• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster - 12/26 Japanese release (for real this time)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You guys don't remember that song? It's "Someday The Dream Will End". Plays towards the end of the game. Very intense/sad piece.

Yeah, plays as you're running through
the ruins
. The combination of the music and visuals made it one of the most affecting parts of any RPG I've ever seen.

Zoator

You guys don't remember that song? It's "Someday The Dream Will End". Plays towards the end of the game. Very intense/sad piece.

I think they're talking about the third piece, which is not "Someday The Dream Will End" (that's the second piece).

Seda

Yeah, holy shit. What is that music anyway ? It is nowhere in the original game nor is it in X-2, unless it was exclusively in The Last Mission, which I have not played.

It is so goddamn beautiful. I wouldn't mind them inserting it somewhere in the game.

Also, are we getting physical releases of the Vita versions after all ?

That's Wind's Crest from the international version of FFX-2, not sure exactly where it plays

Famassu

Lol how far back was this announced 2011? what took them so long when nintendo can pump out wind waker HD in 6 months.

also wow I completely forgot how terrible the characters in this game are dressed.
1) They announced this so long ago simply because they wanted to acknowledge FFX's 10th anniversary, they didn't start working on it until much later on

2) They are remaking not one, but TWO games (+ Last Mission)

3) both of those two games are much bigger games than Wind Waker

4) Both games are getting quite a lot more done to them than Wind Waker, as far as the audiovisuals go (work done on textures, character models, pre-rendered cutscenes as well as re-arranged music), which takes time, especially since the team working on these HD Remasters is probably not too big.

Takao

Banned
Is this the first PS2 port for Vita that has had content changed?

Persona 4: Golden

I am very curious as to why they withheld the Vita pricing (and even packaging) for so long. Did they decided upon it until the last minute? Or perhaps they wanted to give the PS3 version some momentum before the Vita packs were announced?

Any guesses anyone?

It's only been the western arms of SE that have been antsy about pricing the Vita versions. The Japanese side never talked prices until now.

That's Wind's Crest from the international version of FFX-2, not sure exactly where it plays

Thanks. I'm really curious as to when it is played. Maybe it is a The Last Mission exclusive track, if it only is in the International edition of X-2.

are any of the songs on the site part of the remastered tracks or they are just the originals?
btw, love the new japanese site.

They are all original tracks. The only remastered piece we've heard is the battle theme. Apparently, more than half of both game's OSTs are remastered. Someone had said months ago that around 60 of the original game's 98-some tracks were remastered, which is kind of crazy when you think about it. I hope they haven't messed with nostalgia too much.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Yoshinori Kitase again promoting the possibility of FFXII on Vita if these HD remakes do well. He also brings up some interesting points.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=695290
In other words we all need to do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWoYmTAfDbk

and then this:
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Aurizen

I am so mad that the release dates for NA havent been released! ugh! why must this take so long. As Auron said "how long must we wait" I mean there have been remaster that have been months! like 6 months. Persona Golden was only a year or so, and it has more work done to it than FFX HD has been. The content of X has been on par with japanese content. this would lead us to believe its being worked on the same time :(

FFX for ps2 hasnt taken this long to be made. It was announced in 2000 released in 2001... The HD remaster announed 2011 released 2013 & 2014... what logic is this?!? a game that has already been created and finished is taking longer to convert and remaster... SE needs to get their priority straightened.. and the new CEO needs to do something about this ASAP.

I am so mad that the release dates for NA havent been released! ugh! why must this take so long. As Auron said "how long must we wait" I mean there have been remaster that have been months! like 6 months. Persona Golden was only a year or so, and it has more work done to it than FFX HD has been. The content of X has been on par with japanese content. this would lead us to believe its being worked on the same time :(

FFX for ps2 hasnt taken this long to be made. It was announced in 2000 released in 2001... The HD remaster announed 2011 released 2013 & 2014... what logic is this?!? a game that has already been created and finished is taking longer to convert and remaster... SE needs to get their priority straightened.. and the new CEO needs to do something about this ASAP.

this is square enix.
english release will be 1 or 2 months later, like they normally do (for some reason) although since this is a remaster with all the translations already done, its possible it may come sooner.
but yeah, i dont know how this can take so long.

Aurizen

this is square enix.
english release will be 1 or 2 months later, like they normally do (for some reason) although since this is a remaster with all the translations already done, its possible it may come sooner.
but yeah, i dont know how this can take so long.

we know it'll be in 2014.... but when I'm calling the week of january 14th

Andy the cook

Neo Member
I really hope that we get physical vita copies in na. if not then I'll just import the double pack, That box art is just too good to pass up.

B.K.

I suppose there's no chance of the games having an English text option? I'd import the physical Vita versions, if they had multiple text options, like the PSP Final Fantasy ports they released over the last few years.

Famassu

Bleh, there are simple reasons why this is taking long. Reasons I've described just a few posts above yours but I'll restate here.

1) They announced this collection in late 2011, but they didn't start working on it right away, it was just more of an acknowledgement that yeah, we haven't forgotten FFX happened ten years ago and we'll be doing this HD collection to celebrate that. They were busy with FFXIV failing and finishing FFXIII-2 at the time so they didn't & couldn't start to work on this until after they were finished with XIII-2, well into 2012.

2) with your comparison to Persona 4 Golden, you're forgetting that they are remastering not one, but TWO games (+ Last Mission, which is like a (simple) separate game in itself). Two games that are vastly superior to Persona 4 as far as the technical side & complexity goes. Both FFX & X-2 pushed the PS2 hardware. Persona 4... looks like a souped up PS1 game. And they are upgrading quite a lot of stuff (they are touching up most textures, character models, re-arranging the OST etc.).

3) You do understand that when they developed FFX for PS2 originally, they had a huge team working on it? These HD Remasters aren't being worked on such huge teams. Taking ~1,5 years isn't that long for HD remasters (of more than a single game). Zone of the Enders HD Collection was announced at E3 2011 and released almost 1,5 years later. And that was a horrible rush job and they took another year to fix Zone of the Enders 2 (and even that on just one platform). And those are both games are just a couple/few hours long, whereas both X & X-2 are huge JRPGs, so there's a lot more work to be done. It just seems you are vastly underestimating how long some PS2 games' remastering into HD can take, especially ones like Zone of the Enders 2 & Final Fantasies that really push the hardware to its limits and especially if you want to do a good job. We do have examples of remasters done more quickly, but those are the likes of Prince of Persia HD Trilogy, which are crap.

4) FFX & X-2 are being ported to two platforms. Given the fact that FFX & X-2 both use the trickery of the PS2 hardware to the max, getting them to run on a platform like Vita is probably not that easy.

As to why it isn't releasing in the west this year, I dunno. Could be that they can barely get it out by the end of December in Japan and while they feel comfortable to release it in Japan so late in December, they think it's better to just delay it by a few weeks instead of release it at a time when a lot of people are not buying games in the west.

Squire

Banned
Famassu said:
As to why it isn't releasing in the west this year, I dunno. Could be that they can barely get it out by the end of December in Japan and while they feel comfortable to release it in Japan so late in December, they think it's better to just delay it by a few weeks instead of release it at a time when a lot of people are not buying games in the west.

Japan isn't getting new consoles this year, for one. Even without those, December is a dead zone in the west. They're bringing this out the day after in JP. In NA, that's like a literal death sentence.

It's the same reason LR was delayed; it would probably bomb if they didn't.

Aurizen

Bleh, there are simple reasons why this is taking long. Reasons I've described just a few posts above yours but I'll restate here.

1) They announced this collection in late 2011, but they didn't start working on it right away, it was just more of an acknowledgement that yeah, we haven't forgotten FFX happened ten years ago and we'll be doing this HD collection to celebrate that. They were busy with FFXIV failing and finishing FFXIII-2 at the time so they didn't & couldn't start to work on this until after they were finished with XIII-2, well into 2012.

2) with your comparison to Persona 4 Golden, you're forgetting that they are remastering not one, but TWO games (+ Last Mission, which is like a (simple) separate game in itself). Two games that are vastly superior to Persona 4 as far as the technical side & complexity goes. Both FFX & X-2 pushed the PS2 hardware. Persona 4... looks like a souped up PS1 game. And they are upgrading quite a lot of stuff (they are touching up most textures, character models, re-arranging the OST etc.).

3) You do understand that when they developed FFX for PS2 originally, they had a huge team working on it? These HD Remasters aren't being worked on such huge teams. Taking ~1,5 years isn't that long for HD remasters (of more than a single game). Zone of the Enders HD Collection was announced at E3 2011 and released almost 1,5 years later. And that was a horrible rush job and they took another year to fix Zone of the Enders 2 (and even that on just one platform). And those are both games are just a couple/few hours long, whereas both X & X-2 are huge JRPGs, so there's a lot more work to be done. It just seems you are vastly underestimating how long some PS2 games' remastering into HD can take, especially ones like Zone of the Enders 2 & Final Fantasies that really push the hardware to its limits and especially if you want to do a good job. We do have examples of remasters done more quickly, but those are the likes of Prince of Persia HD Trilogy, which are crap.

4) FFX & X-2 are being ported to two platforms. Given the fact that FFX & X-2 both use the trickery of the PS2 hardware to the max, getting them to run on a platform like Vita is probably not that easy.

Very detailed responce, Thank you!

I just hoped for world wide release, :( or at least the same month... would be something if the NA version came out before the Japanese. but thats the impossible.

XJF

How has Play-Asia already pre-sold their allotment of this? I checked it almost hourly on my phone and had notifications set up. I'm going to be super pissed if I don't get one of these..

Polyphonic

Neo Member
I haven't really kept up with the news for the remaster... Does anyone know if they got around to fixing some of the facial models and animations as compared to the original game?

AmanoBuff

Here's a couple of translations courtesy of the Vita thread:

My terrible Japanese thinks the PS2 one says "Looks beautiful today" or something like that? Can't read the Kanji for the rest to decipher the meaning lol.

Basically... it's just

PS2: Beautiful even now.
PSVita: "Larger" than PS2 but can be brought anywhere! Recommended to people who wants bring it around.
PS3: Much much bigger. Recommended for people who wants to play it on the most beautiful screens.

------------------------------------------------------

Anyone think we should contact Robert Peeler for info on a US release?

Take it easy. I'm sure we'll get our release info sooner than later.

Think about it Aurizen: In February of this year we knew absolutely nothing of these games. Now 7 months later we are closer to release. The worst part is already behind man, just be patient and you'll be playing FFX in 2 or 3 months.

And also, don't bump unnecessarily ;)

raven777

BWsYUUCCYAEq2Xw.jpg:large

this is just telling you to double-dip since you can do cross-save data and trophy.

I really hope these resolution numbers are native.

Aurizen

Here's a couple of translations courtesy of the Vita thread:

------------------------------------------------------

Take it easy. I'm sure we'll get our release info sooner than later.

Think about it Aurizen: In February of this year we knew absolutely nothing of these games. Now 7 months later we are closer to release. The worst part is already behind man, just be patient and you'll be playing FFX in 2 or 3 months.

And also, don't bump unnecessarily ;)

2-3 months is fine but after December im screwed because im not on break :(

Top Bottom