• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

HotPocket69

Banned
xtjRIlw.jpg

tTduB9T.png

John Day

Been playing up to chapter 7 (i think?), and the textures not loading, or being replaced with low res versions which is what i notice the most happens a lot, especially when looking down to the slums from up at the plates. They need to fix it!
Otherwise, i am loving all of this, honestly. Combat is making me use all the characters depending the situations, it makes you not rely on the AI, which is very very minimal and i’m feeling they intended it to be that way (god knows many complained about gambits and the AI in XV, though i didn’t). I feel they wanted you to be more into it by switching between party members. I sure would have loved this back in XV if the other 3 bros weren’t 1/4th of Noctis combat wise.

Loving the music arrangements and the tracks you can find around. I’m loving the dialog, i can see how it can get overdelivered or overemotional where not expected, but i’m loving it.

I’m also really liking how they expanded on the Avalanche members. Although i do have my reservatiins on one of the chapters, but overall, im loving this package. Will keep posting as I play!

Reactions: Isa

SCB3

Is Hard mode worth going through after doing Normal? I was reading that it it has a few exclusives and obs. the Platinum trophy has a requirement for it

Pallas

Finally getting around to playing it, love the intro. Notice a couple of nice differences from the demo. Like the enemy bestiary database.

Before I dive really deep and I’ve pretty much kept from spoiling myself by not reading and reviews, but how is the materia system? Is it going to be identical to what it was in the original FFVII?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The game is really good. The texture work is really bad in a lot of areas. You have these really detailed characters and lighting mixed in with environments that sometimes look a generation old almost or older.

Last edited:

Shouta

Just started and yeah, I noticed the textures not loading the higher res ones? It seems like it might be a bug since the game looks amazing in some parts. I'm really liking the adjusted story bits and the additional banter so far. JP voice-acting is a bit better overall though the script has a tad different feel between the JP and EN versions. It's largely the same content but phrasing and quips are a little different.

Malakhov

Banned
Man I wish I could see all this texture stuff but I can't,
must be why I wasted a shitload of time just running by stupid crates I had to smash for a key.

base

Banned
10 hours into the game now. It feels a bit better, but it hasnt been any challenge so far.
I'm playing on Hard right now (it's like New Game Plus). It's challenging. No items available, I have to spare MP for Cure and Raise.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

LordKasual

Banned
8 hours in. Initial impressions time, seeing as i'd have been done with Midgar and onto the world map by this point in the original.........

"Midgar Only" / "This isn't the full game" impressions:

....Meh, fuck it. Don't care anymore, i'm on board.

I was honestly worried, but now that i'm actually playing this, I feel like what we've gained from the slower pace here is absolutely worth it.

I was expecting to be annoyed by the slower pace of the overall narrative, but honestly there's so much more going on this time that there isn't any time to miss/get impatient for anything. It's not only Midgar that's being fleshed out here -- it's literally every aspect of the original game, but most importantly the characters.

But the thing that's surprising here is that it's not just the supporting characters that are getting fleshed out -- it's the main characters too. Cloud and Barrett in particular, the image around them is far more dynamic this time than it was in the original.....and it feels odd to say that in a game that only includes like 30% of the original story but it's true. The first few hours, i kept expecting old jokes/nods to happen at certain places, and was getting disappointed when I didn't see them....only for them to appear in a completely different, FAR better realized situation for delivery, and it feels amazing.

At this point, i'm fully along for the ride -- i'm not even paying attention to what i know is supposed to happen because i keep getting pleasantly surprised with where it's going.

Texture / Load-in issues
I was completely baffled watching videos like Digital Foundry show footage of these texture issues and just kind of glance over them like "Yeah it's really bad but kinda not?"

I get it now, you'll understand when you play the game, probably. It doesn't detract from the visuals as much as you'd think it would.

if it wasn't a bug, then i assume the game is just short on resources and something had to give. It's not NEARLY as jarring in-game as it is in stills drawing attention to it because honestly, there's alot of sensory information going on in this game. The world is full of objects, people are talking, you're looking at the map, character banter. ect. Also, i saw a few people complaining about some of the backdrops (the graphic they're using for the Plate in the slums).....and honestly, i think it looks amazing. It's essentially like a pre-rendered background assisting the graphics.

Voice Acting

Any time "Why you gotta be such a hardass, bro" can be said in a game like Final Fantasy and actually sound genuine is a moment to truly praise the gods for.

You guys can safely play in English. Tifa's voice isn't annoying anymore (THANK GOD), Barrett is over-the-top but honestly he's really funny (unlike Gladio from FFXV who just sounds weird all the time), the supporting cast is great too.

And this shit blew my mind -- the children even have decent voice acting. Like, even the completely random ones. You guys know what "Anime Children" sound like, right? Well, not here.

Pretty good man. Pretty good.

Last edited:

SantaC

Gold Member
will the game open up later on? It is on rails now, which is kinda expected. But it would be nice to freely explore midgar.

Spokker

if it wasn't a bug, then i assume the game is just short on resources and something had to give. It's not NEARLY as jarring in-game as it is in stills drawing attention to it
If it's not a bug and that's how it's supposed to be, what a giant slap in the face of every player. The whole point of the episodic nature of Remake was that they needed the extra time and resources to recreate a game as huge as FF7. And then it has N64 textures?

I'm willing to give them that it's a bug, and maybe the crisis is making it difficult to get a patch out, but if that's by design then I will not be buying episode 2 until it's $10 during a black Friday sale.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
I think this game was created to showcase how badly HDDs are dragging in-game graphics these days.
The LoD switches are horrible, pop-in is staggering, some areas just look too low poly, when the quality could be evenly gorgeous everywhere..

Last edited:

Collin

Banned
My thoughts, chapter by chapter:

Chapter 1

- Wow, it's the first mission again!
- The graphics and music rule!
- Barret's kind of annoying!
- Surprisingly difficult first boss, that's promising.

Chapter 2

- Fuck, is that Sephiorith? You assholes.
- Fuck are those dementors now?
- Oh no, this is gonna suck isn't it?
- This combats getting a little dull, been fighting dudes for like 90 straight min now.
- Preparing myself for disappointment.

Chapter 3

- OMG that music and those graphics, fuck me, it's beautiful.
- Holy shit look up!!! Looks sick!!!
- Wow, script and performances are seemingly better than expected? It's not Paul Thomas Anderson or anything but the main characters actually talk like human beings in a Square JRPG? Wow, did not expect that. Even Barret has become more tolerable now.
- I was so wrong during chapter 2, I'm in love now.
- Is the combat a little too simple? Maybe.

Chapter 4

- Nah, Combat is actually decently complex, I'm impressed. A hybrid of XIII and XV, taking the best parts and removing the shit from both.
- lol Roche is fucking cornball straight outta a Kingdom Hearts game. Whatever, I'll take it.
- Still impressed at difficulty, did every side-quest and came close to dying a few times. Happy about that.
- Still unsure about these dementors but with everything else this good, I'll let it slide.
- Jesus Christ, Jessie's the horniest FF character I've ever seen and that's saying something.

Excited to keep going!!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just started and yeah, I noticed the textures not loading the higher res ones? It seems like it might be a bug since the game looks amazing in some parts. I'm really liking the adjusted story bits and the additional banter so far. JP voice-acting is a bit better overall though the script has a tad different feel between the JP and EN versions. It's largely the same content but phrasing and quips are a little different.

Does the American version have full Japanese support or just voices? Wondering if the interface and text and everything are fully localized if the system is set to Japanese.

Shouta

Does the American version have full Japanese support or just voices? Wondering if the interface and text and everything are fully localized if the system is set to Japanese.

Just voices in the menu setting but i haven't tried setting my system to JP or using my JP account. I think the JP version might have English and Japanese text in addition to both voices but Gromph Gromph might know better?

Shouta

@Zefah Just tried switching my system language to JP and using my JP account and the text is still in English. So that option isn't there for the US version.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
@Zefah Just tried switching my system language to JP and using my JP account and the text is still in English. So that option isn't there for the US version.

Thanks a lot! I ordered a copy from Amazon.co.jp since that was the case with the demo, and glad I did. Too bad since both FFXV and XII Remaster on PS4 were fully multilingual.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moogle11

Banned
I’m pretty damn impressed by this so far. Just a bit into chapter 3 and going to dive back in now. Looks great, lots of nostalgia and loving the combat system. I just can’t enjoy turn-based combat anymore (especially old school menu driven ones) so this is a huge improvement. Hell I didn’t really like that type of gameplay back in the day, just few other genres had decent stories and character development so I put up with it. Now I’m getting the story and characters with gameplay I actually have fun with.

Top Bottom