• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX Steam store page is up. Releasing before FF15

ubique

9YhmLBL.png

sweating2ck0v.gif

They also list a game to be released on Q2 2016 and several other "Coming Soon" ones on that same page, so don't keep your hopes up.

Mivey

Someone at SE is just doing this to troll the fans, knowing full well that the actual release is still months away.

Falk

that puzzling face
But I know, as Falk said, the amount of work to track down the original files (which I'm sure are not compiled neatly on a hard drive somewhere)

Yo, just so I'm not misquoted, I didn't say anything about tracking down the original files. I said even if the original resolution assets existed, it'd be a shit ton of work to retrace all the steps done after the downsize to get it to look the same as the PSX release. Everything from color correction, grime, animation, some pixel touch-ups, etc.

People seem to think the assets were simply resized and then slapped onto the disc as-is.

mieumieu

Regardless of inspiration, I'd take anything that helps the backgrounds.

The blurriness would be fine with the older models, but now it just feels too jarring.

the problem is that this particular algorithm would not help, but rather break the backgrounds. it is more adept in finding splines and curves but using it on something like ffix will find splines where there is not supposed to be any, thus breaking the image.

there are a lot other algorithms that would be more suited for ffix. Or manually repaint some problematic places after processing.

Falk

that puzzling face
Like I said earlier in the thread, honestly it doesn't bug me too much since there's a proud tradition going all the way back to RE2 PC (and indeed, original FFVII/FFVIII PC releases) where polygonal shit was sharper than everything else.

But if it looks decent, I'm not gonna say no to playing with processed backgrounds.

edit: Worth quoting for this page:

Had a bit of fun taking some FFIX backgrounds and upscaling them with Waifu2x.

dxemyjM.jpg

mx73D0P.jpg

TmwklG7.jpg

RapD2Ir.jpg

Ludens

Banned
According to Steam the game is scheduled to release today, let's see is SE is just joking. I hope for a human price under 20€.

Pachimari

According to Steam the game is scheduled to release today, let's see is SE is just joking. I hope for a human price under 20€.

Seriously, where do you see that?

If it's because it's at the top of the Upcoming list, or between two Feb 1 releases, then that's no indication of it releasing today.

Ludens

Banned
Seriously, where do you see that?

If it's because it's at the top of the Upcoming list, or between two Feb 1 releases, then that's no indication of it releasing today.

On the new releases tab, it's scheduled second. There's no date, but other games have no date too, while some has 1st February as date.

Unai

It's possible that all games that have no date come first on the list even if they are not release of the first day of the month.

Pachimari

On the new releases tab, it's scheduled second. There's no date, but other games have no date too, while some has 1st February as date.

Come on now, it's no indication of its release. We shouldn't hype up people for an imminent release when nothing indicates that.

What is the purpose of not putting a release date on this? Is the expectation that more will watch their streams with other announcements hoping that they'll drop a release date?

Ludens

Banned
Come on now, it's no indication of its release. We shouldn't hype up people for an imminent release when nothing indicates that.
Well, if it's listed here, it means SE put an hidden date on it. They screwed once, I doubt they'll screw twice...well, they could just trolling actually.

Well, if it's listed here, it means SE put an hidden date on it. They screwed once, I doubt they'll screw twice...well, they could just trolling actually.

I see posts like this every so often. I think it's really silly to think companies might troll.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They also list a game to be released on Q2 2016 and several other "Coming Soon" ones on that same page, so don't keep your hopes up.

That's because the Top Sellers list is ordered by relevance by default. If you click through to the full list and order it by release date, however, you'll see FFIX is sandwiched between a couple of February 1st/2nd releases (depending on your time zone), which, yes, means the game is scheduled for release today/tomorrow (again, depending on your time zone) unless Squeenix has asked Valve for an eleventh-hour delay.

Like I said earlier in the thread, honestly it doesn't bug me too much since there's a proud tradition going all the way back to RE2 PC (and indeed, original FFVII/FFVIII PC releases) where polygonal shit was sharper than everything else.

But if it looks decent, I'm not gonna say no to playing with processed backgrounds.

edit: Worth quoting for this page:

Holy crap!
Waifu2x is the filter of legends, man. Those upfiltered backgrounds look totally awesome.

Didn't we already go through this before?
I kind of doubt they'll release it without announcing a date a week or two in advance

KtSlime

I doubt it will be released. The release for iOS this week is Adventures of Mana, they aren't going to surprise drop this right before.

Pachimari

At least there's a high chance it'll be out before April. Then I can play it for the first time when I'm on the plane on my way to Asia, on my phone.

Top Bottom