• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy III DS...WTF?!

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I finally got around to buying FFIII DS because I'm going to have a lot of time this summer where I'll be at work with nothing to do. OK, fine, I'm an FF vet and of all the games, FFII III and XI are the only ones I've never played through to completion. But in the first hour here I'm already stumped. I wondered into an area I'm clearly not ready for and lost two party members. No problem, I'll just go to this free INN. Wait, no, resting apparently doesn't revive people in this game. OK, Phoenix Down then. Oh, you can't buy PD's in this game. I did manage to find one, but that hardly helps my other character. Maybe a priest like the original? None to be found. I'm at a ****ing loss as to what I'm supposed to do. I went adventuring hoping I'd get another PD to drop or something, but only ended up letting another character KO. What the **** am I supposed to do to revive someone around here??

Little help?

sphinx

the piano man
if you are that early in the game, you re better off starting the game all over than using PDs. They are rare throughout the game and you should use them in boss fights and important events.

Grind until you don't die. If any of your characters die, reset and start all over.

dkeane

In each town there are buildings with a fountain in them, they will revive party members but not fully heal them (I think)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
drink the blessed water to revive the dead characters.
demonix69 said:
I forgot to save and died in the first dungeon.

Haven't touched the game since :lol
You shouldn't. It's a great game.

ant1532

Banned
demonix69 said:
I forgot to save and died in the first dungeon.

Haven't touched the game since :lol
I was pretty far in, travel pretty far, beat a dungeon and the boss, DS died. Picked it up 32 months later, had no idea what i was doing and haven't played since.

Garcia

Strange... I didn't realize you couldn't buy Phoenix Downs :S !

I hadn't died but once. I've played 5 hours of it. The stylus really makes it more enjoyable (or fresh at least).

Sirusjr

Banned
Yeah the beginning of the game especially and even some of the later parts of the game hardly tell you where you are supposed to go at all. There is gamefaqs for a reason.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Sirusjr said:
Yeah the beginning of the game especially and even some of the later parts of the game hardly tell you where you are supposed to go at all. There is gamefaqs for a reason.

I did a search through Gamefaqs and found nothing other than conserve PDs and stuff. Not being able to buy them really blows ass. I'm going to try and find that fountain or whatever.

*EDIT*

Sigh, I didn't realize there were TWO fountains, one for reviving and the other for healing...Off to that cave...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
sphinx said:
Grind until you don't die. If any of your characters die, reset and start all over.
Don't do this.
Well, grind if you have to, but don't reset if someone dies. Go to the fountain in the elder's house. Drink deep and it shall bring your little tard buckets to life. Oh yeah. Save the game frequently if you're having lots of trouble. That would also prevent the whole restarting shit.

thatbox

Banned
Thaedolus said:
Sigh, I didn't realize there were TWO fountains, one for reviving and the other for healing...Off to that cave...
That threw me off at first, too. I headed into a dungeon with a guy dead because I figured OH HEY I TOUCHED THE FOUNTAIN GOOD TO GO. Nope :(

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
Dupe them and go bwa ha ha.

Yeah... I always tell myself that I'm not going to do it, but I always end up duplicating phoenix downs at the very least, because it's so easy. :\

sphinx

the piano man
RevenantKioku said:
Don't do this.
Well, grind if you have to, but don't reset if someone dies. Go to the fountain in the elder's house. Drink deep and it shall bring your little tard buckets to life. Oh yeah. Save the game frequently if you're having lots of trouble. That would also prevent the whole restarting shit.

I do suggest he restarts a game if he does not have a life spring near him to revive allies. Often he won't have springs nearby to revive and in those cases is better to start all over than to waste PDs or keep going. Until he gets a "life" spell and a decent white mage, I think is for the better.

the game has the tendency to not let your party live much longer after your first member haas been killed, anyway.

mutsu

I sold my copy after spending about 10 hours with it.

I don't know why, but I am just not appealed to it at all... the game has great graphics, music, and all that. But it's just not exciting at all for some reason. At no point in that 10 hours do I feel engaged.

Strange, I know it should have been a great game, but I think some of the design is now too outdated and just doesn't survive in this generation...

I just hope they get on to remake of FFVI already :D

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Aeana said:
Yeah... I always tell myself that I'm not going to do it, but I always end up duplicating phoenix downs at the very least, because it's so easy. :\
Why? It's completely unnecessary...

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Once I got revived and did that first dungeon, I feel like I'm back into it. I really like the early Final Fantasies, even if they're a bit counter-intuitive. I can't imagine I'm going to stop halfway through the game, I like the challenge, and I'm not going to restart because I wasted a PD. I probably won't use the duplicate crap, either. I didn't die at all once I revived, it was just kind of a "Whoops, shouldn't have come this way!" moment.

Anyway, I killed the dude and nobody's a ghost anymore. I'm on my way.

Yeah, I had 30-40 PDs when I finished the game ... only used a handful prior to the final dungeon, and if I'd played smart I could've saved those, too. You definitely don't need them -- think of them more as a panic button or safety net in case you take an unlucky hit

(later in the game they're not so necessary because you'll get spells that can revive dead characters)

edit: congrats Thaedolus

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Sirusjr said:

Really? When? People always told you where to go.

RevenantKioku

Aeana said:
Because it takes no effort, and makes my life easier (and my playtime shorter).
They do sell for money, as well.
CHEATER

Red Scarlet

Error said:
what a cheater

Game can be a pain in the ass. Leverage to balance things more towards the player should be seen as a good thing to all. Can reduce frustration for some, has no effect on others.

SEXYBEAM BLAST
sexybeam8.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
never had to dupe anything on my first playthrough. I knew the cheat was in the game, but I didnt see a reason for it. game balance has nothing to do with cheat, never got to a dungeon/boss in the game where I had to cheat my way around it.

if you had 45 elixirs and still die then errr.... doesnt that means something else?

edit: bleh you edited your post, should've quoted you.

Red Scarlet

Error said:
game balance has nothing to do with cheat

Can reduce frustration for some

Error said:
never got to a dungeon/boss in the game where I had to cheat my way around it.

has no effect on others

Error said:
if you had 45 elixirs and still die then errr.... doesnt that means something else?

That means that even with 'cheating' something went wrong, so having that many Elixirs didn't matter in that particular part of the game and the player will want to look at something else to get past the current point.

I have no idea if I had to dupe anything or not. I utilized the option. That doesn't mean I went through 287 Phoenix Tails when I played. It's quite possible that in combination with all the stuff I stole (mainly status items), I gained absolutely nothing from duping. Or I may have used 48 Eyedrops when I only bought/stole 41. There is little evidence in how exactly, if at all duping helps or is truly cheating in my case. My 2nd time through, hell yeah, I duped a bunch of North Pole Wind and crap and owned monsters and early bosses for about an hour or two in the game. Use and abuse (which is what I surely did the second time I played the game) can be different depending on the person. Have I ever called the game omgeasy while proclaiming that I duped 50 or more of everything that can be? No.

Red Scarlet

It almost never bothers me, but this game has never been too friendly with me, in this form and on the Famicom, all throughout the game for the most part. So whenever I play, it tends to be a bit aggrivating most of the time. I have fun with the other job system games, but never really did with this one.

You can't buy Phoenix Downs, but there's an enemy fairly early on you can get them from, if I remember well.

(Note to self: must finish this game)

MrDaravon

I only used 2 phoenix downs the entire game, I wasn't aware that was a problem for people. Once you get Raise it's pretty much a non-issue I guess.

Gattsu25

Banned
I wasn't a big fan of the game's grinding and the battle system was too slow

now I'm sure there's a way to beat this game without grinding but first time battles in new areas are rough, with some characters kicking it after 2 hits. If the batles went by a bit quicker I probably would have plowed through the start of the game but with a HUGE backlog like I have, and other portable games vying for my time. . . I bought this game and FFV at the same time and ended up playing FFV.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
As for the job system: that's one of the main appeals of this game to me. One, I like the old FF games because they've got a lot of challenge compared to newer ones. Two, I loved FFV...while it lacked in storytelling compared to VI or VII, it absolutely owned in gameplay, I loved the job system. So I'm hoping I'll really enjoy FFIII.

madmook

The game just couldn't hold my interest, though I tried as much as I could to get through it. I traded the game in somewhere around the
town where everybody's an outline
. I think it was the job system that was unfulfilling for some reason, and battles felt a little sluggish (especially noticeable after playing FFI in the Dawn of Souls pack). I had no problems with difficulty. I am moving on to FFIV and V advance, and I know those have job systems too, but I've read that they're much "funner".

madmook said:
The game just couldn't hold my interest, though I tried as much as I could to get through it. I traded the game in somewhere around the
town where everybody's an outline
. I think it was the job system that was unfulfilling for some reason, and battles felt a little sluggish (especially noticeable after playing FFI in the Dawn of Souls pack). I had no problems with difficulty. I am moving on to FFIV and V advance, and I know those have job systems too, but I've read that they're much "funner".

FF IV doesn't have a job system, just V.

And, er, FWIW, if you just get to Kazus (the
"outline" town
), you don't really have access to the actual job system yet... there are more choices later on :)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
yeah, you were hardly exposed at all to the job system if you quit that early on.

Xavien

Segata Sanshiro said:
The last "dungeon" is going to punch you til you cry. I haven't decided whether it's good pain or bad pain yet.

Indeed,
I'm just entering the World of Darkness after the Tower and wow, its probably the hardest place in the game, surprised at the lack of save points here, i did a quicksave about a month ago and have been afraid to go back to it :p

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The most difficult parts of FF3, at least for me, were:

1. Giant Rat
Garuda
3. Final Dungeon/World of Darkness boss fights/end guy

Amazing game, I think FF5 is better overall but both FF3 original and DS were class acts.

Saitou

Banned
You get enough PDs to last you until you can buy Raise. It's never an issue. You get enough Elixirs so that you shouldn't have a problem with any boss.

The game is only hard if you don't know what you're doing. There's no need to grind, even. Just pick your jobs smartly.

Saitou said:
You get enough PDs to last you until you can buy Raise. It's never an issue. You get enough Elixirs so that you shouldn't have a problem with any boss.

The game is only hard if you don't know what you're doing. There's no need to grind, even. Just pick your jobs smartly.
Ehn, you can also suffer from some misfortune sometimes. Having
Cerberus use all three of his turns to attack my Devout
was pretty damn unfortunate. But I'd say that's really the worst of it. The last dungeon is the only place where I had real trouble, and only because replaying it takes so damn long.

A single save point at the junction between the Crystal Palace and the World of Darkness would have made things just about perfect, in my eyes.

Then again, both FFII and FFIV had ridiculously long final dungeons too (although FFIV had a save point), so I guess it's sorta okay?

There's nothing quite like trouncing the entire WoD and the CoD after such a long trek though. A real sense of accomplishment.

Pureauthor said:
A single save point at the junction between the Crystal Palace and the World of Darkness would have made things just about perfect, in my eyes.

Then again, both FFII and FFIV had ridiculously long final dungeons too (although FFIV had a save point), so I guess it's sorta okay?

There's nothing quite like trouncing the entire WoD and the CoD after such a long trek though. A real sense of accomplishment.
This would do nothing but improve the game. Pureauthor for Squonx Prez.

Top Bottom