• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

Hostile_18

Banned
GAF’s old pal Yoshichan has short circuited total

v75QVnz.png

Jesus what a fucking toss lol

Omg I'm scared of what actually happened in that final chapter that could change the perception of the entire game.

I can sour on something if the end is really bad it often diminishes something as a whole (but no where near to that extent) I.e Game of Thones final 2 seasons. The original game still exists in this case after all.

Still unhealthy to be that invested in something at the expense of everything else. Hope hes gonna be alright.

Reactions: Isa

base

Banned
What. The. Fuck.

How does someone that unstable and immature even have a wife? I'm guessing that means he's well and truly an adult... Yet he cried, trembled and wanted to kill himself over a videogame.

Deplorable and pathetic aren't strong enough descriptors.
How? You mean his wife is also unstable? ;)

Kev Kev

I'm on chapter 12 ish (i think... im fighting reno and rude on top of the pillar) anyone have any really good videos for how to not suck at this battle system (not jsut for this fight but in general)? or can give me a detailed run down of how to work on getting better at it?

im fucking terrible at it and it's ruining the game for me. it's just feels like all out chaos at times and im left literally throwing my arms in the air asking wtf just happened?

I know you can use R2 to basically stop the action, or press the assess/map button to actually stop it. i usually do that immediately, to assess the enemy and their weaknesses and come up with a strategy of which character im going to go to and what they are going to do. literally thinking like 3 or 4 steps ahead. then i leave the assess screen or whatever, start putting my plan into action (which sometimes works beautifully and is fun) but most of the time everything just goes to shit within a few seconds and i find myself going back to the assess screen in an indescribable shitty feeling of frustration and bewilderment.

i legit feel like im just not using good strategy, combined with the fact that im terrible at video games, so im not necessarily complaining about the battle system itself. i think it will be a lot of fun once i get a handle on it

THAT BEING SAID...

holy shit can we please slow the battle system the ever loving fuck down a little bit for the next chapters of this remake?! omfg it's just bananas at times. like, i noticed, i have 20 or 30 of some of these status ailment items (the ones that cure sleep, silence, etc... and that's 20 or 30 for each of those types of items) that i never use because i feel the battle is so fast and crazy that i dont have time to help these characters. lol... jesus square, how much meth were you smoking!?

lol, nah jsut kidding i think the battle can be fun, im just still getting used to it i guess. any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Boneless

Sidequests are still Assassin's Creed level. I'd hope that TW3 would be a good example for other devs how they should make sidequests but it seems they don't care.

In the end its a balancing act. TW3 had some great sidequests (though the majority was still very simplistic), but its combat stinks. Developing decent sidequests simply costs a lot of recources, at which point you might wonder why you'd put those recources in a side quest that some people might not even do during their run.

base

Banned
I'm guessing so. She was crying over him crying over a videogame... So yeah, probably a safe bet.

I reckon they'd crumble into dust if you knocked on their door loud enough.
There are many weird people living on this planet. One of them is my neighbor. She is pretty Asian (really!) and she's 33. I was wondering why such a girl would be alone for so long. Now I know after discovering that she's stalking people.

She asked me like 20 times via my whatsapp when is my birthday because she wants to buy me a present. After a month nothing, not even a word. All she sends me is "i heard people arguing! Can you take a look?". She sendsme messages sometimes till 2-3 am. LOL.

chitzy

Banned
There are many weird people living on this planet. One of them is my neighbor. She is pretty Asian (really!) and she's 33. I was wondering why such a girl would be alone for so long. Now I know after discovering that she's stalking people.

She asked me like 20 times via my whatsapp when is my birthday because she wants to buy me a present. After a month nothing, not even a word. All she sends me is "i heard people arguing! Can you take a look?". She sendsme messages sometimes till 2-3 am. LOL.
In most Asian cultures a woman who is unmarried at 33 has brought shame to her family.

Is she hot?

Arkam

So far I am really enjoying the game. I just cant get over the character models in game. Its how I always imaged them when I played VII 20 years ago. Enjoying the combat, though I am still adjusting. My only problem is that I think I skipped the block 'tutorial'. I saw that Circle is dodge/evade.... but I still get hit by ranged attacks. Someone please help me with what I am sure is the obvious.

Edit* I found the tutorials in the GUI and see how to block! Wow was the same slide that said how to evade.... those reading skills

Last edited:

base

Banned
In most Asian cultures a woman who is unmarried at 33 has brought shame to her family.

Is she hot?
Believe me - real hot. Her mother is European, father Indonesian. She's cute and got great body. But she's fucking weird.

When I went for holidays last year she asked for my kets so she would be giving water to my flowers. She didn't do shit. After coming back I was looking for hidden camera or voice recorder!!!

psorcerer

Banned
21 hours in but I have not had this issue. \_(ツ)_/¯ There's also materia to help build up your atb while guarding etc if you really need it.

chapter 9 hell house boss.
when barrier is up you cannot fill atb to do any skill when the barrier is up, you need to use the other character.
and if not interrupt it it does hell of a damage to the whole area
if you evade it's fire attacks you get to 10% of your health down, if you're unlucky you get to 50%, if you guard you get 40% (what a relief!)
at the time cloud gets 1 atb chunk the boss does at least 5 wide area attacks
and it does "grabbing" attack which one-shots the other party member, so cloud needs to get grabbed on purpose instead and get maimed to "red" health.
not to mention it launches it's grabbing attack all the fucking time

Last edited:

Shrap

Sounds like she's lonely and being too forward trying to connect with people.

I have a schizo on my floor. At first I thought he was always on his phone but it turns out he is having full blown conspiracy theory conversations with himself. He often runs out of his room trying to chase down people that break into his apartment when he's not there. The only problem is those people don't exist. He had a full breakdown the other week; he started yelling at the top of his lungs, he then smashed everything in his apartment and then burst out his front door, ran down the stairs and started banging on the door of the apartment right below him. He thought whoever was in that apartment was the one sneaking into his apartment. Whoever lives there must've been scared shitless.

Last edited:
  • LOL

chitzy

Banned
I'm on chapter 12 ish (i think... im fighting reno and rude on top of the pillar) anyone have any really good videos for how to not suck at this battle system (not jsut for this fight but in general)? or can give me a detailed run down of how to work on getting better at it?

im fucking terrible at it and it's ruining the game for me. it's just feels like all out chaos at times and im left literally throwing my arms in the air asking wtf just happened?

I know you can use R2 to basically stop the action, or press the assess/map button to actually stop it. i usually do that immediately, to assess the enemy and their weaknesses and come up with a strategy of which character im going to go to and what they are going to do. literally thinking like 3 or 4 steps ahead. then i leave the assess screen or whatever, start putting my plan into action (which sometimes works beautifully and is fun) but most of the time everything just goes to shit within a few seconds and i find myself going back to the assess screen in an indescribable shitty feeling of frustration and bewilderment.

i legit feel like im just not using good strategy, combined with the fact that im terrible at video games, so im not necessarily complaining about the battle system itself. i think it will be a lot of fun once i get a handle on it

THAT BEING SAID...

holy shit can we please slow the battle system the ever loving fuck down a little bit for the next chapters of this remake?! omfg it's just bananas at times. like, i noticed, i have 20 or 30 of some of these status ailment items (the ones that cure sleep, silence, etc... and that's 20 or 30 for each of those types of items) that i never use because i feel the battle is so fast and crazy that i dont have time to help these characters. lol... jesus square, how much meth were you smoking!?

lol, nah jsut kidding i think the battle can be fun, im just still getting used to it i guess. any help would be appreciated, thanks!
The way it's designed there really isn't much you can do to avoid the chaos in battles against more than one enemy unless you're willing to keep pausing and slowing the game which is tedious to the max. Playing your ranged character (Barret, Aeris) is less frustrating because the AI seems to focus on the player character and when you're doing melee this basically means getting pelted with constant ability spam, at a range you have more chance to evade or block or move away. It's also a lot easier to analyze the battle at a range since the camera is fucking chaos at close range.

chitzy

Banned
Believe me - real hot. Her mother is European, father Indonesian. She's cute and got great body. But she's fucking weird.

When I went for holidays last year she asked for my kets so she would be giving water to my flowers. She didn't do shit. After coming back I was looking for hidden camera or voice recorder!!!
You should be bang, the sex would be fire.

base

Banned
Sounds like she's lonely and being too forward trying to connect with people.

I have a schizo on my floor. At first I thought he was always on his phone but it turns out he is having full blown conspiracy theory conversations with himself. He often runs out of his room trying to chase down people that break into his apartment when he's not there. The only problem is those people don't exist. He had a full breakdown the other week; he started yelling at the top of his lungs, he then smashed everything in his apartment and then burst out his front door, ran down the stairs and started banging on the door of the apartment right below him. He thought whoever was in that apartment was the one sneaking into his apartment. Whoever lives there must've been scared shitless.
After last time I've blocked her on whatsapp. But still I don't feel good with it.

Boneless

chapter 9 hell house boss.
when barrier is up you cannot fill atb to do any skill when the barrier is up, you need to use the other character.
and if not interrupt it it does hell of a damage to the whole area
if you evade it's fire attacks you get to 10% of your health down, if you're unlucky you get to 50%, if you guard you get 40% (what a relief!)
at the time cloud gets 1 atb chunk the boss does at least 5 wide area attacks
and it does "grabbing" attack which one-shots the other party member, so cloud needs to get grabbed on purpose instead and get maimed to "red" health.
not to mention it launches it's grabbing attack all the fucking time

Its really easy to dodge those grabbing attacks. Barrier still fills atb, though less fast. Had no problem with hell house tbh.

Nickolaidas

I just had my first cringe moment in the game. It was when Cloud and Barret must flip a switch in unison.

Tifa: Nice!! You guys are naturals! Cloud, do you read minds?

Me: I just flipped a fucking switch, Tifa. Chill.

nikeboy94

THAT BEING SAID...

The battle system is really good and I think it just hasn't clicked for you just yet. The focus is on team management and watching the enemy rather than spamming attacks.

First off - Be a bit more defensive. Watching enemy movements and blocking can go a long way in this game as it'll help prevent your combat from being interrupted. If you're finding enemy (melee) attacks overwhelming then utilise Cloud's parry/counterattack mechanic (go into Punisher mode and press block - R1). Expect to take a lot of damage in every fight.

Secondly, be efficient with ATB usage and take your time with it. Once you know an enemy's weakness, just spend a bit of time gaining ATB and using the best attack for that enemy as much as you can. Don't sit on the same character for ages, use the ATB meters in other characters when they become full. I like to switch to Barret after I've told Cloud to use a lengthy attack, as Barret's Overcharge (triange attack) is not only powerful but a great way to quickly gain another ATB bar.

Following on from the previous point - Team Management is important! Make sure atleast two of your party have healing materia to keep your health up and have the cleansing Materia / items around to get rid of status ailements. You need to be watching your team as a lot - keeping an eye on their health, keeping an eye on their ATB bars.

Lastly, a top tip to get you through the bigger battles - Learn what makes an enemy stagger and how to increase that bar quickly. The team has certain attacks that increase stagger, such as Cloud's Focus Thrust, but enemies are also weak to magic etc that can make them stagger. Once staggered, you can increase the stagger bonus and deal even more damage, like using Tifa's triangle attacks - which can bring the stagger bonus to crazy numbers like 300%.

I would advise that in order for the combat to feel slower, you need to make yourself "slower". Spend more analysing the battlefield and take your time with attacks. There is only so much you can do to plan ahead, you need to spend most of your time reacting to what is throw at you by the enemy. Don't let them dictate the fight.

Last edited:

wvnative

Was reading GameSpot's guide to missable Materia, luckily based on that guide I've got everything...

...Except a revive materia you can get on chapter 4. Did i seriously miss the only revive materia in the game?

SegaShack

With being home from work for the foreseeable future I was playing through KH3 right before this came out.

The KH3 battle system I never fully understood and it felt sloppy.

In comparison, when I fought the robot scorpion boss in this game I really had to learn the battle system and it is really polished. I'm having a great time with this game.

Last edited:

zkorejo

Can I start playing after some point, while it downloads? Or do I have to wait till the entire game is downloaded? Any help would be much appreciated.

zkorejo

Learn to be patient?
Internet is shit in my country, which is why I go for hard copies. Which I cant get now and this game is like 90 GB. I dont want to stare at my ps4 for a month o download a fuckin game. I asked a simple question.. Didn't ask you for an advice.

TacosNSalsa

Can I start playing after some point, while it downloads? Or do I have to wait till the entire game is downloaded? Any help would be much appreciated.
When I was downloading , in the notifications the download bar was it 2 sections which normally means you can start when the first section is done . I think it was like 14 gigs or something but I have no idea if you can actually play , some games allow you start it and get to the menu screen but not actually play it

John Day

The problem is trying to be both an action game and fundamentally turn-based.

It's hilarious that the moment I select a spell to cast, all the enemies stop and stand there and wait for you to finish animating the spell before continuing with the battle.

Not true, enemies can and will interrupt your casting if they are on close range. They can do so to your abilities too, which also makes you lose that ATB action.

Kev Kev

The battle system is really good and I think it just hasn't clicked for you just yet. The focus is on team management and watching the enemy rather than spamming attacks.

First off - Be a bit more defensive. Watching enemy movements and blocking can go a long way in this game as it'll help prevent your combat from being interrupted. If you're finding enemy (melee) attacks overwhelming then utilise Cloud's parry/counterattack mechanic (go into Punisher mode and press block - R1). Expect to take a lot of damage in every fight.

Secondly, be efficient with ATB usage and take your time with it. Once you know an enemy's weakness, just spend a bit of time gaining ATB and using the best attack for that enemy as much as you can. Don't sit on the same character for ages, use the ATB meters in other characters when they become full. I like to switch to Barret after I've told Cloud to use a lengthy attack, as Barret's Overcharge (triange attack) is not only powerful but a great way to quickly gain another ATB bar.

Following on from the previous point - Team Management is important! Make sure atleast two of your party have healing materia to keep your health up and have the cleansing Materia / items around to get rid of status ailements. You need to be watching your team as a lot - keeping an eye on their health, keeping an eye on their ATB bars.

Lastly, a top tip to get you through the bigger battles - Learn what makes an enemy stagger and how to increase that bar quickly. The team has certain attacks that increase stagger, such as Cloud's Focus Thrust, but enemies are also weak to magic etc that can make them stagger. Once staggered, you can increase the stagger bonus and deal even more damage, like using Tifa's triangle attacks - which can bring the stagger bonus to crazy numbers like 300%.

I would advise that in order for the combat to feel slower, you need to make yourself "slower". Spend more analysing the battlefield and take your time with attacks. There is only so much you can do to plan ahead, you need to spend most of your time reacting to what is throw at you by the enemy. Don't let them dictate the fight.

this is awesome! thanks dude!

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Daaaamn, this game is unbelievable. Opinions are truly different on what can be a filler or not...

I've heard complaints that listed the walk and chat with Aerith on the rooftops. Man, how can people think this is filler is beyond me. I never wanted that moment to end, it was like getting back with an old friend/lover. Very very special moment, first time I had teary eyes while playing a video game ...

Definitely not filler. It was a scene from the original game.

Boneless

Couldn't help shake this feeling while walking in the slums that I should hurry because I could get hit by a random battle at any moment.

Lethal01

Won't know until som
Why does flipping any lever require a 5 second button hold? People got shit to do
To hide loading screens. open world games have the benefit of tons of asset repetition which make seamless streaming much easier. But this is 100gb game with tons of unique assets/areas that I personally think makes it shine among it's peers. so they need to hide the 5 second loading screens sometimes.

Imagine thinking this status is worth advertising. LOL

I have no issue with doing so... It is my favorite video game series; and I appreciate that every game for best or worse is different. I enjoy each entry for what there are; not these random ass poser fans that complain and think that because they are similar to my age (if they are...) and played the games in the past that they hold some heavenly high nostalgic mindset over a specific entry that they bit**, cry, threaten, or boycott going forward if they remake perfectly or alter the games slightly. For that I say they need to get over themselves. I personally find the less people that enjoy my favorite series, the better and if you can't enjoy it as well, fu** off I say.

Call me arrogant, conceited, a dick. Whatever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom