• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX coming to PC & Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Umihara Kawase series just got dropped. Final Fantasy is probably right behind them.

the difference of course being one is a series no one has ever heard of and one is Final Fantasy

i thought your first post was a joke but you're serious lol

This news makes me so happy - ten days ago I made a topic here on GAF, asking whether FF9 would be lost in oblivion, but Squeenix just pleasantly surprised me. I am looking forward to this release and was planning to connect my PS3 tonight and play the game for a bit after midnight. Guess I won't do it now, I will hold out until this release.

Last time I 100%ed the game, it was summer of 2011. It took roughly 100 hours, and it playing through it was one of my most memorably experiences. I may even do an Excalibur 2 run now.

Hopefully news for an FF12 re-release comes soon.

Those saying these don't sell and will be dropped are clearly misinformed:

qtVGttB.png

Berordn

FFVII alone sold about a million copies on steam. What's your definition of good numbers?

VII is going to be the obvious exception here, I was more talking along the lines of III, IV, V, etc.

Plus they probably see value in having the series already ported and available as a base for future consoles, etc.

Cirdan

Neo Member
Huh. Out of nowhere.
Hope they put in some effort on it, but just higher speeds makes it already a better choice than what we have currently.

Elios83

holy shit, that detail

eda1bae8b47cba47e55880ec45aaa2b1.jpg

FFIX similarly to FFXII is a game with an amazing texture work, they did a crazy job to try to simulate details through textures and offset the lack of polygons, unfortunately that work couldn't be properly appreaciated because of low res and lack of texture filtering.

Btw this news is pretty ironic to me.
I was a PC gamer in the late 90s and I played both the PC versions of FFVII and FFVIII.
The fact that Squaresoft refused to follow suit with FFIX at that time (2000-2001) was also a reason why I decided to buy a PS2.
Now I have FFVII on the PS4 and I'll wait to see if they announce VIII and IX there as well before buying it on the PC.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Do they really expect us to believe FF15 is not coming to PC? Every numbered FF will be on PC quite soon at this rate

The remaster of FF12 for PS4 and PC is almost 100% confirmed at this point

Square Enix - bring it to PS4 - do it. Day 1.

Oh they will. I think FF7 will teh start of porting all the PC releases to PS4.

Can't wait though maybe they're actually create a PC version that works well for PC. Also imagine the 4k HD texture mod the community will do by using the lost high resolution assets and recreating their own. Gorgeous

Man I didn't think it would happen since FF9 never had a PC port, makes me wonder if they had started working on one at some point and just abandoned it.

This is great news, this is likely the only game in the series to really have a completely satisfying ending, as much as I love 6 there are some things in the ending I do wish were handled better.

Pacotez

gonna triple dip on pc and might buy once for android.

Already my favourite FF alongside tactics and with 3x speed hopefully many others will enjoy it as I did even without that feature.

Goli

I hope people who are obsessed with 60 FPS gaming don't bring the game down on Steam because it seems the battles are still... whatever super low FPS they were originally. I don't really mind but I'm sure some people will make a big deal out of it.

EDIT: FORGOT TO ADD THE DON'T

mieumieu

All I'm saying is that people better start impulse buying Final Fantasy games now... because you'll never know.

Why delist a game unless the company goes bankcrupt? Do you mean Square Enix will go bankcrupt?

Or do you mean Square Enix will go Konami like PT? Because #fuckonami

Thabass

I think Square likes to fuck with me. Every time I play a game of theirs, they announce a remastered version of it.

This is the best news as the original game is super pixelated today's standards. But, god damn, I still love the original and I'm glad they are keeping some of the things that made VII PS4 awesome as well.

This is my favorite Final Fantasy, so this is definitely welcoming news.

Azuardo

Are they not including a "No Encounters" option like they did in FF7 PS4? The high speed should be enough for me, but the one big issue I had with FF9 was no option to block encounters or reduce them.

Garlador

Fantastic!

Wish they could use the high-res backgrounds (*shakes fist at the heavens*), but the rest sounds aces.

Best Final Fantasy. Bring it on.

VII is going to be the obvious exception here, I was more talking along the lines of III, IV, V, etc.

Plus they probably see value in having the series already ported and available as a base for future consoles, etc.

FFV is doing relatively poorly at around 25k, but III and IV have sold well over 100k copies on steam. Hardly a failure by any metric.
Nice numbers imo

In everyone's opinion.

Cool. I don't have PS3 anymore and for some fucking weird reason PS4 doesn't have PS1 emulation. High speed mode also sounds great.

mieumieu

I hope people who are obsessed with 60 FPS gaming don't bring the game down on Steam because it seems the battles are still... whatever super low FPS they were originally. I don't really mind but I'm sure some people will make a big deal out of it.

EDIT: FORGOT TO ADD THE DON'T

You will not see these games upgrade to 60fps because of the way they are programmed, especially if it deals a lot with frame-based animations (like texture animations) and such.

Evantist

Wow, great news! Reading OP has me grinning ear to ear. Time to relive the arduous but ultimately sweet journey of the 2 main characters, Steiner and Beatrix!

FFV is doing relatively poorly at around 25k, but III and IV have sold well over 100k copies on steam. Hardly a failure by any metric.

In everyone's opinion.

FFV doing poorly doesn't surprise me in the least.

I'm actually surprised at ~100k for FF3/4, considering they are PC ports of mobile ports that are ports of DS games. Portception.

Those saying these don't sell and will be dropped are clearly misinformed:

qtVGttB.png

A million sales give or take for a game closing in on it's 20th anniversary in just a year and change thatsdamngood.gif

and FF VIII had my wallet as soon as it released on Steam, fuck the haters, FF VIII is legit (well..the story is fucking stupid but so was 7's, and 7 didn't have Triple Triad, the Junction System or the ability to change basic gameplay elements so drastically [like Diablos' no enounter ability]).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom