• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster - 12/26 Japanese release (for real this time)

krossj

The vita double pack cover art looks great and glad to see them use the Amano work for the boxes. Very much looking forward to playing X again and giving X-2 another try.

I just feel like they're missing an opportunity to have a new FF out for the holiday season. When this releases, it'll likely be close to LR's release and one is surely gonna overshadow the other.

Looks like they polished X HD up a bit.

Before:

After:
fPvzLO1.jpg

hmmm, like at TGS, his hair is covering his eyes for some reason. It never did in the original.. His hair looks weird now.
other than that its good

for reference, here is the original PS2 ver and the original HD shot (from months ago)
5I5uvRj.jpg

Shahed

While it's nice to see a release date, I was hoping on a discounted bundle in order to get both the PS3 and Vita versions

Squire

Banned
December 26...didn't they do the same thing with Crystal Chronicles for Wii in North America several years ago?

They did this with XIII-2 two years ago. It was out around the same time in Japan and the west got it at the end of January.

They're not going to put this out in the US between Christmas and New Years when no one would notice and no one is buying games because they probably just got some for Christmas. No chance.

Durante

It just looks like they've added more contrast, and a worse amount at that, and fucked up his hair.
No, the face geometry is much closer to the original, and IMHO much better than the initial HD version.

And the gamma/contrast now also matches the original, it was washed out for no reason.

EhoaVash

Lol how far back was this announced 2011? what took them so long when nintendo can pump out wind waker HD in 6 months.

also wow I completely forgot how terrible the characters in this game are dressed.

His hair looks stupid, the way it covers his eyes looks hilariously unnatural. They should've made it look closer to the CG model. And made him look more Asian. Also, his hair in the old version looked kinda more realistic than the original game. Here, it looks fake again.

1171650113_ypicstidus.jpg

Actually, I wish they would've remade it completely, with visuals closer to the CG. Oh well. As long as Auron looks good, I'm cool.

Squire

Banned
Lol how far back was this announced 2011? what took them so long when nintendo can pump out wind waker HD in 6 months.

also wow I completely forgot how terrible the characters in this game are dressed.

It took them too long, but they probably didn't want it to look like shit. WWHD looks like someone ran around the world throwing Vaseline on everyone and everything.

This is 2 games plus eternal calm and last mission. They didn't even start it for a long time because they threw everything at FF XIV

raven777

This makes me realise that all the FF boxart would be so much better like this, with the Amano art more prominent and the FF logo smaller and to the side. Anyone care to photoshop some of the others to see how cool they would look like this?

Yea I think this is better style. Type-0 did the same thing.

Hope future mainline FFs (starting XV) do this.

FFXII (EU) also uses a larger Amano pic.

I prefer Tidus' hair now I think. That one shot isn't the best but the look of it is more in line with the CG and Nomura art than the previous HD shots.

My bias aside(my avy) I think VIII was his most clean and well done artwork.

While I enjoyed X's visual flair and colours, sometimes the designs just went too overboard and were all over the place. Lulu and Tidus's clothing are prime examples. That's not to say I don't love his X work, it's one of my favourites, it's just those kind of things keep me from considering it his best.

But most of his work I enjoy and find things to love. VIII just happens to be my favourite of his along with Parasite Eve.

Nomura's character designs combined with Yusuke Naora's art direction (location/world/architecture designs) made FFVIII so absolutely wonderful. Outside of what my mind creates for what FFVI could look like (beyond the 2D sprites), VIII is easily my favorite FF from an artistic standpoint. FFX was a nice successor to it.

Tik-Tok

What are the odds that if I hold out on this it will come out on PS4?
I'd really like to play it but I know once I setup the ps4 the ps3 is gonna be neglected.

Carlisle

It makes me so sad this is isn't cross-buy. I've got PS3 version preordered for the bonus and because it'll look sweet on the TV and it's cheaper. But it won't get nearly as much playtime as the Vita version would :( So torn.

AmanoBuff

I'm expecting anywhere between April and July 2014 for this in NA.

Thats nice for Japan, but what about NA/EU? I'm going to say May of next year. :/

The western trailer says Winter, so it will be April 21st at the most, although I'm guessing a lot sooner than that.

I called it!, It'll be the end of December..

I'm still wondering about the Vita pricing. They kept silent about that until the last minute in Japan.

As usual, SE made the mistake of announcing something way to early. I suppose it was in oreder to show some support for when the Vita was announced.

About the long time they took for this.

- Iirc, SE has a team of only a few people working on these remasters.
- This is a true remaster. Most of the textures and character models have been completely redone.
- These are two very long games, both of them quite longer than WW on their main quests. And if we add all the extra content, we are looking at 5-6 times the length of WW.
- don't forget these games are also coming to Vita, which needs its own development/porting team and schedule.

All in all, these games were a much more complex project than WW. And with both if them coming out at just $40, I really can't complain.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/ffx_x-2HD/

Holy Fuck at the music on this site especially the 3rd one.

Yeah, holy shit. What is that music anyway ? It is nowhere in the original game nor is it in X-2, unless it was exclusively in The Last Mission, which I have not played.

It is so goddamn beautiful. I wouldn't mind them inserting it somewhere in the game.

Also, are we getting physical releases of the Vita versions after all ?

Squire

Banned
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/ffx_x-2HD/

Holy Fuck at the music on this site especially the 3rd one.

Yeah, holy shit. What is that music anyway ? It is nowhere in the original game nor is it in X-2, unless it was exclusively in The Last Mission, which I have not played.

It is so goddamn beautiful. I wouldn't mind them inserting it somewhere in the game.

Also, are we getting physical releases of the Vita versions after all ?

You guys don't remember that song? It's "Someday The Dream Will End". Plays towards the end of the game. Very intense/sad piece.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
hmmm, like at TGS, his hair is covering his eyes for some reason. It never did in the original.. His hair looks weird now.
other than that its good

for reference, here is the original PS2 ver and the original HD shot (from months ago)

Maybe it's to hide the dead eyes :p

Top Bottom