• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

So I want to do these achievements, but I don't really want to be too spoiled.

What do I have to look out for in terms of missing? Can I miss any party members or their limit achievements?

I know the Aeris spoiler.

Isaccard

So I want to do these achievements, but I don't really want to be too spoiled.

What do I have to look out for in terms of missing? Can I miss any party members or their limit achievements?

I know the Aeris spoiler.

As long as you know how to aquire Vincent and Yuffie, you're good to go. I will say when you do have Yuffie and you gain the ability to travel by shallow water, and you go to a certain town, you'll be stuck for the duration until you complete that little sidequest.

Is there a way to preview the fan made tracks in the Anxious Heart mod before installing them? I can use Foobar to play .ogg files so that's not a problem.

Zukuu

Banned
There are many spoiler free guides afaik. You should play with a guide, since some materias are missable permanently, which means you won't get the color's master materia under any circumstances.

iavi

You should probably look up the answer on Yuffie as her acquisition is not obvious and easily passed up.

tbh, Vincent is as easily passed up. There's subtle hints to him, though. Yuffie is random as all hell.

*Just typing that out makes me see how incommon hidden/extra especially rewarding content in nowadays. Ahh, the glory days of JRPGS.

Grief.exe

Anxious Heart makes the soundtrack so good.

When I first booted up the game I noticed just how horrible the tracks were.

I just have the original soundtrack installed for now. If you install the new ones that he has selected, will it play them after the original sound track?
For example, it will play the original song for an area then, instead of looping, transition to the one he chose?
Not sure if that makes sense or not.

found a spoiler free guide on items, materia, limits, party members: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197341-final-fantasy-vii/faqs/27656

legacyzero

Banned
Agreed. I couldn't last 10 minutes with that horrible music quality. Anxious Heart kicked me right in my Nostalgia Gut.

Yasae

Banned
tbh, Vincent is as easily passed up. There's subtle hints to him, though. Yuffie is random as all hell.

*Just typing that out makes me see how incommon hidden/extra especially rewarding content in nowadays. Ahh, the glory days of JRPGS.
I suppose so. You also have to answer a certain way - but he is found through regular exploration, and he's damn good with deathblow materia.

Grief.exe

Still looking for someone with Tifa's Bootleg downloaded to upload to Google docs for the sake of GAF.

Go down in history like LegacyZero did.

Epix

Can I run the Bootleg mod tool against the steam installation location or do I have to move the files to another location first?

Whogie

Since it seemed Steam wasn't going to discount it, I bought it from Green Man Gaming with their 20% off code on the front page. They just give you a code to active with Steam.

It was cool to see all the achievements flood in from playing last year.

Store pages and the search feature get a little wonky during the Steam sale, give it a bit and it will be back.

Yup, that seems to be the case. You can find it by clicking on RPG genre.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140/

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but are existing mods compatible with the Steam version ? I think the new translation and the menu overhaul should be done by the end of the year, and I am absolutely planning on using them when replaying the game.

fleck0

It took some time and probly 3 reinstalls but I got a selection of Tifa's Bootleg mods I'm pretty happy with. I wanted to up-res things a bit without it looking completely silly.

qtD3xqL.jpg

K0J1fms.jpg

6Sxr7ZN.jpg

ksbLIJt.jpg

Yes I named her that, I know I'm a monster

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not sure it would work well. Haven't checked to see if they have all the songs covered, but some are mashups which would be awkward and the remixes aren't necessarily made with the game in mind, so looping could be an issue.

As far as modding goes though, you can try it yourself. Find where you installed the game, and go to:

FINAL FANTASY VII\data\music_ogg

All the music files are standard ogg. Convert the music you want to use to ogg (should be lots of free software to do this, some media players have it built in). Rename each file to match the corresponding song in the music_ogg file and replace the original with the new one.

If you do try it make sure to back up the original files just in case you need to put them back.

Edit: I see that's already been mentioned. But yeah, looking at it that would only cover half the soundtrack at best. 94 files that have to be replaced and that only has 45 tracks.

neoism

It took some time and probly 3 reinstalls but I got a selection of Tifa's Bootleg mods I'm pretty happy with. I wanted to up-res things a bit without it looking completely silly.

wait I thought you could only mod the music on this steam version so you can change the text windows and textures of the characters as well...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
wait I thought you could only mod the music on this steam version so you can change the text windows and textures of the characters as well...

Tifa's Bootleg converts the game to the original release for mod compatibility. The Steam version by default isn't compatible with anything except music mods.

This means it also removes the ability to get achievements or use the unnecessary boost things. It also means you don't have to use the SE launcher.

Does anyone else have problems with the game kicking them back to the desktop? Does it for me a couple times a day. Doesn't crash, just pops me out to the desktop and I have to click back to it. Real weird and annoying.

TommyT

so only the music is moddable right. not anything else.

Everything is modable.

Now, as I believe mentioned previously as well, modding to a certain point will disable achievements.

edit: I forgot how much easier things can be if you grind the mobs in Junon after pulling the alarm. Two casts of Beta per encounter, an hour or so later, millions of gil and level 45+.

Isaccard

I'm not sure it would work well. Haven't checked to see if they have all the songs covered, but some are mashups which would be awkward and the remixes aren't necessarily made with the game in mind, so looping could be an issue.

As far as modding goes though, you can try it yourself. Find where you installed the game, and go to:

FINAL FANTASY VII\data\music_ogg

All the music files are standard ogg. Convert the music you want to use to ogg (should be lots of free software to do this, some media players have it built in). Rename each file to match the corresponding song in the music_ogg file and replace the original with the new one.

If you do try it make sure to back up the original files just in case you need to put them back.

Edit: I see that's already been mentioned. But yeah, looking at it that would only cover half the soundtrack at best. 94 files that have to be replaced and that only has 45 tracks.

Darn. ):

I'm bummed the cloud saving doesn't work :(
Achievements are properly synced but saves stop at 60% then fail :/

I hope they're working on a fix soon.

TommyT

I'm bummed the cloud saving doesn't work :(
Achievements are properly synced but saves stop at 60% then fail :/

I hope they're working on a fix soon.

I know it's nice to have it automated, but you can manually pass saves yourself with nothing more than e-mail, should that be something you're interested in (I can write a pseudo-tutorial while not at home).

I know it's nice to have it automated, but you can manually pass saves yourself with nothing more than e-mail, should that be something you're interested in (I can write a pseudo-tutorial while not at home).

We can store our saves on their server with only an e-mail? ^^;
At least as a reference, I'd like to know the way if you'd be so kind.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Named her what?

Cystm

I am watching my wife play through this right now. So good.

Also, I made a few Grid View Icons for Steam in the other thread, click the image for more:

Grief.exe

Square is not currently updating the registry app for the Steam version of FFVIII, and haven't updated it for some time.

I have noticed that right when I started noticing FFVII was receiving constant, consistent updates. Both FFVII and FFVIII were both updated, initially, with languages, icon, logo, etc.

So they could have very well prepped both games, then finished off FFVII first with FFVIII to come later.

Isaccard

Square is not currently updating the registry app for the Steam version of FFVIII, and haven't updated it for some time.

I have noticed that right when I started noticing FFVII was receiving constant, consistent updates. Both FFVII and FFVIII were both updated, initially, with languages, icon, logo, etc.

So they could have very well prepped both games, then finished off FFVII first with FFVIII to come later.

Sooner the better

TommyT

We can store our saves on their server with only an e-mail? ^^;
At least as a reference, I'd like to know the way if you'd be so kind.

No, you can email yourself the saves and go from PC to PC ;p.

In the folder located here:
C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\user_2453721
It will contain your save files (note that the number after "user_" might be different) and you can use whatever method you want to get them to another pc. At this point, save them to the desktop or someplace you can easily copy from, like the desktop. Start the FF7 program (not the game, just the loader) then copy the save into the same directory that's in the quote (they'll be the same across pc's). Now just continue loading the game like normal and you'll be able to see your saves.

If you copy before starting the FF7 loader, it will delete your save. This can probably be solved by copied the metadata file, but I haven't experimented enough to know :p.

fleck0

I'm pretty sure Aeris is her default name too. Those Aerith people are delusional. :p

Pretty sure my Brady Strategy guide called her Aeris so it's canon! I mentioned it because there's a checkbox for "script fixes" (separate from the alternate translations) in the mod package that is extremely vague about what it does. There have been a few moments where I'll wonder if a line or phrase was added / changed, but it's been too long for me to know without looking up a full script or something. I assume the changes are mostly typos.

Among those changes is "fixing" her name.

I'm confused. The original PC version was a broken game. Can't be completed on current machines. Did they fix the bugs/report it or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom