• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

Graphically, this really is a mixed bag. It looks absolutely amazing at times, but then theres the pop in and low res textures on doors, which is nearly n64 standard. Nothing the ps5/ ssd won’t solve! On the whole though, it just feels so epic, from the very beginning. Definitely won’t be rushing this one as i know the sequel won’t be here for 3 years at the very least.

Reactions: Isa
I noticed that last night. I'll take your door and raise you a fence.

tFFvGQd.jpg

Wow, i just mentioned this in my post. It really is weird and something so obvious that its shocking that this has got past testing. I hope they patch these kind of things, because it cannot be a hardware limitation.

Can't seem to get past this part in Ch.3. Tifa is leading me further and further from the objective :messenger_smiling_hearts:
iq9V9xg.jpg

OoNWWDX.jpg

SM6U4VK.jpg

KJLqzUg.jpg

QxQbZas.jpg

z9dvzNA.jpg

This isnt healthy.

I full expect Square/Sony to come out and say its because of the limitations of the PS4 as per SSD similar to the bull that Activision pulled with the PS3 version of BLOPS 3.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Wow, i just mentioned this in my post. It really is weird and something so obvious that its shocking that this has got past testing. I hope they patch these kind of things, because it cannot be a hardware limitation.

It is strange. Like who would submit that graphic and who would approve it. With the door example they even talk about door numbers that you can't even see.

It's strange there is no day 1 patch considering this game went gold quite a while ago.

Apart from the graphics issues though absolutely loving this game.

chitzy

Banned
Graphically, this really is a mixed bag. It looks absolutely amazing at times, but then theres the pop in and low res textures on doors, which is nearly n64 standard. Nothing the ps5/ ssd won’t solve! On the whole though, it just feels so epic, from the very beginning. Definitely won’t be rushing this one as i know the sequel won’t be here for 3 years at the very least.
In my experience the first few hours of the game knocked it out of the park graphically, then it kind of went to shit for a while and was really losing me until I got to Wall Market and it kicked it back up. There are most definitely areas of the game that got a lot more shine than others.

chitzy

Banned
Literally every minute of this game that isn't part of the original story is just unfathomably bad. There are multiple extended sequences between the main beats of the original that stop the game dead in its tracks and the stuff that isn't just pure filler is miserable and dumb beyond understanding.

When the game sticks close to the original it's good and often great, but from what I can tell so far that's only going to be a quarter of the game at most. This sucks.
What's frustrating is that there's so much more they could have done with the filler content. It's clear that they needed to pad out the game and most of us expected it. But for them to resort to the cheese dick MMO style "go fetch" quests given by characters who are worthless to the story is just pathetic. There is so much opportunity for more world building and character development there and the devs take the laziest option possible. It's unfortunate, considering it's unlikely we'll ever get another take at experiencing Midgar.

Lethal01

What's frustrating is that there's so much more they could have done with the filler content. It's clear that they needed to pad out the game and most of us expected it. But for them to resort to the cheese dick MMO style "go fetch" quests given by characters who are worthless to the story is just pathetic. There is so much opportunity for more world building and character development there and the devs take the laziest option possible. It's unfortunate, considering it's unlikely we'll ever get another take at experiencing Midgar.

Doesn't need another take, they knocked it out of the park with the additional story and world building. Chapter 4 for example was a masterpiece. All it needs is a version to improve the textures. While 99% of the time the game is gorgeous it could still be better without the distracting textures.

Last edited:

Shrap

Doesn't need another take, they knocked it out of the park with the additional story and world building. Chapter 4 for example was a masterpiece. All it needs is a version to improve the textures. While 99% of the time the game is gorgeous it could still be better without the distracting textures.
Does need another take, they struck out with the additional story and fetch quests. Chapter 18 for example was a convoluted mess. All it needs is a version with better combat, better writing, less linearity, good sidequests, no movement/camera locking, better voice acting, less filler and better pacing. Oh and improved textures. While some sections of the game look great it could be better without the distracting super low res textures all throughout the slums.

It seems that we all have our own opinions about the game.

Lethal01

Does need another take, they struck out with the additional story and fetch quests. Chapter 18 for example was a convoluted mess. All it needs is a version with better combat, better writing, less linearity, good sidequests, no movement/camera locking, better voice acting, less filler and better pacing. Oh and improved textures. While some sections of the game look great it could be better without the distracting super low res textures all throughout the slums.

It seems that we all have our own opinions about the game.

I don't think it being a 9.5 out 10 means they need to redo so it becomes a 10/10. It's got it's flaws but not enough to need a redo.

Grinchy

Banned
Well at 7 hours in, I'm still enjoying it but starting to wonder if the whole game is gonna be extended scripted sequences with only a tiny bit of fighting mixed in.

I keep expecting it to "open up" and am still hopeful its getting there.

Shrap

I don't think it being a 9.5 out 10 means they need to redo so it becomes a 10/10. It's got it's flaws but not enough to need a redo.
I do think it being a 7/10 means it could use a redo to become a 10/10. It has enough flaws to justify a redo.

I don't mean to repeat what you are saying and flip it but you don't seem to get that everyone has different opinions about this game.

It's an 8/10 at best if you're grading it on the Final Fantasy curve. Without the name Final Fantasy attached and without the story and characters of FF7 it's probably a 6/10.

Yes, the nostalgia is worth a full extra 2 points. That's how Final Fantasy is. For some of us who grew up with Final Fantasy we'll probably put up with unbelievable amounts of shit for this franchise.

Last edited:

Lethal01

It's an 8/10 at best if you're grading it on the Final Fantasy curve. Without the name Final Fantasy attached and without the story and characters of FF7 it's probably a 6/10.

Yes, the nostalgia is worth a full extra 2 points. That's how Final Fantasy is. For some of us who grew up with Final Fantasy we'll probably put up with unbelievable amounts of shit for this franchise.

I've never been a fan of mainline Final Fantasy, this is simply one of the best games to come out on this gen and Imo the best exclusive to come from the ps4. I could not have less nostalgia for this, it's just a fantastic game.

Boneless

Good point, but it´s exactly the other way around, if this was not a remake it would be 9´s all across the board. The story, the characters, the scenes, they are all epic and we know it, but because it´s not new this obviously will deduct points.

Birdo

Banned
Most people streaming/reviewing this on Twitch and YT have "Thanks to Square for the free copy" writen in the description. And I don't mean big channels either. Like everyone......

Where's my copy, Square?

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Good point, but it´s exactly the other way around, if this was not a remake it would be 9´s all across the board. The story, the characters, the scenes, they are all epic and we know it, but because it´s not new this obviously will deduct points.
This, I think nostalgia is clouding people's mind.
FF VII was amazing back then, but time moved on and gaming evolved. You can't possibly expect the exact same game with graphical updates.
Like SE said: if that's what you want, play FF VII remastered.

Saying it's a 6/10 game is utter nostalgic fanboy-drivel.

psorcerer

Banned
Nope. This battle system is THE best designed system i've seen from Square....you can tell they've been doing their homework on the triumphs/failures of the previous few games.

Let me just explain how well-designed and self-aware this game's battle system clearly was, based on design choices alone, because i'm sort of in love with this shit:

RPG mechanics:
The balance between action game offense and RPG defense is extremely deliberate in one major distinction --if an attack is coming your way there is little you can do to AVOID damage. This is the key difference between combat systems that are more action-oriented vs more "traditional" RPG combat systems where damage is more or less unavoidable. This is very important, because it's the difference between the player's INPUT being the biggest aspect in the flow of battle (action games) vs. the spread of STATS between characters and enemies being the biggest influence (RPG games).

And you can tell this was deliberate in FF7R because of one very noticeable design choice -- the complete lack of I-frames on dodging/blocking options. And THIS is significant for 2 main reasons -- one, It forces the expectation on the player that you're going to take damage at some point no matter what you do (an integral part of RPGs because this is basically the entire gear aspect), and two, it places a ceiling on damage mitigation in a way that keeps incoming damage from your AI-controlled characters within fair and respectable levels.

You're going to take damage. The most effective (and reliable) method of avoiding damage is generally to just defend. Thus, your teammates taking damage out of your control will never be egregiously bad because they can only ever do so much worse than you. Unlike in FF15, where the AI choosing not to avoid a simple attack is literally the difference between you having to revive them or not. The reason the game was designed like that is because Noctis (the main character) technically NEVER has to take damage from ANY attack, and the game was balanced around this.

Action mechanics:
As far as action mechanics go, the most the game REALLY asks of you is to choose between committing to attacking or defending.....that's basically it. See, because dodge rolling has no i-frames, the ability to cancel into dodge doesn't allow you to engage enemies and avoid damage at the same time like most ACTION games would (see FFXV or Kingdom Hearts). So outside of the telegraphed moves you actually CAN avoid with positioning/out manuvering opponents, over-extending to attack will generally result in you getting damaged.

But that's not to say that you can't AVOID damage in this game, because.....:

Strategy-based components and flexibility:
....The real genius of FF7R to me is that the concept of "avoiding damage" (an integral part of action games) was actually removed from the "ACTION" parts of the game and instead given to the RPG mechanics in the ATB system. Specifically speaking, the most efficient way to avoid damage from enemy/boss moves in FF7 is to interrupt them...and that generally can only be done with ATB options, which feature basically all of the typical RPG elements of the game.

It reminds me of the Kingdom Hearts 1 "Tech" system, where you could stun/negate enemy attack animations using specific magics, and the game would reward you with a larger opening than if you had just dodged or blocked it. And I call this "genius" because doing this in a game where you ALWAYS have access to your teammates/their movesets allows you to execute some very nice strategies, as long as you are successful in managing ATB usage (which literally just equates to "You aren't taking so much damage that you are unnecessarily using ATB on healing instead of attacking").

The game gives you skillful options during this risk/reward ATB phase in the form of character abilities to take more control of the flow of the game. Cloud literally has a stance that completely removes mobility and blocking and replaces it with more attacks. Barrett literally just gives you free ATB for playing safe, Tifa's burst potential becomes explosive the longer you're able to keep her in the heat of combat while she builds up her stacking mechanic. Aerith's moveset is all about positioning and strategy -- she has long attack animations, delayed-effect specials, she puts enhancing runes on the ground, ect. (It's no coincidence she joins the party with Ice materia, the only magic in the game that requires the enemy to stay still after being hit.....just like her charged Triangle move.)

This game was excellently fucking designed. Kudos to the KH2 battle director.....if only they hired him for KH3 -_-;

Now, as for your post @PanzerAzel....the main problem you seem to have is that you seem to be expecting FF7R to try to be more of an action game than it actually is. But the biggest thing Easy mode does is trivialize the "action" portion of the game where you build ATB and balance survival.....and in Classic you don't need to interact with it at all, essentially turning the game into Turn Based FF7 again.

Honestly, the Action-RPG this game reminds me most of is Phantasy Star Online (Ep.I, II, & IV, not PSO2 or PSU), a game with a very deliberate blend between action elements and traditional RPG elements.

Nice theory. But that's not what I see in practice.

1. You must evade a lot of attacks. There are too many that will one shot a character if you don't (or two-shot).
2. Guarding is ineffective against a lot of attacks. (the ridiculous fight with Rude, you cannot guard and cannot evade)
3. You cannot manage ATB growth at all sometimes, if you cannot damage (immune, resistant) an enemy or cannot hit them (too fast moving) your ATB is zero, and you have nothing to do about it. Literally nothing, you need to rely on luck and random generator, which automatically places that battle system on the bottom.
4. You cannot interrupt anybody in this game. Unless you use magic/skill, and then you need ATB, which you cannot have if you get spammed by enemies in the first place. But yes, you get interrupted all the time. Because again: enemies can time their attacks to yours, you - cannot. There is no timer, there is no indication how long any attack will charge, and you cannot interrupt enemies by regular attacks.

Hostile_18

Banned
I think the low res textures are errors personally. If you run really fast you can see textures pop in from there basics ones but the ones were seeing clearly dont appear to be loading in the higher res versions like they are meant to, at a close distance.

Thst been said it's weird how they have been missed. But then again its also weird how there is no day 1 patch given how early this game went gold.

Sophist

I think the low res textures are errors personally. If you run really fast you can see textures pop in from there basics ones but the ones were seeing clearly dont appear to be loading in the higher res versions like they are meant to, at a close distance.

Thst been said it's weird how they have been missed. But then again its also weird how there is no day 1 patch given how early this game went gold.

Rage had the same problem on PC, IIRC.

Boneless

Nice theory. But that's not what I see in practice.

3. You cannot manage ATB growth at all sometimes, if you cannot damage (immune, resistant) an enemy or cannot hit them (too fast moving) your ATB is zero, and you have nothing to do about it. Literally nothing, you need to rely on luck and random generator, which automatically places that battle system on the bottom.

21 hours in but I have not had this issue. \_(ツ)_/¯ There's also materia to help build up your atb while guarding etc if you really need it.

Malakhov

Banned
Daaaamn, this game is unbelievable. Opinions are truly different on what can be a filler or not...

I've heard complaints that listed the walk and chat with Aerith on the rooftops. Man, how can people think this is filler is beyond me. I never wanted that moment to end, it was like getting back with an old friend/lover. Very very special moment, first time I had teary eyes while playing a video game ...

Last edited:

SantaC

Ok here are my thoughts so far.

Positives:

-Wellcrafted narrative
-Fun minigames
-great character models
-materia system is as fun as ever
-midgar looks great for the most part

Negatives:

-short game for a jrpg these days (played 15 hours and are more then halfway.)
-convulted battle system
-boring sidequests
-these dementor things look stupid

• Thoughtful

Silvawuff

I'm really enjoying this discussion. There's a lot to critique, but a lot to love too. Airbuster was a spicy boi, then Reno is like sup, git gud. I hated Aerith in the original game, but this one has a lot more personality to her and I like her re-imagining/presentation here.

As far as the battle system, my take is it's not about avoiding damage, it's how you soak the damage. You're forced to make some critical choices to either heal, buff, or go on the offensive. You have a lot of tools to use and it's really how you use them and when. You have to prioritize what you kill first. I think SE did a lot of good here by borrowing what worked from other games. Is the combat perfect? No, it's not. But I'm enjoying it -- it hasn't become old and I'm discovering more about it the more I play. I think the texture thing they can probably fix with a patch, and it's not a product of sloppy game design. I hope they'll let us transfer data when the next one comes out on PS5.

I really have to hand it to SE here. They could have gone with a remaster -- just strip the old game and stick on a new coat of paint. They went the harder route here and just notched everything up in every way possible. Not everyone will love it, and that's okay! I'm fangirling hard here and enjoying every minute. And you know what? There aren't any critical problems that have taken away my enjoyment of this game or took me out of my gaming coma. This is a precious state to be in, because I feel too few games really bring me there anymore.

It's okay to be a fan. This is for us.

Edit: BTW to those of you who are enamored with Tifa's design: enjoy, dudes! She's really cutehot!

Last edited:

base

Banned
Sidequests are still Assassin's Creed level. I'd hope that TW3 would be a good example for other devs how they should make sidequests but it seems they don't care.

Top Bottom