• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Hahaha, Square Enix NEVER CHANGE!
ggradiant.gif

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 6, 2015) - During this past weekend’s PlayStation Experience in San Francisco, SQUARE ENIX® debuted a new trailer for FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE, the full remake of the award-winning role-playing game, FINAL FANTASY VII. The new trailer features the first CG scenes as well as gameplay footage. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

EACH PROVIDING IT'S OWN UNIQUE EXPERIENCE

So, maybe the fucking gameplay will change for each new episode. I'm out.

Correction: Episode 1 is most of Midgar as an ARPG . Episode 2 is a racing game (Cloud on the bike)

Episode 3 will be the Kalm flashback as a visual novel.

guys what if they are just making each episode correlate to the original discs from the ps1 release?

they fucking arent because that is too fucking smart for modern square

this is a worse kick to thenuts then hashimoto's troll last year

How many more times can this gif have different meanings?

1) FF7 for PS4 as a PC port release, crushing hopes of those wanting FF7 Remake
2) FF7 Remake was in the works during the FF7 PS4 announcement, surprising everyone
3) FF7 Remake is to be episodic, rather than a single game
4) ???
5)Genesis to have a role in FF7R

KingBroly

Banned
Season one (Midgar) - 40$

Episode 1 - Midgar first half

Episode 2 - Midgar second half

Season 2 - 80$

Contains 5 episodes

Etc Etc

Look deep into your heart, you know it's true. Their gonna milk this shit dry.

10 years of Final Fantasy 7 Remake?

RK128

The ONLY way people aren't going to get upset over this news if they plain out releasing the game like this:
-Episode I Releases June 2016 (Right After Sony's E3 2016 Conference; Get this TODAY!)
-Episode II Releases November 2016; comes with early copies of FFXV
-Episode III Releases March 2017
-Episode IV Releases July 2017
-Episode V Releases November 2017
-Complete Collection releases in December 2017; Comes with all the episodes, the PC port of FFVII, Crisis Core HD and Advent Children

Explain that "The world of FFVII is massive and we want to cover it all, but we don't have the time to release it all at once. We do not want to keep you waiting for the game, so we are going to release the game in episodes, starting with Episode I: Midgar. Each Episode lasts 10-20 hours with Story content, side-quests to complete, and a large hub world to explore. We want FFVII Remake to be special, so to ensure that, we hope to use this episodic format to get feedback from you, the fans and incorporate that into future episodes. People who get Early Copies of FFXV get Episode II for free and Episode I releases today (after Sony's show). Enjoy the game everyone.

Elixist

im wondering, if it'll be like the hobbit now. a fun adventure in one book, but try to cash out on it with rollercoaster goblin battles and shitty cliffhangers, ultimately ending up with trash.

Own unique experience? God I hope it isn't changes in gameplay each time, and really hope this doesn't mean they are cutting out the world map and such and just guiding you along.

FHIZ

Yeah, seems pretty clear they're trying get something on sale as fast as they can, but man... not what people expected, that's for damn sure.

2) FF7 Remake was in the works during the FF7 PS4 announcement, surprising everyone
4) ???

4) All of these is just a joke, quit dreaming, kthxbai.

Yeah, my hype just completely vanished. HOLY SHIT, WHAT THE FUCK

Yep. This game went from the greatest fucking thing ever, to WTF!? instantly.

I just absolutely can't see this turning out well. The only way I'll be happy is if when it's all done you can play it from start to finish without it being disjointed or with original scenes missing or condensed in some weird way. The whole "with each entry providing its own unique experience." makes me think this isn't happening.

Monthly installments I could live with, but realistically, I don't see Square being able to keep that pace. Guess that would also cut out the world map.

Best case 3 episodes, one for each disc and a world map!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I really don't mind however much it costs, but my fear is that cutting it up into episodes will needlessly disjoint the experience, make it digital only until all the episodes are out, and prolong development overall.

4) ???

FF7 Remake contracted out to Iron Galaxy.

ArjanN

Wow.

Fucking dumb.

Nah it's actually pretty smart.

People forget how much content FFVII had, recreating all that at this level of fidelity will take forever.

Going episodic makes it way less likely for the game to get stuck in development hell for like another 6 years.

For the structure of the game it means nothing as the original was already divided into linear parts anyway.

『Inaba Resident』;188194445 said:
We barely have any details.
This thread is embarrassing

Nah, it's a big enough detail that it implies a whole lot about how the game will be designed and structured. It's a remake of a beloved game being handled VERY differently than the original, first in terms of gameplay and now in terms of base narrative structure, world design, etc.

We don't know everything by any stretch of the imagination, but people have every right to react warily to this.

Z3M0G

I KNEW IT!!!

As i was playing through the first few hours of VII again, i watched the Remake footage... and i realized that the Remake would end after the Shinra building... the level of detail they are taking it to is far too great... they are stretching things out within just thr first few moments of the game!

Then it hit me... the credits will roll after the Shinra building. And we will then need to wait for a sequal.

Be careful what you wish for, people... Sony is smart. They will chop this up into 5+ games and we will eat it up.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with episodic game delivery, but this is clearly going to ruffle feathers if it's not done precisely right. Like buying all episodes costs the same as a single game or something. Well that hype train is about to come to a screeching halt.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm playing through Life is Strange right now and that too is episodic, and put out by Square-Enix. So, logically, FFVIIR will be amazing, right?

That's how things work, if I'm not mistaken.

I have no idea how this is going to play out, but the idea of 'episodic' doesn't inspire much hope.

This format could essentially eliminate the Overworld though. Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen.

Top Bottom