• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X -Will- and FFX-2.5 plot discussion thread [Up2: Uh, um, errr, see OP]

MormaPope

Banned
Couples face challenges everyday. You are a fool to think that any couple, even in a fantasy world would just be fine, especially with the prospect of SIN coming back and destroying everything again.

Tidus and Yuna are not a typical couple. If the relationship/character dynamic revolves around "oppsies, I didn't really like you that much" that's lazy and sloppy writing.

Couples face challenges everyday. You are a fool to think that any couple, even in a fantasy world would just be fine, especially with the prospect of SIN coming back and destroying everything again.

Just because it's realistic doesn't mean it's something I want to see. I mean, people piss and shit everyday too, doesn't mean I want to hear Yuna referencing how long it took for her to squeeze out a prickly fudge log!

They should be past that bullshit. They almost saw the end of a entire world, Tidus had to deal with some really wicked shit. For all the drama and death they've both experienced, they probably wouldn't squabble like a typical couple. In reality they would settle down and actually try to fill their lives with joy.

Instead of trying to nail down the mythos and make it more authentic or relatable, they're doubling down on the crazy. This is not a good direction for FFX

They are nailing down the mythos. The Farplane is spilling into the world and making "wishes" come true, the Fayth's nature is coming farther to light by them taking pity, and it's basically just making those pyreflies more constant and corporeal.

It's going further into the problems of the world AS (after sin). This is just a taste, I'm sure we'll see more about the world and its expanded nature later.

Hell, if anything, this is a huge sign that we'll get a fuckload more backstory. Those things are coming back, and just think, they'd force people to confront the dead again.

rubius01

So my Japanese is pretty shabby but here's some of the stuff that fills in a few blanks here and there, hopefully I'm not listening wrong somebody please check.

Kurugum is a '送儀士' as Yuna calls him, I'm not sure if this term was used in 10/10-2 but think it means he's a Sender (since summoners are 'summon'-ers, nowadays there's nothing to summon but people still die and require sendings, so presently there are Senders).

Chuami harbors resentment towards Yuna, most likely because of the Auron father thing and also because Chuami actually dislikes Yevon, and Yuna has been doing nothing but praying at the Besaid Temple to a fayth that no longer even exists. Chuami thinks it's bullshit.

A second shoopuf has appeared at Moonflow. In FF10/10-2, the shoopuf at Moonflow is supposed to be the last of its species, so the mystery appearance of a shoopuf who happens to be quite close to the last shoopuf (a sphere of them is described in the audio) is a bit alarming. Thirty years ago the last shoopufs were a couple, but one of them died. My understanding is that Chuami and Kurugum ask Yuna (at Baralai's request) to investigate, and then go Bevelle to meet with Baralai about it. When Yuna refuses, Chuami uses Tidus against her, saying that Tidus is in Bevelle and he seems to be injured, which immediately sparks Yuna's worry.

Yuna agrees to go after consulting Wakka and Lulu, who also come along.

The fayth are acting weird. What fayth normally show are memories or just images of dead people. However, at the Moonflow the traveling crew witness a fayth image respond to a child's question like a sentient being. The child begs her mother to come back, and the mother answers in affirmative.

This later relates to the reappearance of Sin at Bevelle, implying that someone wished for Sin to come back.

In any case, when Sin reappeared, they realize the problem of trying to defeat Sin when summons no longer exist. Wakka and Kurugum defer to Yuna, waiting for her decision on how to handle the new Sin, but like an airhead she says amidst all of this that she must meet Tidus.

LUJnwqa.gif

So Chuami's pissed and she decides to eavesdrop on Yuna and Tidus. Who happen to be having a lovers' quarrel while Sin runs off like Godzilla I suppose.

At this point Kurugum tells Chuami they will have to part because he has to go with Yuna, that Chuami won't understand because she's not a summoner. Chuami is confused, throws her hands up and tells him to do what he wants.

Chuami heads back to Besaid. Tidus also goes, to ask Lulu about the new guy that Yuna likes. Lulu tells him to go find the guy himself.

At the beach, Chuami wonders aloud where the summoners are; Tidus answers that they must go 'there' (I think he's implying Zanarkand?). Chuami asks him if he's okay with being dumped for that, to which Tidus replies, "We made a promise to be together forever."

Chuami thinks he's full of shit, but doesn't say anything because Tidus is clearly doing a really poor job of hiding his pained face.

At the end, in a stadium setting most likely (from the sounds of crowds and cheering), Yuna promises the people she will defeat Sin.

So my takeaway is that this could turn into a 13-2 situation where bringing back Lightning Tidus caused some problems with the fayth and the Farplane. Yuna's wish for Tidus to return in 10-2 is similar to the child who wished for her mother to come home and the shoopuf who suddenly has his/her mate back.

OK that makes more sense. 'Cause honestly I couldn't understand what the summary in the OP was talking about.

It still sounds like absolute shit though

They are nailing down the mythos. The Farplane is spilling into the world and making "wishes" come true, the Fayth's nature is coming farther to light by them taking pity, and it's basically just making those pyreflies more constant and corporeal.

It's going further into the problems of the world AS (after sin). This is just a taste, I'm sure we'll see more about the world and its expanded nature later.

Hell, if anything, this is a huge sign that we'll get a fuckload more backstory. Those things are coming back, and just think, they'd force people to confront the dead again.

Yes! This! This so much! I finally found someone who understands...!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jesus, they're really considering a sequel, aren't they..?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't already in development.

I mean they wrote the plot setup of the game and already have character art and then went to a magazine and teased the fact that they were making it.

I mean they wrote the plot setup of the game and already have character art and then went to a magazine and teased the fact that they were making it.

They also made an HD remake of a game from a really long time ago. It's probably been part of the strategy for a good 5 years.

Dr. Buni

Though it might seem otherwise, I'm not against sequels either. They can be done right, but in this case, it's apparent Square just does NOT know how to pull it off. EVERY additional sequel installment has been a let down.
Arguably, even their non-sequel games have been let downs, so one might think the problem isn't that Square doesn't know how to pull a sequel off. Instead, maybe they just don't know how to make good games in the FF series anymore.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

They also made an HD remake of a game from a really long time ago. It's probably been part of the strategy for a good 5 years.

Is there a sad version of it'shappening.gif?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Arguably, even their non-sequel games have been let downs, so one might think the problem isn't that Square doesn't know how to pull a sequel off. Instead, maybe they just don't know how to make good games in the FF series anymore.

Incoming FF15 fans. Oh yeah. 14 exists

Seymour's back! Calling it!!! Here comes Seymour, Yunalesca, Yu Yevon and Shuyin(but without Lenne, causing him to go batshit crazy again).

Hell, wonder if they make up a character called "Tori", who wishes for Lightning to be "real", in the way the Ice King wishes for Fiona and Cake to be real.

MormaPope

Banned

I don't have confidence for the current Square Enix talent to pull any of this off. Of course that's my personal opinion, but their current treatment of Final Fantasy storytelling sorta paints a bad image no matter what.

All in all I'm really disappointed with how Yuna and Tidus are being handled mostly.

Dark_castle

So my Japanese is pretty shabby but here's some of the stuff that fills in a few blanks here and there, hopefully I'm not listening wrong somebody please check.

Kurugum is a '送儀士' as Yuna calls him, I'm not sure if this term was used in 10/10-2 but think it means he's a Sender (since summoners are 'summon'-ers, nowadays there's nothing to summon but people still die and require sendings, so presently there are Senders).

Chuami harbors resentment towards Yuna, most likely because of the Auron father thing and also because Chuami actually dislikes Yevon, and Yuna has been doing nothing but praying at the Besaid Temple to a fayth that no longer even exists. Chuami thinks it's bullshit.

A second shoopuf has appeared at Moonflow. In FF10/10-2, the shoopuf at Moonflow is supposed to be the last of its species, so the mystery appearance of a shoopuf who happens to be quite close to the last shoopuf (a sphere of them is described in the audio) is a bit alarming. Thirty years ago the last shoopufs were a couple, but one of them died. My understanding is that Chuami and Kurugum ask Yuna (at Baralai's request) to investigate, and then go Bevelle to meet with Baralai about it. When Yuna refuses, Chuami uses Tidus against her, saying that Tidus is in Bevelle and he seems to be injured, which immediately sparks Yuna's worry.

Yuna agrees to go after consulting Wakka and Lulu, who also come along.

The fayth are acting weird. What fayth normally show are memories or just images of dead people. However, at the Moonflow the traveling crew witness a fayth image respond to a child's question like a sentient being. The child begs her mother to come back, and the mother answers in affirmative.

This later relates to the reappearance of Sin at Bevelle, implying that someone wished for Sin to come back.

In any case, when Sin reappeared, they realize the problem of trying to defeat Sin when summons no longer exist. Wakka and Kurugum defer to Yuna, waiting for her decision on how to handle the new Sin, but like an airhead she says amidst all of this that she must meet Tidus.

LUJnwqa.gif

So Chuami's pissed and she decides to eavesdrop on Yuna and Tidus. Who happen to be having a lovers' quarrel while Sin runs off like Godzilla I suppose.

At this point Kurugum tells Chuami they will have to part because he has to go with Yuna, that Chuami won't understand because she's not a summoner. Chuami is confused, throws her hands up and tells him to do what he wants.

Chuami heads back to Besaid. Tidus also goes, to ask Lulu about the new guy that Yuna likes. Lulu tells him to go find the guy himself.

At the beach, Chuami wonders aloud where the summoners are; Tidus answers that they must go 'there' (I think he's implying Zanarkand?). Chuami asks him if he's okay with being dumped for that, to which Tidus replies, "We made a promise to be together forever."

Chuami thinks he's full of shit, but doesn't say anything because Tidus is clearly doing a really poor job of hiding his pained face.

At the end, in a stadium setting most likely (from the sounds of crowds and cheering), Yuna promises the people she will defeat Sin.

So my takeaway is that this could turn into a 13-2 situation where bringing back Lightning Tidus caused some problems with the fayth and the Farplane. Yuna's wish for Tidus to return in 10-2 is similar to the child who wished for her mother to come home and the shoopuf who suddenly has his/her mate back.

I'm a little confused about the line which Tidus said "the summoner must go there" as a reply to where the summoners are by Chuami. If there are no longer aeons in Spira, why would there be summoners? Why would they need to travel to Zanarkand again?

Foffy

Banned

Well, that's....awfully telling.

I'm only concerned for the plot because this audio drama sounds like bonkerballs. How would it play? X and X-2 are almost two different beasts in the core battle system.

Dali

Seymour's back! Calling it!!! Here comes Seymour, Yunalesca, Yu Yevon and Shuyin(but without Lenne, causing him to go batshit crazy again).

Hell, wonder if they make up a character called "Tori", who wishes for Lightning to be "real", in the way the Ice King wishes for Fiona and Cake to be real.
Lighting will be a rare blitz ball ace you can recruit. Calling it now.

I hope they all come back bitter and angry and fuck up everything and they shit all over the main cast for the shit they did.

Lol Yu Yevon though he's a bug.

I don't have confidence for the current Square Enix talent to pull any of this off. Of course that's my personal opinion, but their current treatment of Final Fantasy storytelling sorta paints a bad image no matter what.

All in all I'm really disappointed with how Yuna and Tidus are being handled mostly.

I'll wait til it's out, but I agree with you on the Yuna and Tidus thing.

Verendus

Banned
Game should have a real messed up ending.

Tidus is brought back because Yuna wanted him back. He's back, he's happy. He's with the woman he loves and he's playing Blitzball. As time goes on, they drift apart, his body is inexplicably becoming more injured and broken. Yuna is avoiding him. Throughout the years, Tidus goes from being upbeat to a depressed and broken man living a life without meaning. He's bacially going through life clinging to those few memories and desperate for anyone's attention. Then Sin ends up returning. Tidus figures out that he's found some meaning now and wants to stop Sin like he did all those years ago. Eventually he discovers that he's tied to the return, and is desperate to figure out a way to get rid of Sin without killing himself since he's begun to appreciate other things about his life throughout the journey to get rid of Sin. He also learns that this is why Yuna has avoided him. Then at the end, instead of trying to find an alternative way to stop Sin (like Tidus tried in FFX with Yuna), Yuna just kills Tidus when he's not expecting it. Tidus dies like that, after finally realising how to overcome his depression and lead a new way of life.

Let's go full on crazy here. Just ruin everyone's characters.

Edit:

The game should have a dual perspective. One side shows Tidus going from being depressed and appreciating a potentially new life without links to his old one, and it ends in tragedy. The other side shows Yuna slowly descending into insanity and killing Tidus at the end of it.

Yep, I am genius.

I apologize for posting a lot.

I think we're all looking over one crucial aspect of Final Fantasy X-3.

Nojima said he wanted to add more to the story. The games story writer wants to see more of his universe come to life. Should we really be bashing him for wanting to expand on his own lore.

It's not like a call of duty every year. This is 10+ years for a sequel.

If you don't want to play Final Fantasy X-3 we have a product for you, and that's called Xbox 360.

MormaPope

Banned

This is why the wish stuff is nonsensical and lame. It could be used as a blatant way to bring back most of the FFX cast, which would amount to tons of fan service.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I apologize for posting a lot.

I think we're all looking over one crucial aspect of Final Fantasy X-3.

Nojima said he wanted to add more to the story. The games story writer wants to see more of his universe come to life. Should we really be bashing him for wanting to expand on his own lore.

It's not like a call of duty every year. This is 10+ years for a sequel.

If you don't want to play Final Fantasy X-3 we have a product for you, and that's called Xbox 360.

An annual call of duty is better than the shit sequels SE has put out.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
To be honest, Dramatis summary makes it sound a lot better than the original summary. I'm intrigued now. My main worry is that the new concept ideas can be a nightmare to execute - too much potential for Deus Ex Machinas everywhere.

I still believe the main concepts were handled by Toriyama (which will likely be the director for FFX-3). The retcon-feel behind them, the unlimited Deus Ex Machina potential, the sudden screw up of the world, and how Toriyama loves to recycle ideas, all lead up to my suspicion.

Dark_castle

Not gonna lie, the additional summary sounded slightly better than what we initially had. My memories of FFX is a little fuzzy. If X-3 is written with more serious tone compared to X-2, basically discarding whatever shit that's happened in X-2 (I think they're doing that anyway, since Yuna is back to her FFX self but older), I might bite.

Also, get whoever that design FFX-2's combat system.

Yazuka

If Tidus and Yuna have been growing apart, perhaps Tidus wished for Sin to return. So they could return to the "glory" days, when Tidus could be Yuna's shining knight and depend on him. And Tidus could feel like he is needed.
Perhaps it's something like that?

Talents

Banned
If they did make another Final Fantasy X, they should have made a prequel which showed Braska, Jecht and Auron's journey. That would be awesome.

Colby

It's simple. This game will expand on the Shinra/FF7 connection, which will lead to the FF7 remake. Obviously.

Top Bottom