• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake vs. Final Fantasy XV

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 56 17.3%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 268 82.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

Yl2cdRt.jpg

Boss Mog

I liked FFXV more than I thought I would but then again I played the Royal Edition which had a lot of extra content fitted into the main storyline. I heard the vanilla version was quite bare towards the end. I'll give it to FF7R despite some pacing issues and combat issues the game was top notch and interesting twist with the story has me excited for the next one.

D.Final

Banned
Final Fantasy XV for me is one of the best games of this generation.
Much underrated , especially by those who haven't even tried the Royal Edition or the Windows Edition.
(the most complete version of the game)
Obviously Final Fantasy VII Remake is also very nice to play, but comparing the experiences I had with both games, I must say that I was much more satisfied with the content offered by FFXV.
(considering that I platinum both games, and I like both of them)

8nknZJX.gif

Final Fantasy XV wins above all for the amount of content offered, and for a full action battle system, with spectacular team attacks and combo areal, and much more.
And for exploration of the open world, majestic OST, and the game's beautiful dungeons.
Personally one of my favorite Final Fantasy game.

GHxWF0X.jpg

P.S.: And, of course, the final result is already pretty much decided because Final Fantasy VII already has a solid fanbase of more than 20 years.
(difficult to compare equally the fanbase of 2 games from almost different eras, even if the Remake has new elements, solid FFVII fans will obviously vote the Remake)

Last edited:
Final Fantasy XV for me is one of the best games of this generation.
Much underestimated, especially by those who haven't even tried the Royal Edition or the Windows Edition.
(the most complete version of the game)
Obviously Final Fantasy VII Remake is also very nice to play, but comparing the experiences I had with both games, I must say that I was much more satisfied with the content offered by FFXV.
(considering that I platinum both games)

Final Fantasy XV wins above all for the amount of content offered, and for a full action battle system, with spectacular team attacks and combo areal, and much more.
And for exploration of the open world, majestic OST, and the game's beautiful dungeons.
Personally one of my favorite Final Fantasy game

Somehow I knew you were going to pick this, still I miss your Hype over 9999 x 15 = Omnislash!

KiteGr

FF 15 was an unfinished mess.
FF 7 is also unfinished, but in a "more complete and intentional" way.

FF15's story was sold on movies, anime, tons of DLC and mobile crap, where each had important plot points and to be purchased separately.
FF7's story is told in 3 instalments.

FF15 got censored to death from the original concept, removing all references to death worshiping.
FF7 pussied out on some brothel scene, but they made a lot of effort into replacing it with something similar.

FF15's effort to fix it with DLC has been canceled before being completed.
FF7 is more likely to be completed in the upcoming 2 games, but it hasn't happened get.

End result... FF7 part 1 looks more of a game than FF15 that was a salvage project, and is more likely to be completed.

D.Final

Banned
FF 15 was an unfinished mess.
FF 7 is also unfinished, but in a "more complete and intentional" way.

FF15's story was sold on movies, anime, tons of DLC and mobile crap, where each had important plot points and to be purchased separately.

FF15 got censored to death from the original concept, removing all references to death worshiping.
FF7 pussied out on some brothel scene, but they made a lot of effort into replacing it with something similar.

FF15's effort to fix it with DLC has been canceled before being completed.
FF7 is more likely to be completed in the upcoming 2 games, but it hasn't happened get.

End result... FF7 part 1 looks more of a game than FF15 that was a salvage project, and is more likely to be completed.

Final Fantasy XV, with the Royal Edition, is basically complete.
The canceled DLC'S of Luna, Aranea and Noctis are all a different narrations of alternative ending.
So, only an extra, in the end.
(and this is beyond the fact of what you prefer from these two games, or what you like most)

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Given how many "solid" i.e. "purist" FF7 fans dislike the remake, I don't think that statement holds that strongly.

Points of view.
There are those who played Final Fantasy VII as the very first Final Fantasy game.
And characters like Cloud and Tifa have remained in the hearts of many people for more than 20 years.

How many years has FFXV been out? 4 years?
Many players like Final Fantasy XV, and it has its fans, like me.
But I would say that there is a physiological time gap.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I knew I'd be in the minority, but I didn't like how small and corridor-like the environments of FFVII: R felt. It was claustrophobic at times, and I didn't like all the climbing/shimmying/jumping stuff either that I guess they used to hide loading/mix up the traversal. The open world of XV played, looked, and felt great. The driving felt a little too on-rails, but it was mostly optional, so not a big deal. Both had fun combat.

Last edited:

Esca

I picked ff7R. I don't remember much of 15 but I remember not caring for the combat. I'm not a high ff7 fan (ff6 ftw) but I found the remake more enjoyable overall

Shifty1897

I agree FF7R is better, but nowhere have they said there will be three games. The last time I saw the director was asked he said he didn't know how many installments of FFVIIR there will be.

KiteGr

Final Fantasy XV, with the Royal Edition, is basically complete.
The canceled DLC'S of Luna, Aranea and Noctis are all a different narrations of alternative ending.
So, only an extra, in the end.
(and this is beyond the fact of what you prefer from these two games, or what you like most)
No it's not.
If it was, the destruction of Insomnia wouldn't had happened off-screen.
If it was, the quests would had made more sense, and it would had at least another continent.
If it was, it would had a fun gameplay and/or magic system.
They were applying fixes, and the Royal edition was a step on the right direction, but they've abandoned it!

This video summarizes FF15 condition!

I agree FF7R is better, but nowhere have they said there will be three games. The last time I saw the director was asked he said he didn't know how many installments of FFVIIR there will be.
That's why I haven't bought it yet.:messenger_winking:

Last edited:
I voted for Final Fantasy VII Remake. I liked Final Fantasy XV, but hated how big and empty the world is. If it wasn't for fast travel the driving portion would've been a long boring ride. I found the combat in Final Fantasy VII Remake to be more satisfying than XV too.

D.Final

Banned
No it's not.
If it was, the quests would had made more sense, and it would had at least another continent.
They were applying fixes, and the Royal edition was a step on the right direction, but they've abandoned it!

Final Fantasy XV IS COMPLETE
It has a beginning and an ending.

It was a created as a Multimedia Universe.
So, Kingsglaive, Brotherhood they are part of it.
And the fact that you didn't like the gameplay of the game, doesn't metter for the pure point of the whole Multimedia Universe project.
(or the structure of it)

So, you basically didn't like one and vote automatically for the other, even if you didn't play the Remake...

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Final Fantasy XV IS COMPLETE
It has a beginning and an ending.

It was a created as a Multimedia Universe.
So, Kingsglaive, Brotherhood they are part of it.
And the fact that you didn't like the gameplay of the game, doesn't metter for the pure point of the whole Multimedia Universe project.
(or the structure of it)

So, you basically didn't like one and vote automatically for the other, even if you didn't play the Remake...
Points of view

🤷‍♂️

No it's not.

Shame FFXV will never be the game it was meant to be, if It stayed with its original Versus concept Nomura had intended instead of going through development hell, it might have been game of the generation. FF7 Remake on the other hand is the game it was meant to be, albeit not complete yet due to its episodic nature, but I'm ok paying more for a longer fleshed out story. As an anime collector I prefer lengthy stories vs a shorter movie that might require reading books or novels in order to get the full gist of it.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Shame FFXV will never be the game it was meant to be, if I stayed with it's original Versus concept Nomura had instead of going through development hell, it might have been game of the generation. FF7 Remake on the other hand is the game it was meant to be, albeit not complete yet due to its episodic nature, but I'm ok paying more for a longer fleshed out story. As an anime collector I prefer lengthy stories vs a shorter movie that might requiring reading books or novels in order to get the full gist of it.

I prefer this Final Fantasy XV rather than the Versus.
Because Final Fantasy XV has a lot more heart, and spirit of the Final Fantasy games, rather than the Versus tech demo.

I prefer this Final Fantasy XV rather than the Versus.
Because Final Fantasy XV has a lot more heart, and spirit of the Final Fantasy games, rather than the Versus tech demo.

You can't say that for sure though cause nobody has played Versus, that's my point. I wish the game was made complete and available, but I guess there's no point dwelling of what could've of been.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
XV's combat was completely ruined by the potion system, there is no difficulty in 95% of the fights, it's all for show. The camera can't keep up with 30% of the fights, a problem still lingering in VII Remake, but VII Remake features the evolution of the combat system and it works a lot better in almost every way.

The presentation in VII Remake is a lot more polished too, XV has so many poorly done animations and the console version has a billion visual flaws while VII is one of the best looking games of the generation across the board.

And the voice acting for XV, Promptu might be the worst voice-acted character in videogame history, and Gladius sounded like a guy trying to sound rough but sounding like a cornball. Not to mention that if you didn't watch the terrible movies, you have no idea what happens for 50% of the time in that game. And the in-door environments are perhaps the worst missions Final Fantasy has ever had in a game, the stealth missions my lord what a mess.

Both feature lackluster leveling systems, and VII Remake has issues with the bad side-missions and a strange pace in the last 15 hours. I thought the game was over about 6 times until it actually ended. But VII Remake is just a different beast. If the open world in XV was more than just monsters scattered around specific areas, and that it felt more like a real breathing open-world then maybe it had a chance, but it's hard to vote for that game against it's better newer iteration.

mcjmetroid

Haven't played the remake but I'm going to go with the remake because it can't possibly be worse than XV.

At the very least it looks better and has a better story

D.Final

Banned
XV's combat was completely ruined by the potion system, there is no difficulty in 95% of the fights, it's all for show. The camera can't keep up with 30% of the fights, a problem still lingering in VII Remake, but VII Remake features the evolution of the combat system and it works a lot better in almost every way.

The presentation in VII Remake is a lot more polished too, XV has so many poorly done animations and the console version has a billion visual flaws while VII is one of the best looking games of the generation across the board.

And the voice acting for XV, Promptu might be the worst voice-acted character in videogame history, and Gladius sounded like a guy trying to sound rough but sounding like a cornball. Not to mention that if you didn't watch the terrible movies, you have no idea what happens for 50% of the time in that game. And the in-door environments are perhaps the worst missions Final Fantasy has ever had in a game, the stealth missions my lord what a mess.

Both feature lackluster leveling systems, and VII Remake has issues with the bad side-missions and a strange pace in the last 15 hours. I thought the game was over about 6 times until it actually ended. But VII Remake is just a different beast. If the open world in XV was more than just monsters scattered around specific areas, and that it felt more like a real breathing open-world then maybe it had a chance, but it's hard to vote for that game against it's better newer iteration.

Final Fantasy XV has literally the best combat animation for an action jrpg openworld, in this generation

q25uhmu.gif

And the game has a stunning graphics even, especially for the Windows Edition.
And really amazing dungeons to explore.

u9DyTbF.gif

While FFVII Remake still has the texture glitch low res problem for the big environment of the corridors areas of the game

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Final Fantasy XV has literally the best combat animation for an action jrpg openworld, in this generation

q25uhmu.gif

And the game has a stunning graphics even, especially for the Windows Edition
Yes, but look outside the combat and you will find every character in the game with barely any animation. Good animation does not make a good combat system.

15 is just convoluted mess to begin with (just chopped so much(Kingsglaives and Brotherhood) to gain so much hype but instead the game itself somewhat a broken game that need time to fixed via updates adding its lore somewhat lackluster even so called "open world" its just sightseeing bonanza i wish the places we explore has more story left behind on it but instead we got nothing...guessing what happened via players...

battle is just so mediocore(hold the attack damned button) and lack of main character customization even we can change his weapons but noctis is just somewhat meh....its just weapon master due magics are just bombs i wish its has more depth or building on your style....like FF7 remake's Cloud(he can be customized on 3 style battle style , balanced(magic and melee) or magic style) meanwhile noctis....is just meh only damned melee and ranged with overpowered warps + items are just overpowered

meanwhile on FF7remake is okay on linearity even i will "complex linearity" like FFX due sidequest can do it any time adding its battle system its damn good to play due ATB has added the level of battle even items are tied to it to add diffculty(without atb it will be same as FF15 item system pots spams)

sorry if my english sucks

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Yes, but look outside the combat and you will find every character in the game with barely any animation. Good animation does not make a good combat system.

Even outside the battle the animations are great :messenger_grinning:
And the battle system of Final Fantasy XV is really fun.
And definitely a great battle system for an action jrpg openworld

Bragr

Banned
Even outside the battle the animations are great :messenger_grinning:
And the battle system of Final Fantasy XV is really fun.
And definitely a great battle system for an action jrpg openworld
What I am talking about specifically is all the small areas scattered about with people with no animation routines, it makes the whole world feel dead. Most of the time you are holding down the attack button until they die, you have to force yourself to make it interesting by using the parry and abilities, it's a mess.

My theory is they didn't find a way to finish the combat system and make it the way they envisioned so they just slapped the potions in there to remove any threat and frustration.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Points of view.
There are those who played Final Fantasy VII as the very first Final Fantasy game.
And characters like Cloud and Tifa have remained in the hearts of many people for more than 20 years.

How many years has FFXV been out? 4 years?
Many players like Final Fantasy XV, and it has its fans, like me.
But I would say that there is a physiological time gap.
Also notice that most of the people chiming in about why they voted the way they did, are using reasons related to the graphics, story, or gameplay of FF15 vs FF7R.

Hardly anyone is saying "I like FF7R better because I'm more of a fan of FF7". People are mostly judging them based on their merits as games in and of themselves.

Bragr

Banned

q25uhmu.gif

And the game has a stunning graphics even, especially for the Windows Edition.
And really amazing dungeons to explore.

u9DyTbF.gif

While FFVII Remake still has the texture glitch low res problem for the big environment of the corridors areas of the game
You are choosing the best GIF's and it's a completely false look at how the game really looks, it's never that cinematic, this is how it looks:

D.Final

Banned
What I am talking about specifically is all the small areas scattered about with people with no animation routines, it makes the whole world feel dead. Most of the time you are holding down the attack button until they die, you have to force yourself to make it interesting by using the parry and abilities, it's a mess.

My theory is they didn't find a way to finish the combat system and make it the way they envisioned so they just slapped the potions in there to remove any threat and frustration.

Actually the NPC's has really nice animation. Just go to see Lestalllum and Altissia.
Beautiful cities with a lot of people.

And even the animations of the NPC's of FFVII Remake are basically standard, and almost lifeless.
(because they are NPC's)

Bragr

Banned
Actually the NPC's has really nice animation. Just go to see Lestalllum and Altissia.
Beautiful cities with a lot of people.

And even the animations of the NPC's of FFVII Remake are basically standard, and almost lifeless.
(because they are NPC's)
It's beautiful cities (especially Altissia) with nothing to do in them, that's the problem, VII NPC animations are bad too, but those small areas in XV all look the same with the same 3 copy-pasted people, they could have done so much more to make the open-world better in that game.

Bragr

Banned
Actually FINAL FANTASY XV HAS INCREDIBLE BEAUTIFUL ANIMATIONS.

Did you try to fight monsters with your Chocobo in FFXV?
Sometimes you can make chain attacks with Chocobo

8nknZJX.gif
Yes, but as I said, this is not how the game looks for 99% of the time lol, look at gameplay videos. If it looked like this at all times I would still be playing it, instead most of the time you will be flashing back and forth with that flying attack while the camera looks at the ground.

D.Final

Banned
It's beautiful cities (especially Altissia) with nothing to do in them, that's the problem, VII NPC animations are bad too, but those small areas in XV all look the same with the same 3 copy-pasted people, they could have done so much more to make the open-world better in that game.

Didn't you try the minigames?

In Final Fantasy XV the best minigame is undoubtedly the fishing with Noctis.
And in Altissia you can also play Justice Monsters V, and the Colosseum.

Top Bottom