• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_chris

I been thinking about getting back into XI. I haven't been on since 2007.
Has leveling up gotten faster?
Anything major besides expansions and chocobos?

Mailman 007

Neo Member
dark_chris said:
I been thinking about getting back into XI. I haven't been on since 2007.
Has leveling up gotten faster?
Anything major besides expansions and chocobos?

Much faster. Level sync allows you to party at any level whenever. It pretty much saved the game imo.

Mailman 007 said:
Much faster. Level sync allows you to party at any level whenever. It pretty much saved the game imo.

How about that 3Dsecure crap? It stopped me from playing before... i'm looking forward to FFXIV, but i'm doubting that it will be better than XI so i'd rather play this.

Teknoman

-WindYoshi- said:
How about that 3Dsecure crap? It stopped me from playing before... i'm looking forward to FFXIV, but i'm doubting that it will be better than XI so i'd rather play this.

Well...not saying dont play XI, but lets not jump to conclusions.

Teknoman said:
Well...not saying dont play XI, but lets not jump to conclusions.

Well I mean, I don't think XIV will be bad... it's just that from what I played of FFXI, I LOVED the job system and XIV seems to be quite different... i'll just have to wait and see.

BooJoh

I bought FFXI way back when it was just Zilart and I only played for the free month, but I still have my POL account and info.

I just bought the Ultimate Collection on Steam for $5. If I understand correctly, I can activate that on my existing POL account, but what I'm wondering is if that will prevent me from using the Adventurer Recruitment program with an existing player. Should I just make a new POL account to be safe? Or am I screwed altogether because I have the same address as before?

So I tried to log in to PlayOnline today in order to grab some details of my account so I could sign up to the FFXIV beta, and I was greeted by an update. After the update finished a message popped up on the screen saying:

'This account has been banned due to a violation of the PlayOnline or Final Fantasy XI agreements.'

I've played FFXI since about 2005 and I've never done anything that could possibly get me banned. I don't use any third party programmes since I play on 360, and I hadn't even touched the game for about a month and it was working fine then. The thought of never being able to play FFXI after the YEARS effort I put into it makes me feel sick. I haven't even done anything wrong and I feel cheated. I think PlayOnline even charged me for this month, and I don't even know how long my account has been banned for.

Any suggestions on anything I can do? I checked the website and it said -

'An account ban permanently revokes PlayOnline membership and is carried out by the Account Administrator in the event of a severe violation. Accounts that have been banned will not be reinstated under any circumstances.'

So it's pretty much all over right?

Rawk Hawk

BooJoh said:
I bought FFXI way back when it was just Zilart and I only played for the free month, but I still have my POL account and info.

I just bought the Ultimate Collection on Steam for $5. If I understand correctly, I can activate that on my existing POL account, but what I'm wondering is if that will prevent me from using the Adventurer Recruitment program with an existing player. Should I just make a new POL account to be safe? Or am I screwed altogether because I have the same address as before?

You may be able to contact SE to get your old log in information, although you should be able to create another, families play together, so your address being the same as a different user shouldn't cause any problems.

Scythian Empire said:
So I tried to log in to PlayOnline today in order to grab some details of my account so I could sign up to the FFXIV beta, and I was greeted by an update. After the update finished a message popped up on the screen saying:

'This account has been banned due to a violation of the PlayOnline or Final Fantasy XI agreements.'

I've played FFXI since about 2005 and I've never done anything that could possibly get me banned. I don't use any third party programmes since I play on 360, and I hadn't even touched the game for about a month and it was working fine then. The thought of never being able to play FFXI after the YEARS effort I put into it makes me feel sick. I haven't even done anything wrong and I feel cheated. I think PlayOnline even charged me for this month, and I don't even know how long my account has been banned for.

Any suggestions on anything I can do? I checked the website and it said -

'An account ban permanently revokes PlayOnline membership and is carried out by the Account Administrator in the event of a severe violation. Accounts that have been banned will not be reinstated under any circumstances.'

So it's pretty much all over right?

Possibly your account got hacked and the user was banned or there is just a glitch in their system, either way you should be able to contact them and have either fixed. They should be able to see someone else's IP address logging into your account. It might take them a few weeks, but they should be able to restore your account.

If my account was hacked then is there any way they could of got hold of my payment information? Or has my character been changed in any way?

I'll contact support tonight and see what they say. I haven't logged into PlayOnline for a while and I can't remember my new password, and apparently my current email address isn't valid so I can't get them to email me it. So at the moment I can't actually log into the website...

BooJoh

Well I just started the registration process, got up to the payment portion, got confused as heck trying to figure out all this 3D Secure stuff, only to come to the conclusion that I won't be able to use my card to pay for FFXI, and probably XIV too.

Oh well, back to WoW I guess.

Rawk Hawk

Scythian Empire said:
If my account was hacked then is there any way they could of got hold of my payment information? Or has my character been changed in any way?

I'll contact support tonight and see what they say. I haven't logged into PlayOnline for a while and I can't remember my new password, and apparently my current email address isn't valid so I can't get them to email me it. So at the moment I can't actually log into the website...

I don't believe you can view card information, so if you were hacked I don't think they can.. but I really can't say for sure. Personally, when I check my information it's all blocked out but the last 4 digits, but then again I'm not a hacker and don't know what they have access too. If your password and email are no longer valid, that's normally a good sign your account was hacked.

Teknoman

BooJoh said:
Well I just started the registration process, got up to the payment portion, got confused as heck trying to figure out all this 3D Secure stuff, only to come to the conclusion that I won't be able to use my card to pay for FFXI, and probably XIV too.

Oh well, back to WoW I guess.

XIV doesnt use the same system as XI, so thats probably not going to be an issue. Also not sure whats confusing during the sign up process. Seemed pretty straightforward when I did it.

LaneDS

Jumped on that Steam midweek sale on a whim. I assume the free month only applies to new accounts? Either way, for $5 and the ability to have the whole game available as a digital download, I was sold (never picked up the three mini expansions).

I'm currently chatting to online support about my recent 'Banning' and I hope they can compensate me for fucking things up. Would be good if they could switch servers for me, I've always wanted to play with GAF. How much does it cost to switch servers anyways?

Edit - I just finished chatting with SE support and I asked them to give me a reason as to why my account had been banned.

SEL Agent Ife: Your IP is linked to to some case of hack
Me: Right, thank you
Me: That's what my friend think had happened
Me: Well is there any way to restore my account?
SEL Agent Ife: This is a permanent ban.
Me: ...But you said my account had been hacked?
Me: So it's not my fault
SEL Agent Ife: We can run an investigation
SEL Agent Ife: No
SEL Agent Ife: We said your IP address has been linked to hacking
SEL Agent Ife: Or at least the IP thas was monitored at the time when the account got stopped.

They're going to start an investigation to see if my account had been compromised, and I had to send them an email with a copy of my ID.

The only thing I'm worried about is they asked me to give them a date of the last time I logged out of the game, and I couldn't remember for the life of me. I told them it was AT LEAST a month ago, but then It really could have been as late as April. I'm worried that I've given them the wrong date and they wouldn't be able to see if someone else has logged in during my absence. If they can't find anything then I'll just have to say goodbye to FFXI forever, and wait until XIV, which I'm not really too happy about as XI has a pretty deep place in my heart... Or at least it did.

Rawk Hawk

Scythian Empire said:
I'm currently chatting to online support about my recent 'Banning' and I hope they can compensate me for fucking things up. Would be good if they could switch servers for me, I've always wanted to play with GAF. How much does it cost to switch servers anyways?

I doubt they will compensate you, best thing they will do is lock you out of the character for a few weeks to take their time fixing the issue. Transferring servers is $25 accoring to PlayOnline's site. (http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/intro/optional/wd_transfer01.html)

EDIT: They should be able to see where the IP address was coming from, so even if you said a month ago, and that's when the hacker was using your account, they should be able to see that and correct it accordingly.

I don't know their rules on lifting a perma ban though, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Rawk Hawk said:
I doubt they will compensate you, best thing they will do is lock you out of the character for a few weeks to take their time fixing the issue. Transferring servers is $25 accoring to PlayOnline's site. (http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/intro/optional/wd_transfer01.html)

EDIT: They should be able to see where the IP address was coming from, so even if you said a month ago, and that's when the hacker was using your account, they should be able to see that and correct it accordingly.

I don't know their rules on lifting a perma ban though, guess we'll have to wait and see.

The price isn't too bad then. If I can get my account back then I'll consider switching. Is there any way to change your characters name when you world transfer?

Also, could I create a new content ID and start again in your server if they can't lift my perma ban?

Rawk Hawk

Scythian Empire said:
The price isn't too bad then. If I can get my account back then I'll consider switching. Is there any way to change your characters name when you world transfer?

Also, could I create a new content ID and start again in your server if they can't lift my perma ban?

I don't think you can change your name just because you want too. But according to the link, you will need to change it if someone on the server already has that name. Could see if someone wants to create a mule with your name so it would force you to change, or check FFXIAH.com and see if someone already has the same name.

If they can't lift the ban, I suppose you could start a new content ID. Although being the owner of a banned account, I would assume if they found out you'd be insta-banned.

demigod

Scythian Empire said:
SEL Agent Ife: Your IP is linked to to some case of hack
Me: Right, thank you
Me: That's what my friend think had happened
Me: Well is there any way to restore my account?
SEL Agent Ife: This is a permanent ban.
Me: ...But you said my account had been hacked?
Me: So it's not my fault
SEL Agent Ife: We can run an investigation
SEL Agent Ife: No
SEL Agent Ife: We said your IP address has been linked to hacking
SEL Agent Ife: Or at least the IP thas was monitored at the time when the account got stopped.

Read that carefully dude, they said you were hacking. Is there something you're not telling us? There's a difference between hacking and being hacked. In this case they said someone was using a hack from your IP address. Were you using some sort of a bot say....speedbot?

If you're innocent, keep pestering them. If you weren't, I'd say you're SOL.

If anyone starting on a new account and plan on subscribing for at least 3 months, PM me so i can give you a Gold pass before creating your character so we both can get lunar/sol caps down the road!

V_Arnold

This **** is unbelivable.
Cant config it properly to run in windowed 1280*720, and client crashes if I alt tab, PlayOnline says "lost full screen" - hell yeah, I tabbed out, dear PO o_o

And I used the config from Steam to set it to max detail AND windowed - did not work.
And I manually found a config exe inside Steam / Apps / FFXI , set that to max detail AND windowed - did not work?

So anyone knows what magic will turn into this 640*480 to fullscreen sized blurry mess into something from after 1999? :(

Edit: Alrighty. Apparently, there are 3 different configs, one for each region. Alright, dealing with EU helped. Btw uncompressed for textures is the best, right?

Rawk Hawk

demigod said:
Read that carefully dude, they said you were hacking. Is there something you're not telling us? There's a difference between hacking and being hacked. In this case they said someone was using a hack from your IP address. Were you using some sort of a bot say....speedbot?

If anyone starting on a new account and plan on subscribing for at least 3 months, PM me so i can give you a Gold pass before creating your character so we both can get lunar/sol caps down the road!

Hmm good point, although my worry for him is SE might find out an IP address from somewhere else did access his account and still not do anything. I'm sure they aren't oblivious to people selling their accounts. Could sell the account online, then report it as hacked and get the account back to resell.

But hopefully things work out well.

demigod said:

I've never used any kind of bot or third party system for FFXI. I play on 360 so I don't even know how it would be possible. I'm not interested in other people's characters haha.

I'm completely innocent, and don't know how this could have happened. We'll just have to see what the investigation brings up.

Ok, I usually don't seek consultation from GAF concerning these types of things, but I see FFVI is on sale for $9.99 and offers a free month of play. I've ALWAYS wanted to try it, I even purchased the PS2 version when it was released but ran into some difficulty and couldn't actually play it (I was able return it). So I ask...

Is it worth joining the party THIS late?

Rawk Hawk

Assembly Required said:
Ok, I usually don't seek consultation from GAF concerning these types of things, but I see FFVI is on sale for $9.99 and offers a free month of play. I've ALWAYS wanted to try it, I even purchased the PS2 version when it was released but ran into some difficulty and couldn't actually play it (I was able return it). So I ask...

Is it worth joining the party THIS late?

Depends on the time you will invest. Much like any MMO. With FFXIV coming up soon you could wait for that, but if it's some you always wanted to play, try out FFXI for the free month.

pancakesandsex said:
Maybe try running it as admin?

There's 3 different versions of the utility in the Steam folder, looks like Steam was loading the wrong one. Got it working now.

I used to play ages ago but can't remember anything about my old account/any of my serial numbers so I guess I'll be starting fresh.

Baloonatic said:
There's 3 different versions of the utility in the Steam folder, looks like Steam was loading the wrong one. Got it working now.

I used to play ages ago but can't remember anything about my old account/any of my serial numbers so I guess I'll be starting fresh.

I'm headed on right now, you want a pearl? You probably should start in sandy, they seem to dominate the server.

pancakesandsex said:
I'm headed on right now, you want a pearl? You probably should start in sandy, they seem to dominate the server.

Is the starting city ring you get not really worth it? I was going to play Galka and you need to be in Bastok for the ring.

I'm off to work now, thanks though. I'll start tomorrow.

Anti Green

Neo Member
I used to play many years ago and have decided to finally get back into it with a new account when it was on sale on Steam this week. How is the population and economy on Sylph server?

Anti Green said:
I used to play many years ago and have decided to finally get back into it with a new account when it was on sale on Steam this week. How is the population and economy on Sylph server?

There are some pretty active people in the ls and the economy is probably way better than you are used to.

For example: http://www.ffxiah.com/item/13748/vermillion-cloak

Also, for you new folks who obviously have steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/starsofdestiny

Join the steam group and come say hi in the chat.

Slime

Banned
So I just started up again and, I really have to wonder, how realistic is it that I'm actually going to be able to make any progress like this? I mean FoV certainly makes those early levels easier to stomach, but everything's so barren. No one's been around to party up with, and there's like nothing in the AH. I feel like I'm at a standstill!

Sucks because I really only wanted to complete the missions, something I'm ashamed to say I've never done.

B.K.

Slime said:
No one's been around to party up with, and there's like nothing in the AH. I feel like I'm at a standstill!

The only auction houses that ever have anything are the ones in Jeuno and Aht Urghan.

Slime said:
So I just started up again and, I really have to wonder, how realistic is it that I'm actually going to be able to make any progress like this? I mean FoV certainly makes those early levels easier to stomach, but everything's so barren. No one's been around to party up with, and there's like nothing in the AH. I feel like I'm at a standstill!

Sucks because I really only wanted to complete the missions, something I'm ashamed to say I've never done.

There are still plenty of people in the dunes partying all the time. Don't worry too much about the first 2 zones. It's not that there is nobody around, it's just that they aren't partying in those spots. If anyone needs pearls hit me up tomorrow. Don't worry too much about AH gear till you're higher level anyway, just get a cheap set from the npc and go as far as you can with it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I upgraded my GPU from a GTX 360, to 460 and now FFXI runs terribly. Other games run fine. Any ideas? I turned physx to CPU not GPU (cant see to find option to just turn it off anymore).

Ravidrath

DrForester said:
So I upgraded my GPU from a GTX 360, to 460 and now FFXI runs terribly. Other games run fine. Any ideas? I turned physx to CPU not GPU (cant see to find option to just turn it off anymore).

Sometime in the distant past FFXI had problems with nVidia cards... tried approved drivers, etc.? I think they're listed on the site, or probably on BG?

Mailman 007

Neo Member
288bhis.png

2euquqa.png

Boss Man

Yeah, I was looking at FFXIV and hoping that it'd be really close to FFXI. Then I realized that I could still play FFXI. I wasted enough money on the main series trying to fill the void that was left after IX before I realized that playing it on my PSP is a lot more fun than trying to like the newer games. I'll be on FFXI for as long as I enjoy it, and I bet a lot of people will return to FFXI after they try FFXIV if it isn't what they expected it to be. The class system and the world are just irreplaceable for me, and (at least on PC- which is very easy to do now), the graphics have held up very well.

The only thing that FFXIV brings to the table is more personal freedom, but FFXI has been making big strides in that area for a while now and it's managed to do it without the consequence of ruining the experience of a long, tough trial with big rewards- which is really what makes the game (and maybe the series as a whole) to me.

Anyone else on Bismarck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom