• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX coming to PC & Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Technical issues like the slowness and loading times is what made it the worst Final Fantasy on PS1 for me. It was a really good game hampered by the chore the battles became.

If the port fixes those then it makes the game a lot better. Sure the queuing actions in battles will still be there, but it shouldn't take an eternity anymore

Those were just contributing factors. I dislike the fact that the entire game was engineered to be some sort of nostalgia dive with lots of hurr-hurr references to "classic" FF. Strip all of that away, and the actual story and characters in the game are really shallow and the narrative is pretty nonsensical and lacks a strong theme. I love a ton of scenes in FFIX, but as an overall product I disliked it more and more as time went by.

addik

10 mins until the year ends here, I check twitter to see how everyone is up and I see this news.

God damn. 2015 is the year of dreams!!!!

Tabris

I take it you're not a huge fan of the PSX's graphics in general, then?

Well FF9 was at the end of the generation where we were seeing PS2 games in previews. And FF9 design made it where it needed anti-aliasing a lot more then the previous games. The jaggies were a lot more pronounced in that game then FF8.

Peff

comparisonaxpmf.png

Probably the best possible outcome. They're good but not good enough to completely clash against the backgrounds.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What evidence would you use to justify the game not releasing on PC at one point?

? None. Tabata keeps saying they have no plans for a PC port though, so i don't understand why they are pretending that is the case when they have probably already drawn up the plans for a staggered launch

They are probably referring to the original HD assets, the compressed assets can just be ripped off the PS1 disc.

I see. So we're getting upressed PS1 version then?
Well, I won't complain. At least from these several pictures we can already see some improvements. It's more than PS1 version.

My number one game getting its due and people out here said IX would never likely get a port because all the assets were lost. This doesn't seem to be the case.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Notice how they haven't shown the battle menu yet. Is it going to be an FFVI/FFV situation where it's a smartphone interface?

Magnus

The legend of 2015 refuses to die even now at the turn of the new year.

Seriously. How many wish-list items got crossed off this year?

I'm so happy at this news. IX is damn near un-replayable to me because of the battle speed. Just having speed-up features alone will rejuvenate this fantastic game as far as I'm concerned.

This is GREAT fucking news. And just when we had that thread yesterday about IX being lost to oblivion, lol.

Strange that they're skipping VIII for this treatment, though?

Labadal

Those were just contributing factors. I dislike the fact that the entire game was engineered to be some sort of nostalgia dive with lots of hurr-hurr references to "classic" FF. Strip all of that away, and the actual story and characters in the game are really shallow and the narrative is pretty nonsensical and lacks a strong theme. I love a ton of scenes in FFIX, but as an overall product I disliked it more and more as time went by.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFDsL_mwBY

Yarbskoo

Menu comparison.

ck8OvEp.jpg

QwJ0gcD.jpg

I like the layout and typefaces of the original menus better, but it doesn't look terrible. I think the new portraits are just cropped promotional artwork. I wonder how they'll handle short-haired Garnet, since I don't think we ever got a high resolution render of her.

Goli

Notice how they haven't shown the battle menu yet. Is it going to be an FFVI/FFV situation where it's a smartphone interface?

Going by the status bar, probably not. Probably gonna be just like the original but with each button separated like they've shown in the camp/menu screen.

Bousf

FOREVER YESSSSSSS

Now give us a nice PS4 port like the FFVII one and give us a gold trophy for killing Ozma so that the platinum remains Ultra Rare for all of eternity.

Phaezyk

How am I supposed to skip cutscenes if I can't open the PS1 disc tray?

Hopefully No Encounters + High Speed Mode are enough to get Excalibur II.

If the high speed mode here is anything like the one in the FF7 PS4 release, it should actually be a bit easier to get Excalibur II as the in-game timer there wasn't affected by high speed.

pablito

Finally. I will wait and see if modders get those backgrounds poppin but otherwise I am there. Quite possibly my favorite numbered FF.

Myriadis

2015 will go down in history as the year of awesome announcements, man.

I have only played about 5 hours so far on the PS3, so I think I'll double dip with all these enhancements, especially faster mode sounds so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom