• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Dimensions (iOS/Android) Screens and Info

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
UI is a bit brutal, but it makes sense when you realize they intend for this to be playable on the tiny iPhone screen. While many people are clamoring for FF13 style graphics in the UI, well, it wouldn't fit, and usability has to trump shine.

More worryingly is the price. As I mentioned over at Kotaku, if they keep the same prices for the US release, we should expect to pay around $55 for the entire game across 1 year:

Base game + Chapter 1: Free (Released September 6th, 2010)
Chapter 2: 525 yen (~$6.50 USD)
Chapters 3 - 10: 315 yen (~$4.00) each, total: 2520 yen ($31.65 USD)
Chapter 11: 525 yen
Chapter 12, 13: 420 yen ($5.27) each, total: 840 ($10.54 USD) (Released August 8th, 2011)

Total: 4410 yen ($55 USD) Source: Wikipedia

Chapter 11, 12, and 13 were more expensive, but were also larger, and considered the "ending" (or climax if you want to get fancy) chapters, apparently, with all the plot points coming together and all that. Kinda mean to jump the price up at the end in order to drain a few more bucks out of people, though.

I imagine we'll see a discount due to us not being really used to episodic game releases like this: I'm guessing they'll aim for a price point of about $40 across 12 months, or about $3 - $3.50 a chapter, with the first chapter being free.

Which all told isn't bad. I know we're in the era of $0.99 Angry Birds releases, but a 40-50 hour Square Enix RPG is probably worth more than a sodapop at 7-11.

I doubt they'll use this price model. That's pretty much a standard Japanese price model for their cell phone games. I believe many years ago Before Crisis even worked on a monthly subscription plan.

Foffy

Banned
Wait, this won't be released as a full game? Will they pull another The After Years where the base download is the full game and you keep buying unlock keys? :<

Vamphuntr

Interesting. The english site has no mention of an Android version while the Japanese site does http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/ffdl/jp/

Wait, this won't be released as a full game? Will they pull another The After Years where the base download is the full game and you keep buying unlock keys? :<

According to this http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/494/494389/ it seems you get the complete package.

blanco21

Please no recolored boss sprites. Nothing feels cheaper than when you rehash stuff we've all seen hundreds of times already.

I hope this doesn't cost like, $35 like the after years did on Wii.

Also, that english site not mentioning android sort of worries me. I just got an asus transformer and want to play an oldschool rpg on it.

Vamphuntr

Are the other final fantasy games on Android or is it iOS only? I'm new to this, and couldn't find them on the store.

Many of Square-Enix releases are exclusive to iOS in the west while they are also on Android in Japan. I have no idea why. For instance, there is a Chrono Trigger for Android in Japan.

UberTag

Many of Square-Enix releases are exclusive to iOS in the west while they are also on Android in Japan. I have no idea why. For instance, there is a Chrono Trigger for Android in Japan.
Final Fantasy I just hit Windows Phone this month with Xbox LIVE achievements for the princely sum of $6.99.
How exciting!

Vamphuntr

It's a bit weird we don't have a date yet... The game is supposed to be out this month after all. At least we now have a screen of the best thing in the game : The job change menu!

EDIT: It's seem the job sprites are updated from the original release. If you check the website for the original cellphone game you will see that most of the jobs used modified versions of FF5 job sprites and that most characters used the same sprites but with different colors.

Agd5v.jpg

Goli

It's a bit weird we don't have a date yet... The game is supposed to be out this month after all. At least we now have a screen of the best thing in the game : The job change menu!

Agd5v.jpg

We still don't have a release date for Guardian Cross either, which is already out in Japan... but oh well. I find it really odd how they're going with "Jobless" instead of "Freelancer" now.

Vamphuntr

We still don't have a release date for Guardian Cross either, which is already out in Japan... but oh well. I find it really odd how they're going with "Jobless" instead of "Freelancer" now.

I guess the localization is from a different team than the one doing the main FF and that they didn't check how the previous team handled it. Freelancer is much better since you can equip anything with this job.

Top Bottom