• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why does every NPC in this game feel like they don't belong in this universe? They all look like their from a different game.

I felt the exact same thing in FFXV. Probably just modern Square design aesthetic that pulls a bit too much from the real world for its characters and places them in fantastical settings without making them feel like they're from there.

psorcerer

Banned
Have load times been slow for folks? I swapped my plain ol'PS4's HDD to an SDD awhile back and I've barely noticed any load time for the game right now. :pie_thinking:

Yep. Saves and loads are pretty slow.
The game is riddled with "load hiding" narrow corridors and passages.

Manus

I felt the exact same thing in FFXV. Probably just modern Square design aesthetic that pulls a bit too much from the real world for its characters and places them in fantastical settings without making them feel like they're from there.

It's so odd too since few NPCs will look fine and seem like they fit well, but others are rough. Really takes me out of the game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Pausing amid realtime combat to use powers and give squadmate commands reminds me of mass effect trilogy gameplay. I like it a lot.

*raises flame shield against mass effect haters*

YukiOnna

Done for the night after a 6 hour session. Loving every moment of this game. The expanded characterization on the Avalanche members really is worth it. Glad the Remake also still has the awkward/silly tone here and there and it's cool that the SQ has a minimal affect and teaches you more about the world or you get some nice incentives out of it.

The motorbike chase was crazy. Game in its style definitely gives Advent Children vibes. Roche is fun.

Pantz

Love all the curse words. It really impressed me in the original.
Even from the random NPC's
jYgGqgs.jpg
1st and 3rd line from grumpy old guy.
Can't wait to meet Cid.

Zog

Banned
I am going to guess that the Final Fantasy series won't be going back to turn based combat.

PanzerAzel

Combat in this game just feels like a chaotic mess. I hate it more the longer I play. Would help if defending wasn't so slow.
Agreed.

It’s why I restarted in Classic and haven’t looked back. Normal’s doable but feels too frantic and inefficient. With Classic I can pay attention to abilities and spells and let the game do the menial chip damage. Yeah sometimes the AI is dumb (defending too much) but it’s worth it. I often find myself getting so focused on manually attacking/defending/evading that I forget to look at my ATB gauge. Then add two others on top of it? It’s a chaotic clusterfuck. It’s a hybrid that feels like it’s conjoining two systems that are incompatible.

Unfortunately Classic defaults to easy. I wish the enemies had 2x the health. It’s a different method of play so I don’t know why they needed to fuck with difficulty.

Still wish they had retained a full turn-based system ala the original, but Classic is better than nothing. I hate playing this as an action game.

Last edited:

Boneless

If it's not a bug and that's how it's supposed to be, what a giant slap in the face of every player. The whole point of the episodic nature of Remake was that they needed the extra time and resources to recreate a game as huge as FF7. And then it has N64 textures?

I'm willing to give them that it's a bug, and maybe the crisis is making it difficult to get a patch out, but if that's by design then I will not be buying episode 2 until it's $10 during a black Friday sale.l

I am sure SE will miss you as a customer. I'd like to see it patched too but overall the concensus is, and rightfuly so that this game is graphically amazing bar a couple of textures.

Woodchipper

I just completed Chapter 7 and I absolutely love the game.

I never played the original but I watched a friend play it so I’m well familiar with the characters, the music and so on.

Man, the music... it’s fucking insane how good it is. It’s also insane how well they’ve been able to maintain the atmosphere and overall looks from the original. I mean, it looks exactly like I imagined Midgar looked if it was a real place.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Can't lie I'm only a couple hours and and the nostalgia feels I was totally crapping on are just overwhelming me. I kind of feel like the game play itself is kinda trash or at least I'm too much of a noob but it's just kinda meh similar to FF15

If I had to describe this game to somebody I would use the same comparison I do with the movie Avatar, it's not a movie it's an experience. FF7 Remake is an experience!

Dacon

Banned
Just gonna copy paste some of my thoughts from twitter:

I'm really enjoying the game so far, the world looks great, the characterization is good, and the combat fantastic. There's just niggling issues here and there annoying me. The dementors are dumb, and Aerith's va is not the best.

I'm also a little sad that some classic lines are missing here and there. Aerith's VA feels like another Vanille situation, where sometimes she sounds really good and others where she sounds terrible, like she's trying too hard to do a cute anime voice and it doesn't work. I'm also not a big fan of how Sephiroth keeps interjecting himself into classic moments. Instead of Cloud's first meeting with Aerith being an intimate moment between the two of the, now it's shared with Sephiroth and the dementors.

Also, is Roche a gay? He acts like a gay. He reminds me of Genesis with the random stupidity that comes out of his mouth hole.

Stupid question got the deluxe edition but didn’t get carbuncle,anybody get theirs?

nevermind found out its digital deluxe exclusive.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
There are moments where the game is perfect. Cloud is spot on. The slums are amazing. But then there is stupid shit. I hate games where it's slow walking while characters talk. I hate side Quest's where you round up cats. The ghosts are stupid as fuck. Pretty much any Sephiroth scene is stupid.

The game is god tier when it sticks closest to the original or is elaborating on a seed from the original. When it tries to be original it falls flat.

Dacon

Banned
There are moments where the game is perfect. Cloud is spot on. The slums are amazing. But then there is stupid shit. I hate games where it's slow walking while characters talk. I hate side Quest's where you round up cats. The ghosts are stupid as fuck. Pretty much any Sephiroth scene is stupid.

The game is god tier when it sticks closest to the original or is elaborating on a seed from the original. When it tries to be original it falls flat.

The game has some definite pacing issues bc of all the stupid padding. I just want to get to the next big scene bc im on such a high from the last, but nope time to wander slowly around the slums as Aerith talks to EVERYONE. Oh hey we're finally at her house cool things are back on track TIME TO PICK FLOWERS. BITCH LET ME GET TO THE STORY.

FREE ME NIGGA

FREE

ME

Spokker

I am sure SE will miss you as a customer. I'd like to see it patched too but overall the concensus is, and rightfuly so that this game is graphically amazing bar a couple of textures.
It's not a couple of textures. Textures are low resolution and blurry throughout the game. It's not something you have to put the camera into a weird position to see.

It reminds me of the Doom 3 look. Something like a simple control panel has trademark stairstep low resolution lines.

Arkage

Banned
Also, is Roche a gay? He acts like a gay. He reminds me of Genesis with the random stupidity that comes out of his mouth hole.

Gays don't act like Roche. Roche acts like a Kingdom Hearts character.

It's not a couple of textures. Textures are low resolution and blurry throughout the game. It's not something you have to put the camera into a weird position to see.

It reminds me of the Doom 3 look. Something like a simple control panel has trademark stairstep low resolution lines.

No, there are not low resolution blurry textures "throughout the game." It is in some very specific areas. One of them being the scrap heap piles, one being a set of particular doors, another being some types of cups/bottles. Those are literally the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. Stop exaggerating.

Last edited:

Spokker

No, there are not low resolution blurry textures "throughout the game." It is in some very specific areas. One of them being the scrap heap piles, one being a set of particular doors, another being some types of cups/bottles. Those are literally the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. Stop exaggerating.

This is a main area where you are personally taken to by Aerith and receive multiple quests. The barrel is not only blurry, but low poly. This is absolutely awful for a current gen game and looks more like a remastered PS3 game. The wall, door and ground textures are also last gen. Looks terrible on a big screen 4K TV. Night areas only look better because the lighting and darkness covers it all up.

It's like they put everything into the main characters.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Gays don't act like Roche. Roche acts like a Kingdom Hearts character

Jesus dude, clearly I was referencing all of the homoerotic dialogue he has.

The low res textures are through the entire game. It's not some phenomenon contained to a few areas. I think it's a bug, I actually watched some textures load in at one point. He's not exaggerating.

Esppiral

Anyone know what PS4 Pro enhancments FF7R has beyond HDR support? Higher resolution, higher framerate, faster load times, etc.?

I am playing on base pS4 and it supports HDR.

BTW some of the assets and textures are incredibly low quality is that a bug or something?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Just got through the bike ride section. Cloud's portrayal this time around seems to similar to Squall (who I hated), but maybe my memory is not so good. I do adore the rest of the cast (Tifa, I'm looking at you).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
For a second today, I considered holding off on playing this until right before the next episode came out, but I couldn’t. I love FFVII too much.

I know when I beat it I’m gonna regret it though and it’s gonna feel weird with what likely will be like a 2 year wait for the next episode.

Lethal01

This is a main area where you are personally taken to by Aerith and receive multiple quests. The barrel is not only blurry, but low poly. This is absolutely awful for a current gen game and looks more like a remastered PS3 game. The wall, door and ground textures are also last gen. Looks terrible on a big screen 4K TV. Night areas only look better because the lighting and darkness covers it all up.
It's like they put everything into the main characters.

Yeah there is definitely a lot of spots in the game that are lacking in the graphics department, really hope it get's improved and hopefully comes to pc. That said most of the game is a visual treat and puts me in such a good I laugh and go there's another one of those crappy textures with , lots of it because of the graphics but even when it doesn't have that it still has it's phenomenal art design.

I do feel like a lot of the talk makes the textures sound like bigger issues than it is since 100x more time is spent being impressed by how the art/graphics are rather than laughing at some bad textures.

Last edited:

GenericUser

about 10 hrs in - don't really like it that much. Besides the technical issues (blurry textures) and questionable art design (world and its citizens looks waaay less steampunky then in the original), certain scenarios within the game just overstay their welcome WAAAY too much. Like the Reactor 5 bombing mission. Maybe I'm spoiled because I use the original as a reference here, but they took a 30 minute section of the game and turned it into a 3 hour section, it feels boring - especially if you already know what will happen.

I really wish they would have made the complete game and not split it into parts and kept the tight pacing of the original. Would have been a better game imo.

Top Bottom