• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake "classic mode"

Boss Mog

That' pretty cool I guess. I'll probably try the new action combat though. I hope it'll be challenging.

PS: Is that Tomomi Ogawa in your avatar OP?

Shifty

Guess I'll quote myself from the reveal thread if we're having a dedicated one for classic mode:
Not really sure what to make of Classic mode though- I get the feeling that they wanted the kudos from saying that they've reimplemented the classic battle system, when in reality the new system is nothing like ATB because the core action mechanics are too different for it to work properly.

It almost sounds closer to the FFXIV combat system since it focuses on auto-attacking and the main meaningful player input is special attacks that come up on a cooldown of sorts.

I'm not particularly bothered about it since I love action combat and what they've got looks great, but how cool would it have been if they had it set up so classic mode lined up the characters and enemies on opposite sides of the battlefield and menu-fied all the actions with autofilling ATB bars like the older titles.

Last edited:

Life

This is only good news if the game is actually challenging when set to classic.

At first, I thought that it's just a pause option that freezes combat while you pick an action - but it seems to suggest it's enitrely turn-based. How would that work if the game is originally action based? Hope classic doesn't make the game too easy.

octo

Neo Member
Is it just me or is this really difficult to parse and make sense of?

> Classic Mode will recreate the same style of turn-based gameplay from the original. While the standard mode of play will automatically fill the player’s ATB Gauge as they attack enemies, “in Classic Mode this aspect of gameplay is handled automatically. The player does not need to do anything and the character fights automatically, charging up their ATB Gauge.”

It kinda sounds more like ff12 style to me.

This is only good news if the game is actually challenging when set to classic.

At first, I thought that it's just a pause option that freezes combat while you pick an action - but it seems to suggest it's enitrely turn-based. How would that work if the game is originally action based? Hope classic doesn't make the game too easy.
Final Fantasy games are not designed to be difficult. If you want difficult games, traditionally you just set self enforced restrictions.

If you want a game that kick your ass, Final Fantasy is not it.

Airola

> Classic Mode will recreate the same style of turn-based gameplay from the original. While the standard mode of play will automatically fill the player’s ATB Gauge as they attack enemies, “in Classic Mode this aspect of gameplay is handled automatically. The player does not need to do anything and the character fights automatically, charging up their ATB Gauge.”

My interest towards the game came back but is gone again :messenger_neutral:

xion4360

It looked from the demo to simply play itself until the atb gauge filled and then you select an action...and you can otherwise reposition yourself and block i guess. ..nothing like you would imagine where these combat system would change, it just takes more control out of your hands....why bother with that. Ill play the game myself thanks

Life

Final Fantasy games are not designed to be difficult. If you want difficult games, traditionally you just set self enforced restrictions.

If you want a game that kick your ass, Final Fantasy is not it.

Every FF I have played - I have gotten stuck on a certain boss, especially sidequests, and have had to rethink my strategy, find items, etc etc.
If you spend countless/expensive hours grinding however, then it's possible not to find anything challenging, yes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Also mods for the older titles! I enjoyed FF7 New Threat and have been thoroughly enjoying FF8 Ragnarok. They really help balance those titles to be challenging and encourage strategy over grinding.

I'd be really surprised if this works well in either mode. I feel the entire game needs to be designed around one or the other.

Still, it is interesting and we will see how it works.

Yeah, this sounds like two separate games, and balancing them to play equivalently would be difficult.

An action game lets you dodge and deal damage as quick as you want, while TB usually focuses on damage dealing and healing. Enemy behavior and stats would need to be different for each one.

The original Final Fantasy VII had options for Active, Wait, and Recommended for their ATB system. So it wasn't really turn-based in the traditional sense, not an equal back-and-forth between player and enemies taking turns as it was dependant on the party member's speed/dexterity stat that affected how quickly the ATB gauge filled.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I wonder how many will play classic mode then switch over to modern because of how slow paced classic will feel but not tell anyone they did so.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Classic Mode (done right) is the only way I would ever play this game

Thought I was going to have to wait for the PC version/Mods.....great news but I guess I'm going to have to re-buy a ps4 *sigh*

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hey now I'm slightly interested in your game Squeenix.

KàIRóS

To those wondering how it works, and haven't seen the footage from yesterday:

It's not Turn Based and the ATB doesn't fill automatically, it's literally just a "let the AI take control for you" I don't see anything classic in the mode, the game is clearly designed to be played in real time.

It's not Turn Based and the ATB doesn't fill automatically, it's literally just a "let the AI take control for you" I don't see anything classic in the mode, the game is clearly designed to be played in real time.

Yeah, that mode looks boring as hell. Action all the way.

I've never played FFVII (or the other PS1 FFs) and this has caught my interest. Not that I have anything against TB games, but the action looks fast and cool and has weight to it. I hope it is a sizable chunk of the original and not just Part 1 of 4 like SE said previously it would be.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Oh, they got one thing right.

Now give us classic boobs.

Nevermind, I thought it was too good to be true.

P.S.
Fuck you, nomura.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
OK. This has saved the game for me.

Gonna be playing it now.. Thank you SE!

Oh my gosh, no please don't!

Hype has died again..

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Nice.....

Mother fucker >_<

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Well, fuck you Squeenix!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I respect that most people that play RPGs today wouldn't like the classic gameplay. But selfishly thinking about myself, I don't have to play this game really. I already know the story. If I'm not gonna have fun with the gameplay I don't have any reason to get this game.

But I hope it sells gangbusters because I have a soft spot for SE, and I'm thankful for all the years of enjoyment they gave me.

As much as I like the original turn based (it wouldn't be my favorite game for nothing), I much prefer the new style, it looks much more fun and engaging! (Sorry classic FF7...)

TheContact

“in Classic Mode this aspect of gameplay is handled automatically. The player does not need to do anything and the character fights automatically, charging up their ATB Gauge.”

so I'm not seeing how this is entirely turn based if your character still attacks automatically. it's not like a "wait" mode from ff7, it just means you don't have to hit any attack buttons and can instead focus on menu commands unless i'm misunderstanding it?

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I have no real interest in the new system. I prefer turn based. This would not have affected my getting the game either way but I am glad they added this.

Sweetloaf

So we've waited for this game for years, people then moaned it was action based combat and now we're given a turn based option, people still moan? People are weird.

I suggest for all those wanting the exact same combat system along with the exact same story and the old soundtrack go and play the original.

Top Bottom