• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

Arkage

Banned
GAF’s old pal Yoshichan has short circuited total

v75QVnz.png

Jesus what a fucking toss lol

Jesus Christ dude.

I have no issue with doing so... It is my favorite video game series; and I appreciate that every game for best or worse is different. I enjoy each entry for what there are; not these random ass poser fans that complain and think that because they are similar to my age (if they are...) and played the games in the past that they hold some heavenly high nostalgic mindset over a specific entry that they bit**, cry, threaten, or boycott going forward if they remake perfectly or alter the games slightly. For that I say they need to get over themselves. I personally find the less people that enjoy my favorite series, the better and if you can't enjoy it as well, fu** off I say.

Call me arrogant, conceited, a dick. Whatever.

Reality is, arguing and getting upset achieves nothing (even if it is legitimate) but more arguing and so forth. Didn't like it the game and/or ending don't by the future games and continue to play the original like I will when I want to, along with this amazing new game and the future entries.

Isa

Well I've been absolutely loving it so far. Its been incredible, I enjoy the new stuff, the more fleshed out characters, and spending more time with old favorites like Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge has been awesome. Its really cool to see such flamboyant action cinematics in game, feels like its been ages since games tried to do that. Taking my time with this one, they really put a lot of effort into this game and it shows. I don't want it to end. But then I'll start up hard mode.

ExpandKong

Banned
Definitely not filler. It was a scene from the original game.

It was a twenty second scene from the original game.

I mean if it tickles your pickle that’s cool, and I’m gonna borrow the game from my brother when he’s done, but turning four hours of Midgar into a 40 hour game was always gonna lead to filler let’s not kid ourselves.

Zog

Banned
I have no issue with doing so... It is my favorite video game series; and I appreciate that every game for best or worse is different. I enjoy each entry for what there are; not these random ass poser fans that complain and think that because they are similar to my age (if they are...) and played the games in the past that they hold some heavenly high nostalgic mindset over a specific entry that they bit**, cry, threaten, or boycott going forward if they remake perfectly or alter the games slightly. For that I say they need to get over themselves. I personally find the less people that enjoy my favorite series, the better and if you can't enjoy it as well, fu** off I say.

I see, so fans who don't like a game are not real fans but instead are posers. Fans negatively comparing a remake to it's original are posers and they need to get over themselves for having the 'incorrect' opinion.

I see, so fans who don't like a game are not real fans but instead are posers. Fans negatively comparing a remake to it's original are posers and they need to get over themselves for having the 'incorrect' opinion.

Yep! As my girlfriend elegantly puts it on me sometimes "You are entitled to your trashy and wrong opinion". But I stand by my thoughts, a true fan of the series would appreciate this remake or reimagining if you so desire as exactly that and not compare it to the original. They said there would be differences; they would expand, deviate, and keep intact many parts of the game.

Doesn't mean Nomera is a hack, fraud, etc. Because you feel like he got you up the ass and tarnished your butthole over your apparently hopeful nostalgia trip that you didn't read or pay attention to.

what was yoshi upset about?

The ending.

Last edited:

McCheese

Day 3 - 19 hours in

Reached the Wall Market today (the 'Don Corneo' stuff) and sweet mother of Nomura, is this whole chapter amazing!

it feels like whatever A-team did that opening reactor segment were also responsible for this, as the production values and attention to detail just feel a notch higher than most of the other chapters in the game.

The arena battles are really well done. I love the commentators and their cheesy UFC Bruce Buffer introductions, but also the clever little touches like the flowers building up for Aerith each round, being able to talk to the people you defeated by going into their green room, and the crowd going from jeering at you to cheering you on as you walk out. But best of all, the mad lads are Square-Enix actually pulled it off and found a way to include
hell house
in the game. When it came out of the fucking floor my face was :messenger_open_mouth:

I was also really impressed by all the new characters in this area, especially the English voice actors for Madam M, Chocobo Steve, and that Honey Bee guy. Madam M steals every scene she's in with her stellar model & animation work.

So, that Honey Bee segment, we're going to have to talk about that right? Because they fucking went for it, no expense spared. All 6 jaguar CPU cores were put to work on making this campest, most over the top video game sequence I've seen in my life. Full-on motion-captured song and dance routines, peeking thru doors and seeing dirty old men being chased by girls in bee outfits, Aerith being an utter dick and tricking me into becoming an Idolm@ster. *chef kiss*

Wall Market itself is also just such a great area, has a real underworld feeling to it with all those nooks and crannies, and so many little interactions and voice samples as you explore the place. It's crazy how much ambient dialogue there is, then it all switches when you win the tournament, then it changes again when Aerith, then later Cloud, get transformed into beauties. Was hilarious trying to walk Cloud to Don's house and having all the characters turn their heads and start catcalling or proposing to me.

The music in this area is also great, especially how the tracks blend into one another as you move to the different districts. When you get near Chocobo Steve it turns into Western instruments and then turns more Orientental as you approach Madam M's.

Best chapter so far, and not a single 'crawl thru this gap slowly so we can load the rest of it in' section!

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The Reno and Rude pillar fight was incredble. Multiple phases, two distinct opponents, havin to switch between characters. Goddamn.

Really surprised by how well the combat works. And how divisive reception is since some people seem to dislike the combat lol

Nickolaidas

The Reno and Rude pillar fight was incredble. Multiple phases, two distinct opponents, havin to switch between characters. Goddamn.

Really surprised by how well the combat works. And how divisive reception is since some people seem to dislike the combat lol
This is the first ff game where I giggle with excitement whenever I realize an encounter is about to start.

Seriously, if they fix the shitty textures, this will be the perfect JRPG for me.

Collin

Banned
I’m on chapter 12 now and I gotta say: As of right now, I’m deeply in love with this game. There are flaws for sure (some obvious padding here and there) but it’s best moments have filled me with a childlike feeling of pure wonder that I thought video games couldn’t give me anymore. (esp. chapters 3, 8 and 9)

I am emotionally prepared for them to fuck it up in the final third here because i’m a cynical bastard but for now, wow!!!

chitzy

Banned

Anyone who is concerned with how much of a "fan" of a video game series they are or anybody else is really needs to reevaluate things in their life.

Paracelsus

Anyone who is concerned with how much of a "fan" of a video game series they are or anybody else is really needs to reevaluate things in their life.

That's maybe because none of your favorite series have been watered down and then destroyed by bandwagoners. That's why corporations hate gatekeeping, not because it's toxic.

DryPancakes

Banned
But I stand by my thoughts, a true fan of the series would appreciate this remake or reimagining if you so desire as exactly that and not compare it to the original.

Not if it's bad, changes are one thing, complete overhaul is another, I'll beleive you if you also think Kingdom Hearts is the peak of storytelling, because that's pretty much what this remake turned into.

I can't beleive a"true fan" would see this ending and say: "Yes, this is exactly what FFVII needed, a convoluted and messy deconstruction of the word REMAKE, genius. And those chumps who were so excited about an ACTUAL remake and are unhappy they were lied to, nope, not real fans".

psorcerer

Banned
Use the punisher guard counter

It works only once.
Then he will just grab you each time.
Literally the first thing I've tried was counter. But even if you time it with attack he will just do an "ability" which is un-counterable.
In the whole fight counter worked once.

Last edited:
Not if it's bad, changes are one thing, complete overhaul is another, I'll beleive you if you also think Kingdom Hearts is the peak of storytelling, because that's pretty much what this remake turned into.

I can't beleive a"true fan" would see this ending and say: "Yes, this is exactly what FFVII needed, a convoluted and messy deconstruction of the word REMAKE, genius. And those chumps who were so excited about an ACTUAL remake and are unhappy they were lied to, nope, not real fans".

What is completely stupid is they changed a few things around at the end (or making a new twist), and everyone loses their mind. Who is to say the original ending still won't be the end? Christ, you people are dumb. I bet you are one of the "fans" that is upset about it being in parts.... /shrug. I at least embrace change.

Again, this ISN'T the original. That still exists! /faceplate.

I will place a bet right now, those who are supposed to die will still die the same way and it will end in almost the same way. If you have a problem with deviation on a remake, you should 't have purchased the game because they said there would be from the beginning.

But OK, continue to live in the past...

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
What is completely stupid is they changed a few things around at the end (or making a new twist), and everyone loses their mind. Who is to say the original ending still won't be the end? Christ, you people are dumb. I bet you are one of the "fans" that is upset about it being in parts.... /shrug. I at least embrace change.

Again, this ISN'T the original. That still exists! /faceplate.

I will place a bet right now, those who are supposed to die will still die the same way and it will end in almost the same way. If you have a problem with deviation on a remake, you should 't have purchased the game because they said there would be from the beginning.

But OK, continue to live in the past...

Yea. While the ending is controversial, it doesn't really say if it will differ or not, which is the same questions we've been asking since they announced the remake. This just kicks the answer to the question further down the road.

Though the one dialogue scene of Aerith telling Cloud that he can't fall in love with her no matter what makes me think events will broadly stay the same going forward. That scene actually made me tear up :(

Last edited:
I cringe when people talk about how they are a 'true fan' and that those who don't agree with them are not 'true fans'.

Someone is butthurt... roflmao. Can I send some tissues or some diaper wipes to your place so you can wipe that rash away?

I suppose you hadn't replied in awhile, you must have been crying for quite sometime since your feelings were hurt... Sorry =(

I guess I cringe when children get upset when something doesn't go there way...

Last edited:

Collin

Banned
finally beat that fuck on pull-ups, jesus that was hard. my heart was racing by the end. good luck to you other plat hunters, could be the hardest trophy in there!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't remember Cloud being quite this much of a wet blanket sourpuss. Wish I were enjoying it more, but mostly it's a chore to get through, and the combat mechanics and progression systems don’t satisfy.

It’s a breath of fresh air to see attractive female character designs after purple hair woke western game Shrek overload, but sometimes FF7R comes off more like a harem dating sim with all these girls fawning over Cloud 24/7 while the threadbare plot advances glacially.

Wall Market has been cool at least.

ExpandKong

Banned
Someone is butthurt... roflmao. Can I send some tissues or some diaper wipes to your place so you can wipe that rash away?

I suppose you hadn't replied in awhile, you must have been crying for quite sometime since your feelings were hurt... Sorry =(

I guess I cringe when children get upset when something doesn't go there way...

are you real

Collin

Banned
mostly it's a chore to get through, and the combat mechanics and progression systems don’t satisfy.

Interesting, ive actually found the combat to be really intelligently designed and easily one of the best combat systems we’ve seen in a Final Fantasy game.

I was not prepared to say that either, I don’t love action RPGs. I found both XV’s and Kingdom Hearts III’s combat to be a wild chaotic button-mashing mess and I was fully expecting this to be the same. Happy to be wrong!

Arkage

Banned
Nice theory. But that's not what I see in practice.

1. You must evade a lot of attacks. There are too many that will one shot a character if you don't (or two-shot).
2. Guarding is ineffective against a lot of attacks. (the ridiculous fight with Rude, you cannot guard and cannot evade)
3. You cannot manage ATB growth at all sometimes, if you cannot damage (immune, resistant) an enemy or cannot hit them (too fast moving) your ATB is zero, and you have nothing to do about it. Literally nothing, you need to rely on luck and random generator, which automatically places that battle system on the bottom.
4. You cannot interrupt anybody in this game. Unless you use magic/skill, and then you need ATB, which you cannot have if you get spammed by enemies in the first place. But yes, you get interrupted all the time. Because again: enemies can time their attacks to yours, you - cannot. There is no timer, there is no indication how long any attack will charge, and you cannot interrupt enemies by regular attacks.

1) There are very few attacks that 1 shot from even half-HP levels in my experience. Bosses have 1-shot level of attacks from maybe around half health levels, but many of them are avoidable as well due to them telecasting the attack. The only fights I had where it actually felt like there were lots of dumb 1 shots is the tonberry fight, but I mean, that's the point of tonberry so I'm not going to bitch about it. The times where I got overwhelmed and died due to lack of ATB were almost always attributable to me ignoring healing for too long to begin with. If you wait to heal until your screen turns panic-red colors you're gonna have a bad time.

2) Guarding is ineffective if you don't use guard materia. As a side note I don't know if I got lucky or what but the Rude and Reno fights were totally enjoyable and I never felt like I was getting cheesed. If you want to dodge attack use Tifa more during those fights, she can run around like a roadrunner to dodge most stuff. Can basically kite enemies with her who depend on melee. It's truly Reno has that pounce attack that seems unavoidable, but as soon as that happened I switched to a different character and built up ATB to heal. You should not expect to avoid every attack, as this is an action-RPG, not an action game. I also never use guard materia and have guarded very little throughout my normal playthrough. Switching characters is more advisable than blocking with one you already control hoping to mitigate an attack.

3) There is materia designed to explicitly manage ATB growth. ATB Boost materia. ATB stagger materia. ATB assist materia. First Strike materia. Steadfast Block Materia (which gives ATB boost while blocking, and buffs blocking itself, killing both your #2 and #3 assertion). Refocus limit break + Clarity Pendant fills 3 ATBs. Whistlewind Scarf gives you ATB boost when entering battle. Barrets triangle attack is 1 automatic ATB charge. That combined with his distance allows him to generate ATB rapidly.

4) You need to start watching for enemy weaknesses and utilizing elemental materia + the weakness. Tifa with this combo and her fast attacks +buffs can quickly pressure and stagger enemies. Exploiting enemy weakness puts them into pressured mode, which basically leaves them helpless, which you can then stagger. Exploiting elemental or weapon weakness can make or break even generic fights against enemies let alone bosses.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
On Chapter 16, during my time being rightfully banned (apologies boss man EviLore EviLore won't happen again!)

I've been really analysing this game and taking it all in and I can safely say this is one of my favourite games this generation, it has everything I look for, expansive RPG upgrade elements, fun but challenging combat, bombastic boss battles, epic stories and characters and a true cinematic nature to it all.

This game for me has delivered so far, atm I'm grinding combat simulations so I can get to level 50 as hard difficulty doesn't sound like it's for me so I wanna stretch out this normal playthrough as much as possible.

My only massive problem with this game are some of the truly lazy visual choices this game took with its rendering or lack thereof.

Now the texture bugs are bad but they're bugs so I can't fault that unless it remains unpatched, I'm talking the absolutely jarring JPG level backgrounds in this game.

Now I understand that they may not have been able to render the city below, but surely there was a better option than this? Especially when some cutscenes focus on the backgrounds and allow them to take the entire shot which just cheapens the feeling of certain big moments as the world for me loses its immersion and starts to turn into some set from an 80's Sci-fi show.

I would have at least upped the quality of the backgrounds and if necessary added some thin layers of fog or something like that to obscure it as in some scenes it's impossible to ignore.

My only other fault of the game is the sidequests and how they just feel so cheap and the way the chapters interweave them makes me feel like Square just copied and pasted them in to stretch out the runtime.

For every 2 interesting side quests there are 5/6 filler quests that if it wasn't for me loving the world and playing this long awaited game I wouldn't have touched.

I'm not saying it's gotta be Witcher 3 level but you'd think with 5 years development time they could have done a bit more with it surely?

Overall I'm adoring this game and aside from some minor ish issues it's been a near flawless ride, I'm just hoping the game doesn't fall apart in the latter chapters.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Doing the last few sidequests before headin to Shinra HQ. I initially read pedometer materia as Pedo Meter. Been on the internet too long...

XJF

Anyone have a guide for the
Hard difficulty single character Shinra HQ VR battles
Apparently I'm just trash. All max level and still having problems.

Psykodad

Banned
Day 3 - 19 hours in

Reached the Wall Market today (the 'Don Corneo' stuff) and sweet mother of Nomura, is this whole chapter amazing!

it feels like whatever A-team did that opening reactor segment were also responsible for this, as the production values and attention to detail just feel a notch higher than most of the other chapters in the game.

The arena battles are really well done. I love the commentators and their cheesy UFC Bruce Buffer introductions, but also the clever little touches like the flowers building up for Aerith each round, being able to talk to the people you defeated by going into their green room, and the crowd going from jeering at you to cheering you on as you walk out. But best of all, the mad lads are Square-Enix actually pulled it off and found a way to include
hell house
in the game. When it came out of the fucking floor my face was :messenger_open_mouth:

I was also really impressed by all the new characters in this area, especially the English voice actors for Madam M, Chocobo Steve, and that Honey Bee guy. Madam M steals every scene she's in with her stellar model & animation work.

So, that Honey Bee segment, we're going to have to talk about that right? Because they fucking went for it, no expense spared. All 6 jaguar CPU cores were put to work on making this campest, most over the top video game sequence I've seen in my life. Full-on motion-captured song and dance routines, peeking thru doors and seeing dirty old men being chased by girls in bee outfits, Aerith being an utter dick and tricking me into becoming an Idolm@ster. *chef kiss*

Wall Market itself is also just such a great area, has a real underworld feeling to it with all those nooks and crannies, and so many little interactions and voice samples as you explore the place. It's crazy how much ambient dialogue there is, then it all switches when you win the tournament, then it changes again when Aerith, then later Cloud, get transformed into beauties. Was hilarious trying to walk Cloud to Don's house and having all the characters turn their heads and start catcalling or proposing to me.

The music in this area is also great, especially how the tracks blend into one another as you move to the different districts. When you get near Chocobo Steve it turns into Western instruments and then turns more Orientental as you approach Madam M's.

Best chapter so far, and not a single 'crawl thru this gap slowly so we can load the rest of it in' section!
The whole Wall Market section, up until you leave it, is probably one the greatest things in gaming.

And the Honeybee Inn scene is handsdown the most awesome gayest section in gaming.

Completely agree with you, the production-value is on a whole other level.

And the Don Corneo was a pure badass.

chitzy

Banned
The whole Wall Market section, up until you leave it, is probably one the greatest things in gaming.

And the Honeybee Inn scene is handsdown the most awesome gayest section in gaming.

Completely agree with you, the production-value is on a whole other level.

And the Don Corneo was a pure badass.

They really did knock the Wall Market sequence out of the park. Everything about it was on point. Unfortunately my experience has been that the game falls off hard after Wall Market hasn't yet recovered. There's some major pacing issues after leaving Wall Market - the sewers / train graveyard sequence drags on way too long. The whole train graveyard bit is really out of place in the game and probably should have been cut out - it just doesn't fit the tone of the game. Also, the writing really bottomed out when we have Tifa getting confirmation that Shinra is going to drop the plate immediately followed up by some unnecessary flashback to Aeris' childhood and Cloud and Tifa having to "find her". What the fuck was that about? Just kills the sense of urgency. Really that whole segment was a mess, although it did have one of the better bosses in the game (the poltergeist).

chitzy

Banned
Feels really weird to me that there is no sense of urgency to go rescue Aeris after the plate drops. Cloud running around doing favors for people like he doesn't have a care in the world while Aeris is in Hojo's lab learning the true meaning of doggystyle.

Arkage

Banned
They really did knock the Wall Market sequence out of the park. Everything about it was on point. Unfortunately my experience has been that the game falls off hard after Wall Market hasn't yet recovered. There's some major pacing issues after leaving Wall Market - the sewers / train graveyard sequence drags on way too long. The whole train graveyard bit is really out of place in the game and probably should have been cut out - it just doesn't fit the tone of the game. Also, the writing really bottomed out when we have Tifa getting confirmation that Shinra is going to drop the plate immediately followed up by some unnecessary flashback to Aeris' childhood and Cloud and Tifa having to "find her". What the fuck was that about? Just kills the sense of urgency. Really that whole segment was a mess, although it did have one of the better bosses in the game (the poltergeist).

I think there could've been an easy fix for this too: make some of these dungeons optional end game content rather than cramming it all within the main storyline.

Top Bottom