• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers hitting Japan this winter, first gameplay video

Well, I'll be buying it if it comes to the western shores. It doesn't seem all that special to me though :( hopefully as time comes closer to release date, I'll see more footage that'll change my mind.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Finally someone really wants to capitalize on the MH market on 3DS. No interest in the game really, but this could be the biggest MH clone on 3DS yet so I wonder how it'll sell.

ramyeon

Looks really appealing, and not as mashy as Ragnarok Odyssey, while more RPG-ish than Monster Hunter. Combat looks like is has the right amount of "careful timing" and positioning going on. Combat in Ragnarok and God Eater just felt way too weightless to me, I hope this game does it better. Very nice character/enemy animations so far, and it looks rather pretty for a 3DS game.
This doesn't look any more weighty than those to me in this footage. I had a feeling it was going to be a Ragnarok Odyssey style game and that's exactly what it looks like. Not really impressed.
Finally someone really wants to capitalize on the MH market on 3DS. No interest in the game really, but this could be the biggest MH clone on 3DS yet so I wonder how it'll sell.
This doesn't look like a MH clone. I think even calling it a Hunting Action game would be a stretch.

Riffled

Banned
Why? Have you played all of them? If it´s not your genre, simply ignore it. These titles have a lot of fans and there´s still a lot of potential left in this style of games.

I just think the complete abundance of meaningful exploration and puzzles is a regression of game design.

jj984jj

This doesn't look like a MH clone. I think even calling it a Hunting Action game would be a stretch.

I disagree, it's definitely aimed at that market. Wouldn't be surprised to see more MH elements later on, but as it is I have little doubt that this is their answer.

ferr

day 1.

did they explain how co-op setup would work? do you have options for teaming up with friends as well as PUGs?

ramyeon

I disagree, it's definitely aimed at that market. Wouldn't be surprised to see more MH elements later on, but as it is I have little doubt that this is their answer.
Well I'm that market and I gotta disagree ;)

Looks way more similar to Ragnarok Odyssey or PSO. It's definitely not a clone of MH.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Looks great tbh. Loving the artstyle, monsters look really cool. Wonder why they ditched the Crystal Chronicles subtitle though. I guess FF:CC:E was too long.

jj984jj

Well I'm that market and I gotta disagree ;)

Looks way more similar to Ragnarok Odyssey or PSO. It's definitely not a clone of MH.

Ragnarok Odyssey was aimed at that market too, and the PSP games (and upcoming PS Nova) are also responses to that market. Even if it's not hunting it's still for that market.

ramyeon

Ragnarok Odyssey was aimed at that market too. and the PSP games (and upcoming PS Nova) are also responses to that market. Even if it's not hunting it's still for that market.
All I'm saying is that it is not a MH clone. MH clone implies that it plays exactly the same as MH, not that it is just in the same genre.

We don't go around calling all fighting games Street Fighter clones so can we stop it with MH?

Edit: Besides which, as a huge fan of MH and other Hunting Action games (Like Toukiden, God Eater and Soul Sacrifice) RO did absolutely nothing for me. It plays completely differently and feels more like a hack and slash RPG than anything. That is the vibe I'm getting from this.

RalchAC

Games looks quite good, to be honest. Some things look a little clunky but maybe it's just the video and not the game itself.

It seems the game has some exploration, which would be quite cool. Hopefully the Circle Pad Pro works well.

This doesn't look any more weighty than those to me in this footage. I had a feeling it was going to be a Ragnarok Odyssey style game and that's exactly what it looks like. Not really impressed.

You should know that every ARPGs where there are big monsters for you to kill is a MH clone now. So we shouldn't treat this game diferently.

Squenix, like Capcom, doesn't seem particularly interested in supporting the Vita with original titles. I don't know if it's because Nintendo made a much stronger argument for the 3DS or that they've been put off by the low sales of the Vita, but it is what it is.

I'd say the Vita, right now, has a "big enough" userbase in Japan to make 3DS/Vita multiplatform games worthwhile, just like it was worthwhile to release games (in the West) on the Xbox even if the PS2 dominated the market. But Japan is not on multiplatform development.

Ridley327

This doesn't look like MH, not sure where it falls but it basically looks like some kind of Action RPG.

I think when people call something a MonHun clone, they don't literally mean it outside of the setup being similar. I know it would be more accurate to say it's more of a PSO clone, but PSO isn't the handheld franchise that sold countless millions and spearheaded an entire genre explosion amongst various developers.

Really want this, localize this Square! You had to use one of your worst in-house composers for this game, didn't you...

I hope it's fun in solo only, because I probably won't find a friend to play this game regularly.

It has online multiplayer, so no need.

ReyVGM

So this is really Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, AKA, what the Mana series should have turned into.

Rocky

Banned
This looks more like a FF game then the last few entries in the main series did. I'll definitely get it if it comes west.

Game needs to be localized sooner. My wife and I are looking forward to this game probably more than anything else on the horizon.

L~A

Definitely surprised when watching the Direct, the game looks really fun. I'm usually not too much into that kind of games, but I really liked what they showed.

Hopefully a localisation will be announced in the near future.

By the way, expecting this to hit Japan in February.

Hedge

It.. wasn't what I expected at all. It looks more like some action RPG with FF classes. Meh. If it plays well I'll get it, but it looks dubious.

Top Bottom