• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

TheAssist

One thing I also really enjoy about this game is, that it finally restores some confidence into SE Japan. FF 15 had some great ideas, amazing visual design and overall a lot of potential. But it simply failed in execution for many many reasons. Now it seems square is somewhat on track again and honestly I am just super excited for what they are doing next with the franchise. Be it part 2 of the remake or eventually FF 16. That feels really good.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
One thing I also really enjoy about this game is, that it finally restores some confidence into SE Japan. FF 15 had some great ideas, amazing visual design and overall a lot of potential. But it simply failed in execution for many many reasons. Now it seems square is somewhat on track again and honestly I am just super excited for what they are doing next with the franchise. Be it part 2 of the remake or eventually FF 16. That feels really good.
Yes as a longtime fan it really felt like a classic FF game, something the more recent mainline entries have been moving away from.

D.Final

Banned

Currently I have always had enormous trust in Square Enix.
And in fact as a longtime fan of the saga I was extremely satisfied with Final Fantasy XV, an exceptional and incredibly beautiful game, which has become one of my favorite chapters of the entire Final Fantasy saga.
(together with FFVI and FFIX)
And definitely my favorite since FFIX.

Obviously FFVII Remake also has remarkable qualities, but overall I preferred my experience with FFXV much more if I have to be honest.
(in fact the BS of FFVII Remake is also inspired by that of FFXV at the end)

However, I hope that Final Fantasy XV will be taken as an example for the future Final Fantasy XVI.

Last edited:

wvnative

Dang those people on youtube make the
bahumut
fight look easy. When I fight him everything goes wrong, I really wish we had two magnify materia for haste+manawall and i really wish we had simplistic gambits for the AI like "keep distance" or "stay in arcane ward circle"

I can get him halfway down but even with several mp ups on everyone, i start running out of mp, or I can't keep up healing and it just starts breaking down. And despite wailing him with thundagas he seems to rarely go into pressure state and when he does i'm out of atb for focus thrust/strike to raise his pressure gauge.

But i am going to kill him

Last edited:

SantaC

Anyone should try complete the 7 star challenge before going into hard mode.

The item you get is insanely OP

I can't stop listening to the OST, it's amazing how many versions there are to each theme.
Why it's enough to make a man bust a Move!
wgtqzpa0azglirokvurr.gif

Moogle11

Banned
Did you beat Jules on the pull-ups?? I just can't... Fuck that guy

I noped out against Jay. Took me a long time to beat Jules in squats and just didn’t have the patience tough out the pull ups sine I hate and suck at rhythm stuff and don’t chase platinums anyway.

Nymphae

Banned
Man the pull ups game seems busted. It's far easier than the squats, until the pro level at which point it becomes far harder because of the relentless CPU. I wish I could just bang these rhythms out fast instead of having to build a gradual speed, I want to crush this and it's hard to keep it slow. I realize this is part of the minigame, just saying, as a face button Frequency vet, I'm getting the itch to crank these out lol. I'd crush this fool if I could go ludicrous speed.

There seems to be a very thin margin for success, one slip and you are definitely not winning, and so far on my best run he kept right up with me until I slipped with like 3 seconds left. The load time to simply exit that game and retry is infuriatingly long I find.

So close to being done this chapter I can't wait to move on.

TTOOLL

So many great moments with this game in hard mode goddamn. Just killed Abzu in chapter 14 and it was crazy.

In my first attempt he was almost dying when Tifa missed the limit break (the motherfucker jumped) and then he wiped out my party with that aoe attack.

In the second one he almost succeed again on destroying me. Only Barret left, low health and limit break ready, Ifrit says his goodbye and then Barret finishes the job with his limit. Except he doesn't, I had to hit him literally 3 times more and then he died.

Finished with all characters at 1 HP. I jumped from the couch lmao at almost midnight here lmao.

Collin

Banned
So many great moments with this game in hard mode goddamn. Just killed Abzu in chapter 14 and it was crazy.

In my first attempt he was almost dying when Tifa missed the limit break (the motherfucker jumped) and then he wiped out my party with that aoe attack.

In the second one he almost succeed again on destroying me. Only Barret left, low health and limit break ready, Ifrit says his goodbye and then Barret finishes the job with his limit. Except he doesn't, I had to hit him literally 3 times more and then he died.

Finished with all characters at 1 HP. I jumped from the couch lmao at almost midnight here lmao.

After getting my Plat, I gotta agree that fight gave me some trouble. Unexpected but Chapter 14 Abzu fight on Hard Mode was the most times I had to refight a boss.

I bet the Pride and Joy rush was technically harder but I happened to luck out and beat it first try. (Thank god I cast Manawall right before Bahamut did Megaflare or else that would have been it for my party)

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I got 46 and the fucker was 45!
One of the YT comments really made me laugh "Fuck you Jules you fucking male lesbian!"

Holy God
You are great.

What does this mean? Naked Tifa movies?

D.Final D.Final Did you played Nier Automata? What are your thoughts?

Naked Tifa :messenger_smiling_hearts:
It would be awesome :messenger_smiling_hearts:
Now let's go to call Johnny

For me, Nier Automata is definitely one of the best games of this generation. I loved it.
An openworld action game that always manages to surprise thanks to its always unpredictable gameplay thanks to the creative use of the camera, and to a really beautiful and ingenious plot.

I defeated Abzu, and his little children's, Chapter 14 on Hard mode at the first attempt.
And yes, you have to be very careful because there are many, and often they can interrupt your actions and also of your allies.
Its final special technique, without active protections, causes extensive damage.
(also in standard mode)

And in this sense, even the Boss of chapter 16 (on Hard mode) inside the base of the Shinra, in the Hojo laboratory where he also keeps Red XIII locked up. That Boss Experiment, together with his infinite minions in Hard mode, can give problems, also because the space is small and often the camera is not stable and the lock on enemies happens to change and move very often.

P.S .: I liked the idea of making a second battle against Abzu in this Remake.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just killed Abzu in chapter 14 and it was crazy.
After getting my Plat, I gotta agree that fight gave me some trouble. Unexpected but Chapter 14 Abzu fight on Hard Mode was the most times I had to refight a boss.
I defeated Abzu, and his little children's, Chapter 14 on Hard mode at the first attempt.
And yes, you have to be very careful because there are many, and often they can interrupt your actions and also of your allies.
Its final special technique, without active protections, causes extensive damage.
(also in standard mode)
I think that was one of my most fun ones. Throughout the level I was doing fire+magnify on all the little rats, so when I got to the boss I had fun unloading firaga + magnify on all the adds. It was glorious.

:messenger_fire:🐀 :messenger_fire:🐀 :messenger_fire:🐀 :messenger_fire:🐀 :messenger_fire:🐀 :messenger_fire:🐀

Kev Kev

The one that gives you full limit break at the start of every fight
what trial? the shinra combat sim?

Aeriths' English VA is so adorable

she's absolutely perfect in the role. all the va's did an over-the-top, amazing job. 10/10 on the va's for me

bahumut
fight look easy. When I fight him everything goes wrong, I really wish we had two magnify materia for haste+manawall and i really wish we had simplistic gambits for the AI like "keep distance" or "stay in arcane ward circle"

I can get him halfway down but even with several mp ups on everyone, i start running out of mp, or I can't keep up healing and it just starts breaking down. And despite wailing him with thundagas he seems to rarely go into pressure state and when he does i'm out of atb for focus thrust/strike to raise his pressure gauge.

i really wish my team wouldn't go charging in like a bunch of assholes when i leave them alone for like 4 seconds. yeah i agree, a system where they would keep distance would be very welcome

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
bahumut

Regular VR fight or hard mode?

Here's my best time so far.

Don't bother with the pressure building skills. DPS the shit out of him. Max magic on Aerith and attack on everyone else. Use ATB Assist and Skill Master to ensure that everyone has enough ATB to do stuff. You can also stun lock Bahamut for the entire fight if you just keep hitting him with ga-magic.

For a more cheesy fight, use Barret and Aerith, and use one character while the other has Bahamut's attention. When Bahamut turns his attention back to you, switch characters. Use the steadfast guard materia to take less damage and to gain ATB while not active.

wvnative

Regular VR fight or hard mode?

Here's my best time so far.

Don't bother with the pressure building skills. DPS the shit out of him. Max magic on Aerith and attack on everyone else. Use ATB Assist and Skill Master to ensure that everyone has enough ATB to do stuff. You can also stun lock Bahamut for the entire fight if you just keep hitting him with ga-magic.

For a more cheesy fight, use Barret and Aerith, and use one character while the other has Bahamut's attention. When Bahamut turns his attention back to you, switch characters. Use the steadfast guard materia to take less damage and to gain ATB while not active.

I was referring to the regular VR fight, but your advice is still helpful, I beat him a few hours after making that post and I am planning to do something that goes against most advice, i'm planning to tackle the hard mode gauntlet without getting the weapon upgrades from a hard mode playthrough, I want that accessory for my hard mode run. Gonna have to grind my other Magic up materia.

Dude your fight in that video is awesome. Nice music too. Might be watching that a few times.

Jon Neu

Banned
I started to play the game and I’m two hours into it.

The first impressions; the fighting gameplay seems fine, but so far is super easy. The graphics are a hit and miss, some textures are downright embarassing. Really dissapointed in that aspect.

Also, the mannerisms and the looks of some characters are cringe as fuck. I can cope with women being kawaii, but even the fat dude being kawaii it’s just... And Tifa doing all those exaggerated idol like movements all the time...

So far is good, but not as good as I expected.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Watched some of Max's video whilst playing. Game looks really good. Graphics go from poor to really great character models. Above Advent Children honestly

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so to get all trophies, like beating the game on hard, do you have to play through all the chapters? or is it just the final one?

Lethal01

I started to play the game and I’m two hours into it.

The first impressions; the fighting gameplay seems fine, but so far is super easy. The graphics are a hit and miss, some textures are downright embarassing. Really dissapointed in that aspect.

Also, the mannerisms and the looks of some characters are cringe as fuck. I can cope with women being kawaii, but even the fat dude being kawaii it’s just... And Tifa doing all those exaggerated idol like movements all the time...

So far is good, but not as good as I expected.
The game's normal mode isn't hard but the challenge will definitely ramp up when you aren't in the tutorial stages.
If you want to have a challenge even on normal mode then try using no items at all. Laying off the weapon upgrades might be good too.

The English voice acting definitely doesn't match a lot of the character movement, the actors were fighting a very uphill battle the movements don't get reanimated and the original movement is "extremely Japanese". If you are up for it playing in the original language is generally better since it didn't have to go through the nightmare that is translation so everything feels more in sync.

I generally thought the game was amazing the entire way through regardless of the texture issues, But there a couple really bad sky boxes so brace yourself.

Nymphae

Banned
Just got into Chapter 16. That wall climb was beautiful, and the shot of Shinra tower with Cloud standing in it's shadow looking up is just perfect.
Had to stand there for a bit and just look around and be thankful that this thing exists. Come on haters how often is something like this done? It's that scene brought to more vivid life than you coudl ever have imagined when you played it over 20 years ago. I understand it's not the game everyone wanted, but god damn there is stuff in here that is just magical.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Hard Mode is really really fun. you can just skip the cutscenes and have it be all battles. plus you keep all your levels and everything from the first playthrough, like a NG+. the no items rule is very cool. you have to be more strategic. you have to be better at avoiding attacks. Pray and Chakra, two materia i ignored entirely in my first playthrough, are now super important. if i could do it all over again i would have maxed out a few of those.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got the plat of this game. Loved it. The pull-ups weren't bad, only one retry. :p

Hard mode on the other hand, yeesh. Probably the hardest FF to plat for me (that's not FFIX or FFX-2, not including MMOs), but the longest is probably FFXII until now.

Also, I say the cutscenes are very good and I really liked the characters. It got me thinking that Toriyama is a terrible main director, but if he's regulated to co-director and focused on cutscenes, it will come out really good (FFX, FFVIIR).

#Phonepunk#

Banned
hard mode is a lot of fun. the no items and no MP recharge at benches rule is cool. there are some MP charging materia you can use, plus of course, the boxes that appear everywhere (and even respawn if you save & quit) that you smash which have mako shards that fill your MP between fights. i ended up selling all my potions and consumables from the first playthrough and buying a bunch of materia to play with. without the use of items you have to rely entirely on magic, as well as figuring out the neat little tricks you can pull with materia linking. it's dope.

im in chapter 3 and already the very first side quest bosses are giving me a hard time. this game is definitely harder on hard. Wrath Hound just one shot-ed both Cloud and Tifa in a double ko lol. you really have to play strategically to get anywhere on hard mode. it's a nice challenge.

Last edited:

John Day

Finished the game today. As far as the changes go, i feel myself unnafected by it. I took this as an addition to this saga, as it seems to be their intention, not a 1:1 recreation.

I love this game, pros and cons aside.

That last chapter: Nomura based indeed 🤣.

Seeing the ending and the credits roll fet so good, felt accomplished. This romp ended where it had to end. I can see where people come that didn’t like those last few encounters lore wise, but i went with it, balls deep.

I see myself replaying the original a bit and playing this again way later down the line, probably before the next part releases to get back into the hype train again.

I may be jumping off on this stop, but i’ve got my tickets bought in advance boys, CHOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOO !!!

Edit: Forgot to comment, that ending song is awesome, it fits well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Played through chapter 16 today (didn't do much in the combat simulator). That was a really good chapter. May try and power through the rest of it tomorrow.

Same. Just made it to Chapter 17 and decided to call it a night. I did the three solo challenges in the battle simulator and that was a lot of fun. Just a little over 30 hours in now and I'm sad it's going to be over soon. Might do a Hard mode run.

recma12

Yesterday I
climbed the wall, beat the flying robot and called it a day when I reached Shinra HQ
So I'm pretty far in.
Really like the game, it's very very good. The only thing that bothers me is that it could've been GREAT.
There is a lot of GAME OF THE GENERATION material in there. Character models, combat system, music.

However, a large portion of the game feels (and looks) cheap and half-assed.
It feels like they created a linear 15 hour "Naughty Dog style" game and then someone was like:
"Hey, you guys need to stretch that to 40 hours but you're not getting any more money!"

- they recycled every main area and make you go thru at least twice (sometimes even 3 times if you do sidequests)

- sidequests and the NPCs who give them remind you of Fallout 3 on Xbox 360, they're that outdated

- feels like they made every tunnel, staircase, room or corridor an extra 30% larger just to put some time on the clock, you sometimes run down a linear corridor for 10-15 mins and only get 2 combat encounters.

But I don't even mind the low quality of the fetch quests, I'm rather angry that they kill all sense of urgency.
The 3rd "free roam and sidequest" sequence (before you climb the wall) is especially bad.
Aerith is gone, you finally found a way to face the evil you've been fighting all game ................... and BOOM! let's pick out some music for the peasants on the street and do pull ups.

IMO they tried to make a linear action game/JRPG hybrid and while that works out pretty well for most parts, these genres sometimes collide.
The sense of urgency and pacing is destroyed by the JRPG stuff (sidequests) while the JRPG aspects are handcuffed by the" cinematic experience" aspects (many points of no return, no random encounters, invisible walls).

That said, I am truly excited to see what they can do in FF7R2, I will be there day one.

Nickolaidas

Finally beat the game last night and I think SE did a great job. I will probably post later some thoughts about the ending on the spoilers thread but some spoiler-free impressions:

• The music in this game is incredible. There are a few new tracks that I dislike but in general, OMG this is one of the best OST ever. Specially some battle themes and most of the music played during story scenes are just mindblowing.
  • The characters look and sound great. I honestly thing this is the best representation that the main cast ever had. Really like how they build on their personalities using small moments and casual conversations instead of artificial big exposition dumps.
  • Combat is very good. It works specially well when fighting in boss fights, which are handled in a fantastic way. My only complain is aerial combat which never really works well. I hope this gets improved in the sequel.
  • Side quests were okish. They are generally very simple and some of them are quite bad (like the one with the cats in sector 7) but in general are ok to me as they made you explore new areas or fight new enemies. Also there are few of them so I never felt like it's something too invasive and they helped to make the city feel alive, like there are other things going on apart from the main quest.
  • The representation of the OG scenes is incredibly good, far beyond my expectations.
  • New plot elements good. I think they work very well when they are used to expand on some characters (like the Avalanche crew) or flesh out more Midgar. Not so happy about some chapters which felt too long, specially Chapters 5 and 6 got a bit boring to me and I think they could have been made into a single shorter chapter.
  • Very happy that they haven't been afraid of embracing the more weird parts of the original game, like the whole Wall Market episode is just awesome. I was afraid they would try to get too serious and dark but they kept all this crazy things there. They even went all out and expanded it (like Hell house now converted into an epic boss fight)
  • Graphically the game goes from very good character models, scenarios and lightning in some areas to some others which are not so great and a few spots that look bad. But in general It's a beautiful game. I think they achieved the feeling that Midgar is a massive and oppressive city with the plate in the sky constantly remembering you where you are.
  • About the ending, I think I still need to digest some parts of it. Overall I like it but I think it's not very well executed. I understand why it's polemic and some people is disappointed though. Sequels will tell how good or bad it is.
A solid 9/10 for me.
  • The Air buster theme is just incredible, and truly makes me go YEAH! It's on now!
  • Yeah, the small moments are meant to warm you up to the characters, the big moments are meant to make your heart skip beats.
  • Combat is excellent - a literal fusion between Devil May Cry and Baldur's Gate 1
  • I was skeptical on the plot changes - still am in some ways - but it will all depends on how future installments will go.
  • I expected to be cringey AF with the portrayal of cross-dressers and homosexuals, but they really succeeded in portraying them with a respectful eccentricity. The Tifa/Andrea scene was especially amazing.
  • Some textures suck donkey dick. Fact. Hope the PS5 version will fix that.
  • The ending was indeed divisive, but it is expected when you change a story which is considered the Holy Grail of JRPGs. Like I said, we need to see more to judge.

I also have an issue with the relationship between Aerith and Tifa. In the OG they don't really get along at all, for a while. But here they're like besties straight away? Makes no sense.

I had a friend who one night when we were out for coffee introduced me to a couple who were his friends. I clicked with his male friend from the get-go and we were laughing like crazy at our jokes within minutes. I ended up becoming much bigger friends with him than with my original buddy.

Some people click right away, and Aerith and Tifa are such a case. I can believe it. I love the fact that they are secretly rivaling each other for Cloud's affections, but they truly become friends due to their shared hardships, similar traits in their personalities. Aerith's selfless demeanor wins over Tifa, who is reluctant at first of making her part of the team … to the point where she feels guilty afterwards.

nowhat

So I'm now doing a second playthrough, mostly to check out the Japanese voicework, but also to do a more complete run. I didn't miss many side quests (and even for those that I did miss, I really didn't miss anything), but I did miss many materias. And the elemental materia, oh boy it's great.

But it's so great that I want more! I know you can get one en route to the section 5 Mako station, but are there more available somewhere?

Top Bottom