• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Narag said:
I'd even go as far to say its downright unfun without a good LS. FFXI lives and dies by its community and damn if it isn't fun to help and be helped actually appreciative folk.

Actually its kinda like a normal offline FF game in that respect. The fun doesnt really start until you start finding other "party members".

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
demigod said:
It really doesn't take that long to lvl low lvls. How long did it take you to do all that? If you're serious about playing I suggest you come to Fairy where you'll have people to help you out. This game is really tough to play without a linkshell, especially for new starters.

I started on Level 11 when I retrieved my character. It took me 2 hours to get to 12 last night. I got to level 15 today after about 6-7 hours (I got home earlier than I expected).

I'm NOT skilled at this.

RurouniZel said:
I started on Level 11 when I retrieved my character. It took me 2 hours to get to 12 last night. I got to level 15 today after about 6-7 hours (I got home earlier than I expected).

I'm NOT skilled at this.

Are you soloing or in a party?

We had a exp party last night in the dunes.. that went for about 6 hours.. and one guy got from lv 10 to lv 18 in that time.

Teknoman said:
We were there that long? Wow...had no idea.

well, you left before that.. it continued for another hr or two after you and Kare left.

It was almost 5 am EST before I finally gave out :lol

RurouniZel said:

I'm NOT skilled at this.

It goes faster if you have help. a lot faster. All that time spent healing? Don't need to waste it if you have help from a healer. Things like that make it go so much faster.

RurouniZel

pancakesandsex said:
It goes faster if you have help. a lot faster. All that time spent healing? Don't need to waste it if you have help from a healer. Things like that make it go so much faster.

Yeah, I'm solo at the moment. >.> I'll think about it later, but not right now.

Ulairi

Banned
Velion said:
Yep a bit more solo friendly although partying is the "faster" way to lvl up, and yes you still lvl down if you die very close into your lvl.
Character creator uses CG-ish models.

That sucks. I was hoping my character would like the character creator model. Well, I guess I'll have to wait for XIV to get into FF online.

RurouniZel said:
Yeah, I'm solo at the moment. >.> I'll think about it later, but not right now.
Where are you playing? Are you on Fairy? If so why arent you in the GAF Linkshell? We can help!

Robobandit said:
Are you soloing or in a party?

We had a exp party last night in the dunes.. that went for about 6 hours.. and one guy got from lv 10 to lv 18 in that time.

That was me!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wow, nice to see it still has a healthy community.

So I just started up Phantasy Star Universe again and I'm considering FFXI as well. I've never gone past like 25 in FFXI so I'm thinking why not give it a go while I wait for FFXIV?

What do I need to know for jumping back in at this time?

Alex

Ulairi said:
That sucks. I was hoping my character would like the character creator model. Well, I guess I'll have to wait for XIV to get into FF online.

It's better to wait, XI is really antiqued and unfriendly nowadays. XI with modernization is why so many of us look forward to XIV. Lots of brilliant gems in the rubble. And that damned art direction is so great because, yknow, it looks like how Final Fantasy is supposed to fuckin' look.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Alex said:
It's better to wait, XI is really antiqued and unfriendly nowadays. XI with modernization is why so many of us look forward to XIV. Lots of brilliant gems in the rubble. And that damned art direction is so great because, yknow, it looks like how Final Fantasy is supposed to fuckin' look.

Huh?

Except 14 will have a world with tech mixed in ... so... win?

Either way.. if you are wanting to try out FFXI - I highly recommend it.

This is coming from someone who just joined a week and a half ago (Christmas Eve).

Read below for my take on it..

I purchased FFXI when it first came out. I made a Taru BLM and after some confusing crowded areas I finally hit Lvl 10. I started to venture out and I actually died a few times and kept de-leveling. I got so pissed at the game and how stupid de-leveling was that I actually quit. Never touched it and talked trash about it for years...

I decided to try it out thanks to the Steam sale and joined the GAF Linkshell. This game.. HEAVILY relies on community. I think that if I joined a Linkshell immediately or had one to join early on then I would have enjoyed it at launch but not doing so killed me. With the GAF Linkshell and the help and guidance in understanding the game.. it has made this experience 900000 better. You dont have to do everything with everyone .. just a few things and it makes it so much better.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Less than half an hour of time to buy FFXI on steam for $11, if anyone's still considering!

I just found out you could change the music in the POL viewer yesterday, so I selected all the tracks to play at random. There is some awesome stuff in there. Is there a compilation soundtrack of just those tunes somewhere?

Nakazato

pancakesandsex said:
I just found out you could change the music in the POL viewer yesterday, so I selected all the tracks to play at random. There is some awesome stuff in there. Is there a compilation soundtrack of just those tunes somewhere?
lol im not sure if there is a compilation but you should listen to the Jazz song and space. Jazz with the city back round sounds very good

RurouniZel

TurtleSnatcher said:
Why did you join Midgarsormr instead of Fairy! :p

Because my old character was still there at Level 11. I thought "Well, why start at Level 1 again when I can start at 11 this time?"

RurouniZel said:
Because my old character was still there at Level 11. I thought "Well, why start at Level 1 again when I can start at 11 this time?"

Come to fairy and I'll hook you up with some good starter gear for your job :-D

RurouniZel said:

Hah..
Come to Fairy. I will follow you around with my WHM and you will be lvl 10-11 in 2 hrs max.

Edeuinu

2 years later I hopped back in. Left before WotG.

Unlocked DNC and hit level 11 with it so far. Awesome job btw, but Fields of Valor kicks so much ass too.

Luckily my old (7+ year) casual LS is still around with the orig LS leader I met way back when, which is kinda cool.

Debating on switching to Fairy since there's a few people I know but either way, good stuff.

Anyone playing on PC I urge you to get Windower and Fraps.

My add/remove programs shows FFXI as 8.4gb.

Fuck. Just bought it through Steam. I'm so weak. The lack of deals the last couple of days pretty much meant I could spend money on this. Always preferred my experience in FFXI to WoW. I'll play this casually up until XIV is released.

So Fairy is the place to go for [blow][job][mithra].

DoctorWho said:
Fuck. Just bought it through Steam. I'm so weak. The lack of deals the last couple of days pretty much meant I could spend money on this. Always preferred my experience in FFXI to WoW. I'll play this casually up until XIV is released.

So Fairy is the place to go for [blow][job][mithra].

Yep, we're all on fairy.

Teknoman

Nakazato said:
lol im not sure if there is a compilation but you should listen to the Jazz song and space. Jazz with the city back round sounds very good

Arent those composed by the same woman who did X-2's tracks?

Joei

Do they still do character recovery if you've canceled yours, in this case a few years ago?

ffxi_2010.01.03_23.42.45.png

Just wanna say thanks to everyone who helped out with A Crystalline Prophecy. That last fight went amazingly well. Jbird has his going on right now and I hope it's goes even half as smoothly as it did on my run.

Here were the setups for anyone interested:

Roena - RDM/DRK
sacan - RDM/WHM
deemon - SMN/WHM
spiderlily - SMN/WHM
gohne - PLD/WAR
------------------------
jbird - SAM/WAR
pancakesandsx - THF/NIN

We used the "stairs" approach, where only the tank (gohne) approaches the crystal, and constantly runs back and forth towards the area east of the stairs to get healed. The rest of us stood outside of AoE range.

Roena was stunning and backup healing.
Sacan was main healing and support nuking
Deemon and Spiderlily cast garuda and used it's claw move as often as they could
My job (and Jbirds in the second ongoing run) was to keep the clones of the party that spawned off of everyone else and ranged attack like there was no tomorrow.

I was unable to keep full control over the clones, but sacan threw a nuke my way a few times and it didn't interrupt anything.

Fight took about 27 minutes, and it felt crazy rewarding when it finally went down.

Give us the run down on yours when you finish Jbird!

Thrilltacular

Neo Member
pancakesandsex said:
Here were the setups for anyone interested:

Roena - RDM/DRK
sacan - RDM/WHM
deemon - SMN/WHM
spiderlily - SMN/WHM
gohne - PLD/WAR
------------------------
jbird - SAM/WAR
pancakesandsx - THF/NIN

Yeah, the fight isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I remember when ACP was first released, every paladin insisted on subbing RDM, but they didn't know how to keep hate. Doing it with only 1 stunner is pretty ballsy too :lol

Shouta

I need to finish Moogle and if I can get it done, I wouldn't mind getting Shanttoto done

I did ACP as PLD/DRK, pretty easy that way, run away and stun/flash for hate, heh.

Pai Pai Master said:
Shit...I need to start ACP. You guys gonna be doing Moogle and Shantotto soon?

I'm already partway through moogles, havent started shantotto because i need to craft for that.

How I'm approaching these is to slowly work through everything that is soloable on my own and then get people together for fights.

Naturally I'm available to help with any fights you need to do, just lemme know, but I may not be too useful for the final boss. If you can get something better, go for it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Pai Pai Master said:
Shit...I need to start ACP. You guys gonna be doing Moogle and Shantotto soon?
I did the solo stuff about half a day too late. Maybe we can get together.

Ryn

I just started this game a little bit ago after spending like, 3 days updating and fighting with playonline :eek:.

Currently level 7 and got wrecked trying to find King Reverre's(?) tomb. Augh. I feel like such a scrub at this game lol, needless to say the numpad controls are something to get used to.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ryn said:
I just started this game a little bit ago after spending like, 3 days updating and fighting with playonline :eek:.

Currently level 7 and got wrecked trying to find King Reverre's(?) tomb. Augh. I feel like such a scrub at this game lol, needless to say the numpad controls are something to get used to.
You can get an adapter to use a Dual Shock 2 for about $10. You have to have one of those, right?

Got my Summoner to 27 and got 5 out of 6 of the main avatars.

Only one missing is Leviathan cuz I dont have fame in that city yet.

Ive been steam rolling ahead. I really need to work on missions though :lol

Ryn said:

I use the simpler controls - You can change them in the config on the menu and change from numpad to WASD controls. Its much easier to me.

Yea probably shouldnt have been in that tomb yet.. :p I'd say more like Lvl 10.

What server are you on? You need to join the GAF guild if you are on Fairy.

Boss fights in this game are so epic. I love them. The cutscenes etc.

Well, I never thought it would happen.. but I hit 55 on my Ranger.. and that means I need to do limit II!

hopefully it isn't a long and tedious process :lol

Robobandit said:
Well, I never thought it would happen.. but I hit 55 on my Ranger.. and that means I need to do limit II!

hopefully it isn't a long and tedious process :lol

You have to kill 3 NMs in xarcabard and get key items. Doesn't take too long with a few 75s as long as you bring sneak/invis to get around.

sky

pancakesandsex said:
I just found out you could change the music in the POL viewer yesterday, so I selected all the tracks to play at random. There is some awesome stuff in there.
You can also make your own custom background wallpaper, by downloading one of the existing ones and just copying over the same filename with your own picture. :D

pancakesandsex said:
You have to kill 3 NMs in xarcabard and get key items. Doesn't take too long with a few 75s as long as you bring sneak/invis to get around.

sounds like I'll need to make prism powder and silent oil.. or get whm to 25 and sub it.

maybe i'll go the whm route.. that would be useful regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom