoT, MM, WW or TP doing that... at least that I noticed (using items, yes, but I don't remember feeling that I was seeing the resolution for a puzzle)

Even if they did, Square-Enix is trying to sell this one as a Action-Adventure outside Japan, I find it logic that they wouldn't focus on puzzles on trailers. I'm sure there will be some, the question is wether they'll be shallow, like most in, say, Resident Evil; or something worthy of a Zelda game (or if this is "Zelda Lite" in that sense)
7Th said:
Zelda isn't a game based on looking for the correct QTE interaction, though; Zelda is a game based on simple combat and solving puzzles. Crystal Bearers' trailer makes it look like a game based on fooling around with the gravity-hook mechanic.
I don't think this one is either. It has QTE scenes and mini-games but the core gameplay is gravity manoeuvring and the reaction system (who should counteract the fact that the protagonist doesn't have 20 tools/weapons in his backpack, like Zelda does)

7Th said:
Yes, you wrote about how you could take control of different enemies and objects to use them against each other in order to create new reactions. I read that, don't worry about it. My point still stands:

-There is skill growth, it is an action RPG after all.
-Dungeons? We've seen the tutorial levels and two rail sequences.
-QTEs? Elaborate.

Oh and, "stuff happens when you do things" is what interaction is all about.

interaction - a mutual or reciprocal action; interacting

7Th said:
1) Trailers for Zelda games always show-off Link moving boxes and solving puzzles.

2)Zelda isn't a game based on looking for the correct QTE interaction, though; Zelda is a game based on simple combat controls and solving puzzles. Crystal Bearers' TGS trailer makes it look like a game based on messing around with a rather limited gravity control mechanic; they don't make any effort to show any kind of interesting use for Layle's powers.

You already know by now that Square Enix has always stuck to showing cutscenes with a fraction gameplay in their trailers.

And again, QTEs?

7Th

Fimbulvetr said:
-QTEs? Elaborate.

Quick Time Event, it just means that despite being an action game your, well, actions are all very limited to whatever situational mechanic the plot asks for.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
FF : CB might be better than XIII, but we all know which one is going to be the biggest seller.

FF with numbers > spinoffs in sales.

Sipowicz

Banned
Amir0x said:

The exploration is a big regression.

i agreed with pretty much everything else you said but im a bit confused on these 2 points. i was under the impression that you could control all of the characters and there was exploration on pulse

is that not correct?

7Th said:
Quick Time Event, it just means that despite being an action game your, well, actions are all very limited to whatever situational mechanic the plot asks for.

So using the boomerang in a dungeon that requires boomerang(LoZ) is a QTE?

And no, those aren't QTE's. :/

There is a term for what you are talking about, can't remember it right now. But the term is not QTE.

Oh and, despite my gushing, I can still see how CB wouldn't work well.

But I am confident it will work.

You are right that the use of puzzles would make the game way more interesting(we still have yet to see if puzzles will be involved).

Portal was extremely basic but the way it used its main gimmick was interesting and fun.

That's what I want out of Crystal Bearers, CB is the Gravity Gun in my world of assault rifles.

Amir0x

Banned
7Th said:

i mean, that is certainly one of the things you seem to do in the game predominately. However, there's been like a trillion different activities videos at this point and they are so varied that this just says "hey, I've followed the game about zero!"

I've enjoyed different FF games, but Crystal Bearers seems to be the one that understands where I want them to go. And where I want them to go is all that matters.

It's got hugely explorable environments, is extremely interactive, doesn't take itself remotely serious (because SquareEnix does not employ a single person who can write a fucking storyline), has interesting and innovative mechanics and the action in this RPG all takes place without transitions or lame delays or whatever other enjoyment-barring bullshit that handicaps jRPGs these days.

You know my endless problems with Wii, so I am completely genuine when I say Crystal Bearers really seems like the most compelling current Final Fantasy experiment.

Will it actually end up good? I don't really know. I'm not strictly confident in SquareEnix's ability to deliver any quality game these days, but I do believe it has the most potential.

sfried

Amir0x said:
It's got hugely explorable environments, is extremely interactive, doesn't take itself remotely serious (because SquareEnix does not employ a single person who can write a fucking storyline), has interesting and innovative mechanics and the action in this RPG all takes place without transitions or lame delays or whatever other enjoyment-barring bullshit that handicaps jRPGs these days.
Tetsuya Nomura ruined console RPGs with his philosophy: "It doesn't matter if it doesn't makes any sense; as long as it looks cool, put it in!"

Thankfully this game since to be rectifying that mistake with which the entire franchise has taken by incorporating some of the strengths of Nomura's philosophy (cool set piece moments) without the nasty aftertastes (emo protagonists, belts bucks 'n zippers, asspulling game logic) and then introducing new elements to the series (open world sandbox).

7Th

Fimbulvetr said:
So using the boomerang in a dungeon that requires boomerang(LoZ) is a QTE?

And no, those aren't QTE's. :/

There is a term for what you are talking about, can't remember it right now. But the term is not QTE.

Oh and, despite my gushing, I can still see how CB wouldn't work well.

But I am confident it will work.

You are right that the use of puzzles would make the game way more interesting(we still have yet to see if puzzles will be involved).

Portal was extremely basic but the way it used its main gimmick was interesting and fun.

That's what I want out of Crystal Bearers, CB is the Gravity Gun in my world of assault rifles.

Portal's trailers were filled with Valve showing-off how creative you could be with the portal gun, though.

amirox said:
However, there's been like a trillion different activities videos at this point and they are so varied that this just says "hey, I've followed the game about zero!"

That's exactly what I don't like about it. I prefer games that properly master a single mechanic to games that try to do way too many things at once yet don't manage to create a fulfilling experience out of any of them.

I also don't mind transitions. I take it you're no fan of classic jRPGs and didn't like Nocturne or Etrian Odyssey? Hell, even the DS Mario & Luigi have transitions.

Amir0x

Banned
I dislike Nomura, but I'm not so superficial to believe belts and zippers are the driving force behind it. That's just the most efficient way of turning him into the caricature Nomura really is; the real issues lie much deeper. It is true his art is genuinely awful though.

7th said:
That's exactly what I don't like about it. I prefer games that properly master a single mechanic to games that try to do way too many things at once yet don't manage to create a fulfilling experience out of any of them.

I also don't mind transitions. I take it you're no fan of classic jRPGs and didn't like Nocturne or Etrian Odyssey? Hell, even the DS Mario & Luigi have transitions.

Transitions don't ruin a game for me, I can still enjoy them. I have a MUCH harder time enjoying jRPGs if there are random battles, which thankfully there aren't in either FFXIII or Crystal Bearers. The transitions are a negative, but only slight. I was just checking off a list of my dislikes.

Also, you can eliminate the negatives behind transitions if you can utilize the enemies on screen representations to gain advantage in battle, ala Mario & Luigi. (hopping on their heads before you enter battle, blowing fire on them, or like in Blue Dragon where you can net multiple enemies in a battle for bonuses etc)

sfried

Amir0x said:
I dislike Nomura, but I'm not so superficial to believe belts and zippers are the driving force behind it. That's just the most efficient way of turning him into the caricature Nomura really is; the real issues lie much deeper. It is true his art is genuinely awful though.
Oh I agree. I mean it's the games that he's worked in (post-VI, that is) that sometimes has many of those gameplay elements that I feel as if they've simply ran out of ideas, so they sidetrack the entire story and force you to do X Y and Z.

What's worse, everybody copied it. Why? Simple. FFVII was a huge seller.

Thankfully, there seems to be a revese tide in the industry and it's only a matter of time when we'll return to the glory days of 16-bit console RPGs...(I mean in terms of innovation.)

7Th said:
Isn't that like... literally the definition of interaction?

7Th said:
Portal's trailers were filled with Valve showing-off how creative you could be with the portal gun, though.

Lots of those trailers involved Layle using his powers.

His abilities are what binds those things together.

Other than that, there were trailers of NPCs doing things without Layle's interference(I.E. if wolves get near Skeleton enemies, they'll pester them until the skeletons retaliate. This ties in to my combat analysis because you could, say, use the wolves to distract the skeletons while you dish out damage from a far or have the Skeletons take care of the wolves for you).

hatchx said:
You really think so? Disaster day of Crisis?

I'm very surprised the way this thread has turned. I've never seen so many positive vibes here on gaf before (and I was creeping you guys long before I got my junior account), especially for a wii game that didn't end in galaxy.

I'm also very excited for FF:CC, but I've held off on spoiling it, so your guys excitement is all I have to base it on. Woohoo! Boxing day baby!

Disaster fucking rocks, man. This won't be in Europe this year, sadly. :( I don't think so anyway.

Amir0x

Banned
sfried said:
Oh I agree. I mean it's the games that he's worked in (post-VI, that is) that sometimes has many of those gameplay elements that I feel as if they've simply ran out of ideas, so they sidetrack the entire story and force you to do X Y and Z.

What's worse, everybody copied it. Why? Simple. FFVII was a huge seller.

I think, one, someone needs to bring back the overworld in Final Fantasy games. Seriously. Not fucking clicking on a map. This is a big problem with the exploration in these modern jRPGs.

And two, when designing dungeons, if it is impossible to get fucking lost, you're doing it wrong.

Nomura's art design is terrible and the architecture in these games stopped making sense five games ago, but my issues are random battles, the lack of exploration, and the terrible goddamn stories.

The story in mainline FF games are always going to be terrible, I've begun to realize, so I focus on the exploration now.

sfried

Amir0x said:
I think, one, someone needs to bring back the overworld in Final Fantasy games. Seriously. Not fucking clicking on a map. This is a big problem with the exploration in these modern jRPGs.

And two, when designing dungeons, if it is impossible to get fucking lost, you're doing it wrong.
FFVIII is the worst offender
Nomura's art design is terrible and the architecture in these games stopped making sense five games ago, but my issues are random battles, the lack of exploration, and the terrible goddamn stories.

The story in mainline FF games are always going to be terrible, I've begun to realize, so I focus on the exploration now.
That's what I said. Nomura invented the term "jRPG". A term which I heavily despise and resent, since it mostly symbolizes the Tetsuya Nomura school of thought that everybody else has copied. Urgh!

APZonerunner said:
Disaster fucking rocks, man. This won't be in Europe this year, sadly. :( I don't think so anyway.

It looks like a pretty good game, and it had a lot of variety which, for some reason, turned reviewers off.

7Th

sfried said:
That's what I said. Nomura invented the term "jRPG". A term which I heavily despise and resent, since it mostly symbolizes the Tetsuya Nomura school of thought that everybody else has copied. Urgh!

Except Tales of... games have been the same for YEARS before Nomura even joined SquareEnix and they are still pretty much the epitome of the jRPG.

7Th said:
Except Tales of... games have been the same for YEARS before Nomura even joined SquareEnix and they are still pretty much the epitome of the jRPG.

This.

These cliche's have always existed as part of JRPGs. They just became more mainstream after VII.

And after all of this time the genre is finally starting to change more.

sfried

Fimbulvetr said:
This.

These cliche's have always existed as part of JRPGs. They just became more mainstream after VII.
What about Dragon Slayer and those Nihon Falcom games that resembled Might & Magic?

vareon

Amir0x said:

Ah, exploration. The reason why I played jRPGs, and the number #1 reason why I absolutely loved FF12 :D

Glad CB seemed to focus on this part.

batbeg

Christ at the clusterfuck of this thread by now.

Fimbulvetr said:
It looks like a pretty good game, and it had a lot of variety which, for some reason, turned reviewers off.
The similarities between this and Disaster are my greatest reason for anticipating this game, to be honest. Although I will say I expect this to be somewhat rough around the edges, like Disaster, and I also expect a lot of people are going to dislike it... but the way the hype train is heading now, I think the negative reaction this game is going to get are going to become absolutely frustrating, for me.

I can't wait for the first 7.0.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
7Th said:

Isn't that the definition of interactivity?

ethelred

Now up in this thread: sfried reveals a complete inability to emotionally or psychologically cope with the existence of a character designer whose art is distasteful and proceeds to morph said character designer into the Antichrist at the feet of whom can be laid all the evils and disasters of the modern world.

sfried

ethelred said:
Now up in this thread: sfried reveals a complete inability to emotionally or psychologically cope with the existence of a character designer whose art is distasteful and proceeds to morph said character designer into the Antichrist at the feet of whom can be laid all the evils and disasters of the modern world.
But it's truuuuuuue! Visual-kei is a testament to it. It will doom humanity! :lol

Anyways, Crystal Bearers was in my scope, but 4 Warriors of Light came along, so I dunno what I might potentially enjoy this holliday. Speaking of which, is there an estimate given on game length?

batbeg

sfried said:
But it's truuuuuuue! Visual-kei is a testament to it. It will doom humanity! :lol

Anyways, Crystal Bearers was in my scope, but 4 Warriors of Light came along, so I dunno what I might potentially enjoy this holliday. Speaking of which, is there an estimate given on game length?

Is it so difficult to enjoy two things within a two month period? I actually enjoy several things... every single day! :O

Game is 15-20 hours, I believe.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The hate on QTEs is this generation's buzzword. Come on. When people say QTE I think of simple button presses. Crystal Bearers looks more like context sensitive events where control is relative to the amount of control required.

It seems a lot more like Disaster: Day of Crisis in that regard, and if that's the kind of "QTE" we're going to see in Crystal Bearers then I'm going to be over the fucking moon due to how insanely fun and varied Disaster is/was.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I think I've gradually been more and more open minded to the concept of varied gameplay as time goes on. I think something like Mario and Luigi 3 did a fantastic job of incorporating fun mini-games into the midst of a RPG structure, actually improving upon the overall experience through great pacing and variety.

Crystal Bearers will undoubtedly feature more of these, but judging from the information thus far, they will be completely incorporated within the context of the actual adventure. I look forward to it.

BorkBork said:
I think I've gradually been more and more open minded to the concept of varied gameplay as time goes on. I think something like Mario and Luigi 3 did a fantastic job of incorporating fun mini-games into the midst of a RPG structure, actually improving upon the overall experience through great pacing and variety.

Crystal Bearers will undoubtedly feature more of these, but judging from the information thus far, they will be completely incorporated within the context of the actual adventure. I look forward to it.
I'd even say I'm a little giddy.

I may even give XIII a shot... if MS fixes my 360 for free.

But I have a feeling Crystal Bearers is more up my alley then FFXIII.

EatChildren said:
The hate on QTEs is this generation's buzzword. Come on. When people say QTE I think of simple button presses. Crystal Bearers looks more like context sensitive events where control is relative to the amount of control required.

I hate gaming buzz words, I really do. But it's even worse when people use thing withou knowing what they mean.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kenka said:
Be warned : the video below is so awesome you might want to stop it in order to breathe :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM_p4vqmSFU

Fucking trailer of the year.

35dc8hz.gif

Will watch when I get home.

Top Bottom