• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series

Then dont make the game. Seriously.

If they are incapable of delivering the experience that fans want dont make it. Leave it alone.

Anything else is just a blatant cash grab for your wallets.

I can't agree with that at all.

I'll take an episodic remake of FF7 then no remake at all.

And if other fans of FF7 don't want a remake to exist due to that, then I simply don't see eye to eye with them.

People who keep posting The Witcher 3 are fooling themselves if they think it's anywhere near the number of unique assets this is going to take to make. The Witcher 3 mostly takes place in the wilderness where shrubbery, trees and grass is copied and pasted repeatedly to make the world large.

I really don't think people remember FF7... there's an absurd amount of different areas, towns and locations to visit that are all different in theme, textures and materials. This is a significantly crazier undertaking, but I have to imagine the budget is also significantly higher.

Yeah, Witcher 3 (and most modern AAA RPG/open world games, really) takes place in a single, fairly homogenous region of a world, so the style of buildings, peoples' clothing, et al doesn't change too much from place to place, allowing for a lot of asset recycling that doesn't come off as asset recycling because it just makes sense for things to work that way. FFVII, on the other hand, takes place across a whole world with large variances in environment and culture. All the assets you slaved away making to build the Midgar slums do jack shit for you when making Wutai or the Gold Saucer or even Kalm.

Steel

Banned
None of that is comparable. A remaster is a fucking port where they redo the textures. People will pay again for it, sure, but the actual sales are nowhere near a lot of AAA titles. That's fine, though, because the budget for a remaster is low. The budget for this thing would be as big as XV, if not more (well probably not more considering how damned long they had that in development). They're not treading ground they've already tread, man. They're remaking a game everyone has already played and NEED it to sell in the upper echelons of AAA sales in order to make that money back. That's not a place many developers have gone yet. The closest thing to that I can think of was the Resident Evil Remake, and while I'm sure that did pretty damned well, it wasn't exactly lighting up the charts.

Completely comparable. Minimum effort retreads of mediocre to great games that are 1-3 years old have been selling reasonably well. A full remake of Square Enix's best selling game of all time is almost guranteed to sell gangbusters in comparison, or at least reasonably well.

Furthermore, they don't need to spend time designing characters, writing a story, coming up with scenarios, etc. as they're all already laid out, so it won't have the budget of an original game and is extremely unlikely to have the development hell of FF XV. FF XV is easily a much bigger risk, and even that isn't that big of a risk as it checkboxes all the modern AAA details like straight-forward cinmatic action combat, an expansive open world, etc. Hell, FF XIII was a bigger risk than both with the drastic shift in gameplay mechanics and the massively linear world. Hell, FF XI was an even bigger risk than that.

Again, it's absolutely insane to suggest that this is anywhere close to the riskiest project that Square Enix has ever taken on.

So this is Verendus' post from a year ago.

This too. We don't even really have details about anything.

One thing I do agree with is that the game is as safe a bet as anything they've worked on in a while, which to me means that like the stuff shown in this trailer this will be getting plenty of budget.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The two users with Geralt avatars are arguing over what The Witcher 3 means in relation to this game and it's really screwing with my tired mind.

Good. That is the only way this won't take 20 years. There's was no way they had everything ready for release next year unless it's been in development since forever. I hope at least it's we get the whole first disc in the first episode.

Edit: I'm assuming this won't be episodic in the likes RE revelation 2 which is a normal game split up into pieces. In the case of FFVII it would literally have to be a 3 game series, with each game being a full price release. That's what I think they mean. People don't realize that the original FFVII had so much content because you where basically playing the storyboard of the game they're trying to make today. Motion capture, voice acting, full 3d environments interactive environments are all really expensive and time consuming things that they didn't have to do back then but they have to do now.

kswiston

People are trying to make CDPR seem like a small indie venture. Witcher 3's in-house staff was close to 250 people and they outsourced various things to hundreds of more people over the 3.5 year development period.

How big do people think S-E development teams are?

grimmiq

Wha? It was ~1.36gb.

Maybe confused with the HD version (4.2GB).

I disagree with the Witcher comparisons. Novigrad would only add up to be about the size of the Shinra HQ interior. Witcher 3's open world does compare to FFVII's overworld as for the most part it's empty. Sure there are nice trees and grass, but ride for 30secs and find a group of 6 drowners would roughly equal running for 30secs and getting a random battle.

Think I'm ok with this...better this way than no way. Focus enough on each storyline and use it to expand the existing narrative...let us see where this goes.

I can't agree with that at all.

I'll take an episodic remake of FF7 then no remake at all.

And if other fans of FF7 don't want a remake to exist due to that, then I simply don't see eye to eye with them.

How will an episodic game work with FFVII mechanics. How?

It will not be the game you want, unless you are wanting a linear cliffnotes experience.

Unless of course we are talking a trilogy of massive scale games.

jony_m

Call me an apologist, but I don't really mind. If this is the only way ($$$) they can commit a full remake vs. a streamlined, lite experience then so be it...

3 parts, 1 per original disc

It also means they may be able release p1 it in our lifetime.

GavinGT

Banned
People are trying to make CDPR seem like a small indie venture. Witcher 3's in-house staff was close to 250 people and they outsourced various things to hundreds of more people over the 3.5 year development period.

How big do people think S-E development teams are?

Popular belief/rumor is that this game is outsourced.

It will not be the game you want, unless you are wanting a linear cliffnotes experience.

Hey, I totally think it's a valid concern as to how SE will pull off back-tracking and the like but I'm not going to write off the remake before any concrete details come out.

fertygo

If Each part is massive, I really question why need to be angry

FFVII is 100+ hour game

Say they split it into 3 60$ release and I got 100+ hour gameplay promise in modern prod value

I don't have any reason to mad

dmr87

My knee-jerk reaction: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

But, if this is the only way to get everything that there are in FF7 then so be it. Just don't fuck it up.

injurai

Banned
Maybe that's something SE should've considered before anniuncing a game they hadn't even started working on yet.

Cyberpunk 2077 lol

Then dont make the game. Seriously.

If they are incapable of delivering the experience that fans want dont make it. Leave it alone.

Anything else is just a blatant cash grab for your wallets.

Working on FFXV and with UE4 for KH3 has seemingly presented them with the possiblity to make a remake that could possibly be worthy. Which is to note, they thought everything they could have done prior was not worth it. They said they are getting older, and now with the PS4 the chance to make console rpgs are returning. Hence all the new big console rpg titles we are seeing.

They are striking because this is the market to do it. It's not merely a cash grab to make a game in the style that they are doing. It's certainly not a cash grab to make multiple full length games as the realization of a remake project.

The amount of misinformation and inane analogies are just plain staggering.

TrounceX

I laughed hysterically for like a minute after seeing the thread title and then Hashimoto ultima troll gif. In kind of a scary, maniacal kind of way actually. I'm so frustrated, yet not really surprised, yet still surprisingly disappointed. It's complicated. Fuck you, SE. Not like this.

Ray Down

Banned
If Each part is massive, I really question why need to be angry

FFVII is 100+ hour game

Say they split it into 3 60$ release and I got 100+ hour gameplay promise in modern prod value

I don't have any reason to mad

Alot of it is due to lack of any real info, just a vague comment.

According to Kagari info is coming and interviews too hopefully it helps clear the situation.

I'm going to hope this was some compromise with Nomura on the scale of the game to keep him from defecting to Atlus or Compile Heart.

It seemed like he was removed from XV at least partially due to his refusal to downsize the project, so I'm going to try and have faith AGAIN.

Hey, I totally think it's a valid concern as to how SE will pull off back-tracking and the like but I'm not going to write off the remake before any concrete details come out.

Im not going to write it off either if these are legit games and not "episodes"

Making a series of games and fleshing them out even more could even be superior to the original experience.

But SE need to come out and say what exactly is going down here

In any case: without pricing, without actually knowing the content, and without knowing how this thing is going to play, i can't be outraged like the others because I don't have much ground to stand on. But as a decision, while I don't agree with it from a gamer perspective, I can certainly understand from a dev one. Even though we can agree that SE can take part of the blame at least because of their terrible previous performance that put them in a tight spot to begin with

Yeah, see this is why I'm so uneasy.

I couldn't care less how the game was divvied-up, so long as when put all together they became a full faithful remake, and so long as each episode takes the segment or portion that it's covering and totally encapsulates all of it.

Like you said, given their past performance (and just how the industry treats things like DLC collectively) I can't help but be at least a little weary.

We'll have to wait and see, but man this isn't exciting news.

Also, I'm with you about not caring if it's ATB or full action. Realistically, and given how this game is trying to appeal to more than just niche JRPG fans, I think it has to be more action oriented battle wise and not focused on ATB, and turn based menus. Especially since they keep saying that they wanna recreate the battles from Advent Children.

Should this really be called a remake? It doesn't look like it will play anything like the original. More like a reboot? Maybe? Am I getting these terms mixed up?

I could see it in larger slices. Or you could still do the map but it's not like in the original you got all towns and all areas at once. You had barriers until the next vehicle showed up. You could piece it together that way

This isn't exciting news outside the fact we should get parts of it sooner than waiting for the whole game. But if need to know more I get too worked up

Im not going to write it off either if these are legit games and not "episodes"

Making a series of games and fleshing them out even more could even be superior to the original experience.

But SE need to come out and say what exactly is going down here

I agree completely.

Kelia

It would be one thing if it was multiple discs and you got all of them at release, like with the original game. If they are plan on releasing all the discs at separate times, then fuck that.

E-Cat

RcAXeNk.png

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I always thought they gonna split it, no surprised or angry at all.
tumblr_nx8uv0LPbM1uh4ocvo1_250.gif

For reals? I've played plenty of MMO's. You mind telling me how many MMO's are successful that operate as one-time $60 purchase rather then an initial purchase and then monthly subscriptions?

Guild Wars?

Like, the giant open world with lots of cities and towns and NPCs isn't just "not hard", it's actually become a standard, maybe even to the detriment of variety in the AAA space.

And to be real, FF7 wasn't even really that huge in that way. It was one big city and a some decently sized towns, plus an overworld map. To act like this is somehow out of the reach of a AAA publisher in 2015 is insane.

I'm not sure how I feel about this; on one hand this means it'll probably be released earlier, and on the other hand I'm not a big fan of playing the game in separate parts. Hopefully it's at least priced fairly.

AzureFlame

I'm actually ok with this, i don't want 1 rushed game with alot of things removed, if you guys don't want to buy 2 or 3 games wait 6+ years to get the complete thing :p.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess this sort of makes sense, now that I think about it.

Didn't they also say at one point FFXV would end up as multiple games, or am I misremembering?

episodic really only works for telltale/ life is strange type games....

games like ff7 remae, with its constant action of what we seen in the trailer is something not cut out for that type of format

Ray Down

Banned
I understand the need to release this in parts. My hope is that each part is consistent.

With the way they are doing and with Nomura, Kitase and Nojima Being big people in the original game (even more involved then Sakaguchi) on the game I think they will hopefully.

Vern said this whole thing is basically a new Final Fantasy project with the original FF7 game being rexamined, looked at.

Top Bottom