• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Dimensions (iOS/Android) Screens and Info

I was looking forward to this. Now I am not.

That looks god awful. If you're going to go for the old school sprite look, don't apply all those crappy filters on them to make them look smooth. And don't for the love of god use smooth fonts either...Looks horrid.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking forward to this. Now I am not.

That looks god awful. If you're going to go for the old school sprite look, don't apply all those crappy filters on them to make them look smooth. And don't for the love of god use smooth fonts either...Looks horrid.

Hopefully there's an option to remove those filters. There has to be, right?

Give me raw ass pixels damnit!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hopefully there's an option to remove those filters. There has to be, right?

Give me raw ass pixels damnit!
Most likely not. Chrono Trigger on iOS also comes with an obligatory filter that makes it look like ass.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Am I so wrong in thinking that if Square-Enix:

• Made an original "FF" game in 2D for iOS
  • Aimed for an FF4 level of content
  • Used it as an opportunity to try out new, up-and-coming artists, directors, and composers
  • Put a modicum of effort into making it look decent, given the platform
  • Sold it for $10

it could probably be extremely successful?

Define extremely successful ? I doubt it would sell way more than ther slow-effort spin-offs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This English port looks so much worse than the JP version that it's actually kind of insulting. I'm actually insulted by how awful it is.

On one hand, if this is the game I think it is, JOBS! On the other, that is an extremely ugly looking game. There's no reason to mix resolutions in your art, and the smoothing looks pretty bad either way.

Bladenic

http://rpgfan.com/news/2012/1553.html

Maybe it looks better in motion? Really though, it's a port of a Japanese cellphone game, we really shouldn't have expected some sort of miracle. The preview is pretty positive on the other aspects.

Will buy personally. Besides the graphics, everything else seems to be perfect for a nostalgic feel of old FF.

What IS with Square Enix and their crappy fonts on their iOS games? They've had this problem for almost every iOS game they've released. The only game I know that doesn't have an ugly sans serif font is Final Fantasy Tactics.

You'd think for the high prices they charge on games that are just ports of existing games, they'd at least put in an aesthetically pleasing font. Ugh.

5 years ago I'd be all over a new 2D classic-style Final Fantasy, but SE's laziness is something I do not want to reward with a purchase.

Goli

What IS with Square Enix and their crappy fonts on their iOS games? They've had this problem for almost every iOS game they've released. The only game I know that doesn't have an ugly sans serif font is Final Fantasy Tactics.

You'd think for the high prices they charge on games that are just ports of existing games, they'd at least put in an aesthetically pleasing font. Ugh.

5 years ago I'd be all over a new 2D classic-style Final Fantasy, but SE's laziness is something I do not want to reward with a purchase.

FFI and II don't, and a lot of others don't too. I think the only ones that do and it looks terrible are this, Chrono Trigger and FFIII.

FFI and II don't, and a lot of others don't too. I think the only ones that do and it looks terrible are this, Chrono Trigger and FFIII.

My bad, FF I+II don't have ugly sans serif fonts. They have ugly serif fonts.

mzl.rzuwtkfu.320x480-75.jpg

Ugh.

Aeana

Gosh I hope that virtual dpad just shows up wherever you tap, because the bottom right corner of the screen is not where I want it to be.

Slime

Banned
Pixels are part of the charm in games like this. Wish they wouldn't smooth everything out and use super generic fonts.

bubnbob

Banned
Pixels are part of the charm in games like this. Wish they wouldn't smooth everything out and use super generic fonts.

That might fly on a GBA Micro screen... but now yu have people who refuse to buy a game if it doesnt support retina.

Goli

It does according to the videos posted above...

Actually, if you look at the "Underground Exploration" video, the d-pad shows up elsewhere at around 0:10 and then the person playing makes it appear on that terrible position.
Also, on that same video, it seems the game has some sort of auto-battle option... I hope it's like FFIVDS's auto-battle and not FFIVCC's.

Slime

Banned
That might fly on a GBA Micro screen... but now yu have people who refuse to buy a game if it doesnt support retina.

If they're only going to cater to people who miss the point then they probably shouldn't even make games in this style.

KiTA

UI is a bit brutal, but it makes sense when you realize they intend for this to be playable on the tiny iPhone screen. While many people are clamoring for FF13 style graphics in the UI, well, it wouldn't fit, and usability has to trump shine.

More worryingly is the price. As I mentioned over at Kotaku, if they keep the same prices for the US release, we should expect to pay around $55 for the entire game across 1 year:

Base game + Chapter 1: Free (Released September 6th, 2010)
Chapter 2: 525 yen (~$6.50 USD)
Chapters 3 - 10: 315 yen (~$4.00) each, total: 2520 yen ($31.65 USD)
Chapter 11: 525 yen
Chapter 12, 13: 420 yen ($5.27) each, total: 840 ($10.54 USD) (Released August 8th, 2011)

Total: 4410 yen ($55 USD) Source: Wikipedia

Chapter 11, 12, and 13 were more expensive, but were also larger, and considered the "ending" (or climax if you want to get fancy) chapters, apparently, with all the plot points coming together and all that. Kinda mean to jump the price up at the end in order to drain a few more bucks out of people, though.

I imagine we'll see a discount due to us not being really used to episodic game releases like this: I'm guessing they'll aim for a price point of about $40 across 12 months, or about $3 - $3.50 a chapter, with the first chapter being free.

Which all told isn't bad. I know we're in the era of $0.99 Angry Birds releases, but a 40-50 hour Square Enix RPG is probably worth more than a sodapop at 7-11.

bubnbob

Banned
They haven't mentioned anything about pricing have they? Hold out hope... The only game that they've done with IAPs is Fortune Street.

Everything else has been one and done (all the ports), or with free updates (Chaos Rings)

Ok it does look better in motion. Still not keen on the artstyle and the font but the music is awesome and I loved I and II on iOS, so I'll no doubt pick it up anyway haha

Goli

They haven't mentioned anything about pricing have they? Hold out hope... The only game that they've done with IAPs is Fortune Street.

Everything else has been one and done (all the ports), or with free updates (Chaos Rings)

Wouldn't surprise me if this does end up being released with a base prologue chapter for free and the others unlocked via IAP. Drakerider/Star Burial Dragnir is being released in this way, so perhaps all future SE smartphone RPGs will too.

Looks a little better in motion... Battles at least.

But I'd rather not fumble through a touch interface. It looks pretty slow compared to a D-pad.

I don't get it. How can it be slower to just, say, tap on a spell from a huge list, rather than selecting it with a d-pad?

RPGCrazied

Even if I wanted to play, if it was cheap enough, I don't have an iOS device. I think they should put this on PSN and XBLA too.

Vamphuntr

Wouldn't surprise me if this does end up being released with a base prologue chapter for free and the others unlocked via IAP. Drakerider/Star Burial Dragnir is being released in this way, so perhaps all future SE smartphone RPGs will too.

It's going to be episodic I would guess. After all, didn't SE sell FFIV the Years After in multiple pieces on WiiWare? That was a port of a cellphone game too. In the end they included the full thing in FFIV Complete Collection on PSP.

Even if I wanted to play, if it was cheap enough, I don't have an iOS device. I think they should put this on PSN and XBLA too.

SE loves to port games so I would think a port could happen.

Really hoping the first chapter is free or that there is a trial. Crossing my fingers so that there is an option to remove the blurry filter too because the game looks awful. I'll give this a go if the complete thing is about 25$ and if the trial is good.

Teknoman

The music really sounds nice, but it would have been great if they just did the game in a similar sprite style to the original. Forget FFXIII menu styles, just something similar to FF IV-IX would have been fine, especially since its going for that classic feel. I'm really hoping for some sort of "classic" option where everything isnt all smudged smooth.

@MUWANdo

Banned
They really should have released it with the original sprites as a 3DS eShop game, then released a proper redrawn version on iOS or whatever later.

KiTA

They really should have released it with the original sprites as a 3DS eShop game, then released a proper redrawn version on iOS or whatever later.

Did it have original sprites? It was original a cellphone game in Japan, so it might have always looked like this, except for the UI.

Edit: Answered my own question:
http://elder-geek.com/2011/09/tgs-final-fantasy-legends-headin-to-ios-android-next-year/

06_px240epi5-525x315.jpg

Compare and contrast:

http://www.gamezone.com/news/final-fantasy-dimensions-coming-to-mobile-devices-this-summer
news-ffdimensions-2.jpg

So this is the original art of the game, they did not redraw any 16 bit sprites as vectors or whatever you call those more modern fancypants things.

Top Bottom