• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII Uncertain For E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
2San said:
30j4ny1.jpg

Tales of Vesperia world map.

I'd imagine this is what Nomura originally had in mind for the world map: giant dude walking over a miniature representation of the world. It looks stupid in this day and age.

Give some FFXII or DQVIII over that antiquated nonsense.

H_Prestige said:
I'd imagine this is what Nomura originally had in mind for the world map: giant dude walking over a miniature representation of the world. It looks stupid in this day and age.

Yeah. If you look at the top of the the notice board (on the last page) you can see a giant Noctis standing on the world map.

badcrumble said:
Didn't Toriyama say at GDC that the theme of Fabula Nova Crystalis is mortals being manipulated by deities and that Versus would be similar in linearity to FF12? I'm happy to have it be a cinematic experience, and even for it to be linear (I loved FFX), but I hope Versus at least lets us revisit old areas.

I don't remember that, but I do recall Nomura stating that he wanted the maps in Versus to be as large and seamless as possible, and that there would be an emphasis on exploration and finding summons and stuff like that. Along with the airship.

H_Prestige said:

If they do adopt the XII style I hope they make it so that the small areas are all just fused into one big zone.

Kagari said:
Let's see... what would this game be conflicting with at E3... there's KH: BBS, Dragon Quest 6 and 9, FFXIV, uh... can't think of much else unless they decide to unveil Agito XIII and/or 3rd Birthday.

Eidos. There's potentially a new (proper) Tomb Raider, Hitman, and others from them as well as Deus Ex and so on. Plus there's that Western-developed FF, whoever took over that after GRIN got the boot. Point is, there's plenty.

Haunted

Rez said:
world maps, though simple, give the world a feeling of cohesiveness that FFX and FFXIII are really missing.

When I see a character walk from a large metal city to a forest, it is far less jarring than walking out of a city, fading to black, then appearing in a forest that looks like it was designed by another art team.

It's the small things that make the difference, and the world map was one of those small things.
Generally agreed, although a traversable 3D overworld is not a small thing but has huge ramifications for the gameplay and pacing of a title.

If we're just talking about a bitmap + list FFX/TLR style, then yeah.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
World map should be like FFVIII. It's pretty much the perfected incarnation

The trains especially made it more believable. Loved it

Haunted

I thought Blue Dragon's was pretty outstanding in concept and execution, at least as far as this generation is concerned.

cue "creating 3D overworlds in HD is hard" comment from Kitase.

2San said:
http://i41.tinypic.com/30j4ny1.jpg[IMG]

[spoiler]Tales of Vesperia world map.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

I don't see any enemies...

don't tell me this has invisible random encounters. I'm okay with a map like this as long as I can see SOMETHING even if its just a stand in for the screen transition to the battle

As long as we're on the subject of world maps. I want a world with a real ecosystem. Like there are all these monsters... but where are the monster babies? Why do I never see them eat something, etc

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Should be like DQVIII but you can see the enemies. :p

Something like encounter an enemy, a battle map will appear and the battle would be like KH style.

Fimbulvetr said:
If they do adopt the XII style I hope they make it so that the small areas are all just fused into one big zone.

I believe that's what Nomura explicitly said in one of the early interviews. He wants to reduce zones as much as possible.

ULTROS! said:
Should be like DQVIII but you can see the enemies. :p

Something like encounter an enemy, a battle map will appear and the battle would be like KH style.

I agree with you except for the battle transitions. It should be like FFXII and KH where you see the enemy and you just start fighting. The map itself should be the battlefield.

hipgnosis

HamPster PamPster said:

don't tell me this has invisible random encounters. I'm okay with a map like this as long as I can see SOMETHING even if its just a stand in for the screen transition to the battle
The enemies can be seen in ToV, so the encounters are not random.

Jeels

zoukka said:
That time wasting part is optional. As it is meant to be.

Jesus I mean that's the point of world maps. You wander in search of treasure, exotic enemies and hidden locations. Even though it wouldn't be Fallout style huge open space, it still gives you the feeling of adventure and exploration. You really need to stop sucking XIII:s cock and remember that these world maps work when done right.

The only world map I've ever seen done right in 3D was Dragon Quest 8, because that didn't even feel like a world map, it felt like an actual world.

HamPster PamPster said:

The monsters in ToV are all ninjas, you see puffs of smoke and then the monsters are suddenly walking around on the world map. After that you can attack them or run away from them, or they chase you around the map until you're out of distance. No random battles.

HamPster PamPster said:
As long as we're on the subject of world maps. I want a world with a real ecosystem. Like there are all these monsters... but where are the monster babies? Why do I never see them eat something, etc

FFXII says hi.

Sure, you only see the miracle of birth during one boss battle, but there are some interesting monster reactions(i.e. saurian eating wolves in Dalmasca Estersands to lvl up). It'd be awesome if they fleshed it out more though.

XIII had shades of this too with one part having wolves and behemoths being territorial. If a behemoth walks into wolf territory(and visa-versa) you'll see wolves running around to attack it and if you enter battle with them it'll be a three way battle instead of both of them just attacking you.

ezekial45

Banned
DQVIII had, by far, the best world map in an rpg. Built to scale, hidden items, touch encounters, it had everything i could've wanted in an overworld.

The World Map/Overworld seems to be a dying feature in JRPG's. Which is disappointing. I can understand that today's tech makes designing and building one, the ones like in the pre-ffX games, much more difficult to do, but to be honest it just feels weird not having one. I'm still diappointed that FFX didn't get one.

hipgnosis

ezekial45 said:
DQVIII had, by far, the best world map in an rpg. Built to scale, hidden items, touch encounters, it had everything i could've wanted in an overworld.

The World Map/Overworld seems to be a dying feature in JRPG's. Which is disappointing. I can understand that today's tech makes designing and building one, the ones like in the pre-ffX games, much more difficult to do, but to be honest it just feels weird not having one. I'm still diappointed that FFX didn't get one.
This is truly disappointing. RPGs are getting closer to action games. I want them traditional :(

Suzzopher said:
I hope they haven't ditched the world map :( Unless it is too hard to tell a compelling story in an open world.
:lol :lol :lol

WTF are they smoking over there? I've been enjoying FF13 myself but come on, why is everything so hard for S-E these days?

2San

H_Prestige said:

Zoe said:
That's what it looks like?

No thanks. I've gotten used to my Final Fantasy games being to scale.
Yeah I agree it looks bad, but do you think SE is capable of what FF12 or DQ8 had? Considering their actions and statements this the best we can hope for and honestly it's good from a gameplay standpoint.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Actually, it's from an interview with Nomura in S-E Members site:

Q,ヴェルサスは何%ぐらいできてるんでしょうかね?
野村「まだ全部つなげていないので、各パートで進行度が違います。
   ただ、飛空艇でワールドマップは飛べますよ。」

Q,何歳まで現役を?
野村「自分の将来像は、考えていません。」

Q,野村さんが一番気に入っているキャラは誰?
野村「自分が描いたキャラクターは、みんな好きですが、
   一番付き合いが多いソラは特別です。」

Q,DFFの続編を検討中って話がどうなったか、気になる……!
野村「『ディシディア ファイナルファンタジー』の続編、がんばります!」

Q,コナミの小島氏とネットラジオで色々対談されましたが、その後の関係は?
野村「小島さんからは、たまに食事に誘っていただいています。」

Q,ツイッター始めてほしいです。
野村「つぶやくことが...ありません。」

Q,最新情報は?
野村「プロデューサーの橋本さんに止められています。」

Q,関わりのある作品の近況、遊んでいるゲームや趣味は?
野村「年内に2本は発売したいです。遊んでいるゲームは、「バトルフィールド2」をクリアして、「ヘビーレイン」を遊び始めました。ゲーム以外の趣味は、映像関係全般をなんでも見ることです。」

Nomura confirms worldmap/airships on worldmap, but doesn't give a percentage done for Versus XIII.

From evil_maki on gamefaqs:

1. Current progress of games you're currently working on, games currently playing and non-gaming hobby?
Nomura: I want to release two games within this year. Just recently finished "Battlefield 2" and started playing "Heavy Rain". For other hobbies, I try to watch all sorts of motion pictures.

2. I would like to know the current progress of Versus 13, Agito 13 and 3rd Birthday, and also when new information will be revealed.
Nomura: Producer Hashimoto isn't letting me.

3. You used to be on Kojima (Hideo)'s net radio for awhile, but how are things between you two now?
Nomura: Sometimes Kojima invite me to lunch.

4. I would like you to start using Twitter.
Nomura: I have... nothing to tweet about.

5. I'm curious over what happened to your consideration over a Dissidia FF sequel!
Nomura: I'll try my best to work on Dissidia FF's sequel!

6. Until of what age do you think you'll be actively working in this job?
Nomura: I haven't thought much about my future.

7. How much percentage of Versus XIII is done so far?
Nomura: Not everything is connected yet; each part of the game is progressing differently. Oh, but we got the airship to fly on the World Map now.

8. You've done all sorts of character designs for FF, KH, Parasite Eve, Subaseka and so on; who is your most favourite?
Nomura: I like all of the characters I created but Sora is the most special because of the many associations he brought to me.

Zoe

2San said:
Yeah I agree it looks bad, but do you think SE is capable of what FF12 or DQ8 had? Considering their actions and statements this the best we can hope for and honestly it's good from a gameplay standpoint.
Yes, I do think they're capable of FF12. WKC had it and that came out over a year ago.

I like how the translation almost makes it seem like they have a warehouse with a big airship they got working - Oh, but we got the airship to fly on the World Map now!

So... two games releasing this year? Birth by Sleep and what else? Which do you all think is further along / going to release first - Dissidia 2 or Verses XIII

I hope Dissidia 2 is original characters telling a more traditional FF story using the same battle system in the first one, but I'm guessing the Dissidia brand is pretty much FF character vs one another at this point. Heres hoping for Ramza and Delita!

2San

Zoe said:
Yes, I do think they're capable of FF12. WKC had it and that came out over a year ago.
And you know that FFXIII didn't turn out that way because of choice? They where forced, because of time constraints afaik. I'd be down with a worse looking Final Fantasy if the world is as massive FF12's. I just want a world map with some exploration and towns.

Zoe

2San said:
And you know that FFXIII didn't turn out that way because of choice? They where forced, because of time constraints afaik. I'd be down with a worse looking Final Fantasy if the world is as massive FF12's. I just want a world map with some exploration and towns.

From a plot perspective, the design choices in FFXIII make complete sense. Ignoring that, significantly more time went into engine development rather than scenario development which is a much larger issue.

If a "lesser" development studio can pull off a seamless FFXII-like world in this generation, then I believe that SE can do it too.

Kagari said:
Actually, it's from an interview with Nomura in S-E Members site:

Nomura confirms worldmap/airships on worldmap, but doesn't give a percentage done for Versus XIII.

From evil_maki on gamefaqs:

1. Current progress of games you're currently working on, games currently playing and non-gaming hobby?
Nomura: I want to release two games within this year. Just recently finished "Battlefield 2" and started playing "Heavy Rain". For other hobbies, I try to watch all sorts of motion pictures.

2. I would like to know the current progress of Versus 13, Agito 13 and 3rd Birthday, and also when new information will be revealed.
Nomura: Producer Hashimoto isn't letting me.

3. You used to be on Kojima (Hideo)'s net radio for awhile, but how are things between you two now?
Nomura: Sometimes Kojima invite me to lunch.

4. I would like you to start using Twitter.
Nomura: I have... nothing to tweet about.

5. I'm curious over what happened to your consideration over a Dissidia FF sequel!
Nomura: I'll try my best to work on Dissidia FF's sequel!

6. Until of what age do you think you'll be actively working in this job?
Nomura: I haven't thought much about my future.

7. How much percentage of Versus XIII is done so far?
Nomura: Not everything is connected yet; each part of the game is progressing differently. Oh, but we got the airship to fly on the World Map now.

8. You've done all sorts of character designs for FF, KH, Parasite Eve, Subaseka and so on; who is your most favourite?
Nomura: I like all of the characters I created but Sora is the most special because of the many associations he brought to me.

Damn you SE

Spiegel

HamPster PamPster said:
So... two games releasing this year? Birth by Sleep and what else? Which do you all think is further along / going to release first - Dissidia 2 or Verses XIII

Birth By Sleep shouldn't count. It has already been released in Japan.

The 3rd Birthday must be one of them (please), the other could be Agito XIII/Mystery game 1/Mystery game 2.

Also fuck Hashimoto.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Spiegel said:
Birth By Sleep shouldn't count. It has already been released in Japan.

The 3rd Birthday must be one of them (please), the other could be Agito XIII/Mystery game 1/Mystery game 2.

Also fuck Hashimoto.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
cosmicblizzard said:
Oh thank god. This gives me hope for the world map. As long as it's either PSX era style or DQVIII style, I'll be happy.

Airships working on the world map, yo.

cosmicblizzard said:
Oh thank god. This gives me hope for the world map. As long as it's either PSX era style or DQVIII style, I'll be happy.

Nomura already ruled out ps1 style, so looks it will be realistic scale.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom