• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake came out a year ago today, and it has reignited my desire for new remakes

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Along with games like RE2 remake, Demon's Souls, Shadow of the Colossus, among other recent ones. But FFVII was always going to be difficult to remake, and seeing how well they did with that it gave me a renewed hope and desire for them.

I've always felt that remakes were a luxury and not a necessity, and replaying the same games over again would get stale. But FFVIIR along with recent others have changed my opinion on that. As long as they're made well(and that's a big if) I'm fully on board any remakes to classic games they wanna throw at us.

I've had more fun revisiting games than I ever expected, and with remakes that good, you both get that sense of nostalgia, but also some new flavor on games you loved.

Give us all the remakes.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is great, but it's name is a lie. It is NOT a remake of FFVII. It's a sequel that takes place during the events of the first part of FFVII with things altered via time travel, alternate universes and other supernatural events.

If FFVII Remake is a remake of FFVII, then the part of Back to the Future 2 where they go back to 1955, is a remake of Back to the Future 1.

Last edited:

Hugare

Final Fantasy VII Remake is great, but it's name is a lie. It is NOT a remake of FFVII. It's a sequel that takes place during the events of the first part of FFVII with things altered via time travel, alternate universes and other supernatural events.

If FFVII Remake is a remake of FFVII, then the part of Back to the Future 2 where they go back to 1955, us a remake of Back to the Future 1.
Could have used spoilers, dude

Yeah, they play with the word "remake" intentionally

I loved what they did. And it really was a remake for 90% of the time.

Chukhopops

Opinions and all but to me FFVIIR was a mediocre game on its own with brain dead gameplay, kingdom hearts tier added characters and pointless extra content.

I still had fun with it but it was merely carried by the strong nostalgia of the original. The Shinra building was dope though.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
*sigh*

This industry deserves to crash.
It won't, but it deserves to.
84604150.jpg

Sounds like you need a break.

Brock2621

FFVIIR is just amazing. Best game of last year. Finally a game that is just plain fun like the old days and not this melodramatic crap Sony tries to pull every year.
Agreed, except for the hyperbolic “Sony makes crap” part 😂

Last edited:

If FFVII Remake is a remake of FFVII, then the part of Back to the Future 2 where they go back to 1955, us a remake of Back to the Future 1.
Dude you can't say one single thing that proves your theory except for the different finale which we still don't know what it means.

Opinions and all but to me FFVIIR was a mediocre game on its own with brain dead gameplay, kingdom hearts tier added characters and pointless extra content.

I still had fun with it but it was merely carried by the strong nostalgia of the original. The Shinra building was dope though.
If you thought that about the gameplay just wait till you play witcher 3, one of the most simple gameplay ever.

MrSarcastic

Banned
See people?. This is an actual gamer. I want Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis, Ridge Racer Type 4, Fatal Frame on VR, Final Fantasy 8 (Squall is dead and Rinoa is Ultimecia to be canon), FF6 with adult graphic, Winning eleven 11 and Ace Combat 4.

Agreed, except for the hyperbolic “Sony makes crap” part 😂
Aren't you tired of all the drama? TLOU, God of War, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Down. When are they gonna make a fun game for once instead of a wanna be movie? That's why I'm eager to play Ratchet, finally something different

Still have yet to play it, but it's the style of remakes that people want when they ask for them. Upping the resolution of a game and modernizing the control scheme and slapping "REMAKE/Remaster" on the box is not what people want. The remaster moniker in general is also terrible, when a Remaster comes out for a console and people start getting giddy about it, I always think, " you are literally buying the same game again that should just work and run better already on the newer hardware you have."

REmake(Resident Evil 1+2), FFVII, Black Mesa, Link's Awakening are what people want when they ask for remakes. Not what most publisher's are putting out with the bare minimum effort.

base

Banned
After Final Fantasy 7 remake I want FF8 remake and parasite eve remake. Keep em coming. Playing FF7 Remake was one of my highlights of the last gen, the music and combat was amazing. Not loved an FF like that since FF10.
Good luck with that ff8 remake. See ya in 2050.

Padded junk. By the time i reached hojos lab i was forcing myself to reach the end. But all IMO. I am glad you enjoyed it TC. If they can release a DLC for RE2 with B scenario and complete the game hell yeah! Also MGS 1&2 remake. The original two.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Man, modern gamers confuse me. We have so many people in the gaming industry from indy to the big boys and you kids just want remakes of 10yr or younger games. Where is wanting innovation and new IPs? Last gen was already horrible for how much of it was remasters and remakes, and this gen is shaping up for even more of this lazy approach to video games...I mean strictly making money.

Yeah dude it rules. Absolutely I was in heaven. I had the PC game when it came out and as a long time fan, it was well worth the wait.
Where is wanting innovation and new IPs?
Probably not in a thread about a remake.

There were VGA remakes of Sierra and LucasArts graphics adventures in the early 90s just a few years after the EGA versions. The first Ultima game came out in 1981 and was remade in 1986.

Remakes have existed forever.

Last edited:

Valt7786

Could have used spoilers, dude

Yeah, they play with the word "remake" intentionally

I loved what they did. And it really was a remake for 90% of the time.
This. It amazes me how, at least after finishing it, people don't see how the word Remake being in the title doesn't mean literally "Remake of FF7" It refers to the actual storyline etc.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This. It amazes me how, at least after finishing it, people don't see how the word Remake being in the title doesn't mean literally "Remake of FF7" It refers to the actual storyline etc.
They should probably stick to titles that make sense. And not some jank similar to Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.

Well yes and no. The game doesn't change much until the very end. If you're right then they should change the story completely in the next chapter which I don't see them doing it.

Valt7786

They should probably stick to titles that make sense. And not some jank similar to Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.
It makes perfect sense. It's just a play on the word that isn't clear until you finish the game. Remake in this case just refers to what Sephiroth is planning to do.
Well yes and no. The game doesn't change much until the very end. If you're right then they should change the story completely in the next chapter which I don't see them doing it.
Probably not now after the backlash it got, Nomura's already been taken off the project from what I remember reading. They'll tread much safer ground from now on I expect.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, going back to play some retro games. At least I don't have to bother with:

- DLC
- Meme games
- Cinematic walking simulators
- Pay to win
- Free to play with ads
- Online only
- Remasters
- "Special Editions"
- Day one patches (and day two patches, and day three patches...)
- Preorder DLC
You're right.

Yeah, going back to play some retro games. At least I don't have to bother with:

- Bad remakes that ruin the original game
- Loot boxes
- SJW agenda and muh diversity and muh politics
- Youtubers
However these are all your choice/opinion. But I've gotten to know your forum personality by now SlimeGooGoo...Old = good, new = bad. You seem to carry it like a chip on your shoulder for every new game announcement. Maybe let that weight go and not care as much, because the train known as the gaming industry won't stop for you. I'm sure there are hundreds of retro games you haven't even touched yet, and you could be playing those, having fun, and then come back here to create a thread and school us about how great one of those obscure games might be. But you'd rather just scoff at everything of today like a senile old man. I can't change your outlook on the industry and you coming into threads to poop on a game, but I can damn sure point it out, disagree with you, and have fun doing so.

- Bad remakes that ruin the original game
- DLC
- Loot boxes
- SJW agenda and muh diversity and muh politics
- Meme games
- Cinematic walking simulators
- Pay to win
- Free to play with ads
- Online only
- Remasters
- "Special Editions"
- Day one patches (and day two patches, and day three patches...)
- Preorder DLC
- Youtubers
Ok boomer

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, was still impressed by Breath of the Wild, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Fire Emblem

Nah, only at the bad games or pretentious stuff. Unfortunately there are a lot of those, so that's why you'll see me scoff today's stuff more often than not

Me too, and we can both have our fun doing so! :pie_sfwth:
200.gif

Lethal01

Probably not now after the backlash it got, Nomura's already been taken off the project from what I remember reading. They'll tread much safer ground from now on I expect.

You got it backwards, it's been made clear that Nomura was the one who was pushing to keep part 1 as faithful to the original as it was. The other guys, who wrote the original story wanted to change things much more. I highly doubt the backlash from what is truly a minority of fans will make them change directions.

Anyway, people many understand what remake means, they just disagree with them going that route and doing a play on the word rather than just a remake.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
See people?. This is an actual gamer. I want Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis, Ridge Racer Type 4, Fatal Frame on VR, Final Fantasy 8 (Squall is dead and Rinoa is Ultimecia to be canon), FF6 with adult graphic, Winning eleven 11 and Ace Combat 4.
Squall is dead is cringe and Ultimecia being Rinoa got rejected by Kitase but he's not Kazushige Nojima so... Also wanting remakes on classics makes you an actual gamer? lmao.

OP just likes consuming products, most remakes that have been released recently were average to mid at best.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I slept on FFVII Remake until it hit PS Plus. Then when I played it I couldn't put it down for a few hours. Barrett was overacted, imo. But I enjoyed it. Need to finish it.

It makes perfect sense. It's just a play on the word that isn't clear until you finish the game. Remake in this case just refers to what Sephiroth is planning to do.

Then the theory about being a remake of the story would be wrong.

Shrap

If it means more games split into parts that may never be completed with abysmal side quests, broken aerial combat, melodramatic nonsensical plotlines with cringeworthy dialogue and padded out game length through a series of corridors then it's a no from me.

Dacon

Banned

The game literally starts fucking up the story from the second Cloud meets Aerith. They couldn't even let Cloud have his first meeting with her without fucking it up with dumbass dementor ghosts and Cloud's banal ethereal stalker.

Last edited:
The game literally starts fucking up the story from the second Cloud meets Aerith. They couldn't even let Cloud have his first meeting with her without fucking it up with dumbass dementor ghosts and Cloud's banal ethereal stalker.
Lol, just for that? Some ghosts? It didn't change anything. Cloud met aerith, he received the flower and parted ways.

Dacon

Banned
Lol, just for that? Some ghosts? It didn't change anything. Cloud met aerith, he received the flower and parted ways.
Different events, different dialogue, different ending.

"No change". Okay guy. The consequences of the changes in that scene literally reverberate throughout the entire story.

Last edited:

NahaNago

It did the opposite for me. It absolutely killed my desire for remakes. 2 out of 3 of my most wanted remakes/continuations were digimon world and ff7r and they were absolutely disappointing to me. Mega man legends is that last game I wanted a remake or remaster for.

SinDelta

Here I have a whole list of games I would like to see remade-

RPG
KOTOR
Jade Empire
Dragon Age Origins

JRPG
Chrono Trigger
Skies of Arcadia
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy VI

RTS
Warcraft 3 (Properly done)
Battle for Middle Earth 1/2
Rise of Nations
Rise of Legends

Side-Scroller
Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Action Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Last edited:

Liar

Banned
Somehow, I feel like most of remakes that people want, like, MGS, Chrono Trigger, Silent Hill, or The Legend of Dragoon will really remain mere wishes by old fans, nothing more.

That FFVIIR was really just a miracle happening when all planets perfectly align in the universe kind of a thing.

Somehow, I feel like most of remakes that people want, like, MGS, Chrono Trigger, Silent Hill, or The Legend of Dragoon will really remain mere wishes by old fans, nothing more.

That FFVIIR was really just a miracle happening when all planets perfectly align in the universe kind of a thing.

People want a Chrono Trigger remake? That game definitely does not need one. It's perfect just how it is.

It does need a port to Switch and consoles.

Top Bottom