• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (TGS Trailer)

brandonh83 said:
Wow. After viewing the trailer, I will not be buying this game.

Remember this:

brandonh83 said:
yeah I think we'll have a better GAF friendship if we just don't talk about past Final Fantasy games at all, whatsoever. I truly believe things will be better off that way.

I propose it applies to current FF games as well.

Mega Mike said:
So is this game an RPG and does it have RPG elements, or is it action adventure like Zelda?

It's more Zelda like.
As far as we know, there's no leveling up or stat based gameplay (since the character has been described as basically an all powerful super hero that knows he's badass).
The combat is based around your use of your powers, and using those powers on monsters results in different effects.

ctalamode

Neo Member
Looks awesome, day 1, etc. -- but the logo is absolutely horrific. It just looks awful.

I guess the logo doesn't really matter if the game's good, though.

I stopped checking up on this shortly after its reappearance this year so I'm kind of shocked by how well developed this game appears to be. That overworld map on the front page fills me with hope and expectations.

Prax

Welp, the game's always made me think of Zelda titles, and this still confirms that feeling.

Also as a plus, Layle is still a jerk, and that's pretty great.

However, I really enjoy multi-character parties, so I hope the other characters will be playable as well. .. .. PLEEAASSEEE.

batbeg

Mega Mike said:
So is this game an RPG and does it have RPG elements, or is it action adventure like Zelda?

More like Zelda, as the only status-changing equipment you have are accessories, I believe? It seems like even less of an RPG than the original FFCC, anyways.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I really like the music choice for this game, have been very surprised with the trailers music; although the quality is not top notch, the style is really refreshing and fitting to the style of the game.

I'm really considering buying a Wii only for this game.

manueldelalas said:
I really like the music choice for this game, have been very surprised with the trailers music; although the quality is not top notch, the style is really refreshing and fitting to the style of the game.

I really like the music on the site. Very nice.:D

manueldelalas said:

You really shouldn't.
There are many other games that you SHOULD buy a Wii for, though (like No More Heroes).
:p

The Zelda comparisons are just spot on. Judging from the trailers, the atmosphere is like if Twilight Princess were as vibrant as it should be. This will be the steampunk Zelda we'll never get.

I love how he's humming the main Final Fantasy theme at the beginning!

This game does look fantastic. I was really excited after reading the Nintendo Power feature a few months back, but this video definitely sealed the deal. Can't wait to try it out.

AniHawk

I admit that when it comes to story in video games, RPGs are a guilty pleasure. So the main character being a total shithead because he knows he's a total shithead (and not because he's such a downer jackass) is great. It's like if Vyse in SoA was a jerk.

That being said, the actual game stuff looks pretty fucking nice. Love the music, too.

Volcynika

Hopefully the youtube version clears up since right now it's really pixelly, Downloaded directly form the site, but not sure if I can make it any better if the processing doesn't fix it.

you know what the best part is? Nomura is nowhere near this game.

FF game of the year (since gaiden won't be released outside of japan this year)

skeletons riding motorcycles! when was the last time we saw this? Castlevania 64?

JDSN

Banned
The trailer did a pretty good part showing the full extension of Layle's dickery.

Did they changed his sidekick's clothing? It looks more like an uniform now.

AniHawk

GaussTek said:
Nice, this looks like a main FF game to me

I propose we rename this "Final Fantasy XIII" and the old Final Fantasy XIII, "Lightning and her Shitty Friends" as part of the "Nomura and his Shitty Games" series.

JDSN said:
The trailer did a pretty good part showing the full extension of Layle's dickery.

He's wearing two different outfits in the video.

ethelred

DarknessTear said:
Looks good, but I have a small worry. Is this developed by the Code Age Commanders team? I didn't really think about it until now.. well, unless the CAC team developed Crystal Chronicles GC.. I guess it's okay.

It's directed by Toshiyuki Itahana, whose only prior directorial credit was Code Age Commanders. Before that, he was just a character designer. Frankly, I don't think his sole experience in the transition from artist to game designer went that well.

AniHawk said:
I thought it was part of the old IX team.
AceBandage said:
It's developed by whatever team has done the other CC games, as far as I know.

The original Crystal Chronicles didn't have that much of the FF9 team on it -- as I noted in the FF13 thread a few days ago, not only did the enormously talented director of FF9 not work on Crystal Chronicles, but none of the gameplay/battle design staff worked on it, nor did the composer, nor did the art director, and so on. Mostly, the only people who moved over from FF9 to Crystal Chronicles were a handful of artists, one of the game's three character designers, and FF9's event designer.

That event designer served as director for Crystal Chronicles, but he was a pretty experienced developer even before that point, and he had a long history in design roles with Square. Unfortunately, as I said, he's not directing Crystal Bearers -- a character designer who made Code Age Commanders is.

I think Aoki is a pretty good designer and the results of that showed in Crystal Chronicles. I think so far the evidence for Itahana being a good game designer is incredibly weak, and the results of that are showing in what we've seen of Crystal Bearers -- so far, the gameplay looks really shallow and pretty lame overall. It's pretty, for sure, but I don't have much confidence at all in this turning out to be a good game.

As far as it succeeding at being a great Zelda game, well... those succeed first and foremost thanks to good dungeon design and fun puzzle-solving based on tool usage and nothing we've seen of Crystal Bearers suggests it'll do either of those things. I don't see any emphasis on clever dungeons or neat tools; all I see is shallow "wave the remote around" telekinesis. The original Crystal Chronicles certainly didn't have clever dungeons or neat tools, but it got by thanks to the joint competitive and cooperative multiplayer fun; none of that is in this game.

I guess we'll see.

JDSN said:

Nah, it's pretty much the same.

(From the original trailer)

FFCC2-4.png

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
CRYSTAL BEARERS AND NO MORE HEROES 2 WITHIN THE SAME 2 MONTH PERIOD?!

I wish more people got excited about Wii third party games too, then this would happen more often

This trailer looked ace, game always looked ace etc etc. Can't wait. Hope everyone accepts the title for what it is and jumps in for a whirl.

JDSN

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
He's wearing two different outfits in the video.
Nice, this is the kind of little things that tell me a developer went the extra mile, its also good so see him not getting a log in his chest and even holding his ground against that Lilty giant.

AniHawk said:
I propose we rename this "Final Fantasy XIII" and the old Final Fantasy XIII, "Lightning and her Shitty Friends (with SHIVABIKE!)" as part of the "Nomura and his Shitty Games" series.
Fixed.

Edit: Ace, im talking about this one:
2vsmccg.png

AniHawk

John Harker said:
CRYSTAL BEARERS AND NO MORE HEROES 2 WITHIN THE SAME 2 MONTH PERIOD?!

And S&P2.

I feel it's unfair to S&P2 to lump it in with those games though. I liked NMH, but I don't think it deserves the attention it received. The sequel might be a legitimately good game. It certainly looks like an improvement.

ethelred

AniHawk said:
I propose we rename this "Final Fantasy XIII" and the old Final Fantasy XIII, "Lightning and her Shitty Friends" as part of the "Nomura and his Shitty Games" series.
JDSN said:

I'm pretty tired of Nomura's designs and I'm way sick of Nojima's stories, but say what you will for FF13 -- at least it's got some grade-fucking-A game designers on its staff that'll craft some pretty excellent gameplay. With Front Misison/Arc the Lad 2 creator Toshiro Tsuchida doing battle design again, I'm pretty sure that, just like FF10, whatever other flaws it has will pale next to the excellent game design. And I'd sure as hell take him over the Code Age Commanders team.

Top Bottom