• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyT

Has anyone managed to get any old/other saves working? As in, you download a save from someplace and have it work on the Steam version?

Grief.exe

Has anyone managed to get any old/other saves working? As in, you download a save from someplace and have it work on the Steam version?

Yes.

People were able to get their Square Enix saves working, not sure if past FF releases are compatible with the Steam version.

Of course, if they aren't, you can just install Tifa's Bootleg and they will work with that version.

TommyT

Yes.

People were able to get their Square Enix saves working, not sure if past FF releases are compatible with the Steam version.

Of course, if they aren't, you can just install Tifa's Bootleg and they will work with that version.

Hmm interesting. Thanks for the info.

Sami+

So after three reinstalls, I've hit yet another roadblock. I got this glitch here -

The Bootleg guide says it's because of my AMD Catalyst driver, but I'm running 13.4 (the latest one), and it still isn't working. Did I do something wrong?

So after three reinstalls, I've hit yet another roadblock. I got this glitch here -

The Bootleg guide says it's because of my AMD Catalyst driver, but I'm running 13.4 (the latest one), and it still isn't working. Did I do something wrong?

I knew that the cg backgrounds were going to be pixalated but Dayum.

Sorry I dont know how to help.

Sami+

Huh. It seems all I had to do was turn shaders off. That's fine, I guess.

Last thing and I should be all set - does anyone know how to set controller settings in here? I want to play with my Dualshock 3.

Grief.exe

Huh. It seems all I had to do was turn shaders off. That's fine, I guess.

Last thing and I should be all set - does anyone know how to set controller settings in here? I want to play with my Dualshock 3.

Well there was a controller setting in the launcher, but it looks like you have Tifa's Bootleg installed.

Just about done with all the side stuff, then it's time to end this bitch. Haven't played through this game since the PSX version. It is still so fucking awesome. Game is super easy though. Pretty sure I've only lost twice. Sure I'll get a few more losses since I still have
the last two Weapons
to fight.

square needs to remake this game it's getting really hard to tolerate those pixels now

The graphics don't really bother me at all, granted I've been playing a fuck ton of SNES/NES games for the last 10 months, so it is an improvement. It's more like there are certain moments where I just think to myself "this would look fucking awesome with modern graphics."

I think every choice they make along the way of a remake will be a losing situation for them where they are guaranteed to piss some fans off. Realistic graphics or stylized? Same turned based system or modernize it? Keep the story as is or add bullshit from Compilation of Final Fantasy VII? I think a remake would be difficult, and guessing they agree, which is why it hasn't been done.

Man, the battle arena fucks you good sometimes. Level down 5 (twice), no items, MP zero, all materia broken. Lost the very last round. Was still hanging on until I lost my Mime Materia with that last roll.

Grief.exe

I don't think they need to do a full remake.

Fix the upscaler to make clean images at 1080p, clean up the battle models, allow battle models on the world map, clean up the NPCs, record dialogue.
The dialogue would actually probably be the most time consuming and expensive.

Release it for $15-$20 on all platforms.

Sami+

Fix the upscaler to make clean images at 1080p, clean up the battle models, allow battle models on the world map, clean up the NPCs, record dialogue.

Release it for $15-$20 on all platforms.

This would be beautiful.

I'd still want a full remake though, to be honest. Have it run on XV's engine and keep the battle system the same. I'd buy it twice. ♥

Got my game running, in any case. Stuck with keyboard controls because it's stupid, but oh well.

51e9c76aa82a6.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
DRM FF7? Will stick with my PSX disc and digital version. Nice on Vita anyway. Above screenshot looks good though...

Why is the battle arena giving me shit for points suddenly? I was getting like 10,000 per go the first few times. Last two times I'm getting 1,000. Going to take forever to get Omni Slash, and fucking forget about W-Summon.

The graphics don't really bother me at all, granted I've been playing a fuck ton of SNES/NES games for the last 10 months, so it is an improvement. It's more like there are certain moments where I just think to myself "this would look fucking awesome with modern graphics."

I think every choice they make along the way of a remake will be a losing situation for them where they are guaranteed to piss some fans off. Realistic graphics or stylized? Same turned based system or modernize it? Keep the story as is or add bullshit from Compilation of Final Fantasy VII? I think a remake would be difficult, and guessing they agree, which is why it hasn't been done.

I been replaying it lately and I still think a remake would be awesome if only if they don't touch the story with the retcon bullshit. Everything should be left intact other then adding voices and graphical changes. I quite liked the FF7:AC voicecast.

Somebody should get a shader mod working for it. It was glorious for the PSXE.

That looks really great... I mean there's obviously work to be done and it's kinda dirty (unless it's just a bad shot) but I like the idea of that.

Yeah it looked pretty great. I played a playthrough with that shader on ePSXE and there was some inconsistencies, but overall it made FF7 look much more tolerable.

Rashid

Banned
I was just thinking

What if Valve and Square Enix decided to both make Half Life 3 and FFVII Remake, both in Source 2 or something

They announced it on the same day, and they are 100% guaranteed 11/10s

One after the other

Steambox exclusive

The internet would break

flyover

Hell, I don't even want voice acting -- though I agree on all else. Even if they got good VAs, they'd have to rewrite the dialogue to make it sound more like real people talk, and not shorthand written to fit in small text boxes. I just don't trust that SE could do a good job of it.

A retranslation would be okay by me, though. And having the option (not mandatory) for the soundtrack to be orchestral -- or played by some high quality sampled instruments -- might be neat.

I don't need a remake. Just a remastering. Not that that's a trivial task. Even "just updating the graphics" would be a ton of work. But if they did nothing but that and put it on PSN, SE could make a killing (and still leave the door open for a more ambitious remake). Put it on the PS4, and it'd be the first game ever to get me to buy two systems.

I don't see this mentioned but this game is currently a flash sale for the Steam Summer Sale. At 33% off, it's $8.03. Ends in little over 7 hours at the time of my posting.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Haven't played this game in years, but maybe i should with 8$. Hopefully the backgrounds aren't as bad as i remember.

Grief.exe

Haven't played this game in years, but maybe i should with 8$. Hopefully the backgrounds aren't as bad as i remember.

If you install Tifa's Bootleg and revert to the 1998 version of FFVII you can install upscalar mods that clean up the backgrounds.

I own still have my original PS1 copy, and it's part of my secret shame that I never finished this game (damn 3rd party memory card that reformatted itself twice...young me was not bright enough using the same memory card again that already screwed you once was not a good idea).

Anyway, does this steam version look any better than what I could expect from up-resing in an emulator?

Link Man

Banned
PSA:

If you know somebody in Brazil who is willing to get the game for you, you can get it for the equivalent of $6 US. That's 50% off the original price!

Bisnic

If you install Tifa's Bootleg and revert to the 1998 version of FFVII you can install upscalar mods that clean up the backgrounds.

Do i need this upscaler mod for backgrounds? Your OP said that Tifa Bootleg come with it.

fleck0

Do i need this upscaler mod for backgrounds? Your OP said that Tifa Bootleg come with it.

Tifa's bootleg is kind of a compilation/installation tool that by default installs all the mods you'll need, including the music replacement stuff which is in the OP, backgrounds, almost every model in the game, UI stuff and more. It'll include checkboxes and menus for just about every modding option you could want, and you can always choose "leave this aspect alone" for any of them.

in a tab alongside the guide in the OP use this

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13981.0

it's a list of almost all the mods the tool comes with if you download the 17gb torrent. A lot of them are fairly nondescript but some of them have image previews or youtube links that I found helpful in deciding how much I wanted to change things.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can I seriously not reset my account password without going through this One Time Password/authenticator bullshit?

Square, I have zero intentions of playing your shitty MMOs. I've had to go through ten captchas. This is pure stupidity.

Bisnic

Don't know what im doing wrong, but Bootleg.exe just won't work. It keep saying the game files might be damaged. I installed the game on D:\Steam, rather than C:\Program Files\Steam, pointed the folders in the right place, started the file as admin, what am i missing?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think I still have my old ass saves from when I played FF7 in the 90's. Assuming that they are compatible (the file names look the same), would importing those saves ruin my achievements?

Grief.exe

Download the entire mod and it will come with everything, I believe that the upscalar is apart of it.

If not, it will be in the forums that I linked in the OP.

I think I still have my old ass saves from when I played FF7 in the 90's. Assuming that they are compatible (the file names look the same), would importing those saves ruin my achievements?

They should work.

fleck0

Don't know what im doing wrong, but Bootleg.exe just won't work. It keep saying the game files might be damaged. I installed the game on D:\Steam, rather than C:\Program Files\Steam, pointed the folders in the right place, started the file as admin, what am i missing?

You don't need to run bootleg.exe during the modding process, run BFE.exe which is basically the launcher, it configures everything and will run bootleg.exe for you.

Bisnic

You don't need to run bootleg.exe during the modding process, run BFE.exe which is basically the launcher, it configures everything and will run bootleg.exe for you.

I know, but even if i run bootleg through BFE, i get that stupid warning after like 30 secs of preparing "sprinkles".

It also says "Aali's OpenGL driver is missing! Please add the Remix installer or Aali's OpenGL driver to the mod path and retry."

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
They should work.

I can't believe it. They do. I had to paste them in AFTER running the initial launcher... the initial launcher actually wipes them on startup.

Something so simple has made me so happy. I can't believe it. I had tons of saves, each at key points in the story, each trying to attempt certain unique events or things. It's indescribable how much of a nostalgia trip this is, going through saves from over 10 years ago... man.

The only thing is, it appears to wipe my saves every time I re-open the launcher. I don't know if there's a way to force the game to stop doing that, as it's kind of annoying. Also the Cloud Saving is currently unavailable, it says?

Is there an easy way to import all the original music into the game?

Bisnic

I think i'll just reinstall the game tomorrow, if i try to use FF7Config.exe, it says that no registry key can be found... =/

Bought it for the flash sale. I'm not going to mod it though, since the PC version doesn't bother me with it's differences.

Same, it'll be my first time on PC but unmodded is my preferred way to play older games, but I'll wait and see what it looks like in high res compared to the old crt TV that I played it on originally

Bought it and this seems more like the PS1 version up-ported. Which is the better choice in my opinion. Shame about the music, but that's fixable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom