• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2013 Seekers of Adoulin |OT| Go West, Young Adventurer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

Didn't plan on buying Adoulin for a while since I've already got so much to do, but at $10 I couldn't pass it up. Is there much content for a poorly-geared WAR 51 to do, or should I leave it for later? Any quests I should flag right away (like the Abyssea stones?)
Adoulin content is all designed for (decently geared) 99 players, however there are non-combat quests you can do in the city that grant EXP, so you might as well do them and get some levels out of it.

Man, $10 for all that.... Considering picking it up. I never really got into FFXI a few years ago when I bought some collection. It was just a bit too annoying to get into by yourself. I'm sure if I had at-least one person to hang out with in game it would've been different.

I've been playing the Realm Reborn beta and I'm loving it. Wonder if I should just get this to hold me over till that actually launches....I need my mmo fix.

creid

Adoulin content is all designed for (decently geared) 99 players, however there are non-combat quests you can do in the city that grant EXP, so you might as well do them and get some levels out of it.
Figured as much. Guess I'll just do some sightseeing for now.

Loona

Didn't plan on buying Adoulin for a while since I've already got so much to do, but at $10 I couldn't pass it up. Is there much content for a poorly-geared WAR 51 to do, or should I leave it for later? Any quests I should flag right away (like the Abyssea stones?)

You might want to look into the Voidwatch stuff too, although I think that requires level 74 to flag - it starts you off with some nice teleporting options, and you get more once you progress in its quests.

Also talk to Anastase in Ru'Lude Gardens for a series of quests that should make travelling a lot easier over time.

A bit more specific, but talking to a goblin NPC at the Altepa teleport crystal flags a quest that lets you travel solo through Quicksand Caves (by default only Galka get to do it). and there's also a key item in one of the little rooms near the Garlaige entrance that lets you open its gates without help.
I wish they'd do something similar at Eldieme Necropolis...

Midou

*sigh*

Every time I level up, when the animation pops up, my Nvidia driver crashes and kicks me out of full screen. I made regular resolution 1920x1080 and background double that 3840x2160, might there be a problem with this?

Card is a GTX 670.

Aeana

*sigh*

Every time I level up, when the animation pops up, my Nvidia driver crashes and kicks me out of full screen. I made regular resolution 1920x1080 and background double that 3840x2160, might there be a problem with this?
I recommend just downloading Windower 4 if you haven't, and then using its supersampling option.

*sigh*

Card is a GTX 670.

Take out your supersampling settings and try it normally, if it still has an issue then that's not it.

Have you updated your drivers recently? What do the crash message details say? See if there is a difference running as administrator too.

I'm really tempted to try this again after hearing it's faster, but god damn I wish this would run natively on OS X. Having to switch to Windows will probably keep me from actually playing it.

Midou

Well the Windower certainly helps, but it still crashes. Googling the issue I found some people with 600 series had problems with the game crashing in general and turning off shadows and weather resolved it, though mine crashes specifically at those times when I level up. Will try that though, maybe with just shadows first, I really like the weather effects...

Well the Windower certainly helps, but it still crashes. Googling the issue I found some people with 600 series had problems with the game crashing in general and turning off shadows and weather resolved it, though mine crashes specifically at those times when I level up. Will try that though, maybe with just shadows first, I really like the weather effects...

Oh,

Try going into the settings and turn on graphic stabilization. See if that helps.

creid

Also talk to Anastase in Ru'Lude Gardens for a series of quests that should make travelling a lot easier over time.
I've only started Researchers from the West. Didn't realize the subsequent quest would be so helpful, thanks.

A bit more specific, but talking to a goblin NPC at the Altepa teleport crystal flags a quest that lets you travel solo through Quicksand Caves (by default only Galka get to do it). and there's also a key item in one of the little rooms near the Garlaige entrance that lets you open its gates without help.
I wish they'd do something similar at Eldieme Necropolis...
Yeah, I couldn't have gotten to level 51 without the Garlaige key item. How exactly do the switches in Eldieme work? Most of the gates were open when I went there for LB1, and there only seemed to be one other player there.

Midou

Seems graphic stabilization fixed it, will know 100% if I can level up again and not have it crash, but so far so good. Thanks.

B.K.

How does that Gamer's Gate sale work? Do you have to download the game again or do they send the code for the Adoulin content?

Loona

I've only started Researchers from the West. Didn't realize the subsequent quest would be so helpful, thanks.

Gotta love those beastman dungeon warps ("I'm in ur dungeon killing ur dudes for keys"), even if it means crossing Uleguerand and climbing Parradamo Tor again.
On the other hand, a great thing about that is that for those outdoor places, if you know somone who already has those spots unlocked, and you have a Nexus cape, it gets a lot easier - someone in Leviathan put on a mini-event aroudn St. Patriks days and helped a bunch of people get tricky stops like that, fun stuff.

Yeah, I couldn't have gotten to level 51 without the Garlaige key item. How exactly do the switches in Eldieme work? Most of the gates were open when I went there for LB1, and there only seemed to be one other player there.

For those Eldieme switches sometimes you really need a 2nd person to activate switches in some small rooms adjacent to big "crossroad" rooms, which in turn switch the doors in much smaller rooms elsewhere from north/south to east/west paths and vice-versa - unlick Quicksands and the Citadel, the switches aren't near and have nothing to do with weight, so the issue can't be solved by giving you some supposedly really heavy key item - "lore"-wise it would mean rewiring the Necropolis' mechanism to activate the doors in the smaller crossroads rooms, and those already have a couple of selectable stops for unrelated quests in them.

Has anyone come up with an "optimal" way to get bayld in the new areas?

I tried and succeeded to solo those twitherym mobs for a quest, and the Inventor's coalition has an assingment consisting on turning 5 of their wings in, I might try that while keeping other things flagged just in case.

I wonder how harder the chapuli mobs are to solo compared to the twitheryms, since they have a similar related assignment... I'm running MNK/DNC

And then there's the Yahse quest that involves taking down mandragoras there...

Knowing how each of those stacks up compared to each other would be nice to help me progress between them, and who knows, try to cap guard in the process - that would let me get rid of some skill up gear for that I go ages ago...

Seigyoku

How does that Gamer's Gate sale work? Do you have to download the game again or do they send the code for the Adoulin content?

You have to download and install Adoulin. Just entering the code won't work. Though you have to do that too. And then have updates from hell run.

Aeana

Adoulin itself is only like 213mb.
But you'll probably have to download the whole thing. IIRC my Seeker's Edition from Amazon was like a 5.9GB download.

B.K.

That's not too bad. I was expecting three or four gigs.

But you'll probably have to download the whole thing. IIRC my Seeker's Edition from Amazon was like a 5.9GB download.

I hope not. That would take quite a while to download. That's part of the reason that I still haven't bought the expansion. I wish Square Enix would have done a physical release of the new PC collection. Even if it was a limited release.

Amneisac

So my game is crashing every time I level up. As in, as soon as the gold letter come up - game crashes to desktop. I tried searching for it, but no luck. Any ideas? I am running Windower 4. Just read Midou has the same problem. This is a bummer!

I'll try graphics stabilization as well.

Seigyoku

So my game is crashing every time I level up. As in, as soon as the gold letter come up - game crashes to desktop. I tried searching for it, but no luck. Any ideas? I am running Windower 4.

First thing that pops into my mind is that the dat for the level up graphic is busted, but who knows.

Buggy Loop

I swear this game keeps poping up again and again EVERY spring, when im itching to play something.

So many good memories from this game, best FF.

I was stuck on my RDM and the Maat fight though, i think i did it 3 times and i either fucked up the macros or something but i couldnt spam shit with chainspell on him.. Did they remove this stupid fight? lol

Gotta love those beastman dungeon warps ("I'm in ur dungeon killing ur dudes for keys"), even if it means crossing Uleguerand and climbing Parradamo Tor again.
On the other hand, a great thing about that is that for those outdoor places, if you know somone who already has those spots unlocked, and you have a Nexus cape, it gets a lot easier - someone in Leviathan put on a mini-event aroudn St. Patriks days and helped a bunch of people get tricky stops like that, fun stuff.

For those Eldieme switches sometimes you really need a 2nd person to activate switches in some small rooms adjacent to big "crossroad" rooms, which in turn switch the doors in much smaller rooms elsewhere from north/south to east/west paths and vice-versa - unlick Quicksands and the Citadel, the switches aren't near and have nothing to do with weight, so the issue can't be solved by giving you some supposedly really heavy key item - "lore"-wise it would mean rewiring the Necropolis' mechanism to activate the doors in the smaller crossroads rooms, and those already have a couple of selectable stops for unrelated quests in them.

Has anyone come up with an "optimal" way to get bayld in the new areas?

I tried and succeeded to solo those twitherym mobs for a quest, and the Inventor's coalition has an assingment consisting on turning 5 of their wings in, I might try that while keeping other things flagged just in case.

I wonder how harder the chapuli mobs are to solo compared to the twitheryms, since they have a similar related assignment... I'm running MNK/DNC

And then there's the Yahse quest that involves taking down mandragoras there...

Knowing how each of those stacks up compared to each other would be nice to help me progress between them, and who knows, try to cap guard in the process - that would let me get rid of some skill up gear for that I go ages ago...

Darn, that sounds like a cool idea. I had a hella time trying to climb that darn mountain in Attowa Chasm and gave up when I ran into a NM.

I have a doubt. I go to the web with the sale, but the "buy button" just doesn't appear. Coul it be because I'm in Europe, and that is the US version? I can see and buy the EU version in the same online shop.... but my original FFXI account is an US one (because I imported it before it was released in Europe), so the only way to get all the expansions and use them with my old character would have to be with an US key... but it seems I can't buy it... /cry

EDIT: just used an US proxy... ¡y premio! :'D

Seigyoku

I was stuck on my RDM and the Maat fight though, i think i did it 3 times and i either fucked up the macros or something but i couldnt spam shit with chainspell on him.. Did they remove this stupid fight? lol

Maat fight is still there :p

They made every LB soloable, they certainly didn't remove the one that you were REQUIRED to solo.

ANYWAY in terms of Maat and level 70 LB fights, based on me and others I know:

WAR - not half bad to do if you gear and WS fast. He just crumbles.
MNK - no clue, but MNK is Maat's default job so...
WHM - considered one of the easiest fights since it has a special win condition, so you basically have to not die.
BLM - honestly have no clue, it probably comes to down to Sleep Nuking
RDM - Still Very Hard. Especially if you aren't sleep nuking.
THF - Has a special win condition (STEAL) - but that is super luck based, especially since you can't even wear all the steal gear at that point. That said, meleeing him is doable if you have capped skills and the right strategy.
PLD - no clue!
DRK - I know some people who pulled it off after several tries.
BST - This is a job I know almost nothing about, and most of it's cool new toys are post 75.
BRD - apparently not that hard, but not that easy. Landing Finale is apparently a key.
RNG - no clue!
SAM - apparently like WAR, WS him before he does pretty much anything. Know several people who pulled this off on first try.
NIN - as I said in earlier post, a really skilled NIN I know tried this one seven or so times, gave up, leveled SAM.
DRG - I do know someone who did this one YEARS ago, but that's about it.
SMN - this is apparently one which newer game mechanics work in your favor since Maat doesn't have access to them. I think it's something like having Fenrir and Diablos and winning becomes a snap.

Rest of the jobs have their own fights with Not-Maats but:
BLU - no clue!
COR - you know, I don't even know who you fight...
PUP - friend of mine did it on her fifth try or so. Capped skills and gear needed.
DNC - you have dual wield. She does NOT have dual wield. This is apparently nearly game breaking.
SCH - was CRUSHINGLY HARD. Knew several people who tried it over and over and game up and leveled WHM. Probably not nearly so terrible now with Embrava (yes even nerfed) and Kaustra.

RUN and GEO do not have LB fights yet.

So generally speaking, WAR, SAM, WHM, SMN seem to be the go-to fights when you hit a wall on another job.

If you are on Sylph and need help see if I'm around. I'm a testimony magnet, and can loan an Opo-opo necklace. (Fair warning, I won't be around this weekend.)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone know if a free trial stacks on top of the free 30 days for a new account? So I grab a 30 day free trial and then activate the game the same day, would that net me 60 days gametime?

Anyone know if a free trial stacks on top of the free 30 days for a new account? So I grab a 30 day free trial and then activate the game the same day, would that net me 60 days gametime?

The free trial is pretty worthless since you can't really interact with anyone. What happened to your other character?

Tomat

Lost the old email + login info, never subbed with it either. Figured I would just start over since one of my friends might start playing.

I was wondering if I started a free trial and activated the account on the same day, if I the free trial time would still be there, but with the features of a full account since I activated it.

Lost the old email + login info, never subbed with it either. Figured I would just start over since one of my friends might start playing.

I was wondering if I started a free trial and activated the account on the same day, if I the free trial time would still be there, but with the features of a full account since I activated it.

I don't think so.

Loona

MNK - no clue, but MNK is Maat's default job so...

My first (and so far only) Maat - had to repeat this a few times and try and optimize everything: gear, food, the use of job abilities (know that Chi Blast is affected by how many times you use Boost in advance, do not use boost during Hundred Fists before WSing since you're wasting time that can be spent punching him) and some luck

WHM - considered one of the easiest fights since it has a special win condition, so you basically have to not die.

My WHM is 96, but missing a bunch of spells with uncapped skills, I wonder about my chances should the testimony happen to drop one of these days if I go in mostly unprepared... since Maat's cap is actually viable nowadays...

BLU - no clue!

Raubhan is a beast even at the late 90s, let alone at 70 - you're better off going for another job if you need to break cap, he does not mess around.

COR - you know, I don't even know who you fight...

Qultada, I think - but I don't know much about COR. Maybe more recent skills/rolls help if you're doing it for kicks post 75...

Midou

Is handling equipment any different now with parties not being as strict (from the sound of things) and leveling being faster early on? I'm like level 9 so far and mostly just using the default gear and the chocobo shirt and beret for their boosts to 30.

Aeana

My WHM is 96, but missing a bunch of spells with uncapped skills, I wonder about my chances should the testimony happen to drop one of these days if I go in mostly unprepared... since Maat's cap is actually viable nowadays...

I did the WHM Maat fight with dramatically underleveled skills across the board. I'm talking skills of a level 50 WHM, if that. And it was super easy. I used one X Potion and one hi-ether IIRC.

Seigyoku

Is handling equipment any different now with parties not being as strict (from the sound of things) and leveling being faster early on? I'm like level 9 so far and mostly just using the default gear and the chocobo shirt and beret for their boosts to 30.

I basically level to 30 in beret and swimsuit. Now I'll use the choco shirt... and swimsuit.

Do try and get some level appropriate weapons. And quest your RSE when you can, I ride that stuff till AF.

Pretty much nobody cares until you're doing events. That's not to say you shouldn't care or try, but you don't have to worry about constantly upgrading until later.

Work on your RSE gear as soon as you can, and you should be able to go from

Chocogear -> RSE -> Artifact - > Maat gear (as in whatever you feel you need to beat maat) -> Level 78 Abyssea gear -> Empyrean +2 and Relic +2 (this will require some work in dynamis) and Adoulin Peacekeepers gear (you should be able to buy some of this just by doing quests in town) -> Fill in the holes in your set on the AH.

Once you've gotten your Empyrean +2 gear and maybe a few important relic pieces, it's time to start looking at events and the high end AH gear for upgrades. Try to minimize your spending before then unless it's something that will be useful to you later.

Seigyoku

Once you've gotten your Empyrean +2 gear and maybe a few important relic pieces, it's time to start looking at events and the high end AH gear for upgrades. Try to minimize your spending before then unless it's something that will be useful to you later.

And there are still mission rewards that are useful. Rajas Ring from completing CoP is still a must for many jobs. Divine Might earrings are still used, as are Apocalypse Nigh ones. BSTs swear by several mini-expansion reward pieces. And several jobs can get a lot of use out of Moonshade earring (WotG) with the correct augments.

ToAU rings need help though :p

Leaping

Neo Member
Raubhan is a beast even at the late 90s, let alone at 70 - you're better off going for another job if you need to break cap, he does not mess around.

I'm actually pretty sure that a late 90's blu can one shot him easily with a properly set up azure lore ever since they changed it. I can't say how well it would work at 70 though.

Amneisac

What time should I be around to get a pearl? I'll be on for the next hour and later tonight whenever.

Name is: Motherboy

I'll be around Bastok, thanks!

Kientin

I remember the pld Maat fight wasn't that hard. I lost the first time because I panicked and didn't use my skills right and it was easy the second time. Can't remember everything I used because I did that years ago but my gear was decent and my sword and shield skills were about capped. It should be much easier now as shield block overall reduce much more damage as they did then, sentinel is like a mini invincible, you got spells like reprisal for more shield blocks and some spike damage, and DD gear is much cheaper now. Definitely wouldn't be a bad job to take against Maat in my eyes.

I remember the pld Maat fight wasn't that hard. I lost the first time because I panicked and didn't use my skills right and it was easy the second time. Can't remember everything I used because I did that years ago but my gear was decent and my sword and shield skills were about capped. It should be much easier now as shield block overall reduce much more damage as they did then, sentinel is like a mini invincible, you got spells like reprisal for more shield blocks and some spike damage, and DD gear is much cheaper now. Definitely wouldn't be a bad job to take against Maat in my eyes.

Oh!

Campaign gear is excellent for it's level.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I did the WHM Maat fight with dramatically underleveled skills across the board. I'm talking skills of a level 50 WHM, if that. And it was super easy. I used one X Potion and one hi-ether IIRC.

Good memories. Just get your timing right. I haven't played since ToAU but I am tempted to bring back my little taru.

Loona

I'm actually pretty sure that a late 90's blu can one shot him easily with a properly set up azure lore ever since they changed it. I can't say how well it would work at 70 though.

Maybe he's easier if you ger your BLU properly, mine gets mostly by with MNK gear leftovers, Suppanonimi and swords from Altepa chests.

Necrovex

I'm really tempted to try this again after hearing it's faster, but god damn I wish this would run natively on OS X. Having to switch to Windows will probably keep me from actually playing it.

Pretty much my feeling on TOR. Would play it if I could play it on my Mac.

Tried XI like 5 years back, couldn't get into it. Maybe it's time to give it another go.

Tomat

Friend and I bought it so I we'll be on eventually. Apparently you can activate the free 30 days from buying the game just by saying you'll pay in Crysta even if you have no Crysta on your account. I haven't tried logging in yet because the game is still downloading, but they let me add the character slot option or whatever it was.

Miyahon

Nice. I had the PS2 version when it came out and bought the second expansion too. Too bad I lost my old email account I used so I could get my old account back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom