• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI is being "remade" for iOS and Android; Square interested in FF7 iOS

Just know that at the very least, these cheap looking ports will end at Final Fantasy 6.

I've got a feeling that if they remake Final Fantasy 7, 8, and/or 9 they will be the absolute shit visually

Hell, they could redo all the game's backgrounds and leave nearly everything else as is and they'd still look like the shit.

Actually, I think an FFVII smartphone release would be much easier than the SFC games. They really wouldn't have to redraw much of anything if they still have all the original assets.

1) resample the CG rendered backgrounds for higher resolutions than the PS1. Hopefully they still have the original files for that.

2) higher resolution running the 3D models

3) environments would be much easier to navigate with analog virtual controls than strictly sprite-based 2D games and a virtual d-pad.

This basically would apply to any of the PS1 FF games, I think.

Synless

Meanwhile in my dreams:

Final Fantasy VI for 3DS or Vita

From this

xdTD5m9.png

mPTR0Bi.png

To this

OZbFARC.png

4wzf4uD.png

SE you just have to use your Dissidia models database. But NO because you're fucking retarded!
I think I'm going to cry.

mutsu

So basically Square-Enix is saturating the smartphone market with Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy remakes/ports. I wonder how well this strategy is going to do for them.

If they are doing this so that they can fund a full-scape JRPG of those series on a console or 3DS/Vita handheld, then I am fine with whatever they want to do on smartphones.

But who I am kidding... they are just preparing the fans for a full numbered sequel on smartphones. Unless the remakes/ports causes catastrophic failure.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So basically Square-Enix is saturating the smartphone market with Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy remakes/ports. I wonder how well this strategy is going to do for them.

It worked pretty well for them when they did it with portable systems.

Re-releasing their old games, when they had more talent and creativity, seems to be their M.O.

butman

To make a game like that would require tons of resources and money and delay new projects for quite some time. Let them work on 15 for goodness's sake.

I will buy this pure and solid piece FF remake instead of XV.

kiryogi

Banned
They're milking that FFD engine for all its worth..... I don't think folks would be so up in arms about all this If FFV mobile turned out decent. But just look at the atrocity. Sigh.

I'm mad, and at the same time, I ain't even mad. Once final fantasy 16 and dragon quest 11 are confirmed iOS square enix is dead to me

If they are doing this so that they can fund a full-scape JRPG of those series on a console or 3DS/Vita handheld, then I am fine with whatever they want to do on smartphones.

But who I am kidding... they are just preparing the fans for a full numbered sequel on smartphones. Unless the remakes/ports causes catastrophic failure.

I would gladly show my faith in such a split-market approach, but I'm having trouble doing that after that Reform With Urgency announcement from a few days ago.

It makes the whole thing appear quick and sloppy, but I do look forward to being proven wrong.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Meanwhile in my dreams:

Final Fantasy VI for 3DS or Vita

From this

xdTD5m9.png

mPTR0Bi.png

To this

OZbFARC.png

4wzf4uD.png

SE you just have to use your Dissidia models database. But NO because you're fucking retarded!

Yuck. Glad I didn't know how ridiculous Kefka looks when I originally played the game.

At the end of the day, i just hope that this will all stop someday. Someday.... they will just run out of these ports just like they ran out of it on handhelds. And if things hold well, we might see them going back to consoles
and handhelds
in the near future.

Vorg

Banned
Well with final fantasy dimensions alone selling over100.000 copies on google play at 17.99 and the other ff games also selling tens of thousands on android (dunno about ios, but probably even bigger numbers), they'd be crazy not to keep porting their games over. I don't see the big deal, to be honest. I enjoyed playing FF4 on my tablet.

Rpgmonkey

I'm cool with it being 2D, I'm even cool with it being mobile (for the most part...), but I didn't like FFViOS's style at all. Looks horrible to me.

If their visual work mostly consists of just replicating that style, that will be the biggest factor in why I probably won't buy it.

MRORANGE

This is fantastic news.

- Opens up the game to new players
- A great game now on iOS which nearly every person uses
- It's harder to get on old hardware such as GBA and SNES
- Updated one of the main problems of the game.
- renovated it with new graphics
- Square Enix makes mad money on mobile
- game will be amazing to control

I don't understand the hate.

mutsu

This is fantastic news.

- Control is one of the main reason why I don't play RPGs on my phone/tablet.
- Graphics is the main reason I am not playing FF5 on my iPad.

butman

This is fantastic news.

FF V iOS

This is fantastic news.

It's readily available on Wii, with real control methods. No reason to terrorize potential new fans with a downgraded port.

Shengar

Welcome to mobile future people! what only change is that Sturgeon's Law shifted from 90% to 99% of all things are crap. The good news is that 1% more than enough for us to exhausted it in one lifetime. I said it again, welcome to mobile future!

klee123

The reactions in this thread is hilarious.

Give it up people, S-E's days of being predominately console/handheld are long gone.

I expect their output to be something like 80:20 in favor of mobiles.

yay for ridiculously bad stock phone fonts!

fuck you SE

my $10 for a shoddy 30FPS port of Chrono Trigger with bad fonts is the last iOS money they will ever get from me.

Minsc

Gold Member
Battery life on an iPad is amazing, more likely it wast longer than a Vita, plus when did you need proper controls for FF? this isn't DMC.

Some people have no tolerance for touch screens, like at all.

As for battery life, if only they made something that extends the battery life of mobile devices... lol. Well, if you aren't happy with ~5 hours, you can always buy a battery case / external pack, or like you said, play on a tablet and enjoy 10 hour battery life.

mutsu

Battery life on an iPad is amazing, more likely it wast longer than a Vita, plus when did you need proper controls for FF? this isn't DMC.

I despise the controls mainly because I have to move my hands way too much when playing FFV on my iPad. I don't particularly dislike the fact that these games are not on console/handhelds, it is the fact that Square Enix is doing a very poor job in transitioning these games to a touch screen device.

EDIT: And to the point of the post below, yes the lack of effort and attention on these "remakes" are just ridiculously bad. It's not just the controls, it's across the board.

These are cheap-ass remakes that tries to cash in on mobile games, that's it. They are not a work of art by any means.

This is fantastic news.

have you seen the font SE uses on iOS games?

final-fantasy-v-ios.jpg

That's their FFV "remake". The original looks way better.

Darryl

Banned
The reactions in this thread is hilarious.

Give it up people, S-E's days of being predominately console/handheld are long gone.

I expect their output to be something like 80:20 in favor of mobiles.

It's annoying because most of square-enix's product hasn't been social nor mobile in foundation. each forced push in that direction is going to get a big push back from me until they manage to make something appropriate.

I was one of those android users who was pissed for months after having FFIV tangled in front of us by iphone users. I loved it on DS but wanted it on my S3. When it finally came out I bought it immediately. I came to the realization that jrpg's have no place on touchscreen devices. Only grid based rpgs work on a touch screen..

And thus I shall not be purchasing this and I suggest people to look to other versions for their FF6 fix. It seriously isn't fun without an analogue or d-pad to move. I commend anyone who can actually enjoy playing it like that.

cafemomo

Doesn't Sony have majority stakes in FF7?

They also own 6% of Square Enix

Well with final fantasy dimensions alone selling over100.000 copies on google play at 17.99 and the other ff games also selling tens of thousands on android (dunno about ios, but probably even bigger numbers), they'd be crazy not to keep porting their games over. I don't see the big deal, to be honest. I enjoyed playing FF4 on my tablet.

this wouldn't be a big deal if they took the time to make them quality ports.

Top Bottom