• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

ebil

As a returning player I also found the guides lacking for higher lv XP, so I'll just share what I've been doing in case it can help someone. Not pretending it's optimal or anything, but I found these pretty good.

94-99: Worms and Tortoises in Gustav Tunnel. Really good XP, was done in 1 hour or something with breaks in between? There were a few parties grinding there so I imagine it's popular.
8x-94 I remember experimenting a bit and doing Blind Bats in Bostaunieux oubliettes. There's a large number of them so it's quite fast, just be careful with the occasional Wurdalak, they have a Doom TP move (frontal, probably a cone I'd say?).

Keep in mind this is as a DNC + SCH duo with 4 trusts so we were mostly targetting VT/IT monsters when we realized they were falling very fast.

I wanted to try mobs outside Adoulin but I also wanted to keep Adoulin for later so I decided against it. Maybe next job!

Martheron

I've got to say, I've tried to play this game a few times through the years due to my brother ranting and raving about stories he's had while playing. I couldn't get into it, it was too slow and too based on needing party members. I've tried it again due to it being more solo friendly and I'm having a blast. I've just started dancer and I've made it to the 30s. Only thing is, I wish I could find current information on subjobs. Everything I find seems to end before 2012. Other then that, I'm glad I gave it one more shot!

Parshias7

You can go to Ranguemont Pass to level from 91-99 as well. Select the page with the bats and ahriman. There are goblins that will aggro in the loop you'll be using, I just killed everything I came across rather than focusing on just the bats/ahriman.

When finishing off SAM this past weekend I did the last 95-99 or so in the basement in Garlaige.

Labyrinth of Onzozo is good for the late 80s and early 90s, fight Toramas and Manticores. They're in the room where Ose spawns if you want to look up a map online. This spot can theoretically take you all the way to 99, but I usually leave an area once the exp per kill gets below 1k with the anniversary ring on.

Really the best way to find a leveling spot for your current level is to look at the list of Grounds Tomes and find a spot where the mobs will check around EM-low T to you. You can then ride that spot until the mobs hit the bottom end of EP. Getting an exp chain for 4k a pop sure sounds fun for those of us who were playing back in the day, but just burning through EP-DC mobs is usually a faster way to level. I usually get 150k~ an hour using these methods with the ring on.

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Grounds_Tome

Loona

Finally managed to get a shout for some of the Adoulin missions I was still missing, nice.

The next fight is against
Teodor
, but in order to be done with all the cutscenes, I wasn't too daring about straying from the path in Inner Ra'Kaznar or whatever - there were some teleport padsI could see there when zoning there from Cirdas, but if I were to use one of them, would I be able to return?
I'm not really sure how likely I am to return there, but it can be handy to kow these thing, as there's no equivalent to the guides for the Alzdahl "ruins" teleports, which are tricky to keep track of.

KeRaSh

Something strange is happening to my brother's account. He tried to log in half an hour ago like he always does and suddenly he gets a message that his account has been temporarily locked out because he entered a wrong password too many times...
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. It seems that someone is trying to access his SE account with wrong passwords which then locks out the account. How is he supposed to get around that? You can't just change your SE ID to prevent it from getting locked, can you?

We were looking forward to playing the last few days since I was busy and now this happens. What the fuck?

/edit: It's resolved. No idea what it was but he's logged in now...

You can go to Ranguemont Pass to level from 91-99 as well. Select the page with the bats and ahriman. There are goblins that will aggro in the loop you'll be using, I just killed everything I came across rather than focusing on just the bats/ahriman.

When finishing off SAM this past weekend I did the last 95-99 or so in the basement in Garlaige.

Labyrinth of Onzozo is good for the late 80s and early 90s, fight Toramas and Manticores. They're in the room where Ose spawns if you want to look up a map online. This spot can theoretically take you all the way to 99, but I usually leave an area once the exp per kill gets below 1k with the anniversary ring on.

Really the best way to find a leveling spot for your current level is to look at the list of Grounds Tomes and find a spot where the mobs will check around EM-low T to you. You can then ride that spot until the mobs hit the bottom end of EP. Getting an exp chain for 4k a pop sure sounds fun for those of us who were playing back in the day, but just burning through EP-DC mobs is usually a faster way to level. I usually get 150k~ an hour using these methods with the ring on.

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Grounds_Tome

Didn't even occur to me to check the GTs. Thanks for the suggestion!

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
So many side quests in Adoulin. I've been doing nothing but side quests for the last few days and haven't moved the main story forward at all. I've already opened the entire continent up to Outer Ra'Kaznar and learned all the survival abilities.

Just ran into a "Wait until next conquest tally to continue" point in the Vegetable Vegetable questline. Why do you do this to me FFXI?

Also making slow progress in my Mog garden to unlock the Chacharoon Trust. I need all of my stuff at level 4 to continue, but the book salesmen only had one book to level my fishing net. Do I just harvest from resources a few times to make more books available?

Also stuck on Meg-alomaniac, which just will not flag, even though I've met all the requirements.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
How are people leveling crafting skills in 2015? Someone mentioned something about buying items with gil that just power you to 60?

Each guild has items that only require it and the crystal to synth. You cannot however get HQ with them. But you can desynth the result or resell it.

Finally managed to get a shout for some of the Adoulin missions I was still missing, nice.

The next fight is against
Teodor
, but in order to be done with all the cutscenes, I wasn't too daring about straying from the path in Inner Ra'Kaznar or whatever - there were some teleport padsI could see there when zoning there from Cirdas, but if I were to use one of them, would I be able to return?
I'm not really sure how likely I am to return there, but it can be handy to kow these thing, as there's no equivalent to the guides for the Alzdahl "ruins" teleports, which are tricky to keep track of.

It's not that mean of a zone.

The pads in the inner court will take you up and down a level. The floating devices will take you to a special area in one of the gates, which connects to the crystal jutting out from the ground in each of the main outside zones. Basically how Cirdas connects to all the gates, so does Inner court, but it's a higher level portion.

Is there an addon/plugin that auto-adjusts the game's gamma settings depending on zone/time of day? Tired of getting blinded when I warp to Valkurm x_x

After coming back for the past few weeks, I must say I really enjoy exploring Vanadiel again. So many scary places in the beastmen areas that I'd forgotten and maze-like areas.. so much more fun to run around in than most MMO areas of recent for me.

B.K.

What's some good BLM gear? I know Pan has told me before, but I don't really remember. I'm going to ask here so I can write everything down and have something to go by. Here is what I have equipped right now:

Baqil Staff
Mephitis Grip
Witchstone
Helios Band
Eddy Necklace
Pysstorm Earring
Lifestorm Earring
Hagondes Coat
Helios Gloves
Acumen Ring
Bane Cape
Searing Sash
Telchine Braconi
Uk'uxkaj Boots

What's some good BLM gear? I know Pan has told me before, but I don't really remember. I'm going to ask here so I can write everything down and have something to go by. Here is what I have equipped right now:

Baqil Staff
Mephitis Grip
Witchstone
Helios Band
Eddy Necklace
Pysstorm Earring
Lifestorm Earring
Hagondes Coat
Helios Gloves
Acumen Ring
Bane Cape
Searing Sash
Telchine Braconi
Uk'uxkaj Boots

Specifically for nuking my midcast sets look like this on geo:

sets.midcast.MA.nukehigh = {
head="helios band",neck="mizu. kubikazari",ear1="crematio earring",ear2="strophadic earring",
body="Azimuth Coat +1",hands="helios gloves",ring1="shiva ring +1",ring2="strendu ring",
back="gwyddion's cape",waist="yamabuki-no-obi",legs="Hagondes pants +1",feet="umbani boots"}

sets.midcast.MA.nukelow = {
head="helios band",neck="eddy necklace",ear1="crematio earring",ear2="strophadic earring",
body="Seidr Cotehardie",hands="helios gloves",ring1="shiva ring +1",ring2="strendu ring",
back="gwyddion's cape",waist="sekhmet corset",legs="Hagondes pants +1",feet="umbani boots"}

For blm I would go after some of the JSE especially the 119 AF body, which has 2% mp return on nuke damage. Need to really look at them to see what's good, but odds are that stuff is a good start.

B.K.

I've tried to do the Orichalcum Survey Assault five times and never can find the damn orichalcum. Am I doing something wrong? All I do is mine each mining point until it disappears, right? Am I missing some trick to it?

I've tried to do the Orichalcum Survey Assault five times and never can find the damn orichalcum. Am I doing something wrong? All I do is mine each mining point until it disappears, right? Am I missing some trick to it?

No trick, you get the orichalcum eventually and then deliver it. Easier with more people to check the points.

Loona

I recall reading something about a project to gather player voices for a chorus to celebrate the end of Rhapsodies or something - this just came up, although I'm yet to see a translted version: http://www.playonline.com/ff11/vanaproj/detail/chorus.html
Google Translate can't translate the whole page if you provide just the URL, but it'll translate any text you copy-paste from it, at least - it basically has the guidelines to submit your recorded sections.

Hehe 30 minutes of 3-manned Dynamis - San D'oria was pretty fun on my walmart, forgot my bolts, bags nearly full THF.

Now I'm curious to see how bad the CoP Dynamis zones are since those were such a damned nightmare when they came out.

B.K.

Now I'm curious to see how bad the CoP Dynamis zones are since those were such a damned nightmare when they came out.

I soloed and cleared the bosses on all the Dynamises except Xarcabard and Tavnazia. I don't know if I could have cleared Tavnazia or not. I aggroed a lot of stuff when I was trying to get TE statues and never made it to the boss.

Hello! I am looking to return to this game and was wondering how the community is on Sylph?

I run an ls on sylph called ihop, it's been bumping lately with a few active members in various timezones, new folks seem really friendly, and myself and the other vets on the shell are usually willing to help out when we are free.

New login campaign is up, Poroggo costume and Rongelouts.

Lots of TOAU repeats too for those that missed them first go around. Galley kitchen items, new furniture.

Almyn

New login campaign is up, Poroggo costume and Rongelouts.

Lots of TOAU repeats too for those that missed them first go around. Galley kitchen items, new furniture.

omg that frog costume is amazing. I kinda wish I had made a Taru now instead of a Hume as I would never take that off.

Neoshi Mizuta posted this, apparently the incoming mobile version: http://app.famitsu.com/20150608_530102/
(Is that a Curilla in one of the screenshots?...)
Zero expectations on this, but it's sort of funny how pimped out everyone looks - not sure if all of that gear has proper FFXI counterparts...

Weapons and shields look a little funny, but the armor looks mostly legit. Whatever that galka is wearing I can't identify, but I see warrior AF, level 1 leather armor (or scale? its lowbie stuff though) maybe an armadaberk.

looks like bravely default characters with FFXI armor designs. Its fine I guess. I'd be willing to give grandmasters a try if it makes it over here, no interest in the other thing

BasicMath

I've been having lots of fun just getting to 75 on Asura in the last month. LB3 was a nightmare and LB5 was a pain in the ass, though.

Went on to the PLD AF quests. Fun overall except that the last piece (the head piece/coronet?). The coffer for that one dropped a nice 25k gil instead. I think Im screwed.

Anyway, I was wondering what combo is better for endgame: PLD/NIN or PLD/WAR?

Sheppard

I run an ls on sylph called ihop, it's been bumping lately with a few active members in various timezones, new folks seem really friendly, and myself and the other vets on the shell are usually willing to help out when we are free.

With a name like yours how can it NOT be fun lol.

Mika

I've been having lots of fun just getting to 75 on Asura in the last month. LB3 was a nightmare and LB5 was a pain in the ass, though.

Went on to the PLD AF quests. Fun overall except that the last piece (the head piece/coronet?). The coffer for that one dropped a nice 25k gil instead. I think Im screwed.

Strange, assuming you had started/finished the AF Hands quest, you should've gotten the Coronet. Unless for whatever reason you weren't on PLD when you opened the coffer.

I usually see PLDs on /WAR, /NIN not really being popular for the same reason NINs aren't.

pld/war and pld/rdm are typical combos. /nin (avoiding damage via shadows) sort of defeats the purpose of pld (which is to sit there and get beat on with your shield). That's not to say it wouldn't have situational uses (so it's not a waste to get it to sub level at least or anything like that) but you won't see it frequently.

so i've finally completed all jobs to level 75 or higher, got sandoria to rank 10, and just yesterday was able to get bastok from rank 3 to 10 in one day...having all those survival guides, homepoints and Domenic to teleport me to where I need to go really helps the second time through.

I'm glossing through windurst, and it seems like its a different element walkthrough wise.. I suppose I lucked out doing sandoria first then bastok next..

anyways, my goal in ff11 is to finish zilart, treasures, wings and then finally windurst..I'm trying to get as many achievements before the eventual EOS in march of next year.

Playing on PC is so much better because things just load so much faster than on xbox 360..

BasicMath

Strange, assuming you had started/finished the AF Hands quest, you should've gotten the Coronet. Unless for whatever reason you weren't on PLD when you opened the coffer.

I usually see PLDs on /WAR, /NIN not really being popular for the same reason NINs aren't.
I did everything as PLD except picking the coffin at Necropolis (Got the Key Item and AF just fine). I went to hunt the other AF near Qulun Dome immediately after and got it without issues.

I was so excited when I finally found the chest for the coronet. It was the last one on my checklist for the dungeon. Words cannot describe how dissapointed I was when that 25k gil message appeared.

And Im totally going PLD/WAR.

Edit: Got it. I was opening chests instead of coffers. Moved towards the area beyond the second or third banishing gate and found the coffer. Hunted for like an hour and got it on the first go.

I have a lvl 95 BLU. Not sure on where to even start. I am going to try Beyond limits and try not to get worked. Are you on Sylph as well?

Yeah I'm on sylph but I'm not exactly bristling with experience or gear. I got someone who is geared to help with beyond limits. I farmed the old rarab tail and it was trivial after that.

Yeah I'm on sylph but I'm not exactly bristling with experience or gear. I got someone who is geared to help with beyond limits. I farmed the old rarab tail and it was trivial after that.

My experience a few days ago:
1. Tried the fight. Wiped hard. His defense is stupid, like Siren.
2. Spent an hour farming a tail which has an obnoxious drop rate even with TH. Knocked maybe a third of his life off. Wiped hard.
3. Farmed two tails in two hours, got him down to about a fourth left. Wiped hard. I was so pissed I had to take a break from the game for a couple days. I know old vets will laugh at me at something only taking a couple hours (including myself) but with how smooth it is to get through most content now it's jarring when there's a big roadblock.
4. Farmed five tails in three hours, only needed three to win. Wasn't taking any chances. Done-zo.

Now at 99, holy crap is the sparks gear overpowered for story content. It feels like using a cheat code.

Malick[AI];167014237 said:
No Gobbiebag item from the login campaign... again....

I'm irked. Been waiting a week for a gem I need to get the next upgrade to be available on the AH. Might have to bite the bullet and level goldsmithing. I know I have the option to ask in the linkshell but I prefer to do everything myself if possible.

My experience a few days ago:
1. Tried the fight. Wiped hard. His defense is stupid, like Siren.
2. Spent an hour farming a tail which has an obnoxious drop rate even with TH. Knocked maybe a third of his life off. Wiped hard.
3. Farmed two tails in two hours, got him down to about a fourth left. Wiped hard. I was so pissed I had to take a break from the game for a couple days. I know old vets will laugh at me at something only taking a couple hours (including myself) but with how smooth it is to get through most content now it's jarring when there's a big roadblock.
4. Farmed five tails in three hours, only needed three to win. Wasn't taking any chances. Done-zo.

Now at 99, holy crap is the sparks gear overpowered for story content. It feels like using a cheat code.

The taru has a damage cap that's present until you use a tail, letting you do somewhat normal damage. When that fight came out, there were no tails. You brought a pld and a whm and a brd and buffed everyone out the ass. He also skillchains whoever has hate. It felt fucking great to clear it, lemme tell you.

The taru has a damage cap that's present until you use a tail, letting you do somewhat normal damage. When that fight came out, there were no tails. You brought a pld and a whm and a brd and buffed everyone out the ass. He also skillchains whoever has hate. It felt fucking great to clear it, lemme tell you.

Key word being "somewhat"! It seemed that only weapon skills were really making a dent. I can only imagine what a pain in the arse it must've been. I mean, yeah, four trusts don't replace five other skilled/geared/buffed players, but still. That must have been a huge wall for people to get over.

Key word being "somewhat"! It seemed that only weapon skills were really making a dent. I can only imagine what a pain in the arse it must've been. I mean, yeah, four trusts don't replace five other skilled/geared/buffed players, but still. That must have been a huge wall for people to get over.

It wasn't that bad, we did it several hours after it came out. The biggest pain in the ass was farming the stone and dealing with the enfire he has on every hit.

The amount of power you gain by working in a group can be an exponential increase. I guess if you haven't really seen that in action (you get a little taste of it with trusts but it's not the same thing) then it's hard to understand.

Top Bottom