• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth: Special TGS Presentation - Open World Exploration, Towns, Mini Games & Hunts

dotnotbot

I've noticed this issue with a quite few Japanese games. The colors in the daytime are often washed out with bad black levels.

It seems to be intentional. Modern western games are often oversaturated with crushed blacks so they're doing exactly the opposite on purpose. Neither looks good.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Sorry, you’re going to get FF 9 and FF 10 remade instead 🤷‍♂️

According to multiple rumors it’s one of the above two, or both, and 8 is being skipped, once again being left as one of the black sheep FF games.
The funny thing is that VIII sold more than IX.

Of course, you could make the argument that VIII was riding on the coattails of VII. And, IX, therefore...

Caio

A00vJOF.gif
How, how, HOW !!!!!!!! can I now wait for PS5 PRO ? HOW HOW HOW ooooo !!!!
Fook ! Damn.

Freeman76

No disrespect to FF16 but this is clearly where the A team went for the last 4 years. This game sounds insane.
FF16 deserves all the disrespect it gets, its not a FF game at all, the fact its a numbered entry is a joke.

On the plus side you are right, at least we have this to look forward to and its clearly where they have pooled a lot of their resources, this looks incredible and within the timeframe they've had to make its an insane achievement from what these trailers are showing.

Nearly sold my PS5 last month, so glad I didnt now

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sorry, you’re going to get FF 9 and FF 10 remade instead 🤷‍♂️

According to multiple rumors it’s one of the above two, or both, and 8 is being skipped, once again being left as one of the black sheep FF games.
Until they actually announced it, anything can happen.
And the FFVIIremake team did actually mention FFVIII Remake would be something they wanted to do.
Also keep in mind when they did FFVII & XI ports, we had FFVIIremake in development.
They did the port of XI but when it came to VIII they stop mid development and decide to remaster it instead.
This would have been around the time they mentioned FFVIII getting a Remake.
So they was obviously messing around with the idea but couldn't commit until FFVIIRemake is done.
I know FFXI will be done first by another team and will be smaller on scale compared to FFVIIremake.
More of Remastered version if anything but completely redone.
But VIII will get the VIIIRemake treatment, but will actually be a Remake rather then a sequel, same with X

Whitecrow

Banned
This game stinks so much to Unreal that is killing my hype, honestly.
I will get it no matter what, but visually speaking, it looks unreal levels of generic.

E-Cat

Tell me you've never played ff7 without telling me you've never played it.
While it's true that it follows the progression and opening up of the original game after Midgar, when we learned that the dev team was dedicating Part 1 entirely to Midgar, that somewhat justifiably raised the expectations that it would perhaps be quasi-open world, 'GTA-lite Midgar'. I mean, what were they doing for all those years crafting this linear corridor romp? In Development Hell, as it turns out.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
that somewhat justifiably raised the expectations that it would perhaps be quasi-open world, 'GTA-lite Midgar'
Who the fuck expected GTA style in FFVIIRemake!? I never expected that out of remake, I NEVER want that.

E-Cat

Who the fuck expected GTA style in FFVIIRemake!? I never expected that out of remake, I NEVER want that.
I'm just saying, there was a lot of cockteasing going on. The open highways, the high-rises, the construction zones, the little coffee shops on cobblestoned streets in the FMVs.

Nankatsu

There are some noticeable pop-in textures in that trailer. I just hope they're not as severe as part 1 at launch, before the fix.

Rather than that looks absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

bbeach123

There are some noticeable pop-in textures in that trailer. I just hope they're not as severe as part 1 at launch, before the fix.

Rather than that looks absolutely amazing.
Yea I prefer the fade-in like ubisoft openworld game (assassin creed) . Feel like there a lot of textures pop-in , trees and obj pop-in , shadows pop-in , grass pop-in .

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm just saying, there was a lot of cockteasing going on. The open highways, the high-rises, the construction zones, the little coffee shops on cobblestoned streets in the FMVs.
If they try make Midgar open world like GTA it would have ruined the game, so I’m glad they didn't do that.

E-Cat

If they try make Midgar open world like GTA it would have ruined the game, so I’m glad they didn't do that.
I mean, they could've retained the linear narrative but have lots of optional explorable areas not essential to the story -- exactly what they're doing with Part 2.

Danjin44

I mean, they could've retained the linear narrative but have lots of optional explorable areas not essential to the story -- exactly what they're doing with Part 2.
Unlike Rebirth, Remake is a PS4 game, there is no way they could make big scale Midgar without turning in to a mess and the game would never come out.

E-Cat

Unlike Rebirth, Remake is a PS4 game, there is no way they could make big scale Midgar without turning in to a mess and the game would never come out.
So your objection isn't based on a fundamental dislike of open world design, but instead on the tech limitations of the PS4 and the implied prolonged development cycle?

Danjin44

So your objection isn't based on a fundamental dislike of open world design, but instead on the tech limitations of the PS4 and the implied prolonged development cycle?
I also believe open world wasn’t the right choice for Remake, I glad they didn’t do that. For Rebirth it make sense because in that part of the story Cloud and others finally got out of very closed and claustrophobic city of Midgar to more open air and natural areas that feels like they can finally breath…..that’s the feeling I got when I played original FFVII.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Wait for Game 3 when we
parachute into midgar. They’ll have a great opportunity to open uo some top plate exploration then, though everything will be in a state of emergency.
Though I have a feeling it will be a linear section again. Emergency, hence no time to explore. It fits the narrative

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Though I have a feeling it will be a linear section again.
Agreed, but they've been going above and beyond on everything so far, so I wouldn't put it past them.

I see 3 possibilities for Midgar going forward:

1. We see it one more time in game 3 for the Parachute seen and thats it
2. We see it for the Parachute scene but we also can sneak back into it in game 3 via the wall key and go explore wallmarket (just like FF7) but nothing more.
3. Both the above + They greatly expand the midgar section to include some free roaming of select sections of the city (all before the sisterray/parachuting, but you'll probably see hints of the construction going on).

I really think it will be 3. I think to fill out game 3 as much as possible we'll have all the standard FF7 stuff + a more explorable midgar with a whole new storyline that makes you go back to it before the Sisterray is complete, and I also think they will add some more islands to the world and greatly expand the submarine underwater exploration (all part 3 of course). Man this is going to be so awesome when all 3 parts are done.

Last edited:
I felt the same way.

The man just semi-broke down mid video/mid stream and started tearing up(along with his voice cracking a bit), due to being overloaded with content that the developers were excited to show. It just goes back to my point from another thread. If anyone can't tell by now he's a super fan of FF7 then I don't know what else will convince you.

Also, honestly it looked like those developers wanted to show even more, but Nomura said no and that they were short for time anyway. That feeling of excitement to show you way more than they should, tells you how much they put into this game creatively and artistically that they really want you to see. It's a great thing to witness.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The man just semi-broke down mid video/mid stream and started tearing up(along with his voice cracking a bit), due to being overloaded with content that the developers were excited to show. It just goes back to my point from another thread. If anyone can't tell by now he's a super fan of FF7 then I don't know what else will convince you.

Also, honestly it looked like those developers wanted to show even more, but Nomura said no and that they were short for time anyway. That feeling of excitement to show you way more than they should, tells you how much they put into this game creatively and artistically that they really want you to see. It's a great thing to witness.
I'm right there with him. FF7 is my all time favorite piece of any fiction/media ever. Seeing the dev give this much special treatment to it, showing the same passion as the most passionate fans, its just incredible. I've never before seen a dev team truly care so much about the IP they are working on. This game has Square's entire A team just cranking, its so amazing to see (and it just makes FF16 look pathetic by comparison)

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Oh wow they did a complete 180, VIIRemake was a very linear game, this looks like it's a proper open-world (or at least open big zone) RPG.

I just worry coming off 16 that “open area” isn’t as it is in that game. Where there’s no reason to explore, no emergent events, and no reward. You go fight a job hunt and teleport out.

I haven’t had time to watch all this but hopefully the zones are packed with things to do and see.

Larxia

ZRXFNK3.jpg
Jesus fuck they have some work to do with the lighting. FF7R had some really awful lighting in the slums too.

I wanted to point this out too. It seems like most people find the game's visual amazing, but I find it quite weird as far as I'm concerned.

The characters do look fantastic, to the point where they almost look like CGI in some scenes. The environments however, and especially everything that's "natural", look very strange.
Everything is a bit too shiny, and the lighting is either bad or weird. It really stand out the most on natural environments, which is probably why this looks more weird than VII Remake to me.

I think it's a mix of both the materials being set up in a strange way, and the lighting giving me a very obvious "Unreal Engine" vibe, which all combines give it a bit of that UE Generic vibe, it lacks identity and everything looks a bit too... Fake? It's a very personnal feeling and I'm not sure how to explain it better.

That screenshot you posted isn't the most flatering, I hope this will be improved, but even the more close up scenes have a weird aspect.
For example, if we compare (compression aside, sorry for the bad quality youtube capture) :
KtHYNcD.jpg

To FF XV :
suSU9Rf.png

I think that FF XV looks a lot better, at least it does a lot in my eyes. The geometry might be better in VII, but the lighting, the environment, everything looks and feel more natural in XV, while VII looks a bit more like... plastic?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I just worry coming off 16 that “open area” isn’t as it is in that game. Where there’s no reason to explore, no emergent events, and no reward. You go fight a job hunt and teleport out.

I haven’t had time to watch all this but hopefully the zones are packed with things to do and see.

Resource gathering, setting up fast travel points, hunting presumably marks, swimming, varying Chocobo abilities/colors/gear/practice tracks/racing. Vehicle travel. Optionable areas and minigames, returning minigames, a card game, abilities and skill trees, hidden and buried treasure, doing quests, doing battle Intel, fighting VR bosses...

I don't think you need to worry much.

Whether each of those items are done well is another story, but there's shit to do, for sure.

I wanted to point this out too. It seems like most people find the game's visual amazing, but I find it quite weird as far as I'm concerned.

The characters do look fantastic, to the point where they almost look like CGI in some scenes. The environments however, and especially everything that's "natural", look very strange.
Everything is a bit too shiny, and the lighting is either bad or weird. It really stand out the most on natural environments, which is probably why this looks more weird than VII Remake to me.

I think it's a mix of both the materials being set up in a strange way, and the lighting giving me a very obvious "Unreal Engine" vibe, which all combines give it a bit of that UE Generic vibe, it lacks identity and everything looks a bit too... Fake? It's a very personnal feeling and I'm not sure how to explain it better.

That screenshot you posted isn't the most flatering, I hope this will be improved, but even the more close up scenes have a weird aspect.
For example, if we compare (compression aside, sorry for the bad quality youtube capture) :

To FF XV :

I think that FF XV looks a lot better, at least it does a lot in my eyes. The geometry might be better in VII, but the lighting, the environment, everything looks and feel more natural in XV, while VII looks a bit more like... plastic?
Would FF16-style color grading fix it/give it more pop?

otjin6qpghla1.png

jp0j46hjqa391.jpg

Lokaum D+

KtHYNcD.jpg

To FF XV :
suSU9Rf.png

16 still looks way better than 15 and 7Re ( at least by that screens )

GZtPTgF.jpg

la3ToAe.jpg

Top Bottom