• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX coming to PC & Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! Will buy the PC version. It's been more than a decade since I've played through FFIX (PS1 copy on a PS2) and it'll be nice to have the game sped up. Would also be nice if Square came out with a PS4 version too.

FLAguy954

I will give Square all my money if they do this. But it's impossible.

Anyway, great news. I love FFIX. Good to see it coming to newer platform.

Never say impossible. Remember we are getting the Resident Evil Zero Remaster with high-resolution pre-rendered backgrounds. 2015 is the year of dreams man.

I may give this game another shot as I was bored out of my mind the first time I tried it a couple of years ago.
Also holy shit at the port-begging in this thread lol

Dunkley

To note on the side, anyone who doesn't know, Zidane's outfit is also coming to FFXIV as a veteran reward.

tumblr_nztaanwdf31ucf2j7o1_1280.png

I wonder what caused them to suddenly pay more attention to FFIX. Always seemed to me like it was a little bit overlooked in comparison to the other mainline entries.

Tabris

I don't think people are seeing the potential issue here.

And yes, I know mods will be released.

But I really hope they don't apply a Mobile UI to the PC (and hopefully PS4) versions.

They did that to FFVI Steam Edition.

SpotAnime

This is great news. I can't wait. Having the entire PSX trilogy on the PC is important for preservation and backwards compatibility.

Awesome, I'd kill for a PS4/Vita version with 3X speed. FFVII PS4 port is god-tier because of that.

Agreed. Vita ports of these would be amazing.

BigDes

Hey does the FFVIII Steam port still use the godawful midi music or did they patch the proper music in like with FFVII?

Azuardo

Can anyone confirm/deny a no encounters option in the config menu in the Famitsu pics? I guess no mention of it in the OP says it's not included, but hope it is.

Zenogias81

Neo Member
So this year, we've had:

Suikoden III on PSN (the first time available in PAL)

And now this

Fuck, 2015 was like a sweet gaming dream

WTF? I had no idea Suikoden III had been released on PSN. Time to plug in the old PS3 again!

On topic, it's great to see FFIX getting a PC release. Tried to replay it on PS1 a while back but the slowness was too much for me.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Holy shit!!! What incredible news to wake up to - out of fucking nowhere!

One of my favorite games of all time. Will buy on both iOS and PC Day One.

So was the whole lost source code thing just bullocks?

entremet

SNES trilogy now playable on PC--although not original sprite art versions and IV is based on the DS 3D remake.

XIII trilogy playable. (LOL)

And now PS1 trilogy playable.

The steam registry confirmed X/X-2.

Now to wait on FFXII HD--hopefully, the Zodiac Job system version.

I actually have goosebumps right now. This is the the best news I could've hoped for. My favorite FF game finally getting rereleased.

Wow.

notaskwid

To note on the side, anyone who doesn't know, Zidane's outfit is also coming to FFXIV as a veteran reward.

I wonder what caused them to suddenly pay more attention to FFIX. Always seemed to me like it was a little bit overlooked in comparison to the other mainline entries.

I guess they just remembered that 2015 was the year of the 15th anniversary.

Tizoc

Zidane sure did let himself go :V

JoshGrilli

Neo Member
Yessssss! I've been waiting so long for this! This is my absolute favorite FF next to XII. The fact that it will have the speed up feature makes this an instant sell for me. No more long battle intros!

You know, I think the FFVII HD port is visually inferior from the original, but this one actually looks pretty alright. Would have been great if they had included HD backgrounds, but at least the models don't stick out as repulsively as in FFVII HD.

FFVII is a repulsive looking game. Not much that can be done when it looks like that. Thankfully we are getting a remake of that game.

This will be purchased on day 1 on the other hand.

Pacotez

Are they not including a "No Encounters" option like they did in FF7 PS4? The high speed should be enough for me, but the one big issue I had with FF9 was no option to block encounters or reduce them.

keep pressing and releasing the direction button. like, walk by steeping foward and stopping, stepping foward and stopping, etc. Do it quickly and you will not get encounters and it isn't slow at all

Tabris

FF9 was a very ugly game on PS1. The IQ was a downgrade from FF8 but thanks to the HD upressing and anti-aliasing - it looks like the best version now.

3X Speed will also fix the awful gameplay.

So the only remaining issue is the superficial story and characters.

You will not see these games upgrade to 60fps because of the way they are programmed, especially if it deals a lot with frame-based animations (like texture animations) and such.

But if the rumors are true that they did lose the source code and we assume they are starting over with reversing and rebuilding from scratch. Then coding for 60fps at least for the PC and eventual PS4 release wouldn't be too out there.

It's for smartphones too so I think they'll cap it at 15 or 30fps for the sake of battery life on phones. However it seems from every new PC port that Square learns something new so...

So, this year we got from SE:

- World of Final Fantasy
- FF VII Remake
- Nier 2 (made by Platinum)
- FF IX on PC
- Published Life is Strange

Guys, SE is back, with a revengance.

Shahed

Speed up will be a godsend. I'm im the middle of an FFIX playthrough at the moment on Disc 2. Guess that ends now then.

Can anyone confirm/deny a no encounters option in the config menu in the Famitsu pics? I guess no mention of it in the OP says it's not included, but hope it is.

スマホ版『FFVII』などにも搭載された“ブースト機能”を用いれば、“エンカウントなし”や”ギルMAX”といったことも可能に。純粋にストーリーだけを楽しみたい人には嬉しい機能だ。

The Famitsu article mentions it has it but the screenshots don't show it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom