• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

Moobabe

Are you on sylph? I'll get you a pearl.

Yeah I am (Moobabes - I'm in Sandy) I might pop on later but I'll definitely be on tomorrow afternoon.

There have been times recently when I wonder how I even put up with some of the shit this game pulled when I used to play.

I think it was the final SAM AF quest, it had me starting in Norg, moving to Jeuno, then to Mhaura, then to Bastok, then to the BC in the mines, then back to Norg to finish. If I had been doing this quest back when I was originally playing, it probably would've taken me all day to go around these areas, not to mention grabbing some LS folks to do the fight. These days? Took like 30 minutes. I am really glad at how much they've cut down on the walking and walking and sitting around for 30 minutes for a ship ride.

Although the solo-friendly ways of leveling and doing some of the missions came as a hard shift once I did make it to 99. Sitting around in town to hear yells for skirmishes or other events can be kind of a pain when you're used to being able to go out and get stuff done at your own pace. But then if the whole game was soloable it just wouldn't be FFXI.

It was definitely trippy my first day back to just go around through older areas with absolutely no one else around, though.

I understand the game did some bonkers, counter intuitive bullshit - but I wouldn't have had it any other way. I loved grouping, forming bonds with players over long periods and working together to maximise your exp gain.

I'm also back on WoW (just the first 20 levels since its free) and we ran Deadmines in about 10 minutes with 5 level 11s - that's not the same any more either. But WoW, Final Fantasy XI and the original GW were, for me, GOAT as far as MMOs are concerned and nothing has come close. FF XIV is good (albeit a little similar to WoW) and, like the massively article linked in the OP, does a VERY poor job at using the world properly. Don't get me started on Guild Wars 2...

Yeah I am (Moobabes - I'm in Sandy) I might pop on later but I'll definitely be on tomorrow afternoon.

I understand the game did some bonkers, counter intuitive bullshit - but I wouldn't have had it any other way. I loved grouping, forming bonds with players over long periods and working together to maximise your exp gain.

I'm also back on WoW (just the first 20 levels since its free) and we ran Deadmines in about 10 minutes with 5 level 11s - that's not the same any more either. But WoW, Final Fantasy XI and the original GW were, for me, GOAT as far as MMOs are concerned and nothing has come close. FF XIV is good (albeit a little similar to WoW) and, like the massively article linked in the OP, does a VERY poor job at using the world properly. Don't get me started on Guild Wars 2...

I think some of what you're looking for still exists in endgame. xp parties still exist for grinding out job points, the new merits. Simply getting to 99 isn't an "event" anymore though, and honestly it didn't need to be. There's plenty of room to min max for battlefields and other things that are far more interesting than grinding mandies in the jungle for hours. It sounds like you've never been a part of that type of stuff, but when you're geared up and ready, you're more than welcome to join us for events Tuesday evenings EST, and whenever people randomly run stuff on the weekends and whatnot.

Parshias7

Here's a question: would I be able to solo the three cities' voidwatch tiers if I used the debuff items? I ask this because I need to get through the earlier ones in order to quest for empyrean WS, and fudo is super important for SAM.

I did a handful of them a couple weeks ago, but I hit a roadblock in the higher tiers trying the fights solo. The Malboro on the Bastok path wrecked me a bunch of times with its death breath. I looked on the wiki at the NMs from the other cities and they all seemed to have really nasty debuff moves, so I wasn't sure if I could handle them alone. I'm not super interested in procing them or anything, (although that wouldn't hurt) just getting the clears so I can start the WS quest.

jiggle

Did they make it easier to bypass 3mages gate, like they did to quicksand and garlaige?
I need to get my AF in toraimarai :/

edit: wow, FFXI finally getting real swimsuits? O.O

Loona

I wonder if the Footwork update means it's now something worth keeping active at all times - the old version, during a very limited time, was worth it with specialized equipment if you stuck to specific weaponskills, but then became obsolete.

The official forums now list Shikaree Z as the new Trust (but the only one at that, when the patch notes use plural "New alter egos have been added" - probably a new one for a login campaign in the files somewhere...), but from the screenshot in the update notes it's not really clear whom we're supposed to talk to to get her - kinda looks like Windurst, so maybe Perih Vashai, since she has a bit of a history with the sin hunters?...

I wonder what's a good setup to handle Eco-Warrior now - Galadar looks like a good trust to use, not sure about others...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think some of what you're looking for still exists in endgame. xp parties still exist for grinding out job points, the new merits. Simply getting to 99 isn't an "event" anymore though, and honestly it didn't need to be. There's plenty of room to min max for battlefields and other things that are far more interesting than grinding mandies in the jungle for hours. It sounds like you've never been a part of that type of stuff, but when you're geared up and ready, you're more than welcome to join us for events Tuesday evenings EST, and whenever people randomly run stuff on the weekends and whatnot.

Besides, I've had quite a bit of fun just helping people with stuff when they need help, and gotten quite a bit of help in return. The main advantage being I don't have to commit hours of time at once to do such things, and yet can still be involved.

It's been quieter thanks to the FFXIV expansion and recent steam sale though (I love me some Hand of Fate).

Seigyoku

You get the Shika from talking to Perih, though she could be locked out depending on where you are in CoP.

The others are in as ciphers and will likely be a combo of next login campaign and a summer alter ego event (which was mentioned on this morning's Freshly Pickled.)

I haven't logged in since update, but no mention of letting you CANCEL Eco-Warrior means it STILL ISN'T FIXED.

Loona

Has anyone put together a full list of quests and missions Shikaree Z references?

I think I'll go do the Boneyard Gully battle quests she appears in before talking to Perih, just in case - hopefully they're all soloable nowadays. I love when the Trust CSs reference stuff you've been involved with.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if I should finish Tuning In and Tuning Out too, although Shikaree Y's the one involved with those IIRC.

I'm online if anyone can invite me to the LS - Moobabes on Sylph (I'm in West Ronf at the moment)

Completely missed you. Send folks a tell, there's a spreadsheet in the OP you can use to find sackholders.

I'll throw some pearls on the sandy linkshell concierge right now as well.

Anyone here from the Shiva server?

I'm thinking about coming back and I'd really like to join an active linkshell. :)

A lot of us are on sylph, there's a spreadsheet in the OP that has a lot of the active posters on it with their servers. Transfer over if you've got nothing going on over there!

B.K.

Finally got the Wildskeeper campaign again starting tomorrow. Need to do a lot of those things for bayld and for HP Bayld to sell to Chocobro.

jiggle

I just started farming bayld and improving fame in adoulin yesterday
cuz I was looking at 25,000bayld on wildskeeper key item
So good timing on this campaign

Bummed about no 2x exp though
I was hoping to finish up SCH and do PUP next

Edit: ooh nice. I can finally recruit Joachim
So jealous seeing ppl with him and ulmia out

Bunch of good returning trusts and a bunch of new ones coming on the 2nd.

The Summer Alter Ego Extravaganza will commence on July 2, bringing along with it three new alter egos to add to your arsenal!

- Leonoyne, the ice-cold hero of Jugner!
- Maximilian, the cunning commander of the Bastokan 1st Legion!
- Kayeel-Payeel, Master Caster of the Aquarian War Warlocks!

For those of you who may have missed them during the New Year's Alter Ego Extravaganza and last year's Summer Alter Ego Extravaganza, we are also bringing back some more of our beloved characters as well!

- From the Far East, the enigmatic Tenzen!
- The Springserpent General herself, Mihli Aliapoh!
- Valaineral R Davilles, master of the Uriel Blade!
- Coming to you straight from Abyssea, Joachim!
- Bane of beastmen, the Red Rose Warrior, Noillurie!
- The fiery Elivira, captain of the Gold Musketeers!
- The most patient beastmaster, Lhu Mhakracca!
- Ferreous Coffin, the bringer of white death!
- Gilgamesh, salty samurai of the sea!
- The Tavnazian Terror, Kukki-Chebukki!
- Adoulin's eyes and ears, Margaret!

I should look up wildskeeper reives. The only reason I haven't bothered with them yet is a) I was addicted to grinding jobs during the double exp event and b) I was sure I wouldn't find a group in a reasonable time and my play hours are restricted as it is. If the event stirs new interest I guess I should learn what they are and how to join them lol.

I should look up wildskeeper reives. The only reason I haven't bothered with them yet is a) I was addicted to grinding jobs during the double exp event and b) I was sure I wouldn't find a group in a reasonable time and my play hours are restricted as it is. If the event stirs new interest I guess I should learn what they are and how to join them lol.
during the last WKR event there was a group just cycling through them near constantly

B.K.

You really don't need to be in a group to do Wildskeeper Reives. When people start shouting, just go out there, bring out trusts, and start killing mobs until it's over.

jiggle

I have a question on abyssea
Is pearlescent light very much required for any pyrix farming?

I maxed out Amber right away, along with working on azure
But in nearly a full hour. I had 1 gold and 1 blue pop

Once I started doing pearlescent though
chests started to pop like crazy

Is this right?

I have a question on abyssea
Is pearlescent light very much required for any pyrix farming?

I maxed out Amber right away, along with working on azure
But in nearly a full hour. I had 1 gold and 1 blue pop

Once I started doing pearlescent though
chests started to pop like crazy

Is this right?
Amber/azure/ruby incease the quality and ratio of their chest drops. Pearlescent increases the drop rate of all chest types. With capped Amber, 0 azure, 0 ruby and capped pearlescent expect to see tons of amber chests

jiggle

Amber/azure/ruby incease the quality and ratio of their chest drops. Pearlescent increases the drop rate of all chest types. With capped Amber, 0 azure, 0 ruby and capped pearlescent expect to see tons of amber chests
Thanks!
Just wanted to make sure so I don't waste time in there lol

Story time!

Yjo5jkx.jpg

Finally finished them!

Have been playing on-and-off (mainly on :p) since English launch in 2003, Xbox version since 2006 when that one came out. Can't believe finally achieved my greatest achievement! 100% Final Fantasy XI's Achievements! :D

Most of them were done normally, over the many years of playing naturally achieving things. I'd do bits and pieces every-so-often, whenever we'd finish something I'd rush to the title Bard to get the new one.

Funny enough its almost 9 years to the day since I got my first Achievement in it lol.

It was never a serious goal for me until the days of Abyssea made exp'ing easy. The last few were a hassle to get, like having to use mules etc to get the Ballistar one, and I'd never have done Assaults if they hadn't changed them to being able to go in with less than 3 people - but in the end, I got there! With the Xbox one shutting down next year it was really now or (literally) never type thing to try and finish the list off.

For a game as special to me as FFXI is, it was worth it! :D

That reminds me I should get back to completing all the storyline missions in the game. Been so focused on gearing up to solo stuff that I'm still stranded fairly early in WotG and have stalled out on Adoulin.

How often does this game go on sale? 39.99 USD seems a bit much atm.

Would love to start over and experience it from the beginning, considering how everything is much easier.

Mika

Would love to start over and experience it from the beginning, considering how everything is much easier.

Not sure how often, but it does from time to time. Currently, you can get the Ultimate Seekers Edition for $30 from Steam and Amazon.

I predict a sale when the August update hits. Also watch the steam sales, it's usually on every one.

saher

Banned
I just returned after one year ,there are way less people in asura (500ish) and jeuno is so empty ,really sad times.

Oh well i returned to finish WOTG ,SOA and the new story.

ZetaEpyon

I just returned after one year ,there are way less people in asura (500ish) and jeuno is so empty ,really sad times.

Oh well i returned to finish WOTG ,SOA and the new story.

Asura is reportedly one of the largest servers. At least on Sylph, there are usually just people selling stuff in Port Jeuno, otherwise everyone pretty much congregates in Adoulin. Could be the same over there.

B.K.

I've been doing Nyzul off and on the last couple weeks when I'm not doing Wildskeeper Reives. In all the years I've been playing, I never made it past floor 10. Last night, I made it to 75, got my Vigil great axe and unlocked my first Mythic weaponskill. I'm going to try to finish Nyzul this week and then get back on Assaults.

ZetaEpyon

I've been doing Nyzul off and on the last couple weeks when I'm not doing Wildskeeper Reives. In all the years I've been playing, I never made it past floor 10. Last night, I made it to 75, got my Vigil great axe and unlocked my first Mythic weaponskill. I'm going to try to finish Nyzul this week and then get back on Assaults.

Sweet, hopefully I can get in on some of that Nyzul for the tokens.

saher

Banned
I found new love with bst and been gearing it up in the last few days, just got the oboro weapons and 2 reforged AF pieces.

working slowly towards soloing alluvion skirmish,i've never done the new ones so i expect to die few times

B.K.

Talym and I just went from 76 to 100 in Nyzul. I never thought I'd clear Nyzul. I was disappointed in the floor 100 boss. I was hoping for some unique megaboss.

Top Bottom