• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD | Review Thread

VentureBeat 90/100

Bringing such an interesting, varied, and challenging game to consoles was a great move by Square Enix for the franchise. It’s more Final Fantasy than any recent Final Fantasy game.

SAgamer 9.0/10

It doesn’t just end there either, there are quite a few extra tasks to perform – some easy, some not. There are also additional super tough missions to participate in. A new game plus mode opens up after you’ve beaten the game and an additional difficulty mode is unlocked for the truly hardcore Final Fantasy fan.

I have to hand it to Square Enix, this is an enjoyable and beautiful addition to any Final Fantasy library. It’s fresh enough for new people but contains enough charm for old Fantasy fans.

GamingNexus 8.8/10

While not the next-generation Final Fantasy game fans are anxiously waiting for, Type-0 is a fun action/adventure with a lot of compelling ideas. There's enough variety in the gameplay to keep the combat fresh for dozens of hours, and the story is surprisingly emotional for a political thriller. Sadly, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is held back by its handheld roots, but don't let that keep you from discovering this oddity.

Destructoid 8.5/10

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a pleasant surprise, and after playing it, I can see why so many people were clamoring for a western release. Although it doesn't necessarily justify the HD treatment at every turn, the core game is worth playing whether you're a fan of the franchise, or just enjoy challenging tactical action. If Square keeps highlighting and pushing quality experiences like this, it will prove to more people it hasn't lost its touch.

Nova Crystallis/RPG Site 8/10

Its concepts and story are unique and hold up four years on, despite the visual inconsistencies of the HD version. It would have been nice to see things like the world structure and camera retooled further, but it’s clear the game wasn’t given that luxury.

These ideas are certainly the products of portable limitations, but in the end they fail to stifle what is in truth a compelling experience.

GameTrailers 8.0/10

Final Fantasy Type-0’s HD qualification might be questionable, but don’t be quick to dismiss the game itself. While it has its flaws, most notably its story and its need for you to play it twice, Type-0 is a radically different style of Final Fantasy. It strives to go in a different direction than its predecessors while not completely abandoning the series’ rich legacy. Though it’s clear Type-0’s doesn’t completely shed its portable origins, it offers more than enough to stand toe-to-toe with its other console counterparts. It’s a good action-packed RPG that does the Final Fantasy name justice.

IGN 8.0/10

Type-0’s gritty tone, fast-paced action, and strategic approach to time management is a welcome change of pace from the usual Final Fantasy experience. Though an exasperating camera and clunky mission controls sometimes dampened my fun, I enjoyed meeting the Class Zero cadets and guiding them through battle. There’s definitely no other class quite like them.

GameSpot 8/10

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is about the fluid and frantic action, which propels you towards the next battle, and then the next, and then the next. The overarching story is tough to chew on, but the heartfelt personal stories vividly address the ugly side of war--the blood, the gore, and the sadness that lingers even when the memories of why you were fighting fade away. Yet it’s the battles themselves that make the most forcible argument for spending 25-plus hours with Final Fantasy Type-0, for it's in the combat arenas that Orience truly comes to life.

DigitalChumps 8.0/10

All of this leaves Type-0 something of a handsome mess. A complicated, beautiful, discordant, and disruptive mess. You'll scoff at the design trappings of a four-year-old game from a ten-year-old platform , marvel at the personalization behind its mechanics, revel in consuming its substantial amount of content, openly dismiss and simultaneously embrace its bonkers narrative, and maybe come to terms with the weird and winding road Type-0 drove into existence. Tallying its assets against its imperfections may reveal an uneven score, but Type-0 nevertheless worked for me. Maybe it could for you, too.

GameZone 8/10

If I was to score the game purely based on its individual mechanics, it would probably score less than what I decided to give it. However, my long hours spent with the game never wore me out. I was always willing to boot it up and progress the story, even if it meant I had to get through its largely archaic systems. I wanted to find out the fate of Rubrum, Orience and Class Zero. And even more importantly, I wanted to dive headfirst into each and every action-packed mission. It's a game I envied Japan of having for so long, and now I'm thankful to see that the envy was justified.

Polygon 8/10

After years of finding myself increasingly let down by each new Final Fantasy game, I'm as surprised as anyone that Final Fantasy Type-0 succeeds in so many ways. It discovers a fine balance the series has been sorely missing, between simplicity and complexity, difficulty and approachability, scope and scale. It also finds its own voice and a wide variety of things to keep players busy. Not all of those activities are handled perfectly, but damn it, I'd rather have a game that tries something interesting and occasionally stumbles than another generic saving-the-world epic.

Kotaku "Yes"

It's frustrating in a lot of ways. But once you've really gotten the hang of the combat, once you've learned how to bounce around the battlefield and drive your whip into an enemy just as that red marker appears on his chest, it's not hard to forgive Type-0 for its many flaws. Just don't forget to talk to everyone.
Just the type of console Final Fantasy we needed after all those years of Lightning

Lazygamer 7.5/10

Thanks to being an excellent PSP game, the glossed up version feels like a unique and enjoyable Final Fantasy experience. With deep storytelling and an interesting take on existing lore, fans of the franchise will want to play it. However, if you already gave it a whirl on PSP, it might not necessarily be worth the money to dish out for it again.

Final Fantasy Net 7/10

...the title’s PSP roots are still apparent, both on the presentation and gameplay front. If you have specific expectations about what a current generation Final Fantasy should be, I would be much more comfortable recommending the always online but single player-friendly Final Fantasy XIV – or perhaps the Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae demo if you preordered Type-0 will be enough to whet your appetite.

GamesRadar 3.5/5

Final Fantasy Type-0 may have started life as a PSP game, but its mysterious world and challenging fast-paced combat are an exciting mix. Shame about the voice acting and interface, though.

GameSided 7/10

Despite my complaints, I had fun with my 30+ hours with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD because of the excellently designed battle system. Even though it’s lacking in exploration, there is still dozens of hours of gameplay ahead, including lots of endgame content like high-level quests and massively powerful beasts that roam the landscape. There’s even a new game plus mode, with extra scenes and a different ending. Is Final Fantasy Type-0 HD worth $60 though? For an HD port of a PSP game? I’d say that depends on how hard up you are for a lengthy RPG on your Xbox One or PS4, both of which are fairly void of those right now. If you aren’t expecting a top notch next-gen experience and just want a decent RPG, I’d say it’s worth your time and money.

Push Square 7/10

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mechanically solid action role-playing game, but now and again, it feels far more like a straight port than a grand remaster. However, questionable visual effects and some pretentious plot points aren't quite enough to hold back the efforts of Class Zero. Even though it can take a little while to truly click, this is a unique and refreshing entry in Square Enix's beloved franchise, and a one that's a prime candidate for an even better sequel.

Game Informer 6/10

If you like what Type-0 has to offer, the presence of additional story and mission content offers ample reason to return for subsequent playthroughs, but it comes with the cost of having an indecipherable plot the first time through. Nods to the broader Final Fantasy lore provide a nostalgic hit, and there’s lots of content to explore in Type-0. However, without a more engaging combat experience or a story that I could care about, Class Zero’s adventure failed to reignite anything but a glimmer of my Final Fantasy fandom.

Stevivor 6/10

If you’re a big Final Fantasy fan you may be considering picking this one up; depending on how big a fan you are impacts how much you’ll enjoy it. If you’re a huge fan there’s a damn good chance you’ll be grabbing this simply because it comes with a demo for Final Fantasy XV. Removing that, I honestly had a little trouble deciding how I felt about FFT0; it’s not bad, it just feels a bit like focus at Square Enix has shifted (rightfully) towards other — and quite big — upcoming games.

Hardcore Gamer 2.5/5

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD contains highly enjoyable combat that’s unfortunately limited by its design. The repetitive nature of how the missions are structured damages the overall experience, not to mention it isn’t until roughly halfway through the campaign before a meaningful plot is established. That tied in with a cast that’s spread too thin equates to a story that had incredible promise but ends up falling flat... Final Fantasy Type-0 HD has some fantastic ideas implemented with restrictive elements that ultimately don’t work with a console release.

GamingTrend 45/100

No amount of visual updates can mask the fact that Type-0 was clearly never designed to be on consoles. What great ideas it has are buried under a story that’s rendered meaningless and a camera that prevents you from seeing most of them in the first place.

Arcade Sushi 4/10

Even if you try to overlook its abysmal story, which merely and blatantly tells without showing or explaining; its last-gen-removed graphics, whose clear coat of polish hardly hides its numerous fallacies; its horrendous camera, which blurs everything around the character as it pans in an attempt to hide everything ugly in the background; and the few flaws in its action-oriented combat system, (the game's only saving grace), Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is nothing more than a quick-and-dirty port that not only misses the standards of current-gen (and even last-gen) consoles, it misses the standards of the Final Fantasy series as a whole.

McDougles

One of my staffers wrote the review of Final Fantasy Type-0 for GameSided. He gave it a 7/10.

Despite my complaints, I had fun with my 30+ hours with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD because of the excellently designed battle system. Even though it’s lacking in exploration, there is still dozens of hours of gameplay ahead, including lots of endgame content like high-level quests and massively powerful beasts that roam the landscape. There’s even a new game plus mode, with extra scenes and a different ending. Is Final Fantasy Type-0 HD worth $60 though? For an HD port of a PSP game? I’d say that depends on how hard up you are for a lengthy RPG on your Xbox One or PS4, both of which are fairly void of those right now. If you aren’t expecting a top notch next-gen experience and just want a decent RPG, I’d say it’s worth your time and money.

KupoNut

When the story isn't giving lectures about military operations, it's zipping through vague cut-scenes that feel incomplete, like large slices of dialogue were left on the cutting room floor. Major narrative arcs are introduced and discarded at random, and even after 22+ hours I still couldn't tell you who some of the characters were, let alone why they did the things they did. Like Final Fantasy XIII, Type-0 comes with a large encyclopedia in which you can reference events and characters you've seen before. (Thankfully, unlike FFXIII, Type-0 won't spoil events before they happen.) But encyclopedia-reading isn't exactly an engaging form of storytelling, and although there are fascinating themes in Type-0, the narrative was just too clunky to resonate with me.

From Kotaku's review.

Burbeting

Banned
Gaming Trend: 45/100

"No amount of visual updates can mask the fact that Type-0 was clearly never designed to be on consoles. What great ideas it has are buried under a story that’s rendered meaningless and a camera that prevents you from seeing most of them in the first place."

Aru

This seems to be much like another Crisis Core. Which is ok by me considering FFXIII left a bad taste in my mouth.

I loved all Tabata's games I've played so far, especially Crisis Core. Can't fucking wait. I have to wait another stupid week because of transit time :(

Spinx

I hated my time with the PSP version. Everything was mediocre. At least XIII had a decent battle system(after 20 hours
KuGsj.gif
)

Certinty

Seems like the camera is a real issue and it's disappointing how some textures look like they haven't been updated at all. But saying that I loved Crisis Core and want the XV demo so I'll keep my pre-order.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Same game on 3DS or Vita and the scores would probably be higher... Than again it's SE faults for waiting 4 years before releasing a PSP in the west.

Interesting to see how it performs, will give the PSP version a try if I find it cheap of the Remaster hits Steam.

Jeels

Hello everyone, here's my review - FinalFantasy.net http://www.finalfantasy.net/type0/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-review/ Feel free to ask away if there are any questions. 7/10

FinalFantasy.net said:
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a thoughtful experiment on what a Final Fantasy can be. Square Enix and Hexadrive have done an impressive job bringing what was a 2011 portable game to the Playstation 4 and Xbox One.

However, the title’s PSP roots are still apparent, both on the presentation and gameplay front. If you have specific expectations about what a current generation Final Fantasy should be, I would be much more comfortable recommending the always online but single player-friendly Final Fantasy XIV.

In the meantime, Type-0 represents where a modern, action oriented Final Fantasy could go, and it’s a future I’m personally very excited for.

Cornbread78

uggh, I hate seeing reviews sometimes. This and Persona are the only games I can afford this year, so hopefully, my trend of enjoying games the media slays continues...

Rootbeer

Banned
if it wasn't for the FFXV demo (only available for the first 2 months) I would be waiting for it to drop to £20 but at £36 on amazon it isn't bad.

Same... the demo sealed the deal.

I skipped Lightning Returns entirely, but had to jump on this one. I long for a jrpg on console from SE that I can get behind and really love. It may be a pipedream at this point... but I have a lot of hope for XV

if it wasn't for the FFXV demo (only available for the first 2 months) I would be waiting for it to drop to £20 but at £36 on amazon it isn't bad.

By the time I'm done with other games in my backlog it'll probably have reached that price anyway. I can hold off Episode Duscae for now.

CorvoSol

So it sounds like they didn't really make any changes to the game besides visuals. Really enjoyed it as a PSP game, but I've kinda had to wonder how it would pan out trying to pass itself off as a console FF and not as a Crisis Core sequel.

What? How? Where?

Rakuten.co.uk via SimplyGames. They sell it for £32.95 and with MARGIFT5 you get £5 off, so £27.95 all together. That's the best you'll be able to find.

When I bought the game I used a code called FEBGIFT15 which gave me 15% off (£27.92) and then using that code also gave me a free £5 to spend at Rakuten, which I used to buy 2 games that GAME gave me £9 trade-in credit for, so overall £18.92 including demo, bargain!

It's a Fabula Nova Crystalis game, what did you guys expect lol

So FFXV is going to be shit huh?

LiK

I guess Jay likes the combat enough to let everything else slide?

Excerpt:
Final Fantasy Type-0 is not a great game. It's too rough, too messy, too bad at coherent story-telling to live up to the standards set by Final Fantasys of old. But it's a very good game, with satisfying, challenging combat, a lovely soundtrack, and a healthy dose of that Final Fantasy vibe we haven't seen in a console game for quite some time now. I liked Type-0 way more than I probably should have, and I expect that I'll be replaying it for a while to come, even if it does have a few too many things to say about Peristyliums and l'Cies.

Top Bottom