• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X SD vs HD Comparison Video

Yasae

Banned
I still find it awkward that the remake models have fewer polys than the detailed models of the original game (increased texture detail notwithstanding - that's a pure advantage).

Why?

Lothar

Banned
Right now the SD characters look considerably better than the HD characters - warmer, more expressive, more human. Unless there's a big change, I will not be buying this. And FFX is one of my favorite games.

They did away with Yuna's plump cheeks. What a shame.

Is it just me or has the fantasy colour hue been lost?

I no longer feel the need to buy this.

Don't like the eyes. There's more detail around the eyes in the SD version. In the HD, it looks like his eyes are swollen and he's got eye makeup on. Like anime eyes on a real person. Looks weird. And yeah, there's more subtle animation in the SD version, so he looks more human.

Well, at least they remembered to add in his earrings. :p

Yup, Tidus's left arm is missing from 1:14 to 1:21.

How did they miss this??

This sums it up pretty well so far.. They're sterilizing it. Speak with your wallet folks..

I'll leave you to the deliberation.

Famassu

This sums it up pretty well so far.. They're sterilizing it. Speak with your wallet folks..

Lol, I'm not boycotting stuff for stupid reasons like skin colour of characters changing a bit. All-in-all these look like vast improvements over the original games. And both are equally emotionless, don't see anything more subtle in the SD version.

Lol, I'm not boycotting stuff for stupid reasons like skin colour of characters changing a bit. All-in-all these look like vast improvements over the original games. And both are equally emotionless, don't see anything more subtle in the SD version.

Any good reason to buy it, when you may have already bought and played the game before?

Grinchy

Banned
ibd6jZQupVEkSo.jpg

With a little imagination, that's a nip slip.

Thorakai

Man that comparison gave me a headache. Would have been much easier to have the full screen for both side by side or shown one at a time.

Famassu

Any good reason to buy it, when you may have already bought and played the game before?
Both are International versions which I personally haven't played with some new content I haven't experienced before, the games are easier on the eyes (and possibly ears, even if they only improve audio quality, but especially if they go as far as KH1.5 did), it's been almost over 5 years since I've played either and I want to play the definitive versions. These will undoubtedly be the definitive versions.

Lothar

Banned
Not sure why people are complaining about little changes, it looks so much better overall.

The look of the characters is hardly little changes. It's only better overall if you care more about the environment and the scenery than the characters. I see the expressions of the characters as vastly vastly more important than anything else, and those expressions are honestly shitty compared to the original.

Dariso

Neo Member
Not sure why people are complaining about little changes, it looks so much better overall.
I agree most of it looks great, but man those dead eyes on the character models are really annoying me.Wonder if they'll fix them for release, or if they even consider it an issue...

Yup, Tidus's left arm is missing from 1:14 to 1:21.

How did they miss this??
Well, I think these kinds of goof-ups are just the trailers. Hopefully the "dead eyes" are too. I mean I doubt this is gonna be in the final version. Look at Paine from the E3 trailer lol.
paine.png

Pallad1um

From what I've seen, the game looks really great. I don't like much what they've done to the faces of the characters, though; the side by side comparison makes it obvious, but even without it, everybody who played the game before can notice the differences in Yuna and Tidus face. Yuna lost some charm in my opinion, and Tidus is a bit (more) creepy.

akaoni

Banned
I'm more impressed now, it looks like they even fixed the janky animations during the cut scene or he seemed less shake-prone at least.

10dona.jpg

Now just show us what Dona's new model looks like. and get it over with.

Alcahest

Emulated Lulu looks more realistic than the remake
This. And of course the obligatory 'Tidus' face looks completely off'. Do not like at all.
They MUST have outsourced chara modelling; or Kitase is just high again accepting those changes.

I don't mind the lack of the tan...I like how much better the areas seem to look and most of the colors seem to come out much better...it's not perfect but all I heard is the theme song and it's got me hyped to play!

RaijinFY

Good thing i disliked the original back then... Artistically, it looks worse than the original and back then i didnt think the game looked that good to begin with. It makes my choice easier.

Seik

Banned

Haha, ok.

Here's my deliberation, I'm buying it both PS3 and Vita day 1.

I mean holy shit, even if it's a re-release, there's actually a lot of work that went through it and people are just hungry as fuck for a descent, classic RPG from Square. It'll sell, and damn I want it to sell.

Remember what SE said about what needs to happen for a FFVII remake to be real? So yeah, I want really good numbers on this one. :p

Though I agree, the remake, while looking incredibly better, seems to fuck up the expressions on the character's faces sometimes.

The faces look a lot worse, what the hell. This and xiii are the only final fantasys i haven't enjoyed, i might try it again on vita but only if it's super cheap.

Looks nice, but Tidus has been white washed by the bamboozlers.

Nostalgia makes me want to run out an support the PS3 version and buy digital, but I'm gonna wait to see if there's a UK retail release for Vita that I can import, or if language options can do the trick.

MrDenny

Please be old footage...

But yeah, still buying it. Music alone made me more amped.
I hope so.
Can't believe they are releasing media with missing textures, tidus's arm, and unfinished character face models.
They said they're still tweaking the faces but its only a few more months before release.
I hope they are not rushing it to meet the 2013 deadline.
I wouldnt mind if it released in december if it would mean a more polished game.

Ugh why are Japanese studios so bad at creating facial expressions? This actually looks like one of those Elder Scrolls mods. Aeris actually looks better in the PS2 version.

Still, I want this so bad for the Vita, a topic that SE isn't addressing :(

KeRaSh

What exactly did you expect? Its a remaster, not a remake.

I don't know... I expected more. Took them long enough, didn't it?
My expectations were to have the game look like the emulated Lulu shot. It's not there and the emulation is being processed/upscaled on the fly, right?
No sure how emulators actually do it...

MrDenny

Ugh why are Japanese studios so bad at creating facial expressions? This actually looks like one of those Elder Scrolls mods. Aeris actually looks better in the PS2 version.

It's surprising how everything else looks great, except the character's faces.
I hope they didn't compromise the character models for the vita version.
I remember them mentioning they wanted vita and ps3 version to look nearly identical.

Famassu

Maybe because this is the first game Square Enix even had to create facial expressions for in-game models in? Later games have incredibly good facial expressions.

I really don't see where you people see this vast difference between the PS2 & Remasters (and PS2 version being better). The faces are just as emotionless/expressionless in the SD version..

They've talked about the Vita version as recently as a week or so ago. It's coming. They haven't told the release date for the PS3 version either.

Top Bottom