• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Gameplay Breakdown (PSX 2015)

Exentryk

A quick breakdown of the combat elements seen in the PSX 2015 trailer.

UI
The UI consists of the command menu on the bottom left. The bottom right has the character name, HP, MP and limit break gauge. There is also another gauge under the character name that the devs are currently calling the ATB gauge. (This name may get changed later).

rFzkgae.jpg

The ATB gauge doesn’t work like it does in older Final Fantasies, where the gauge constantly fills up and you only take action once it fills completely. The way it works here is that it depletes constantly, and only fills up when you attack. When this gauge fills up completely, it turns red (there might be other triggers for turning red as well), and allows the characters to use special attacks. These special attacks do not consume MP.

Gif below shows the ATB gauge depleting before filling up when Cloud attacks:

1449481707-ff7r-gif-atb.gif

Special Attacks:
Once the ATB gauge turns red, special attacks can be used by the character. Some examples can be seen below:

1449481910-ff7r-special-attack-1.gif

1449482147-ff7r-special-attack-2.gif

Party:
The party consists of three members, just like the original game. You can switch between party members.

1449482326-party-switch-1.gif

1449482336-ff7r-special-attack-3.gif

Battles:
Battles are seamless, i.e., no transitions to some combat screen, etc. The combat should mostly flow like Kingdom Hearts fights, but there might be some more elements that add some strategical aspect. The ATB gauge that lets you use special attacks might have more to it. Or there might be another gauge or element that they haven't shared yet.

Overall, it seems like a good system to me currently. I can update this if we get more information. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dark_castle

Based Exentryk.

The gameplay looks promising, and with Nomura on board, I think the combat will at least be solid.

McNum

Are you sure those are combo finishers? That second one with Barret looks a lot like the Big Shot Limit Break to me, which would make Cloud's a new take on Braver or Cross-Slash.

I mean, yes, the Limit gauge is empty, but it's empty in all the footage. It's probably not implemented in the recording build yet. Or the UI is a mockup.

I hope the balance makes it difficult to just spam the regular attack to victory, and requires the use of special attacks, magic, limit breaks etc. Based on the way the ATB increases by attacking that would seem to be the flow they are going for, but it does all come down to the balance.

Exentryk

I hope you can mash in this.

Edit: Like for real mash. Not the faux-rhythmic shit in XV.

Even tho the UI might be just plastered on, you can see the Attack button flash in blue color when the player attacks. This suggests to me that the player can mash like Kingdom Hearts.

Are you sure those are combo finishers? That second one with Barret looks a lot like the Big Shot Limit Break to me, which would make Cloud's a new take on Braver or Cross-Slash.

I mean, yes, the Limit gauge is empty, but it's empty in all the footage. It's probably not implemented in the recording build yet. Or the UI is a mockup.

Those aren't combo finishers. They are special attacks that occur when your ATB gauge is red. Limit attacks are not seen in this trailer. That bar is empty in all the scenes. We don't know what makes that bar fill up.

Is there something which would prevent from attacking constantly? For example, a "counter-ATB" that must be full in order to attack and depletes as attacks and other abilities are triggered?

Exentryk

Is there something which would prevent from attacking constantly? For example, a "counter-ATB" that must be full in order to attack and depletes as attacks and other abilities are triggered?

There isn't. At least in this current information.

Famassu

WIth the way they describe the system as real-time but not quite as actiony a system as something like Kingdom Hearts, I'm thinking this might feel like a more flashy, fast-paced version of FFXII in the end. I could see them making attacking semi-automatic (you might have to have some input) and then you can include magic & other more special moves into it.

The special gauge seems to be something that encourages people to be on the offensive, to get as many powerful special moves in as possible. If you're too careful then it seems to deplete quite quickly.

This looks SO good! I was really disappointed when FF XV turned into 'hold A for awesome' so I hope they don't turn this into something similar after the fan complaining this isn't turn based or 'strategic enough'.

jiggles

Banned
I think it's a limit (combo) gauge, not an ATB one.

I mean, this is clearly Braver:

And this is clearly Big Shot:

This is probably Climhazzard:

All the gold sparks at the start of the attacks is the limit glow:
45rsy.jpg

Hmm not sure how I feel about this... It's cool to see their thoughts on the current combat system (I wouldn't doubt we'll see changes to it, this game is almost certainly a 2017 game at earliest) but it doesn't feel very FF7ish.

I'm all for updating the mechanics, but this is less updating and more completely replacing. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic.

I mean, this is clearly Braver:

And this is clearly Big Shot:

This is probably Climhazzard:

45rsy.jpg

ATB guage comes from the developer interview... They aren't limits, you can clearly see the limit bar in the pictures. You can clearly see those are not limit breaks.

Olli128

45rsy.jpg

This, they almost certainly just turned on unlimited limit breaks so they could get some nice footage of them.

Piers

Thanks for the write up there, interesting to see since the gameplay segments go by so quickly.
I wonder if Barret would control in a semi-TPS? Or maybe that big-shot angle was purely cinematic?

elixia

combat looks solid. so freaking awesome. and dat glorious weapon particles *-* it's like fireworks everywhere

i also agree with jiggles. that was clearly braver and big shot. not too sure about the climhazzard tho.

jiggles

Banned
you can clearly see the limit bar in the pictures.

*squints*

Oh, yeah.

I'm still convinced they're Limits, though. Too much about them fits. Perhaps the ATB gauge is a cooldown so you can't do normal attacks if you fill it (in order to stop you mashing forever)?

*squints*

Oh, yeah.

I'm still convinced they're Limits, though. Too much about them fits. Perhaps the ATB gauge is a cooldown so you can't do normal attacks if you fill it (in order to stop you mashing forever)?

it's possible they repurpose those old limit break move to just special attack and the limit break in remake will be totally new.

artsi

Looks like I was right after all that it's the ATB gauge, even if it doesn't work like it exactly.

Squire

Banned
This looks SO good! I was really disappointed when FF XV turned into 'hold A for awesome' so I hope they don't turn this into something similar after the fan complaining this isn't turn based or 'strategic enough'.

The irony of asserting that is that any good action/character action game is strategic. Kingdom Hearts is strategic. The world means more than carefully selecting options in a menu screen, as much I do enjoy that, too.

raven777

Yea Nomura said the tempo of the battle will be similar to Dissidia, but it is not as "actiony" as Dissidia or Kingdom Hearts.

Exentryk

The term that the devs are using is ATB gauge, even tho it doesn't function anything like an ATB gauge we know. So changing it to something like a Special Attack gauge, etc, most likely will happen. The limit break on the other hand might be more super special attacks that use the completely separate LIMIT gauge. At least that is what it looks like for now. The attacks you mentioned are repurposed to special attack in this one.

The ATB gauge is there, but it’s not the type where you wait for it to fill up and then attack. Instead, it’s its own system that lends to the action of this game. Its name might also be changed. Nomura says you should pay particular attention to when the gauge turns red.

You see I would be fine with a KH menu system... if all the inputs were placed on the bumpers as opposed to the D-Pad à la Crisis Core. Both are fundimentally similar, it's just that the KH method is by far the most cumbersome and uncomfortable.

Judging by this quote from the translated interviews:
We are trying to make a new action combat system that definitely demand no action technique, and let you consider your strategy during the combat.
I'm getting the feeling that the game will give you the option to move around in battles, but isn't necessary or is infrequently needed. (Hopefully this'll be the case, as fumbling around moving my thumb between the analog stick and D-Pad quickly is awkward)

I'm being cautiously optimistic for now, the team seems to be doing some risky design decisions that make or break the game for me.

Exentryk

You see I would be fine with a KH menu system... if all the inputs were placed on the bumpers as opposed to the D-Pad à la Crisis Core. Both are fundimentally similar, it's just that the KH method is by far the most cumbersome and uncomfortable.

Judging by this quote from the translated interviews:

I'm getting the feeling that the game will give you the option to move around in battles, but isn't necessary or is infrequently needed. (Hopefully this'll be the case, as fumbling around moving my thumb between the analog stick and D-Pad quickly is awkward)

I'm being cautiously optimistic for now, the team seems to be doing some risky design decisions that make or break the game for me.

As much as I like KH combat, the command menu isn't the best thing about it. Having some commands mapped to buttons (attack, dodge, magic, some quick items), while leaving other items and summons to the menu would be my ideal system. You CAN do a bit of that in KH as it has shortcut methods.

I am also cautiously optimistic for now. I got burned bad with Versus XIII, so I am being wary now. Let's see how it turns out.

Awesome post, OP! Can't wait for the next episodic post to continue the excitement!

Lol.

Is anyone a little bummed that they are sticking to 3 character parties? I was hoping for a bump up to at least 4. Having so many iconic characters but only getting to use a third of them at any one time is disappointing.

Maybe I can hold out hope that 3 party members is only for part 1.

Exentryk

Is anyone a little bummed that they are sticking to 3 character parties? I was hoping for a bump up to at least 4. Having so many iconic characters but only getting to use a third of them at any one time is disappointing.

Maybe I can hold out hope that 3 party members is only for part 1.

Action systems are always so busy that even 3 party members might be too much. I don't mind 3 member parties even in turn based combat though.

Turin

Banned
I'm just happy for character switching in combat.

We'll get to prowl around as Red XIII or spray bullets around as Barret as well as getting to kick ass with Cloud.

Nozem

*squints*

Oh, yeah.

I agree, those gifs are definitely the limit breaks you mentioned. My guess is they just used these animations as placeholder for the ATB gauge actions, and they will be limit breaks in the final game.

since the game will be more action now, I hope we can combo some of your move with your party member like in FF 13 or Tales game.

I have to say I really like the look of this. Looks like a solid mix of classic Final Fantasy and character action gameplay. Now if only we could get a similar treatment for FFVI or Chrono Trigger.

Top Bottom