• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX now out on Android and iOS

KtSlime

I wish we've got this version on Vita, with the touch menus optional, it would be awesome!.

But I don't trust square to maintain this in two iOS updates :S to get it on mobile.
Do you have any evidence of SE not maintaining one of their mainline FF games on iOS? Looking at their update history pretty much everything has gotten updates, and recently too. Every one of my FF games runs on my iPhone, have been updated to 64bit, most have had cloud saves added and had some sort of widescreen retina enhancements added, not to mention controller support. I'm really pleased with their commitment to iOS and mobile.

Edag88

Banned
What exactly happens?

I hit the high speed mode button and it goes MAYBE 1.5x as fast as the normal speed. Definitely nowhere near as fast as FF7's 3x speed and now that I've played the opening of FF9 on iOS, not even close to that.

I don't know how you'd debug that though.

Do you have any evidence of SE not maintaining one of their mainline FF games on iOS? Looking at their update history pretty much everything has gotten updates, and recently too. Every one of my FF games runs on my iPhone, have been updated to 64bit, most have had cloud saves added and had some sort of widescreen retina enhancements added, not to mention controller support. I'm really pleased with their commitment to iOS and mobile.

No, not really with SE, but in general some games disappear or stop working, I don't remember exactly which ones. So I don't like to have my games in iOS, but it's a personal opinion.

The only one I remember is the chaos ring, that is crashing really often in ios9, but accordint to the itunes page they're working in a patch.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/26/8855159/the-world-ends-with-you-ios-8-square-enix

Yokai

wow they didn't upgrade the backgrounds again? might as well just emulate it

I don't know if you've emulated ff9 but, at high res, the backgrounds have a lot of transparency artifacts normally. That's been my experience at least. Also, character models have been repainted and, for once, some of the redone aspects seem to have slightly more polish to them.

At least it is better than that awful ff5 port, shows some progress. Having said that, I'll wait on the sidelines after the pc version comes out until we have a glimpse at how it performs and how the ui changes between mobile and pc releases.

Rootbeer

Banned
Man those boosters are CHEAP as hell. I'm okay with something more mild but literally just a button that makes you level 99? eek. Just knowing that it is there alone bothers me. I wish they hadn't gone so overboard.

I still want this game though!

Widge

I’m really keen on finally doing a solid playthrough of this.

I was underlevelled when I finished the game the last time. Several abilities were still locked off for my characters. I finished the game by pure luck – my entire squad bar Zidane wiped out, who was auto-regen/haste but bezerked by the final boss. I had no option to sit and watch blows being traded. He bloody did it too.

This time I want to get those skills all sorted, have all the treasure found… the works.

artsi

Man those boosters are CHEAP as hell. I'm okay with something more mild but literally just a button that makes you level 99? eek. Just knowing that it is there alone bothers me. I wish they hadn't gone so overboard.

I still want this game though!

I don't mind them existing, but would be nice if the eventual PS4 version would block trophies for a save where you have used boosters.

Carlisle

I will say that the fact that the Steam version isn't out concurrently with the mobile version gives me some hope that there will be differences, i.e. the PC version won't have the huge mobile HUD.

I hope you're right. I was thinking the opposite, that having the mobile versions come out first makes it more likely that the PC version will have the mobile UI. If they do share the same HUD, SE would have caught a lot of flack releasing a game on Steam with no mobile version (at the time), yet riddled with mobile interface assets. Releasing on mobile first makes that more acceptable as it appears more like the PC game is a port of the mobile version.

But then again, SE did seem to put a more substantial bit of effort into this one compared to other ports they've done. It would be weird for them to stop short of appropriate interfaces for each version.

But then again again, SE.

StereoVsn

Considering I can't play Chaos Rings, which I paid good money for, on iOS 9...I'm not touching this.
Yeah, and The World Ends with You was broken for over a year. Between Square Enix and Capcom I am not buying any more full priced mobile games. Otherwise the price isn't too bad.

Syntsui

So... the high speed mode actually put the entire game on high speed? Not only the battle? Who was the imbecile that thought this was a good idea? Also, it's only 1,5x?

How hard would be to make it like FF IV or even Bravely Default, this is ridiculous.

Wow, I'm out.

Phatcorns

So... the high speed mode actually put the entire game on high speed? Not only the battle? Who was the imbecile that thought this was a good idea? Also, it's only 1,5x?

How hard would be to make it like FF IV or even Bravely Default, this is ridiculous.

Wow, I'm out.

It's definitely way faster than 1.5x, I don't know how much, but it's very fast.

I'm not gonna update my iPhone 6 ever. Just gonna let it stick to 8.3.

Wait it NEEDS iOS 9? :/

EDIT:

Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Phew you gave me a small shock there :p

And I'm asking my original question again, did anyone install it with iTunes on iOS? If so how much space does that way of installation need?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
And I'm asking my original question again, did anyone install it with iTunes on iOS? If so how much space does that way of installation need?
I did it in the past and it usually did not need to double amount of space....but! that was years ago and my memory can be wrong.

Son Of D

Oh I thought he was from an international version or something lol

You're probably thinking of FFX. The original Japanese and NA versions didn't have Penance and the Dark Aeons. International and PAL versions (probably because PAL got FFX so damn late) got the extra bosses. The HD remaster had those bosses.

This is one of the few Final Fantasy games I have never played. I'm really interested in this, but I only have an iPhone 5. Is that an ok place to play it?

I did it in the past and it usually did not need to double amount of space....but! that was years ago and my memory can be wrong.

Well that does give me hope, I'll either buy it later today or tomorrow and will see. It's funny I settled for a 5S so I could have it in 32gb for cheaper than a 6 in 16gb but yet I still manage to run out of space :/

atbigelow

Incredibly disappointed they didn't adjust the game speed at all. Shit looks to be running at AT LEAST 30 FPS, but they couldn't be damned to update the animation timings or anything.

Battles still take way too long to load.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has anybody tried this on an iPhone 5? Wondering if it's noticeably sluggish.

Also, what's the official size? App Store says 2gb, Square says 4.

Pachimari

It's definitely way faster than 1.5x, I don't know how much, but it's very fast.
It's incredibly fast so I turned it off.

This game is really a battery slug. Draining the battery like there's no tomorrow.

I'm loving it. 3 hours in and I arrived at the small village with my crew. But Dagger? Really. Dagger was the best she could come up with.

Has anybody tried this on an iPhone 5? Wondering if it's noticeably sluggish.

Also, what's the official size? App Store says 2gb, Square says 4.
It's 3.9gb.

aravuus

Decided to give it a quick try, but ultimately came to the conclusion that I'll just wait for the PC version. It's the little things, like fast-forward being TOO fast (just give me 1.5x, 2x etc speeds please), cheats being too powerful (it's fun to replay games with cheats that possibly make your life easier, but don't outright make you invincible) and of course the lack of a static d-pad/stick setting. The price doesn't help, either.

Hope the PC version won't have the mobile UI, but I'm not optimistic.

Pachimari

I'm not gonna read any spoilers. It's my first playthrough but nice knowing I can change their names later on. I'll change it back to Garnett whenever I can.

So far I like it more than FFVII which I am seven hours into I think.

Dice//

Banned
That's the worst name in FF history, I always just rename her Garnet, lol.

If she was looking at a dagger I'd have rather even called her "Sharpie" or "Pointy" or "Bladera".
Dagger is awful.
....Yeah I just default back to Garnet.

Anyone try this on a GPD XD yet? I'm tempted to bite but curious how it runs on the thing. It can emulate the PS version easy enough but still.

nikos

A couple of things about the iOS version definitely bother me. The clock/battery UI makes it look/feel cheap. Also, the extra space on each side of the screen is unresponsive, forcing you to tap over the video. I feel like the extra space should be functional.

Other than that, it seems like a good port so far.

LivingHitokiri

Neo Member
I'm not gonna read any spoilers. It's my first playthrough but nice knowing I can change their names later on. I'll change it back to Garnett whenever I can.

So far I like it more than FFVII which I am seven hours into I think.

FF IX is really a fantastic game, the adventure and the whole experience is filled with details and interesting character. It was one of the few games that make me feel that we world was alive and i cared about characters.
Make sure to not skip any ATE, they give nice perspective of whats happening somewhere else to people that you know at that time.
Moogles are also your best friends!

Pachimari

If she was looking at a dagger I'd have rather even called her "Sharpie" or "Pointy" or "Bladera".
Dagger is awful.
....Yeah I just default back to Garnet.
I should have called her Talim now that I think of it. :(

It means sharp in Tagalog. I'll use the name in FFI and II.

Pachimari

FF IX is really a fantastic game, the adventure and the whole experience is filled with details and interesting character. It was one of the few games that make me feel that we world was alive and i cared about characters.
Make sure to not skip any ATE, they give nice perspective of whats happening somewhere else to people that you know at that time.
Moogles are also your best friends!
Yeah I love the moogles for saving and for their tips. I also just tried my first card game and I completely blew it. I don't think I know what I'm doing.

I want skip any ATB, that's where my gaming OCD kicks in.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
That's the worst name in FF history, I always just rename her Garnet, lol.

I was playing the German version and her name there was Lili, because of Zidane's Liliendolch (Lilium Dagger). So that's why she's Dagger in the ENG version.

Unai

Yeah I love the moogles for saving and for their tips. I also just tried my first card game and I completely blew it. I don't think I know what I'm doing.

I want skip any ATB, that's where my gaming OCD kicks in.

They don't really explain very well the rules about what the numbers and letters on the cards. At least not at first.

Pachimari

They don't really explain very well the rules about what the numbers and letters on the cards. At least not at first.
Yeah. So far they have only explained what the arrows do. So I'm lost. But I take it I will learn more about it later and I should avoid playing and losing my cards.

Top Bottom