• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2013 Seekers of Adoulin |OT| Go West, Young Adventurer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe how easily I fell back into FFXI lol.

Stopped playing for a year, came back for expansion, now I'm playing most hours of the day I'm not sleeping or working. o_O

So if I pick this up, I can just get on the server most of you all play on, right? There used to be something that made that tricky.

And then this game's version of guild is the "linkshell"? I assume that allows the standard MMO stuff of worldwide chat, guild perks and all that?

Yup. They no longer require you to do the whole gold world pass thing. But if a player wanted to do it with you, you get some fun bonus items.

isual

blargh. I'm still stuck at maat. I think i'll just level the other 5 starter jobs, get some advanced jobs, and just play the game as is. blargh

Aeana

How am I supposed to find parties?

9 people seeking party on the whole server (Quetzalcoatl), I don't want to be soloing to 30...
People EXP in alliances now. Starting at 10, you can go to Gusgen and do page 1 in the grounds of valor. There's always an alliance going there. After that (post-30, although you can stay at Gusgen as long as you want thanks to level sync), people tend to move on to Crawler's Nest for a while, then places like the Oubliette. Many people try to enter an Abyssea worms party at 30 and be the key person, but if you've never been and don't have cruor, that isn't an option.

Loona

Isual's on monk Maat iirc.
It might be a bit more entertaining to take a crack at things like early Chains of Promathia missions to see a bit more of the world to take a break from the levelling, which is more of a means to an end (well, at least to me getting story content done is the end).

And then this game's version of guild is the "linkshell"? I assume that allows the standard MMO stuff of worldwide chat, guild perks and all that?

When you're in a linkshell you get a pearl that taks up space in your inventory, which you use to keep in touch with the rest of the group - you can have more than one, but not active at the same time. It works regardlss of the location of the members.

As for worldwide chat, there isn't a universal system, the closest being /shout (a message broacast in a wide area, common in major hubs like Jeuno) and /yell, which works across all major hub zones (all Jeuno city areas, Whitegate and the new Adoulin city areas).

When you're outside those areas you usually can't see that, but if you can keep a browser open while you play, the shouts page at FFXIAH.com is a godsend: http://www.ffxiah.com/shouts - just make sure your server is selected on the top left corner - this has helped me quite a bit in finding shouts for stuff I needed while I was doing something else I could take a break from, from missions to black belt quest items (still need that egg though....)

Isual's on monk Maat iirc.
It might be a bit more entertaining to take a crack at things like early Chains of Promathia missions to see a bit more of the world to take a break from the levelling, which is more of a means to an end (well, at least to me getting story content done is the end).

When you're in a linkshell you get a pearl that taks up space in your inventory, which you use to keep in touch with the rest of the group - you can have more than one, but not active at the same time. It works regardlss of the location of the members.

As for worldwide chat, there isn't a universal system, the closest being /shout (a message broacast in a wide area, common in major hubs like Jeuno) and /yell, which works across all major hub zones (all Jeuno city areas, Whitegate and the new Adoulin city areas).

When you're outside those areas you usually can't see that, but if you can keep a browser open while you play, the shouts page at FFXIAH.com is a godsend: http://www.ffxiah.com/shouts - just make sure your server is selected on the top left corner - this has helped me quite a bit in finding shouts for stuff I needed while I was doing something else I could take a break from, from missions to black belt quest items (still need that egg though....)

Here are the types of chat:

/say - local public chat
/tell - private chat
/party - party chat - works globally as long as you party up first
/linkshell - global chat between anyone with the pearl
/shout - zone wide public chat
/yell - cross zone public chat that works in all areas of jeuno, whitegate, and adoulin. There is a cooldown timer on how often you can yell to avoid spamming. It's short

Loona

Here are the types of chat:

/say - local public chat
/tell - private chat
/party - party chat - works globally as long as you party up first
/linkshell - global chat between anyone with the pearl
/shout - zone wide public chat
/yell - cross zone public chat that works in all areas of jeuno, whitegate, and adoulin. There is a cooldown timer on how often you can yell to avoid spamming. It's short

And their handy abbreviations, if memory sreves me well for those I use less, respectively:

/s
/t
/p
/l
/sh
/y ?

I see you slipped in that sappy vid. I'm pretty sure I've lost my log in info, but with a new gaming PC on the way, it's very tempting to return. It's like revisiting a childhood home.

SwagJesus

Banned
Game is ass now. The expansion under delivered and it will do so until it is updated two to three years down the line.

Not to mention them shitting on peoples R/M/E weapons by adding the skirmish weapons.

My advice, Wait it out.

Game is ass now. The expansion under delivered and it will do so until it is updated two to three years down the line.

Not to mention them shitting on peoples R/M/E weapons by adding the skirmish weapons.

My advice, Wait it out.

Care to elaborate?

Skirmish weapon superiority is both random (the augments that make them "so good" are randomly obtained), and temporary (R/M/E are getting some sort of buff eventually. Matsui alluded to this in a post on the OF). The weapons are powerful, but not all of them math out as the best in every situation ever. Not to mention that discouraging people from jumping in based on the usefulness of a weapon that won't be an option for them for a long time is silly.

There is a great mix of server wide unlockables and personal unlockables that are all being figured out by the community at the moment. We've essentially had small new things to play with almost every week since the expansion arrived. Have you been participating in anything other than beating up colonization reives?

By the end of next week, we should have another update with more content, including another all new battle system, "Delve", which supposedly has a non-completion based reward system. Very interested to see what's in the next datmine.

drkOne

I think nowadays you hit level ~13 and go to Gusgen Mines (13-30+) and there will be a few parties there doing the book quests on repeat, while in the area you collect your Damselfly Worm, Magicked Skull, and Crab Apron for your sub job quest. 30+ you alliance in Abyssea I believe.

Haven't played a in long time but I was reading up on it earlier this week.

Edit: When you walk into Gusgen Mines there will a book like NPC, make sure you grab the quest for killing skeleton family.

People EXP in alliances now. Starting at 10, you can go to Gusgen and do page 1 in the grounds of valor. There's always an alliance going there. After that (post-30, although you can stay at Gusgen as long as you want thanks to level sync), people tend to move on to Crawler's Nest for a while, then places like the Oubliette. Many people try to enter an Abyssea worms party at 30 and be the key person, but if you've never been and don't have cruor, that isn't an option.

Thanks! I haven't played in a while and I'm outdated on the level sync camps...
I should be good once I get to Abyssea, other than the fact it's a real bitch for the first couple runs...

I just remade my char on Bastok, and I picked Sylph this time, gonna try and get a pearl now...

Edit: Most of the people appear to be offline/away.
I'm Asynchrony on Sylph, if any of the sacks happens to see this post before logging in, drop me a tell. My means of travel are quite limited at level 1 tho, so apologies for that.

Thanks! I haven't played in a while and I'm outdated on the level sync camps...
I should be good once I get to Abyssea, other than the fact it's a real bitch for the first couple runs...

I just remade my char on Bastok, and I picked Sylph this time, gonna try and get a pearl now...

Edit: Most of the people appear to be offline/away.
I'm Asynchrony on Sylph, if any of the sacks happens to see this post before logging in, drop me a tell. My means of travel are quite limited at level 1 tho, so apologies for that.

Most people are usually online from 6pm-1am EST Jobs etc.

Toth

My advice, Wait it out.

The expansion has delivered very well honestly. SE designed alot of the content to be unlocked each week as the colonization of Ulbulka improved. It's not a bad system and all servers are almost all maxed on their current coalitions, meaning new goodies and items are becoming more available. It also helps is that there are a wide variety of events you can do with each coalition.

People forget how underwhelming WotG was at launch. Yikes.

Azriell

Man I want to play this so bad. I haven't really played for like 2-3 years, but as soon as I (foolishly) clicked on the OP I started having withdraws. I didn't know there was new jobs. I just don't have the time to play anymore, which I fucking hate. My first though, and I'm dead serious, is to quit my job and play until I lose my house.

Man I want to play this so bad. I haven't really played for like 2-3 years, but as soon as I (foolishly) clicked on the OP I started having withdraws. I didn't know there was new jobs. I just don't have the time to play anymore, which I fucking hate. My first though, and I'm dead serious, is to quit my job and play until I lose my house.

While I would avoid going to such extremes, it's totally possible to play casually and make progress with missions and things. If your schedule is fixed and you're reliable, it's even easier.

Aeana

It's so much easier to play casually now. Everything happens much faster. Getting around the world is much faster, too.

The expansion has delivered very well honestly. SE designed alot of the content to be unlocked each week as the colonization of Ulbulka improved. It's not a bad system and all servers are almost all maxed on their current coalitions, meaning new goodies and items are becoming more available. It also helps is that there are a wide variety of events you can do with each coalition.

People forget how underwhelming WotG was at launch. Yikes.

Oh yeah, compared to WotG this is brimming with content.

Paskil

I played since 2003 and miss the awesome crazy early days of Abyssea. So many late, fun nights. Threads like this really make me want to resub, but the magic is gone. Also, I can't afford to get bogged down again in an MMO now that I have a career etc.

I seriously hope this is a blast for all the people still playing and glad to see SE supporting the game still (and dropping PS2 support, muahahahahahahaha).

creid

Got my first taste of FFXI crafting yesterday as I tried Smithing for 20 minutes or so. Somehow crafting is even slower than I expected, and my expectations were quite low. Couldn't even get Smithing to 1 in a reasonable amount of time. Any tips for speeding things up? My process was:
  1. Buy a stack of Fire Crystals from the AH
  2. Run over to the Smithing store (which of course was closed, and I needed to wait 6 in-game hours until it opened)
  3. Buy 3 Copper Ores, and a Tin Ore, one at a time (and not 6, because I don't have enough space for 6 Coppers and 2 Tins)
  4. Pick Fire Crystal, pick each ingredient one at a time (because a stack of ores would be too convenient)
  5. Wait. Maybe skill up by .1 or .2, maybe successfully craft, then wait several more seconds either way.
  6. Shop again, rinse, repeat.
  7. Run out of crystals, run back to the AH.
Any tips to make things less maddening? I know at some point the guild shop would close, and then I'd have to wait around to continue, which makes the notion of doing this for a long time even less attractive. I know there is food that can improve skillups, is it worth it at such a low level?

Loona

Got my first taste of FFXI crafting yesterday as I tried Smithing for 20 minutes or so. Somehow crafting is even slower than I expected, and my expectations were quite low. Couldn't even get Smithing to 1 in a reasonable amount of time. Any tips for speeding things up? My process was:
  1. Buy a stack of Fire Crystals from the AH
  2. Run over to the Smithing store (which of course was closed, and I needed to wait 6 in-game hours until it opened)
  3. Buy 3 Copper Ores, and a Tin Ore, one at a time (and not 6, because I don't have enough space for 6 Coppers and 2 Tins)
  4. Pick Fire Crystal, pick each ingredient one at a time (because a stack of ores would be too convenient)
  5. Wait. Maybe skill up by .1 or .2, maybe successfully craft, then wait several more seconds either way.
  6. Shop again, rinse, repeat.
  7. Run out of crystals, run back to the AH.
Any tips to make things less maddening? I know at some point the guild shop would close, and then I'd have to wait around to continue, which makes the notion of doing this for a long time even less attractive. I know there is food that can improve skillups, is it worth it at such a low level?

I rarely dabble in crafting, but maybe doing the quest to get this would help: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Trainee_Hammer

Ploid 3.0

Any endgameish videos of Fencer tanking on the net yet? I only found a vid of a Fencer soloing a avatar battle. For Geo I just saw a video of a Geo getting from around 30 to 99. I skipped around that video, he seemed happy with his aoe 1k orb detonations.

Toth

Hmm check online for a better crafting guide. Crafting takes up a lot of time but people love to do it as opposed to battle. My tip is to always get guild support as it really helps.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's so much easier to play casually now. Everything happens much faster. Getting around the world is much faster, too.

This makes me want to try this game out. Never played originally, but if I play an MMO, it's going to be casual probably.

Midou

How has the traveling around been improved? This was always one of my big reasons for quitting. Though I have not played since uh before Abyssea so I know a lot changed in general.

Ploid 3.0

I hated crafting. When I first played the game I started on smithing the first time, and wasted a lot of money trying to level it aimlessly. I ended up doing alchemy since it was easy to farm the materials usually.

If I remember correctly, you might not want to get support since it increases your level netting you less skill up on what you're crafting. You want to under skill, even if you will be less successful in crafting the item (broken crystals will usually spit out another material for crafting, and you can get skill on broken crystals). For example, hitting a monster that's above your Sword skill level will most likely give you a .5 skill up, though you will miss it a lot.

Try to farm your materials, if you stick to smithing find cheap ways to skill it. Don't spend too much money on the ah unless you are loaded. Crafting is a pain, but that's why not many people do it and why it's rewarding for the people that do. $$$

Ploid 3.0

How has the traveling around been improved? This was always one of my big reasons for quitting. Though I have not played since uh before Abyssea so I know a lot changed in general.

Books. There are floating books around the world. The books have missions in them that people use to get fast exp from, but the book has a lot more features. You can teleport to your home nation with the books, if you have a lot of out posts you can then port to another location, or from your home location you can change to whm sub or blm sub and port somewhere else. That's just what I know from a year or 2 ago.

Aeana

There's a lot of different teleports added to the game. You can teleport to Abyssea maws, you can teleport via Voidwatch NPCs, you can do campaign warps, and Adoulin added another teleport quest that lets you teleport to various out-of-the-way spots in a ton of different locations. There's also a cape you can get once you start the Abyssea quest that lets you teleport to the party leader once every 20 hours.

I hated crafting. When I first played the game I started on smithing the first time, and wasted a lot of money trying to level it aimlessly. I ended up doing alchemy since it was easy to farm the materials usually.

If I remember correctly, you might not want to get support since it increases your level netting you less skill up on what you're crafting. You want to under skill, even if you will be less successful in crafting the item (broken crystals will usually spit out another material for crafting, and you can get skill on broken crystals). For example, hitting a monster that's above your Sword skill level will most likely give you a .5 skill up, though you will miss it a lot.

Try to farm your materials, if you stick to smithing find cheap ways to skill it. Don't spend too much money on the ah unless you are loaded. Crafting is a pain, but that's why not many people do it and why it's rewarding for the people that do. $$$

You do not.

Support increases your level, but you still skill up at the same rate. This makes it safer and actually increases skill up frequency because you get fewer breaks (which you can't skill off of if you are too far from the item cap).

Daigr

I really miss this game. I sign back up every so often but between work, child and wife plus so many other games; I never accomplish much.

Is there a new ferry route to adoulin?
If there is I might have to pick it up and do some fishin!

Did they ever update chocobo digging? I swear I saw it on a recent roadmap.

I resubbed last year and joined whatever the Gaf LS was at the time. My time there was short lived as it turned out that a few of my old friends from my personal shell resubbed too. We got a lot of stuff done and I was in the process of working on my Kannagi until my friends unexpectedly quit. I stuck with it and got a handful of Briareus helms on my own but knowing that it wasn't going to be as easy after that I eventually lost interest. This OT is making me want to go at it again. Maybe I'll consider a relic instead. Are people still doing VwNM? I had a hard time finding a group to finish the Windy leg even last year.

Ploid 3.0

You do not.

Support increases your level, but you still skill up at the same rate. This makes it safer and actually increases skill up frequency because you get fewer breaks (which you can't skill off of if you are too far from the item cap).

Ah.

I resubbed last year and joined whatever the Gaf LS was at the time. My time there was short lived as it turned out that a few of my old friends from my personal shell resubbed too. We got a lot of stuff done and I was in the process of working on my Kannagi until my friends unexpectedly quit. I stuck with it and got a handful of Briareus helms on my own but knowing that it wasn't going to be as easy after that I eventually lost interest. This OT is making me want to go at it again. Maybe I'll consider a relic instead. Are people still doing VwNM? I had a hard time finding a group to finish the Windy leg even last year.

I also resubbed a while ago and saw some old friends, the good chunk of old friends was on another server and tried to get me to join them (they were getting tons of items, I was tempted). Now I just watch a guy do endgame stuff on twitch for my fix. Even with his seemingly fast paced shell there's a ton of waiting around.

http://www.twitch.tv/coder93

Voidwatch is still popular, though you would be best off posting on FFXIAH or something to look for a group doing clears. Shouts are not as common as they could be.

Loona

There's a lot of different teleports added to the game. You can teleport to Abyssea maws, you can teleport via Voidwatch NPCs, you can do campaign warps, and Adoulin added another teleport quest that lets you teleport to various out-of-the-way spots in a ton of different locations. There's also a cape you can get once you start the Abyssea quest that lets you teleport to the party leader once every 20 hours.

It's worth noting that for the Voidwatch warps it takes some advancement in its specific quests/fight progression to get all of them, but every so often tehre are shouts that can help with that.

For outpost warps you need to do the supply runs when you'r nation's in control of the corresponding area and you need to reach the place by your own means for that.

For campaign warps you need to have been in the area before, which won't be a problem if you've made the trek to all past cities, plus past versions of the dungeons near euno - it can take a while, but very handy for WotG content.

Speaking of expansion-specific content, there's also runic portal throughout aht Urghan, which must also be reached before you can tele there - once you reach them, you can always tele from them.

When Adoulin was about to become available, waypoints here also introduced, yet oddly their system wasn't unified yet - for the points throughout the Zilart-age zones you can transport from Ru'lude Gardens to places you're need to visit during the quest to activate them (Selbina, Mhaura, Norg and Rabao, which makes them a lot more convenient - these can be starting points once unlocked).
Following quests lets you teleport to outdoors areas that in some cases only ever have to be visited for a couple of different quests (bottom of the Gustaberg waterfall, for example) - might as well check and get those done if you can on the way to unlocking them while you're at it.
The later ones invovle getting access to the inside of beastmen strongholds like Davoi, Quicksand Caves or Castle Zvahl, which gets handy for a lot of things.

The odd thing was when Adoulin was released, a new waypoint was set up in Lower Jeuno, but can only be used to send you to Adoulin areas (and from there, only the city, I think), although it seems to share the same currency (kinetic units, adquired by trading crystals and clusters to the thing).
most annoying, you can't use waypoints from Ulbuka outdoors areas to tele to other outdoors areas - you can either tele to waypoints in the same area or to the city... really hope they address this later on...

This may depend on the Courrier coalition rank, but in that one you can buy key items that let you use waypoints to teleport to Zilart area cities/towns.
Now if only they'd make an extra one to send me to Whitegate I could change my homepoint to Adoulin, since from there you'd be able to reach every other place.

And of course, there are also the crystal spots that allow you to be teleported by white mage spells - there are also 3 of them in the past to add to the 5 in the present areas, which, as usual, must be visited in advanced.

I almost forgot that once you alliance with a past nation for the WotG missions, there's a black mage spell, Retrace, that can take you there.

As it stands, I keep my home point in Whitegate since it's only only place you always have to pay to reach otherwise, and from there there's a free tele to Jeuno or the home city.

isual

man. I've been thinking of just levelling up warrior to 70 and using him to fight maat. Currently 21 war; shouldn't be to hard to level up now since I know where to grind books.

It's the skills that are troublesome.

Might do Maat on Ninja, I'm nearly at the max level I can be right now (Level 69 Monk) and I figure if I can get some better equipment, I'll farm for the Ninja testimony and then level up Ninja a couple more levels and try that out.

Aeana

Define casually. As any job? At any level? I would love to come back and play more, but I felt so limited unless I was playing a specific job.

Anybody can level any job (in any gear) to 99. Nobody cares what you are anymore, because people just get together in an alliance and beat stuff up. It's very fast. I did 60-99 WHM in a week or so (can be done faster if you don't have to worry about limit breaks), and 1-49 DNC and 1-49 SCH in about a week combined as well.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh, I was just going to ask if it was made easier as well. I remember hearing about how hellish it was early one. Might be a good way to pass the summer then...

Seigyoku

Might do Maat on Ninja, I'm nearly at the max level I can be right now (Level 69 Monk) and I figure if I can get some better equipment, I'll farm for the Ninja testimony and then level up Ninja a couple more levels and try that out.

FYI, I know someone who came back on a new character - they were (are) a damn good Ninja... And NIN Maat fight kicked their asses five times. They leveled SAM to 70 and did that fight instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom