• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
Paid? Nah, it was like "Might as well use 1 Mythril to beat a hard boss instead of getting 1/5 of a shit pull"

Basically it allowed you to build your loadout solely for the boss, burn ability uses during trash, then go into the boss with full HP/abilities/some SB gauges. (This was before a time with WHM/BLM/SUM RM2s for EZ trash)

Also Mythril refreshing halfway through a boss rush (or more) was pretty common around the Tidus event through maybe a month or more. Still is, but not as prevalent.

Meier

Did an 11 pull and got garbage for the most part but did manage one 5* item (some bracers with a small group heal available as a SB) which is nice but dammit I would have liked a weapon. Sold at least half the items I got.. so obnoxious.

I wonder if it's possible to pull an SSB from the lucky draw banner?

But yasssssssss at another Lucky Banner. I'm ready for it.

I have unfair advantage that made the entire thing super easy but I'll give my team and abilities I used to down the boss rush.

Cloud Aero Strike and Mental Break
Squall Blizzara Strike and Aero Strike
Seifer Magic Break and Armor Break
Rinoa Biora and Blizzaga
Selphie Curaga and Shellga

RW Sentinal Grimoire.

You need those abilities honed a decent amount. Ifrit goes down very easily with Blizzaga and Blizzara strike, Brothers just hit them with their weaknesses which is bio and wind but make sure to avoid using all of your wind abilities up because you need them for Diablos. Cerberus you can bring dispel if you really need it but otherwise hit him with breaks and put on shellga and he shouldn't take too long to down.

thanks for that! just scraped through to a champion rank!
what's the next event?

WarAdept

Well I thought Steiner's MC crystal would be a nightmare to get but as it turns out, Ultima Weapon is a pushover, even on Elite. Worst part is the trash. Surviving 7k Ruinga spam? What.

ZangBa

Maelstrom is bullshit... had to just go full frontal assault and forget healing to make it out with everyone alive for mastery.

Road

On the latest dungeon update:

- many bosses vulnerable to sleep and some element = easy mage meta win;
- kill-the-devs-responsible-for-those-idiotic-RNG bosses. On the Amarant fight, had to wait 10 turns before he went to the back row... JFC;
- FF13 Cid Raines is no joke, with a lot of HP (250k+) and +++ boss status (400+), double layer of mitigation advisable (draw fire is useful, but you may get a fight where he only spams AOE magic);
- I'm still missing FF13 Bahamut, but he has even more HP (270K+) with that 60s counter and def/res break resistance. Too bad I can't make Full Break r2 yet. But the worst part is the one million trash mob fights...

On mythril revives, hindsight 20/20, I would have totally done it now on the first Rinoa event but back then mythril seemed something so rare. Will forever haunt me that I didn't complete it. At least I can say I never used a mythril refresh/revive (as if meant something...).

Falk

that puzzling face
Aerora Sword doesn't count as Wind Damage for the boss rush?

That's odd. Aero Strike definitely has in the past for wind damage - I mean it literally was the only wind damage outside Wind Slash for quite a while. Might be a bug with Aerora Strike, or a bug with the boss rush.
or PEBKAC. Sorry, had to be said hahaha

On mythril revives, hindsight 20/20, I would have totally done it now on the first Rinoa event but back then mythril seemed something so rare. Will forever haunt me that I didn't complete it. At least I can say I never used a mythril refresh/revive (as if meant something...).

Not sure I'd have bothered without some VIII 5*s (I had zero).

I mean unless I hit the wrong minotaur? I only hit the bigger guy with it and it said vulnerable but I didn't get the medals.

I still got Champion so no big deal.

MicH

I mean unless I hit the wrong minotaur? I only hit the bigger guy with it and it said vulnerable but I didn't get the medals.

I still got Champion so no big deal.
They're both vulnerable to Wind and Poison so you probably hit the wrong one with Aerora Strike thus not triggering the target condition

Just when I thought I could cheese the Pulsework Knights with draw fire+retaliate they go ahead and spam Headspin (AoE physical).

Having a look on the official site someone had the bright idea of bringing multiple retaliators to take advantage of Headspin but I'm not honing a second retaliate and/or making a third for this not particularly hard battle.

You can also blind them so bringing Shadow Flare might be a good idea (if you have access) as apparently they do hit really hard.

LucaMac

Just when I thought I could cheese the Pulsework Knights with draw fire+retaliate they go ahead and spam Headspin (AoE physical).

Having a look on the official site someone had the bright idea of bringing multiple retaliators to take advantage of Headspin but I'm not honing a second retaliate and/or making a third for this not particularly hard battle.

You can also blind them so bringing Shadow Flare might be a good idea (if you have access) as apparently they do hit really hard.

They do hit very hard. I failed to master the classic first time around. Caught me completely off guard. Had to go back in with Sentinel Grimoire for safety. Had Leons memory crystal for Elite so his armour made them easier. In fact its made all these elites fairly handy...bar Iifa Tree. That's still causing me trouble. Nasty piece of work.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hey Pulsework Knights

Get shit on

RFbnutAl.jpg

They died in the first turn before Snow could even get his Mako Might + FFV armor AOE blind off hahahahah

edit: Whose bright idea was it to have like 3 minutes of monologue for the Cid fight

Road

Yep, that fight is summon paradise, easy 9999 with Phoenix, Ixion, Syldra and Quetzcoatl, and Ifrit and Ramuh as well if you have high MAG. Shadow Flare is a good RW advice, but if your entire team is on the back row it'll do half the damage so Blade Beam might be better.

If you need to resort to retaliate, take the tankiest people and out them in the back row or something.
Not sure I'd have bothered without some VIII 5*s (I had zero).
I had none either but the bosses were certainly beatable individually with my shitty equipment, the problem was being out of abilities after one fight with no ether refresh. It's as if we had to beat three +++ in a row today.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not really though. Seifer was a massive tank even back then and retaliate hit him for like 900 with a Buster Sword. (I know, I tried)

And our hones and ability choices back then were complete shit, and you had to plan for the Iguions (Earth + Holy), Seifer (Bio, or magic) and then Edea. We didn't have stuff like Boon/Lunatic High. Heck we didn't even have Shellga.

Even with VIII stuff, you basically needed to buff yourself with Mythril till you got enough stats to zerg Edea down before she killed anyone. Hats off to anyone who actually mastered it because of the ridiculous Action/Damage medal reqs for even 2 stars back then. There was min-max as to how many medals you could lose per stage.

Yep, that fight is summon paradise, easy 9999 with Phoenix, Ixion, Syldra and Quetzcoatl, and Ifrit and Ramuh as well if you have high MAG. Shadow Flare is a good RW advice, but if your entire team is on the back row it'll do half the damage so Blade Beam might be better.

You know, you just need 3 people to hit them with 9999. You could have 3 summoners show up with Phoenix, Ixion, Quetz (r1, doesn't matter) like you said, and anything AOE on the fourth while their other ability slot goes to trash clearing. The Knights have 35k HP - might as well even go with Boon or LH and blow it on the wave before so you get the AOE off before they hit you.

Nohar

I began playing when Aerith's event (first time) was up, and I have roughly the same hones as Falk (well, no Maduin at all though). Depending on how much time you spent farming the Orb Festival, it isn't that hard to get those hones for a player who began early.

I am not looking forward attempting Bahamut... It should be doable. Hard, that's for sure, but doable. I'll probably Advancetaliate him. I need that strategy less and less (though it depends on my synergy equipment), but considering the fight has a timer, I'm not taking any chances.

I began playing when Aerith's event (first time) was up, and I have roughly the same hones as Falk (well, no Maduin at all though). Depending on how much time you spent farming the Orb Festival, it isn't that hard to get those hones for a player who began early.

I am not looking forward attempting Bahamut... It should be doable. Hard, that's for sure, but doable. I'll probably Advancetaliate him. I need that strategy less and less, but considering the fight has a timer, I'm not taking any chances.

I spent a lot of time in orb fest as well as a day 1 player, however I can't do those crazy kinds of hones orb fest helped me to catch up to where you guys were roughly before orb fest. I've spent the past 2ish weeks clearing out old elites and catching up on classics went from like 94 stamina to 112 stamina. Having 2x of the aga r4 and 2 4 native 5 star rods lets me nuke most everything.

Gravijah

For those that play JP, does the interface update help at all with how badly optimized the Android client is? I highly doubt it, but I can dream...

Falk

that puzzling face
Falk's view of how difficult RK content is comparative to what a whale would view as difficult content

No kidding, the game post-orbfest is rather snoozeworthy. I've even stopped bothering with BM RM2 because I have so many casts of Ruinga.

For those that play JP, does the interface update help at all with how badly optimized the Android client is? I highly doubt it, but I can dream...

JP was/is a massive improvement on iOS. I don't see why it wouldn't be for Android as well.

I began playing when Aerith's event (first time) was up, and I have roughly the same hones as Falk (well, no Maduin at all though).

Man, if I'd gone ahead with my 2x Valefor plan, I'd have r5 + r3 Valefor right now, and a few 4* Summon orbs away from r5 + r4. No regrets changing plans and juggling my refreshes to swap to Valefor + Maduin though. The 4* wind orbs are super handy for everything else.

yeah, Pulsework Knights were pretty easy with this

Summoner RM2, BM RM2, Attunement II, Mako Might, Rod Master.

Can't do it as fast as Falk can, but it's still pretty quick. Just set everything up the trash round before and then go to town.

MrDaravon

Man, so yesterday I just min/maxed stamina for pretty much 24 hours to run the upgrade materials dungeon. First time I'd done it, and it made a huuuuuuuuuuge difference for my gear, maxed out a ton of 3/4* stuff and did one or two combinations. What it really highlighted though as I was going through looking for upgrade stuff is that I have like NO godddamn armor. I have more FFVI natural 3/4* armors than I do from every FF combined. There's like 5 FF's I have zero armor pieces on, and some I only have one piece. I think it's really hurting me in dungeons because right now my problem is more me dying in one or two hits than the damage I'm doing (generally speaking). There's really no good way to work around it though, item drops are what they are :/

On a related note if I'm trying to push through Classic/Elite dungeons for progress/Stamina shards/etc should I only really bother doing it with my highest level team? I've been usually doing it with my regular team at the moment which is usually a couple of lower level people mixed in; I would hate to "lose" the XP, but wonder if it would be better to just go for it to get them done and not worry about that? Or to put it another way, do people only really worry about leveling up characters on the EXP dungeon?

Edit: Oh my god are some of the daily dungeons harder than others? I had no problem clearing a stage on the daily EXP and upgrade dungeon, I'm trying today's dungeon though and I am getting absolutely fucking destroyed.

Some of the dailies are harder than others, sure. Todays FF4 one is much harder than the Sunday, for me atleast.

As for dungeons - I usually take 2 lv.65+ characters and 3 feeders for XP, adjusting the balance depending on difficulty. I've only got 90+ difficulty elites left so anyone below lv.50 without RS can do one and wait for Sunday though lol.

MrDaravon

Some of the dailies are harder than others, sure. Todays FF4 one is much harder than the Sunday, for me atleast.

As for dungeons - I usually take 2 lv.65+ characters and 3 feeders for XP, adjusting the balance depending on difficulty. I've only got 90+ difficulty elites left so anyone below lv.50 without RS can do one and wait for Sunday though lol.

Yeah I've only got a couple of characters that have even broken the 50 cap >_>. Usually I was running with whoever, but for me at least it seems like anything past difficulty ~55 turns into serious mode. Goes back to what I mentioned about having no armor; like I just did a run on a FFIV elite dungeon with Josef (who is level 40 but has no FFIV armor because I don't have enough) and would double slash he kills enemies in one hit, but then he gets nearly one-shot by everything. So depending on my luck I get stuck in these cycles where depending on who enemies attack and whether or not they miss I get kinda screwed. I think I'm just going to start running my hardmode team on anything that's approaching being challenging; I'm thinking that pushing forward to clear dungeons is more important than getting stuck or struggling on them just to get a level 35 character or whatever some xp.

Indeed - the XP gain from regular dungeons is fairly insignificant to be honest and not really worth the hassle of optimising around (if anything to escape the UI woes). Better to dedicate Sundays for levelling up your guys and just play it safe and take most of your A team for the harder stuff.

MrDaravon

Indeed - the XP gain from regular dungeons is fairly insignificant to be honest and not really worth the hassle of optimising around (if anything to escape the UI woes). Better to dedicate Sundays for levelling up your guys and just play it safe and take most of your A team for the harder stuff.

Yeah, I think I'll at least bring level 50 folks where I've broken the level cap so I'm at least getting something out of it for them. I've only done that on a couple of people excluding Cloud (who is my main at 63 I think right now). I'll have to go look but I think I've got Snow, Tyro, and Vanille all at 50 with the cap broken; haven't been playing long enough to have ton of MC's and most of the ones I do have I don't have those characters up to 50 yet.

Edit: Ha, my first dungeon with Tyro I got his RM2 (Attunement II). I'm sure it's probably garbage, but that's something at least.

Falk

that puzzling face
Real talk - Not to reward shitty app optimization or anything but I'd rather spend a dollar on Sunday for one additional refresh which would cover whatever additional XP I'd gain from min-maxing the normal dungeons/events than spend 5 minutes dicking the awful UI for every single change.

Not going to spend that dollar though, heh

I think I'm also done on 100gem pulls for now, until something drastic happens (UI change where are you). Feel like at this point I've done my small part to keep the servers running, whatever that's worth in relation to the crazy whales out there.

edit: Attunement II is one of the better damage RMs for vulnerability bosses. It adds 20% damage for hitting a weakness. (Of course, Devotion and Dragoon's Determination outclass it)

MrDaravon

Real talk - Not to reward shitty app optimization or anything but I'd rather spend a dollar on Sunday for one additional refresh which would cover whatever additional XP I'd gain from min-maxing the normal dungeons/events than spend 5 minutes dicking the awful UI for every single change.

Not going to spend that dollar though, heh

I think I'm also done on 100gem pulls for now, until something drastic happens (UI change where are you). Feel like at this point I've done my small part to keep the servers running, whatever that's worth in relation to the crazy whales out there.

edit: Attunement II is one of the better damage RMs for vulnerability bosses. It adds 20% damage for hitting a weakness. (Of course, Devotion and Dragoon's Determination outclass it)

Not that I would probably actually do that either, but the comparison to spending a dollar for a single refresh to make up for any xp lost doing regular dungeons really puts that in perspective and I agree.

I'm still doing 100 gem pulls, but also like you in part just because it's sort of how I'm "paying" for the game. Also I need shit since I'm still new. I put $10 on my Google Play account for this and I'm down to eithe $2 or $3, not sure if I'll re-up after that runs out or not. It's still super crazy to me how expensive the real money pulls are. I mean the math must be working out for them otherwise they wouldn't still be doing it, but I would have pegged the normal price being 100 gems for a single pull and 1000 gems for an 11-pull all of the time. Honestly if an 11-pull was always $10 that would be sorely tempting, but $30 is way out in loltown no territory. I don't remember from the orbfest event, the discounted gem price is only for the single pull right? Did they do any sort of reduced gem cost on 11-pulls when they were half-off at 25 mythril?

And yeah I keep forgetting RMs are sharable between anyone who has broken their level cap and can equip RMs. I almost know what I'm doing now, I swear!

So uh, a word regarding retaliate. Do not under any circumstance have one of those protect/shell on getting hit rms equipped. I just had a rough go of el cid elite due to gilgmesh losing seemingly 50% of his advantaliate hits due to this, continually getting protect instead of hitting back. Caused only one reload thankfully. Luckily I had diaga and ruinga r4s otherwise not happening.and he didn't use his seraphic be. Ugh, that was rough. Only have Bahamut left for these elites. Not look forward to that one or the stam requirement.

Going through old elites and just got Josef's memory crystal, what's the best dungeon to grind for it in terms of battles to stamina ratio?

Going through old elites and just got Josef's memory crystal, what's the best dungeon to grind for it in terms of battles to stamina ratio?

I spent well over 1000 stam to get it, good luck. I think I alternated snow caverns. You will get a crapload of lesser powers which are useful, though not as much as before.

Just finished the Bahamut elite. 6 seconds to spare. Mvps were hope with meteor r2 ruinga r4 and lightning from the back row with vega and tempo flurry and drain strike.

Now on to the dailies and to try for Leon and dragons rm2 to drop, not fun with dragoon. First round, got a major power orb, good deal! Need 89 greater black orbs to make the final three Aja I end up to r4....not happening for a while!

Razmos

Lmao I was just coming here to post that I'm probably going to make it to 25 mythril by friday, yay.

A free 25 mythril is greatly appreciated though. UNIQUE SOUL BREAKS FOR EVERYONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom