• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

McCheese

day 2, and 15 hours in now.

So far I think this is on a 10/10 trajectory.

The game has its lows, the first visit to Midgar slums when the sublime visuals you've become accustomed to suddenly take a nose-dive, and some of the new content consisting of doing MMO quests for annoying children characters, plus I worry the story changes could be over convoluted for folks who are new to the series.

But, that's basically it for negatives - everything else they've just smashed it out of the park with and I'm just left there with a massive grin on my face, stunned that Square-Enix pulled this off.

This combat system should be the new standard going forward, it takes the stuff I like about action-RPGs such as fun combat, dodging/parrying, different play styles (for each character), and mixes that with all stuff I liked about the older systems, the materia system, upgrade paths for my weapons etc. It's perfect.

The linear(ish) story also means the balancing is spot-on, almost every boss I've beaten by the skin of my teeth with my heart pumping out my chest. Nothing feels boring because it's too easy, and if something is a bit too hard the answer is to 'get gud' with blocking/dodging and smarter use of elemental damage. I've not been forced to grind to level up at all yet.

The music, oh boy the music. The sound mix is a bit all over the place so it's easy for it to get drowned out (until they patch it) but the new tunes and remixes are perfect, and all the old stuff is in there, including a ton of the music that shouldn't be in "Part 1".

For folks who've played the original, the music is a fucking gut punch right "in the feels" - when it stirs up at certain points, I'm 16 again and experiencing it for the first time. Honestly, the flood of emotion the music can invoke is almost too much at times. I guess this is just as much praise for the original, as it is for the remake.

Story-wise, this is just flat out better than FF7. so many new interactions that really help flesh things out and pretty much all of it feels right. These are the same characters I loved as a kid, but the story is a bit more grown-up, the characters are more nuanced, and the dialogue is meatier. The new areas are also just fantastic, the "worker" area you visit with Jessie is just gorgeous and I'm so glad I'm getting to see more of Midgar.

TLDR; it's fucking great isn't it?

Last edited:

John Day

UUuQsOK.jpg
Playing a bit more, and the lightning is awesome in Wall Market. Such a lively place.

PanzerAzel

Protip: with R2 you can basically pause the battle at any time, allowint you to view hp/mp and decide on next steps, give it a try!
I can also pause the game with the command menu, which I’ve already addressed. It changes nothing. That pausing is an option is indicative of how counter intuitive this system really is.

Lethal01

They're combining two different systems antithetical to one another. One that's twitch based opposed to a more tactical and measured approach.

They are demanding attention be paid to attacking, evading, and blocking, identifying and attacking weak spots, what each enemy is doing at any given time, paying attention to HP/MP management of not only yourself but that of your allies, and menu management and respective skill utilization that can vary for enemy to enemy. It's a lot to place on the player's plate under pressure, and yes, the game pauses to consider this when ATBs fill and the command menu is called up, which just goes to show to me how incompatible these system they've tried to combine really are. When the devs shoulder me with action game considerations in the heat of the moment in battles with many enemies and variables to consider, it can be trying to keep track of them all to their most effective and efficient implementations. Is it workable? Yes, but I don't think it's enjoyable, nor lends itself to the fullest potential of what adhering to a true turn-based system could afford.

Classic mitigates the aforementioned somewhat by lifting the superficial actiony nature of the game out of the player's hands which I appreciate, but there's still issues apparent after some play put in. Not to mention the default to easy difficulty, the AI leaves something greatly to be desired not only in how it conducts the player's character in a dynamic situation, but especially that of the NPCs whose ATBs take forever to fill unless you switch to them and take over......which defeats the entire purpose of being in Classic to begin with. What they should've done if they insisted upon this direction was to allow the player some nuance and micromanagement in how the AI controlled NPCs during battle, and re-balanced the ATB so that equal opportunity could be afforded to each character regardless of who is hammering the attack button at any given moment.

To be perfectly honest, this is one of the poorest battle systems I've seen in a game. It's unbalanced, it's chaotic, and I always feel like every time I triumph, it's never due to a measured or skillful execution of tactics on my part but one of brute forcing my way through it, and one further that I could've accomplished alone, aided by potions and spells.

I really respect how nicely you explained your stance on this and it's fun seeing your perspective.

But due to the simple fact that I find managing all this often too easy and always very fun makes me disagree with all of it.
It blows most other rpg battle systems out of the water.

Boneless

There were so many ways they couldve botched chapter 9, but they were brave, took what they had and went above and beyond with it. It's simply perfection.

PanzerAzel

I really respect how nicely you explained your stance on this and it's fun seeing your perspective.

But due to the simple fact that I find managing all this often too easy and always very fun makes me disagree with all of it.
It blows most other rpg battle systems out of the water.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm sure that part of my argument stems from this old geezer's reflexes not being what they used to be, but also think there's a large element of truth to it objectively. It wouldn't bother me so much if 1) the ATB gauge acted independent of player action, hence allowing for more equal opportunity for the characters the player wasn't actively engaging with, and 2) as stated, the NPC AI could be tweaked or preferences set. Tying the ATB to action is my main gripe.

I just see an incredible opportunity for a great turn-based system here, and one that wouldn't necessitate a delineation between exploration and engagement as the original utilized. Just because that system is old doesn't mean it's necessarily antiquated. It could be brought into the modern era very well and I don't think it'd limit the audience whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

RPGCrazied

Does the later chapters get longer? Because I'm in chapter 7 with 9 hours. Don't think I'm rushing. I mostly walk not run. I talk to everyone and have done every side quest so far.

Last edited:

chitzy

Banned
They're combining two different systems antithetical to one another. One that's twitch based opposed to a more tactical and measured approach.

They are demanding attention be paid to attacking, evading, and blocking, identifying and attacking weak spots, what each enemy is doing at any given time, paying attention to HP/MP management of not only yourself but that of your allies, and menu management and respective skill utilization that can vary for enemy to enemy. It's a lot to place on the player's plate under pressure, and yes, the game pauses to consider this when ATBs fill and the command menu is called up, which just goes to show to me how incompatible these system they've tried to combine really are. When the devs shoulder me with action game considerations in the heat of the moment in battles with many enemies and variables to consider, it can be trying to keep track of them all to their most effective and efficient implementations. Is it workable? Yes, but I don't think it's enjoyable, nor lends itself to the fullest potential of what adhering to a true turn-based system could afford.

Classic mitigates the aforementioned somewhat by lifting the superficial actiony nature of the game out of the player's hands which I appreciate, but there's still issues apparent after some play put in. Not to mention the default to easy difficulty, the AI leaves something greatly to be desired not only in how it conducts the player's character in a dynamic situation, but especially that of the NPCs whose ATBs take forever to fill unless you switch to them and take over......which defeats the entire purpose of being in Classic to begin with. What they should've done if they insisted upon this direction was to allow the player some nuance and micromanagement in how the AI controlled NPCs during battle, and re-balanced the ATB so that equal opportunity could be afforded to each character regardless of who is hammering the attack button at any given moment.

To be perfectly honest, this is one of the poorest battle systems I've seen in a game. It's unbalanced, it's chaotic, and I always feel like every time I triumph, it's never due to a measured or skillful execution of tactics on my part but one of brute forcing my way through it, and one further that I could've accomplished alone, aided by potions and spells.
I agree completely. The battle system is a mess of ability spam and is tedious to operate. The game's camera sure doesn't make things any easier.

chitzy

Banned
I'm at the part with Aerith in the sector 5 slum and the game is really starting to drag. The sequence of walking with Aeris from the church to the slum was absolutely miserable. I can't stand all the painfully slow movements in this game for climbing, etc.

Boneless

Does the later chapters get longer? Because I'm in chapter 7 with 9 hours. Don't think I'm rushing. I mostly walk not run. I talk to everyone and have done every side quest so far.

Yes, I was 20 hours in chapter 9. Not being overly slow, just doing all sidequests.

Btw there are some badass moves in this games, starshower is very cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Silvawuff

8 hours in and on Chapter 4. I'm in love. When the game started I just stood there, looked up at the underplates of Midgar and got goosebumps. We're here. They did it.

Easy GotY for me. This game is a love letter to OG fans. If some don't like it, oh well -- it doesn't color my experience so far, which is an addictive and fun game with an incredibly fleshed out cast, fun combat, and beautiful pacing, at least what I've seen so far. This game is something special and I can honestly say I can't wait for more. What a treat.

This is what FFXV should have been with its combat system and story presentation.

psorcerer

Banned
I agree completely. The battle system is a mess of ability spam and is tedious to operate. The game's camera sure doesn't make things any easier.

Yep. "Tedious" is probably the best description.
There are couple of really infuriating things:
1. Enemies time their attacks to yours to interrupt, and you have no way to know any attack length and thus cannot interrupt shit, only by chance.
2. Enemies have a lot of homing skills, almost every skill is homing. Your skills are not homing at all, enemy moves 2 pixels - you miss.

GymWolf

Gold Member
holy shit at some texture work in chapter 3...they finished the budget at some point or what? 😆

also tifa really is gorgeous:messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
Can you elaborate? Because that is my genuine impression.

FF7R has super linear sections with select few branching parts, like the reactor missions.
And it has those free roam areas like the slums. Here you cannot enter any building, so it's also not that sprawling. Some paths lead away from the slums to a few fighting areas. Not that large either.

In FF13 you have mostly ultra linear sections, they are about as linear as FF7R, probably a bit more linear.
BUT you also have some free roam areas like the Archylte steppe that has actual free roam. Again even the slums and Aerith's village are quite constrained, come on.

Now I do get that you can feel that 13 is more linear than 7R. But come on you can't tell me gulf is that big overall. FF7R is very linear overall and I already long for part II with real exploration...

The original was linear

To be perfectly honest, this is one of the poorest battle systems I've seen in a game, not in execution but in general design philosophy. It's unbalanced, it's chaotic, and I always feel like every time I triumph, it's never due to a measured or skillful execution of tactics on my part but one of brute forcing my way through it, and one further that I could've accomplished alone, aided by potions and spells.
The problem is trying to be both an action game and fundamentally turn-based.

It's hilarious that the moment I select a spell to cast, all the enemies stop and stand there and wait for you to finish animating the spell before continuing with the battle.

Mass Effect did this sort of action-RPG hybrid combat really well. This game just feels clunky, the controls are mushy, dodging actually doesn't dodge anything most of the time because most enemy attacks are hitscan and you don't have any invincibility frames, and blocking only reduces damage but doesn't prevent it.

Also the bosses are annoying bullet sponges.

What's really annoying isn't the combat though. What's annoying is just how padded the game feels. It's obvious they have stretched a part of the game which was only 4-5 hours in the original to 40 hours. There is so much slow walking and talking, it's like Gears of War on steroids. Also seeing Sephiroth every 15 minutes right from the start is a baffling design decision, he doesn't even appear until far into the original for a reason.

In many ways, it's like the problem with Peter Jackon's King Kong. Remember that movie? It's that big budget super special effects remake of King Kong Peter Jackson made after LOTR and follows the exact same story, except padded with a lot of pointless side characters and subplots which go nowhere. The movie follows the story of the original King Kong very closely and ends the same way and ultimately feels like a waste of time at the end because you basically watched King Kong again with a $200 million budget and it took you almost 3 hours for no reason. I really hope that's not what FF7 Remake series will feel like at the end, like you just spent another 200 hours playing the same thing you played 25 years ago with better graphics and a lot of pointless side characters and subplots that were nothing more than a waste of your time in the end.

Last edited:

Aggelos

"This Thursday’s Famitsu Magazine (Weekly Famitsu Magazine April 23, 2020) includes 77 pages on Final Fantasy 7 Remake. The magazine recaps all the information published by Square Enix prior release. Moreover, it has a retrospective of all Final Fantasy VII related material (even Ehrgeiz). The magazine also includes an interview with Cloud’s seiyuu Takahiro Sakurai. He mostly touches upon the same subjects as in another interview we translated. Lastly, Producer Yoshinori Kitase and Director Tetsuya Nomura shared new comments. We’ll be taking a look at these in this article. "

KiNeMz

Banned
I absolutely loved the section and wouldn't have had it any other way. It's like people forget this is an rpg with a big focus on story. You can't expect every to complain about sections that are you just interacting with the characters and getting immersed in the world. I dragged than aerith section out to like 3x it's length just enjoying the world design.

I also LOVED my Bikey boy.

It seems like a lot of the complaints about pacing are complaints about what I would call some of the bests parts of the game lasting too long when I would want even more.. Opinions, what are they?
Exac;ty why I hate the argument or criticism of what defines "Pacing". Its a subjective matter and can also depend on someones mood.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
What's really annoying isn't the combat though. What's annoying is just how padded the game feels. It's obvious they have stretched a part of the game which was only 4-5 hours in the original to 40 hours. There is so much slow walking and talking, it's like Gears of War on steroids. Also seeing Sephiroth every 15 minutes right from the start is a baffling design decision, he doesn't even appear until far into the original for a reason.

The route to the second reactor bombing is this. The train tunnels, which were like 3 screens in the original game were blown up into a 2 hour dungeon. Then once you get to the under plate, it's another hour or two dungeon. I haven't made it to the reactor yet, but I"m sure that will be another 2 hour segment as well.

That dungeon was like 1 hour in the original game.

Now that the world looks much more photorealistic, it is very hilarious how Cloud walks around with a sword as big as he is strapped to his back and literally no one in the civilian populace around you seems to notice or care. Also no one seems to notice Barret has a gatling gun for a hand either. All the civilians looks like normal people and here we are just walking around armed to the teeth and everyone doesn't blink an eye. Okay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom