• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX coming to PC & Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am guessing the "boosters" means micro/ macro -transaction(s), am I right?

For FF7 and FF8, Boosters were basically cheats you could enable, don't think they even disable achievments. I believe the idea with that was to make it easier to jump into for folks who'd gone down the grind one too many times previously..and new folks, who maybe aren't ready for a game with the gameplay sensibilites of the era.

If there is one final fantasy that really needs some sort of speed up function, it's Final Fantasy 9. That alone is amazing news, not to mention the fact that it's coming to PC.

I'm actually disappointed that we won't get this on console... =/

That being said, I really wonder how good the iOS will look compared to the PC. Bullshot excluded.
Oh I'm sure it'll happen. They'll stretch it out so I keep buying the same games on multiple formats. Like they got me with FFVII

I'm in for high speed mode. Love FF9

Ultimadrago

*screenshots*

You know, I think the FFVII HD port is visually inferior from the original, but this one actually looks pretty alright. Would have been great if they had included HD backgrounds, but at least the models don't stick out as repulsively as in FFVII HD.

Yeah, put a sale and a texture mod on my checklist before picking up the PC version.

FFIX is so amazing. Brought back so many core Final Fantasy features and mechanics that had been missing for a while, just before they were abandoned again with X...

Classic medieval fantasy classes, with actually differentiated characters that weren't just interchangeable. Full sets of equipment, not just weapon + accessory. Awesome AP system mostly taken from FFTactics which is a great way to handle learning abilities - really increased the significance of equipment and therefore the significance of stealing, which made sense when the main character was a thief. More than three characters in combat again, which...IIRC has been missing from every Final Fantasy since then?

A more light-hearted game in a world full of strange chibi races, hippo people, rat people...weird stuff, refreshing after two games of dark modern worlds.

Amazing music. Last full Nobuo production, right? And it was his masterpiece. So many great leitmotifs.

Anteater

did the ff7 and ff8 ports have those polygons jiggling (i don't know what it's called that was on the psx, I never played them on pc)?

FF9 models aged pretty well when I played it on emulator, since they're all fat and chibi like but have more details than ff7 models.

It's probably inconsequential for them to port to PC alongside mobile, given how many Mobile to PC ports they've done already.

They probably doesn't sell a whole lot, but I doubt it's truly terrible numbers.

FFVII alone sold about a million copies on steam. What's your definition of good numbers?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm genuinely surprised they actually improved the graphics on the port. Their others have been rereleased cash grabs but this one might be worth it.

I doubt this'll be the case after all their other... attempts, but I'd really like it if this one didn't turn out be the umpteenth garbage Final Fantasy port.

silva1991

4bMTPsV.jpg

V6WWIHM.jpg

hVWmoRw.jpg

You know, I think the FFVII HD port is visually inferior from the original, but this one actually looks pretty alright. Would have been great if they had included HD backgrounds, but at least the models don't stick out as repulsively as in FFVII HD.

Day 0 on PC.

For FF7 and FF8, Boosters were basically cheats you could enable, don't think they even disable achievments. I believe the idea with that was to make it easier to jump into for folks who'd gone down the grind one too many times previously..and new folks, who maybe aren't ready for a game with the gameplay sensibilites of the era.

Pretty much, and it's fucking great. I've played basically every FF game enough times that I have little interest in genuinely engaging with the gameplay aspect any more, and mostly want to run through the story again, see the classic moments/areas/bosses, and listen to the music.

Outside of these options, I'll sometimes just listen to a game's OST over actually replaying it.

SparkTR

It's probably inconsequential for them to port to PC alongside mobile, given how many Mobile to PC ports they've done already.

They probably doesn't sell a whole lot, but I doubt it's truly terrible numbers.

FF8 did around 500k so far, and that game is the least popular of the PS1 FF games. It's impressive numbers for a game like that and I don't doubt it's the reason FFX is also potentially coming.

HarryKS

Hope it doesn't take too long to end up on PS4 this time. Quite odd that FF8 has been skipped.

Ep. Ff8 is already uprezed?

clem84

Gold Member
Those FMV in 1080... I never thought I'd see it!

Looks nice. Hopefully the pre-battle load times will be acceptable. It's pretty much the only thing that prevented me from going back to FF9 during all these years.

Joqu

Real talk. Did this really, REALLY bug anyone with the X/X-2 HD remaster?

Well yeah, me. :p

I didn't mind it during most scenes but some of them looked really awkward with the new framing. Those parts do REALLY bug me. If I have the option I always go with black bars over cropped.

Plus y'know, there's that thought in the back of my head of them having the full fmvs in higher quality with no means for us to access them. I'm sure you can mod it in the (surely upcoming) PC version but it won't be as high quality as the cropped ones and that does bother me. But that's the less rational bit I suppose.

Screenshots do like fine though so yeah, hope the FMVs are 4:3 too.

The high-speed option is a godsend. I love IX but the slow battles make it a drag.

Yeah I really like the implementation of 3x speed in VII. I thought it would be similar to an emulator but it keeps the music the same speed, intelligently disables for cutscenes, and has a single button toggle.

My only complaint is you can't hold the accept button down in battles to auto-attack while it's enabled for some reason, but otherwise it's a fantastic feature I didn't know I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom