• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (TGS Trailer)

jrricky

Banned
dock said:
lolitonberry.png

Gothic Lolita Tonberry? This game is insane!
Thats the character I was talking about earlier...and then I realized it wasnt a girl turning her back and raising the javelin, but a creature in a dress looking at the screen...:lol

batbeg

ethelred said:
This game in specific, as I said, looks shallow because the director has specifically noted over and over again that he wants the game to be as simple as it can be.

Really? I remember around E3 he said something about the elderly being able to play, but not much else.

ethelred

AceBandage said:
Anyway, you were the one that decided to enter this thread and stir things up. If you expected not to be countered on it, then I'm sorry.

Oh, I didn't come in here to stir shit up. I just came in here to answer a couple of questions and to post my own thoughts (and concerns) on the game. Posting anything less than euphoric glee is not the same thing as trolling or shit stirring, I'm afraid. And as far as being countered goes? I'm always more than willing to take on all comers. No worries!

AceBandage said:
There's quite a bit more to it than just "waving the cursor around", actually. [...] It's not like he's making this a "My first video game speak and say."

Well, we'll see! I certainly hope I'm wrong, because I'd rather have more good games than fewer good games. But as much as I love the visuals and as much as I would like to have a great motion-controlled action adventure game, I don't have particularly high hopes for this one.

batbeg said:
Really? I remember around E3 he said something about the elderly being able to play, but not much else.

Yeah, there was that concerning comment, but it's something he's said a number of other times, as well. The overall emphasis that comes out of him during all the interviews he's given just worry me as to the priorities with the game.

josh_tarrant

Neo Member
I am not a final fantasy fan - never played any of the numbered games. But this really has my interest. The wii is missing big action games.

Is it just me or does the trailer have a major eragon vibe.

All of that stuff, and seeing a good looking trailer for once, and the release date change, and freaking Layle.

I can't absorb all of that awesome at once, I just can't.

I say this every trailer, but honestly the game just keeps looking better and better the more I see of it. :D

Everything about it just looks like a fun time, like you can't help but smile while watching the trailers. I love the Crystal Chronicles series.

<3 Belle.

this game looks awesome. buying this, darkside chronicles, and new super mario bros. wii in U.S. this year. Oh and Silent Hill. Ahhhhh too many games.

7Th

ethelred said:
I'm pretty tired of Nomura's designs and I'm way sick of Nojima's stories, but say what you will for FF13 -- at least it's got some grade-fucking-A game designers on its staff that'll craft some pretty excellent gameplay. With Front Misison/Arc the Lad 2 creator Toshiro Tsuchida doing battle design again, I'm pretty sure that, just like FF10, whatever other flaws it has will pale next to the excellent game design. And I'd sure as hell take him over the Code Age Commanders team.

Nojima has nothing to do with XIII, bro. Nomura isn't very involved, either.

ethelred said:
The original Crystal Chronicles didn't have that much of the FF9 team on it -- as I noted in the FF13 thread a few days ago, not only did the enormously talented director of FF9 not work on Crystal Chronicles, but none of the gameplay/battle design staff worked on it, nor did the composer, nor did the art director, and so on. Mostly, the only people who moved over from FF9 to Crystal Chronicles were a handful of artists, one of the game's three character designers, and FF9's event designer.

That event designer served as director for Crystal Chronicles, but he was a pretty experienced developer even before that point, and he had a long history in design roles with Square. Unfortunately, as I said, he's not directing Crystal Bearers -- a character designer who made Code Age Commanders is.

I think Aoki is a pretty good designer and the results of that showed in Crystal Chronicles. I think so far the evidence for Itahana being a good game designer is incredibly weak, and the results of that are showing in what we've seen of Crystal Bearers -- so far, the gameplay looks really shallow and pretty lame overall. It's pretty, for sure, but I don't have much confidence at all in this turning out to be a good game.

As far as it succeeding at being a great Zelda game, well... those succeed first and foremost thanks to good dungeon design and fun puzzle-solving based on tool usage and nothing we've seen of Crystal Bearers suggests it'll do either of those things. I don't see any emphasis on clever dungeons or neat tools; all I see is shallow "wave the remote around" telekinesis. The original Crystal Chronicles certainly didn't have clever dungeons or neat tools, but it got by thanks to the joint competitive and cooperative multiplayer fun; none of that is in this game.

I guess we'll see.
LOL. You are calling Kazuhiko Aoki a talented game designer because of his work directing FFCC, and then go on to diss Code Age Commanders's gameplay when Aoki was the LEAD GAME DESIGNER of that game.

I guess you don't know what a game director does.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yes.

YES.

this looks awesome. the last FINAL FANTASY i enjoyed was 9, and i'm getting that sort of vibe from CRYSTAL BEARERS. again, i'm all about any rpg that isn't stuck up its own ass and doesn't take itself so deathly serious. i have high hopes for this one.

ethelred

7Th said:
Nojima has nothing to do with XIII, bro. Nomura isn't very involved, either.

Oh, who's writing? Watanabe and Toriyama? That's not much better! As far as Nomura, I think most people would look at the main character designs and say he's involved enough, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

darkhunger said:
LOL. You are calling Kazuhiko Aoki a talented game designer because of his work directing FFCC, and then go on to diss Code Age Commanders's gameplay when Aoki was the LEAD GAME DESIGNER of that game.

I said Aoki was "pretty good," which I don't think is some sort of high praise. That said, I wasn't aware that he was the lead game designer on Code Age Commanders, which had really bad gameplay regardless of who designed it. My familiarity with its staff mostly centered around the fact that Itahana directed it, just as Itahana is directing Crystal Bearers.

darkhunger said:
I guess you don't know what a game director does.

I view the director as the person whose job it is to determine the overall feel and priority set of the game -- what things are most important and should be most heavily emphasized from a project perspective, how the different elements of the game (such as the narrative, music, art, and gameplay) come together, and that sort of thing. I also view the director as the person who makes most high level determinations as to how the game should play while the finer elements of designing out the specific execution of that are typically handled on a lower level. And lastly, the director is the person ultimately and finally responsible for the overall quality of the project.

Do you find this definition egregiously wrong in some sense? If so, please educate me.

CTLance

I move we STFU about the possible implications of staff choices, other games on different platforms, other games on similar platforms, or anything else that isn't "OMG TRAILUR LOOX PURTY!!!"

Because I like the trailer. I could not possibly care less about these issues at this precise moment in time. Trailer. Now. Good.

Right?

Oh gawd I want to play this so bad.

freddy

Banned
^ Especially when some of the parties don't even seem to know who worked on what...

Nothing worse than sitting through a boring lecture, then finding out it was questionable at best.

sinxtanx

ITT: ethelred will not buy a game

That trailer just cemented my resolve to purchase this game even more than before.
So much variety and humor and great music in one space, how could I not look forward to it? Controls really doesn't look bad either, still, the fun in this game will probably come more from testing interactions in the game world rather than fluid control.
if the controls are good this will be my GOTY, easily

ethelred said:
I said Aoki was "pretty good," which I don't think is some sort of high praise. That said, I wasn't aware that he was the lead game designer on Code Age Commanders, which had really bad gameplay regardless of who designed it. My familiarity with its staff mostly centered around the fact that Itahana directed it, just as Itahana is directing Crystal Bearers.
Right, so basically you judge CB basically by what its director did in his very first game direction project. Yet in another post you seem to make a point about who FFXIII's gameplay designers are and how you have faith in them. You don't see the hypocrisy in that?

And yeah, you seem to have a good idea of what a game director does, so why criticize one aspect of a game (which is designed by a guy you praised) and pretend that any other game directed by the director would suck?

In another words, you have no idea what you're talking about.

ethelred

CTLance said:
I move we STFU about the possible implications of staff choices, other games on different platforms, other games on similar platforms, or anything else that isn't "OMG TRAILUR LOOX PURTY!!!"

Because I like the trailer. I could not possibly care less about these issues at this precise moment in time. Trailer. Now. Good.
freddy said:
^ Especially when some of the parties don't even seem to know who worked on what...

Nothing worse than sitting through a boring lecture, then finding out it was questionable at best.

Awww, so you guys are back to "waaaaah people are posting mean things about the game that everyone should post nothing but 'i'm cumming!!!' over." Okay.

darkhunger said:
Right, so basically you judge CB basically by what its director did in his very first game direction project. Yet in another post you seem to make a point about who FFXIII's gameplay designers are and how you have faith in them. You don't see the hypocrisy in that?

No, I haven't judged Crystal Bearers. I haven't played Crystal Bearers. I've expressed concerns about it for a number of reasons, and the prior experience of the director was only one of them, but I guess it helps you guys to fixate on that one to the exclusion of all else so I'm perfectly okay with dropping that point if it'll help you move it along. As far as FF13 goes, again, I only mentioned that because some other folks were talking about it in the context of a comparison to Crystal Bearers, but if you crave clarity here, then note that I also liked a number of Motomu Toriyama's directorial efforts.

7Th

ethelred said:
Oh, who's writing? Watanabe and Toriyama? That's not much better! As far as Nomura, I think most people would look at the main character designs and say he's involved enough, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Hey! We don't know if Watanabe is involved yet! Don't jinx it! At this point only Toriyama has been confirmed for a writing credit.

Sipowicz

Banned
jrricky said:
You dont say...:lol

AniHawk said:
with all the other failures of the universe.

what the heck? if the guy doesnt like the look of the game from the trailer then there's nothing wrong with that. i personally am looking forward to final fantasy agito 13 and 4 warriors of light more than this game too

freddy

Banned
ethelred said:
Awww, so you guys are back to "waaaaah people are posting mean things about the game that everyone should post nothing but 'i'm cumming!!!' over." Okay.
No what I'm saying is despite all your ramblings it seems you don't know what you're talking about. I thought that was quite clear in my post.

Ethelred, IMHO the Final Fantasy games are in need of a serious refresh. Your posts appear to indicate, from past experience viewing them, that you are more of a traditionalist than someone who is always interested in something new with regards to RPGs (correctly me if i'm 100% wrong).

This game looks better than FF8, FF9, and FF10 to me. I never played FF12 myself, but I think I left my desire to play traditional RPGs at the door after I played FF8 and after I played WoW. They're generally boring and uninspired. So this game excites me from a gameplay standpoint. Story, etc etc., well we'll see.

ethelred

freddy said:
No what I'm saying is despite all your ramblings it seems you don't know what you're talking about. I thought that was quite clear in my post.

Oh, I'm quite certain I haven't been rambling -- I've stated my points rather clearly, concisely, and in an organized fashion. Work on your literacy some? And, oh, I'm so wounded by the accusation, but I do know what I'm talking about... even if I don't know everything, and am perfectly willing to admit when I've erred. I was mistaken in only two things: first, as to who was writing FF13 (which is obviously not central to this game); and second, I was unaware of one person who worked on a different game. None of the things I've said about the staff of Crystal Bearers have been incorrect, and none of the things I've said about how the Crystal Bearers team is not the FF9 team have been incorrect.

kenji

umm.. i didn't read every post.. but is it real that part of the FF9 staff is working on it?
they also worked on the other CCs or is Bearers their first CC work?

this could be the reason why this game appears so awesome

Wow. Someone has a rational, critical, and informed opinion and people flip out because it's not filled with blind love? I'm just going to assume that most here are getting their feelings hurt over Etherled's snark, which I didn't find present in his original post whatsoever. I for one like to be informed about the creative staff behind games and am also concerned that the gameplay will highly repetitive and shallow based on the videos shown to date.

TheKingsCrown said:
Ethelred, IMHO the Final Fantasy games are in need of a serious refresh. Your posts appear to indicate, from past experience viewing them, that you are more of a traditionalist than someone who is always interested in something new with regards to RPGs (correctly me if i'm 100% wrong).

The issue is that providing a refresh doesn't have to mean making gameplay shallow as a trade-off for accessibility, which hopefully won't be the case but very little in the videos shown to date do much to suggest otherwise.

sinxtanx

kenji said:
umm.. i didn't read every post.. but is it real that part of the FF9 staff is working on it?

this could be the reason why this game appears so awesome
I think the reason this game appears awesome is because it is. The development team is probably a good mix of people who cooperate easily.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Saint10118 said:
Wow. Someone has a rational, critical, and informed opinion and people flip out because it's not filled with blind love? I'm just going to assume that most here are getting their feelings hurt over Etherled's snark, which I didn't find present in his original post whatsoever. I for one like to be informed about the creative staff behind games and am also concerned that the gameplay will highly repetitive and shallow based on the videos shown to date.

Seriously, this is ridiculous. I understand that threads like these are little more than cheerleading threads, but come on people.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow, the vocal version of the music used on the website was really nice, too bad it gets around 10 seconds in the trailer.

Can't say much about the gameplay as no one's ever got a change to try it out yet.
But the game's certainly got character and I hope it turns out to be a solid game in the end.

freddy

Banned
ethelred said:
Oh, I'm quite certain I haven't been rambling -- I've stated my points rather clearly, concisely, and in an organized fashion. Work on your literacy some? And, oh, I'm so wounded by the accusation, but I do know what I'm talking about... even if I don't know everything, and am perfectly willing to admit when I've erred. I was mistaken in only two things: first, as to who was writing FF13 (which is obviously not central to this game); and second, I was unaware of one person who worked on a different game. None of the things I've said about the staff of Crystal Bearers have been incorrect, and none of the things I've said about how the Crystal Bearers team is not the FF9 team have been incorrect.
Look there's no need to get all defensive. The game may very well turn out bad and you will be vindicated.

I'll decide if it was good enough when I'm done playing through it. After all, that's the best way to judge whether a game is fun or not. Sometimes even games with faults can be fun. I'm loving, what I see so far. It sucks that you have reservations though. I hope it doesn't dampen your enjoyment when you play it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
freddy said:
It sucks that you have reservations though, I hope it doesn't dampen your enjoyment when you play it.

Why on Earth would it suck to have reservations about a game? I'm sure if ethel likes the game and thinks its well done his initial reservations won't matter.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ethelred is raising some good points and he wasn't even being particular aggressive about it (not anymore than he usually is anyway). I appreciate his input.

I'm one of the GAF members who's most hyped about this game and I certainly did my share of posting updates and opinions on it. However, as good as it looks for some of us, it still hasn't proven to be a certain hit. Of course it will only do so to each of us when we actually get to play it. I actually share some of his concerns but to be honest, I'm glad there are people who focus on the positives, on the negatives, and then there are those who focus on both. There's also the fact that different things have different weight to different people, like the development team involved. That's what (should) bring good discussion.

There's no need to be overly defensive and do snarky one sentence posts when you can instead refute (or agree with) the points he brought up. Works much better.

----

I'm SO using that wallpaper. Agreed with the Champloo vibe.

Haven't watched the trailer yet, downloading it right now.

ethelred

kenji said:

Well, Crushed has already said that no one cares about this stuff, so it's pretty clear that you don't actually care. Besides, freddy might flip out again if the thread devolves into boring lectures about anything other than how great the game looks. :(

darkhunger said:

Yeah, that was said about the original game, too, and it was incorrect. But if I'm wrong, then name 'em. I already said that Crystal Chronicles had a number of artists transition over from FF9, and I fully expect that those artists and graphic team members have moved from Crystal Chronicles over to Crystal Bearers -- which is probably why the game looks so great. But as I said, none of the FF9 gameplay/battle designers, nor the game's director, nor the composer, nor the art director -- all of which I would consider to be pretty key positions -- worked on Crystal Chronicles. And nothing has been stated about them working on Crystal Bearers, either.

ethelred said:
None of the things I've said about the staff of Crystal Bearers have been incorrect, and none of the things I've said about how the Crystal Bearers team is not the FF9 team have been incorrect.
Oh, about that:

http://wii.rpgsite.net/articles/155/113.html

RPGSite: Can we expect to see all the traditional FF elements in this game?
Toshiyuki Itahana: The team of this game has many staff members who worked on FF9, and you can also expect to see some familiar faces and elements.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Easy_D said:
Wow, the vocal version of the music used on the website was really nice, too bad it gets around 10 seconds in the trailer.

Can't say much about the gameplay as no one's ever got a change to try it out yet.
But the game's certainly got character and I hope it turns out to be a solid game in the end.

eh? i think plenty of the media outlets have played it. just google "crystal bearers preview" and you'll get one from ign and several others. snippets:

Gameplay is a blast, basically blending the Final Fantasy world with something out of Force Unleashed. There's no turn-based attacks, and instead the game is entirely action/adventure focused. Running Layle around town is just like running him around in battle, with the game's cursor control used for on-screen targeting and a sort of force manipulation. A quick hold of the A button locks onto enemies, items, random NPC characters milling around, or actual structure pieces, and a flick of the wrist sends it flying in real physics. And it feels great.

and this part is totally bad ass

darkhunger said:

freddy

Banned
Look, it seems I may have hit a nerve with the boring lectures comments and some other stuff I've said in this thread. I certainly didn't mean to make anyone feel bad or anything. I didn't realise the discussion was getting so serious for some. I apologise.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
schuelma said:
Seriously, this is ridiculous. I understand that threads like these are little more than cheerleading threads, but come on people.
he's also ethelred, who's notorious for presenting moving goalposts and nitpicking logic that essentially troll Wii related JRPG threads (though he may troll other JRPG threads as well, i'm not certain, i tend to hang around threads that have to do with the platforms i'll buy for). it's blatant trolling at worst, and misguided pretentious pseudo-intellectualism at best.

so i won't condemn it, but i certainly won't condone it,
blue penis style

freddy

Banned
schuelma said:
Why on Earth would it suck to have reservations about a game? I'm sure if ethel likes the game and thinks its well done his initial reservations won't matter.
What I mean is I must suck to have reservations that can prevent you from getting excited for a release. Like you say though I'm sure he's a big boy and can handle that. Sometimes I'm just glad I can try some games out on their own merits though without any background knowledge. Everyone is different though.

kenji

RPGSite: Can we expect to see all the traditional FF elements in this game?
Toshiyuki Itahana: The team of this game has many staff members who worked on FF9, and you can also expect to see some familiar faces and elements.
oh yes, I remember that interview
I remember i said I'd LOVE to see Gidan in this game :lol

ethelred said:
Yeah, that was said about the original game, too, and it was incorrect. But if I'm wrong, then name 'em. I already said that Crystal Chronicles had a number of artists transition over from FF9, and I fully expect that those artists and graphic team members have moved from Crystal Chronicles over to Crystal Bearers -- which is probably why the game looks so great. But as I said, none of the FF9 gameplay/battle designers, nor the game's director, nor the composer, nor the art director -- all of which I would consider to be pretty key positions -- worked on Crystal Chronicles. And nothing has been stated about them working on Crystal Bearers, either.
Right, so the director is confused about the people working on his team.

Thanks for the thought.:lol

Top Bottom