• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake TGS Trailer

Green_Eyes

My question is, how can they be padding content when they can't even release the full game at once? Feels like they just wanna milk this remake as much as possible. Rather than adding new characters and scenarios they should be adding more of what isn't make the cut.

Reactions: Fuz

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
My question is, how can they be padding content when they can't even release the full game at once? Feels like they just wanna milk this remake as much as possible. Rather than adding new characters and scenarios they should be adding more of what isn't make the cut.

Playing up until you leave Midgar is a huge part of game in the original. Its no small thing. However, we have to assume that a lot of what was there in the original has been removed/cut as well, due to just not working with the new visuals/story. Some stuff they likely wish they could remove but can't due to fans screaming murder.

So, its likely they will focus on story beats and major side quests from the original, with a few extras.

But don't forget AS WELL, that Midgar can be done in about 3-4 hours, if you know what you're doing. So its likely they are padding this out because that just wouldn't fly. Can you imagine if they released this after so long and it was 5 hours long? The internet would explode. This is a game well known for length, I myself broke the clock in the game. Sure, it doesn't have to be that long, but it CAN be, due to the grind. As of right now, we don't even know if there IS a grind. We have no idea. So its possible that encounters are few and far between, even.

Aggelos

Since TGS kicked off, as you'd expect, plethora of gameplay....

4Gamer

Dengeki

Famitsu

Gamer.ne.jp

Game Watch Impress JP

IGN Japan

Last edited:
you confuse nitpicking of a couple of seconds of new footage with "hate" most people will find lots of stuff to love about the game and the people now bitching (out of nervousness more than anything) will be the first to buy the game lol
I borderline love everything about it, for the most part ff7 already got the remaster a hardcore minority of people expected and wanted via mods and ai upscaled backrounds.. so everyone gets his remake.
It literally couldnt work out more perfectly for SE and FF7, the timing of ai upscale mods for a remaster being ready at borderline the same time we get the big AAA remake as well lol its perfect.

This and more this. I can't stress how lame some of these nitpicking are, they're using it as an excuse to hate on the game, and like you pointed out nervous for not getting their way of being wrong. Here's some common nitpicks:

"It's not like the original" - So what? I love the original more than anyone, but if I want the original I have the original, I don't want a simple remaster, I already have that, as a true fan I want to explore more of the lore of its characters and its world, in other words I want more the original cannot offer!

"The game is censored look at Tifa black sports bra" - Look at Aeris cleavage in her red dress, look at Shiva showing more skin than the original. Censored? More like uncensored!

"The game is episodic, I don't want to pay $300 for this game" - What's wrong with paying that much for a game you love? This isn't some budget remaster like FF8, If you think that much, you're either broke or not a fan enough. Like I said before I would pay triple that amount if the game blows me away, some games today cost more via dlc and microtransactions, I don't think asking $300 for a game of this quality is unreasonable at all.

"The battle system, it's not turned-based" - Fair criticism I suppose, but that's totally based on taste, and as much as I loved the original turn based system, when I imagined these characters battling way back then, I've always imagined them battling in real time action, not taking turns. So in a way, this new battle system is truer to the way it was meant to be without the limitations of the time, and to be honest the only thing I'm going to miss is the little victory dance at the end of the battle.

"The voice acting is terrible" - The voices are fine, what do you expect them to sound like, like Yoda? I never liked Xenoblade british accents, but you never hear anyone complain about that.

"It's Square Enix" - OK so valid point, their track record isn't the best, but every once in a while they'll surprise us with a gem like Nier Automata or Dragon Quest XI, so I'm not worried.

Am I missing any other nitpicks? Because I'm sure there's other nitpicks out there, but in the end of the day they're the vocal minority and only fooling themselves out a potential game of the year.

D.Final

Banned
Nice to see Don Corneo and was that holographic display of President Shinra?(Father of Rufus)

Yes.
He is President Shinra.

Since TGS kicked off, as you'd expect, plethora of gameplay....

4Gamer

Dengeki

Famitsu

Gamer.ne.jp

Game Watch Impress JP

IGN Japan

Great :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

This and more this. I can't stress how lame some of these nitpicking are, they're using it as an excuse to hate on the game, and like you pointed out nervous for not getting their way of being wrong. Here's some common nitpicks:

"It's not like the original" - So what? I love the original more than anyone, but if I want the original I have the original, I don't want a simple remaster, I already have that, as a true fan I want to explore more of the lore of its characters and its world, in other words I want more the original cannot offer!

"The game is censored look at Tifa black sports bra" - Look at Aeris cleavage in her red dress, look at Shiva showing more skin than the original. Censored? More like uncensored!

"The game is episodic, I don't want to pay $300 for this game" - What's wrong with paying that much for a game you love? This isn't some budget remaster like FF8, If you think that much, you're either broke or not a fan enough. Like I said before I would pay triple that amount if the game blows me away, some games today cost more via dlc and microtransactions, I don't think asking $300 for a game of this quality is unreasonable at all.

"The battle system, it's not turned-based" - Fair criticism I suppose, but that's totally based on taste, and as much as I loved the original turn based system, when I imagined these characters battling way back then, I've always imagined them battling in real time action, not taking turns. So in a way, this new battle system is truer to the way it was meant to be without the limitations of the time, and to be honest the only thing I'm going to miss is the little victory dance at the end of the battle.

"The voice acting is terrible" - The voices are fine, what do you expect them to sound like, like Yoda? I never liked Xenoblade british accents, but you never hear anyone complain about that.

"It's Square Enix" - OK so valid point, their track record isn't the best, but every once in a while they'll surprise us with a gem like Nier Automata or Dragon Quest XI, so I'm not worried.

Am I missing any other nitpicks? Because I'm sure there's other nitpicks out there, but in the end of the day they're the vocal minority and only fooling themselves out a potential game of the year.

I agree.

Hype over 9999 :messenger_smiling_hearts:

YukiOnna

Thank you.

And Tifa's tits are fine.

GHG

So you watched literally NONE of the gameplay videos posted in this thread huh?

giphy.gif

royox

So you watched literally NONE of the gameplay videos posted in this thread huh?
Walking on hallways, scripted events, mashing X against normal soldiers and 30 minutes button mashing against the scorpion. All this with hours and hours of cinematics in-between.

Still can't believe the game will look this good on normal PS4. The downgrade will be epic.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Walking on hallways, scripted events, mashing X against normal soldiers and 30 minutes button mashing against the scorpion. All this with hours and hours of cinematics in-between.

Still can't believe the game will look this good on normal PS4. The downgrade will be epic.

What you call "button mashing" others call "gameplay".

kyoji

I will be playing this day 1 on the 4. I couldnt imagine forcing myself to wait or hope for a future release on another platform. Hype would kill me having to wait that long knowing the game is out in the wild already.

It feels weird to be genuinely hyped for a Final Fantasy game again.
Same here man, I had no interest in this game when it was announced and now I'm really looking forward to it. It just looks better and better.

Only part I'm really not sure about is that splitting the game into different parts thing.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
On a gameplay perspective this game won't be bad. But on a writing perspective that is were people should be worried, it will be scripted for teenagers but everyone playing it is gonna be 30 year old men.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
"The game is episodic, I don't want to pay $300 for this game"
how about "Looks good but I will wait until the whole thing is released to play"

like lol imagine this logic applied to movie franchises. "The Avengers looks good but I'm going to wait until the final Avengers movie is released in 2078 before watching them."

Zotaku

Is it too much to hope that they won't stay entirely faithful to the original script, so that a certain demise may be avoided....?

Aggelos

Gamespark.jp

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

Combat gameplay reminds me a lot of some sort of updated take on Seiken Densetsu 3's (Trials of Mana) combat (which is a good thing in my opinion). Real time, but characters go into a battle mode, can pause and give direction to party members/use abilities, or switch to another character, and a bar building up for additional commands. The main difference is characters don't slow down in combat mode (sometimes an annoyance in SD3), and battle activity seems to continue even when abilities are being used as opposed to it pausing to show the effect. Fitting, since the Mana series started as an action spinoff to FF, and it practically looks like we've come full circle with the action RPG combat coming to the main series in a proper manner as opposed to what they did in FFXV.

acm2000

The Dialogue and voice acting makes this seem like the most expensive b-movie ever, at least try to drag it kicking and screaming into the modern era.

Top Bottom