• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII OST is possibly the greatest work ever by a video game composer

CentroXer

Banned
Final+Fantasy+VIII+OST+2.jpg

This is Uematsu in his prime. So many different styles and rarely a bad song. I have listened to the FF8 soundtrack lately, and there is no doubt that this is a masterpiece. It is one for the ages!

Here are some of my favorites:

Balamb Garden - Wow at that soothing atmosphere. I close my eyes and see students playing Triple Triad. So good.

Dont be afraid - Awesome battle theme

The Landing - It's like a countdown to a high paced Action movie

Blue Fields - Great overworld theme

Waltz for the Moon - Ball room scene!

The Stage is set - Hey Irvine buddy, dont miss!

Love Grows - Beautiful

Fishermans Horizon - godly

Find your way - Dont get lost in the tomb

SeeD - Military march

Force your way - Dat epic Boss music

Breezy - Soothing Town music

The man with the machine gun - Maybe the most legendary battle theme ever!

My Mind - Back to the emotions again

Martial Law - Timber!

Maybe I am a Lion - Time to unleash that Lionheart Squall

Liberi Fatali - no comments necessary

It really is one of the best OSTs OF ALL TIME. Every time I want to mention a specific track I want to mention a few more after it, so I won't mention any. They're all amazing.

Balamb Garden theme <3

Venfayth

Not that I disagree, because FF8 OST is one of my favorites and I listen to it regularly, but it seems like video game soundtracks are one of the most common things to inspire phrases such as "the greatest ever"

My favorite: The Castle

Wazzy

Banned
Yuppppppppppp.

One of the best OST's I've ever listened to and that's saying a lot when it's from a franchise that excels in the music department every game.

linko9

It's really good, definitely the best of the PSX games, though some of the best tracks in 9 are better than anything in 8 IMO. Still doesn't reach the levels of the SNES games, but that might just be aesthetic preference. 7 was really bad with the instrumentation, and thankfully that was completely fixed in 8, plus the compositions were so much better overall.

Nobuo Uematsu is still my most favorite composer. And Faye Wong's theme song is amazing, too. Loved the music.. not so much the game...

Brave

Banned
Love grows is hands-down the most beautiful music piece I ever heard in a video game.
Also the final boss music (Premonition > Legendary Beast > Maybe I'm a lion > The Extreme) is epic.

I think having a solid musical theme for the whole game helped shape FFVIII as a whole, in my opinion.

It's definitely one of 'em. No doubt about it. But then again I absolutely adore everything about that game.

What I do think is that FFVIII has the greatest final boss music in any RPG. So much attention goes toward One-Winged Angel and while that is great and even iconic, VIII's final boss track at least to me is far more unique, and I fucking love how the fast-paced portion of the track begins with the classic Final Fantasy battle opening beats. I'm not sure how many have actually noticed that, but I can't be the only one.

Mr. RPG

I honestly think VII's soundtrack s one of the weakest for the Final Fantasy series.

My favorites are VI and IX by the way.

Klyka

Banned
My fav FF
but the music is not even the best in the series imo
XIV ARR is

I agree with this.

Final Fantasy 14's soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal.
I just did "Lost City of Amdapor" today for the first time and the music is so good that the tank who had run the dungeon countless times told us in chat "be sure to turn your music on here if you have it off, you will thank me later"

Here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb_WWhHYt1U

sensui-tomo

MY top 2 (with no placement whatso-ever) OSTs include this and nier's ... 8 had a great soundtrack no question about it, I miss the psx era time of great OSTs.

Baalzebup

It really is a brilliant soundtrack. Different strokes as to being THE greatest, but it is definitely up there among the other masterworks. I could never name one absolute favourite.

HiroTSK5

Love grows is the reason I bought FFVIII. I consider the soundtrack as a whole the best of most games. Sure some games have specific songs that are stupendous but the way this soundtrack is used over the entire game has yet to be topped.

Super Mario Galaxy is a close second though.

FF6, 7 and Lost Odyssey all display Uematsu at (almost) the height of his powers, but the absolute pinnacle is 8 and 9. Both are just amazing, incredibly richly textured scores. It'd be hard for me to pick between those two, but I think the choices of synth in 9 are markedly better.

typist

Uematsu is truly an amazing composer. Though I do share his preference for FFIX's soundtrack FFVIII is also extraordinary. The following track from FFVIII only plays once in the game (
when Squall is being tortured by Seifer
) and is often overlooked, yet it is one of the best in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVkzzuSRFMc

Can anything really surpass FFIX though? FFIX is just so perfect imo, it can only be rivalled at best but never surpassed. Youtuber fan katethegreat does chillingly beautiful covers of You're Not Alone and Rose of May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmbgCBZ86z4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNHtbw4Kyf0

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Great music.

I've always wished the OST was attached to a game I actually liked playing. Bummer.

At the very least, it would be absolutely near the top of the greatest OST's ever. Countless times I just listened to the music instead of really even playing the game.

The Man with the Machine Gun is legendary. The Landing, legendary. Hell, the entire album is!

VIII is, in my mind, one of the greatest VG soundtracks ever composed. It's really wonderful -- and it's even more amazing that tracks from a game I played maybe two or three times through over fifteen years ago have stuck with me all these years. Hats off to Uematsu, he's a genius.

Top Bottom