• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

Second Titillating Trust Tournament

The Jeuno Institute of Magical Studies is happy to announce another Titillating Trust Tournament! Moogles from every corner of Vana'diel scramble to seize this year's trophy. Speak to one of the moogles in the areas below to learn more, although something does seem a little off this year.

- Moogle Locations
Southern San d'Oria (I-8) / Bastok Markets (F-8) / Windurst Waters (North side; F-9)

Event Period

From Saturday, May 16, 2015, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Tuesday, June 2 at the same hour.

-------------------------------------

There is a TON of cosmetic gear and 3 Trusts, all for free:

Moogle (YESSSSSS)
Aldo (YES)
Fablinix (THF/BLM hybrid, has Treasure Hunter I)

And for the Adventurer Appreciation Campaign, two UNLIMITED USE (2-hour cooldown) rings for 150% XP and...wait for it...150% CP gain.

This Behemoth event is the silliest thing I've ever seen. 'memorize the skillchain properties of six different weapons and blu magic, then call out the next step in a level 1-2-3 skillchain in 60 seconds without failing once' then 'coordinate with completely random people across a language barrier to perform specific weaponskills 9 times in 60 seconds, 3 or 4 times in a row.'

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Any reason to do the Behemoth event? The 3 trusts are in the chest next to one of the moggles.

Seems very frustrated based on LS chat, hehe.

Any reason to do the Behemoth event? The 3 trusts are in the chest next to one of the moggles.

Seems very frustrated based on LS chat, hehe.

Kupofried trust has cp and xp bonus aura. Very worth it. The key is to let the folks who know how to SC do their job and not interrupt them.

This Behemoth event is the silliest thing I've ever seen. 'memorize the skillchain properties of six different weapons and blu magic, then call out the next step in a level 1-2-3 skillchain in 60 seconds without failing once' then 'coordinate with completely random people across a language barrier to perform specific weaponskills 9 times in 60 seconds, 3 or 4 times in a row.'

Welcome to FFXI, enjoy your stay :D

I have been to Sandoria and Jeuno and still can't find an IHOP Linkpearl.

Any chance of someone restocking them or meeting me to give me one on Sylph?

ZetaEpyon

Malick[AI];164208073 said:
I have been to Sandoria and Jeuno and still can't find an IHOP Linkpearl.

Any chance of someone restocking them or meeting me to give me one on Sylph?

What's your character name?

B.K.

Kupofried trust has cp and xp bonus aura. Very worth it. The key is to let the folks who know how to SC do their job and not interrupt them.

That trust sounds nice. I don't usually do these kinds of events, but I may have to do it sometime with some IHOP people.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just ran through the available Rhapsody missions and then decided to finally start doing SoA.....only to immediately run into a roadblock mission.
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Life_on_the_Frontier
Minimum of 20 days huh. I think they lowered the requirements and give out imprimiturs faster but that's still ridiculous for a main scenario mission. Was hoping to bite into the story tonight.

So after playing for 39 hours (half of that was reading wikis) I realize this game is just not for me. I don't care how easy they are now, limit break quests as an actual idea or design choice/decision(?) is supremely stupid

"Hey man you got to level 50 and you want to get to level 51? Well screw you! Spend an hour on this quest, and guess what? You'll be doing these every five levels to 99!"

There are just so many freaking problems with this game but in the end I had fun somewhat. I liked collecting Trusts and the classes.

Guess I'll try out the FFXIV trial and see if I like that instead

Now I know why WoW was/is so popular

Aeana

5558117022c3921ff046a21b.jpg

Finally got this. This event was awful. SE doesn't seem to understand the playerbase at all.

So after playing for 39 hours (half of that was reading wikis) I realize this game is just not for me. I don't care how easy they are now, limit break quests as an actual idea or design choice/decision(?) is supremely stupid

"Hey man you got to level 50 and you want to get to level 51? Well screw you! Spend an hour on this quest, and guess what? You'll be doing these every five levels to 99!"

I feel you, if I weren't driven by nostalgia and an urge to re-live the old questlines I would find little motivation to do things like the limit break quests or re-buy all the old spells that still cost WAY too much for first-time players.

B.K.

This event is horrible. If Kupofreid didn't sound so useful, there's no way I'd still be doing this four hours later.

I feel you, if I weren't driven by nostalgia and an urge to re-live the old questlines I would find little motivation to do things like the limit break quests or re-buy all the old spells that still cost WAY too much for first-time players.

You need to list out what spells you're talking about because most the low level stuff can either be farmed or bought on AH for cheap. Folks can toss them your way when we come across them.

There are just so many freaking problems with this game but in the end I had fun somewhat. I liked collecting Trusts and the classes.

There were maybe two limit break quests that required any kind of prep/time outside of simply following wiki instructions, and I'm pretty sure they've been trivialized by Trusts and the first Rhapsodies KI.

Granted, it's not the most new player friendly system around as far as leveling goes, but if you can't view 99 like you view the level caps in WoW. XI is meant to be sipped, not chugged. If your view of the game is "get to 99, do objectives to get better and better gear", you probably won't have a great time with XI. That's not to say that that isn't a part of the game, but it's a much smaller part of the game than it is in WoW, XIV, etc. The LB are a story, not the best story XI has to offer perhaps, but a part of the experience of the game nonetheless.

If anything, with the Rhapsodies KIs leveling has undergone yet another change that encourages sticking with T / EM mobs to get the highest EXP/hr. The big irritation with LB that I could see in the old system was maxing out a FoV / GoV page only to hit a cap soon after. Now, you just LB, find a new area to kill T / EM, repeat.

Gravijah

It's definitely not for everyone. My significant other and I have been playing for a few months now, and it's a slow, relatively time consuming game. It takes a lot of time to really do things, but it's a big part of the enjoyment for us. Yesterday, I finally got my Paladin AF chest, which took many hours of journeying, but I found very satisfying once it was over. The limit breaks get easier with time too, though I haven't reached past 65 yet.

Once you start getting sparks, you can sell the high level gear and make tons of gil. It's a pain at first but in very casual play I have about 1 million gold at level 61~ now and that's enough to buy most of what you need, spellwise.

Aeana

It's definitely not for everyone. My significant other and I have been playing for a few months now, and it's a slow, relatively time consuming game. It takes a lot of time to really do things, but it's a big part of the enjoyment for us. Yesterday, I finally got my Paladin AF chest, which took many hours of journeying, but I found very satisfying once it was over. The limit breaks get easier with time too, though I haven't reached past 65 yet.
:O
Gravijahhhh long time no see

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
FINALLY got the Kuopfried Cipher. What a horrible event.

Some general tips for those who have not done it yet.

Part 1:
Just spam the first weapon skill option and get 100 total points. Should take about 30 mins, an hour if you are unlucky. If you do actually get 20 points by not guessing post here so we know those people exist.

Part 2:
First you have to put in your outfit, and talk to the moogle a bit away from the Behemoth to get the Magic cast on you. Next go auto attack the Behemoth. If you don't know skill chains, don't spam weapon skills unless the objective is to use X number of weapon skills (It says in the chat log). Then spam them during that objective. I believe that multi-hit weapon skills are best, but that's not confirmed. The less people the easier this part seems to be to complete. Just please don't be that person who spams weapon skills the whole battle unless you have a good understanding of Skill Chains.

Once an objective is complete, the Behemoth drops his guard, then you can also spam Weapon skills then. You will see Damage number during this time. After a bit of monster wailing and damage making, you will lose your Kupo Magic and will need to go back and get it cast again (Why do you do this to us SquareEnix?).

You get the kupofried Trust for getting 10 complete objectives and I'm Fairly sure that you get the Mog House Clock for killing Behemoth. The Clock and Trust both increase EXP and CP so make sure you place the clock in your house at the very least.

Lastly, for this event make sure you talk to the Moogle to get your rings (The one not in the Behemoth area), both of which are probably the best EXP ring so far, and comes with unlimited charges and get the 3 trusts from the chest next to the moogle in a home city by the Behemoth event.

Once an objective is complete, the Behemoth drops his guard, then you can also spam Weapon skills then. You will see Damage number during this time. After a bit of monster wailing and damage making, you will lose your Kupo Magic and will need to go back and get it cast again (Why do you do this to us SquareEnix?).
When it says something like the behemoth something his power, run away so that you are >25yalms from him. He uses thunderbolt, thats what strips your moogle magic

Ken

Second Titillating Trust Tournament

The Jeuno Institute of Magical Studies is happy to announce another Titillating Trust Tournament! Moogles from every corner of Vana'diel scramble to seize this year's trophy. Speak to one of the moogles in the areas below to learn more, although something does seem a little off this year.

- Moogle Locations
Southern San d'Oria (I-8) / Bastok Markets (F-8) / Windurst Waters (North side; F-9)

Event Period

From Saturday, May 16, 2015, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Tuesday, June 2 at the same hour.

-------------------------------------

There is a TON of cosmetic gear and 3 Trusts, all for free:

Moogle (YESSSSSS)
Aldo (YES)
Fablinix (THF/BLM hybrid, has Treasure Hunter I)

And for the Adventurer Appreciation Campaign, two UNLIMITED USE (2-hour cooldown) rings for 150% XP and...wait for it...150% CP gain.

Is this for high level people?

Some general tips for those who have not done it yet.

Part 1:
Just spam the first weapon skill option and get 100 total points. Should take about 30 mins, an hour if you are unlucky. If you do actually get 20 points by not guessing post here so we know those people exist.

Part 2:
First you have to put in your outfit, and talk to the moogle a bit away from the Behemoth to get the Magic cast on you. Next go auto attack the Behemoth. If you don't know skill chains, don't spam weapon skills unless the objective is to use X number of weapon skills (It says in the chat log). Then spam them during that objective. I believe that multi-hit weapon skills are best, but that's not confirmed. The less people the easier this part seems to be to complete. Just please don't be that person who spams weapon skills the whole battle unless you have a good understanding of Skill Chains.

You get the kupofried Trust for getting 10 complete objectives and I'm Fairly sure that you get the Mog House Clock for killing Behemoth. The Clock and Trust both increase EXP and CP so make sure you place the clock in your house at the very least.

Lastly, for this event make sure you talk to the Moogle to get your rings (The one not in the Behemoth area), both of which are probably the best EXP ring so far, and comes with unlimited charges and get the 3 trusts from the chest next to the moogle in a home city by the Behemoth event.

I have broken 20, but it wasn't till I went back to the event after clearing it through failure.

I figured out how to make 3 step light and darkness with the weapons I had available, and then I would use Fight to skip weapons I didn't like and got in about 2 of those chains. Netting a perfect (no errors) doubles your points.

Is this for high level people?

No it's for everyone. The rings are just given to you by a moogle, the trust you need to work for but it's worth it. Plus you get to learn about skillchains, which are an important part of high level play.

SilverArrow20XX

Just picked up Fablinix. Got Aldo and Moogle from Red Mog Pells when they came out since I missed the last campaign. I'm tempted to just not bother with Kupofried an wait for the next Red Mog Pell.

so I've been trying to finally catch up on SoA missions. Got to chapter 4-5-2 fight solo but was having trouble on DRK just dropping dead. I switched to SAM and...
XdqpFmo.png

SAM is so broken

Suikoguy

When it says something like the behemoth something his power, run away so that you are >25yalms from him. He uses thunderbolt, thats what strips your moogle magic

Oh, NOW I find out. Bwhahaha

Anyway, one more newbie question;

I asked in the chat and Mistwinter was of the opinion that crafting was not really worth it.
I have all of these crystals and mats, and I sorta feel like I need to use them towards something.

What are the advantages to leveling some of the crafting skills if the majority of it is replaced by Relics/Artifacts and the like? I'm tempted to level some of the non weapon and armor crafting skills if it would be useful. Not really looking to make any money with it.

B.K.

so I've been trying to finally catch up on SoA missions. Got to chapter 4-5-2 fight solo but was having trouble on DRK just dropping dead. I switched to SAM and...
XdqpFmo.png

SAM is so broken

That's nothing. You should have been around a couple months ago before the Rudra's nerf. A good THF or DNC could do 50k with Rudra's.

That's nothing. You should have been around a couple months ago before the Rudra's nerf. A good THF or DNC could do 50k with Rudra's.
ive never left. I was doing that on DNC back to back. It was fun. This was a story fight though with only trust buffs. I thought it was pretty funny

SilverArrow20XX

Finally managed to defeat Behemoth with a big party. I've never experienced lag like this lol. Sometimes I couldn't open my macro menus for an entire minute. Ended up with level 9 Heroism in the end and didn't get the cipher. As far as I can tell, 9 is the max from 1 fight, and you need 10 right? I'm assuming it keeps building from fight to fight. My second fight is another 100% objective failure fest.

Aeana

If anybody ever needs any help with Gearswap, I'm happy to help. Lua's super easy to work with, and Gearswap's API is very straightforward once you see it piece-by-piece. Looking at monolithic files is too much to take in for a beginner.

Ken

So now that I'm 30 THF looking to be a SAM, I guess I should get THF to 50 and then that'll let me just take SAM to cap with THF as sub?

At 30 should I go to the "Crawlers Nest" for leveling?

Loona

So now that I'm 30 THF looking to be a SAM, I guess I should get THF to 50 and then that'll let me just take SAM to cap with THF as sub?

At 30 should I go to the "Crawlers Nest" for leveling?

THF at 45 gets you a 2nd level of Treasure Hunter, which is always handy - considering how easier leveling is nowadays, might as well finish THF as a sub at 49.

Suikoguy

EXP is so amusing now.

I unlocked bard to try it out. And leveled so quickly, that the EXP bar would max out on the next level since you can only gain one level at a time. 6 Kills in newbie ground, Level 7.

In a way it's more amusing since you still have the limit break hurdles, some of which are really difficult to solo.

I have had a whirlwind week learning this game again.

Totally forgot about the Limit Break walls, thankfully it looks like Trusts should make them a breeze.

Got THF to 30, RDM to 47, unlocked DNC, finished story up to 5-1 and am one backwards ass ride through the jungle from unlocking NIN.

That would have been like 4 months back in 2003.

I think I am going to get DNC to 50, then THF to 50, and then go DNC or THF to 99 first.

From what I have been reading DNC is the new NIN in that it is awesome for any class as a subjob and really good as a primary as well.

EXP is so amusing now.

I unlocked bard to try it out. And leveled so quickly, that the EXP bar would max out on the next level since you can only gain one level at a time. 6 Kills in newbie ground, Level 7.

In a way it's more amusing since you still have the limit break hurdles, some of which are really difficult to solo.

Tell me about it, I thought I'd spend 10 mins and start levelling up another job before calling it a night last night, 10 mins and I'm Lvl16 SAM, dafuq!! Back in the day that shit would take me about a week to reach.

Another thing, does the EXP gains from the Rhapsody KI stack with EXP rings? I was getting insane amount of EXP!

Suikoguy

Tell me about it, I thought I'd spend 10 mins and start levelling up another job before calling it a night last night, 10 mins and I'm Lvl16 SAM, dafuq!! Back in the day that shit would take me about a week to reach.

Another thing, does the EXP gains from the Rhapsody KI stack with EXP rings? I was getting insane amount of EXP!

Well right now the server (apparently) doubles base EXP, but then you have the 150% ring, optional exp trust, and clock from the new event that also increases exp.

My guess the exp equation is basically, where X is base exp.

(X*2)(1+1.50+.3+.3+ .3? +.3?)=Total Exp

1.5 being from XP Ring
.3 being from Rhapsodies Key Item 1
.3 being from Rhapsodies Key Item 2
.3? being from Kupofried Trust
.3? being from the Vana'clock in your Mog house.

Malick[AI];164349456 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a KI? And how do I get them?

Short for Key Item, basically flags set on your character that don't take up valuable inventory space. It's where moghancements, various quest items, etc end up.

Short for Key Item, basically flags set on your character that don't take up valuable inventory space. It's where moghancements, various quest items, etc end up.

Thanks!

According to the wiki I am already doing that quest line.

How far after the bee pollen quest do you get the EXP KIs?

Seigyoku

tl;dr: Playing them in release order would be safest. For a convoluted web of dependencies:
The Addons are whatever, and don't tie into anything.

FWIW, the first one the addons relates to the opening movie and CoP and does spoil the ending of CoP towards the ending.

The other two don't take place at specific times but are pretty damn funny.

Top Bottom