• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

Boss Mog

Any tips on the Rhapsodies
Balamor
fight?

Went in mnk/dnc, with trusts Trion, Kupipi, Mhili, Cherukiki and Ferreous Coffin, but the guy kind of abused AoEs, from what I could tell.

Maybe bad choice of trusts, maybe I'm getting undergeared?...

Yeah those trusts are not the best. Hopefully you're in Apururu's Unity (if not you should switch) and can summon her . She is BY FAR the best WHM trust. She almost never runs out of MP because she has Dagan weapon skill (her version is called Nott) and she uses it to get MP back and can spam it due to her insane regain. She also has Convert and Devotion and her AI is a lot better as well.

Arciela is also a trust I always have in party. She has regain as well (not as strong as Apururu's though) and uses TP moves that AoE Cure the party for around 800 and another that boosts Magic Defense. She can also Haste II and Refresh II you.

I don't recommend ever using PLD trusts because they're all absolute trash with the exception of the new August trust. August is actually an amazing PLD trust who's probably better than half of the PLD players out there. The drop rate on the Cipher from Sinister Reign is abysmal though sadly.

Ulmia is also nice as she double Marches you.

As for your job if you have a job that can deal big damage quick like BLU, DNC or SAM. I went on BLU and one solo skill chain and it was dead. DNC can surely kill it in one skillchain too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finished up Seekers of Adoulin missions. The story was really good, despite the mission format being absolutely terrible.

Got that nice SMN ring for pets.

Mika

Not that I'm aware of. In fact, I've been wondering how close we are to being able to use up a ring charge in a single kill, heh.

ZetaEpyon

Not that I'm aware of. In fact, I've been wondering how close we are to being able to use up a ring charge in a single kill, heh.

Probably 2 mobs:
delicious.png

rybrad

Anyone else have their Rhapsodies Chapter 2 skip a bunch of missions? I was doing story missions to catch up so I could actually do Chapter 2 and on a random Aht Urghan mission it skipped me ahead 8 or so missions in Rhapsodies. I missed out on the Trusts because of this and also the story stuff which is a bummer. I was waiting for the maintenance to see if that would fix it but no luck.

rybrad

Haven't heard of that, but it looks like some people are talking about it on the official forum:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/47945-Skipped-Rhapsody-of-Vanadiel-Missions

I'd hope they'll address something like this soon, since it's kind of a big deal.

EDIT: Maybe this has something to do with it? http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news24180.shtml
Yea that is the same issue I am having, pretty bummed out that it didn't get fixed with the patch.

I've always enjoyed the Mumor events/story, actually sad to realise its the last one. :( Every year I've participated in these things!

Little stuff like that actually getting to my feels make me really realise how much a part of my life this game has been heh.

Rawk Hawk

Was able to update, and run my way back to town last night. May hop on a couple times during the free campaign to say hi and listen to the music again. And/or get hooked again..

I've always enjoyed the Mumor events/story, actually sad to realise its the last one. :( Every year I've participated in these things!

Little stuff like that actually getting to my feels make me really realise how much a part of my life this game has been heh.

I'm sorry i thought they will only end the service for ps2/x360.
I honestly thought they will continue with the game on pc/mobile with old/new events and new content?
Im confused now...

I'm sorry i thought they will only end the service for ps2/x360.
I honestly thought they will continue with the game on pc/mobile with old/new events and new content?
Im confused now...

The game on PC will keep going but I thought they weren't gonna do much in the way of new content after the last story thing finishes? Maybe I'm wrong.

The fact that its called Curtain Call as well, doing the actual event didn't really wrap things up in any real farewell fashion though so maybe they'll do more of them.

Mika

Events will probably continue cycling, I'd be surprised if Mumor wasn't back next year, but we might not get new items/event scenarios. There's supposed to be no more major updates, but I don't believe they've clarified exactly what we can expect besides bugfixes and balance adjustments. There are still several questions about how post-Rhapsodies Vana'diel will continue.

The Emptiness eats us in Rhapsodies pt3 and deletes our character.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Is there any way to get the first Mumor Trust? I missed her last year, and you can't get her with a red Pell. Figured she'd just be back this year but it's Mumor II.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Is there any way to get the first Mumor Trust? I missed her last year, and you can't get her with a red Pell. Figured she'd just be back this year but it's Mumor II.

I actually got that trust this year. Doing the mumor event multiple times and talking to the moogle afterwards. I think it gets you a random event item (also got a synth piece for Star Orb). But one of them was the cipher.

Ya you can get the old Mumor Trust by just repeating the event currently going on. Even if you get the new one first don't worry, try it again and you should get the Cipher.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
so on which server are you guys playing? just reinstalled for the welcome back campaign.

EDIT ahhh a google doc. I've a char on asura since 1 hour

Rawk Hawk

Ran into a fun problem last night, something I forgot all about. I spent about 45 minutes traveling to different towns trying to access my mog locker thinking it was something that was only in my set home mog house.. finally I looked it up and it all came back to me, of course I don't have coins, but should be able get grab a few tonight. I suppose at the very least I was able to grab a couple home points in the starter cities for future use.

Thanks again for the help with trusts and the mini map thing.

Killed my first Porxie today, dropped a bunch of shit idk what it's for. And 20k exp points.

Going to be hard to resist grinding in Escha while I still have Rhapsodies missions left to clear.

Ran into a fun problem last night, something I forgot all about. I spent about 45 minutes traveling to different towns trying to access my mog locker thinking it was something that was only in my set home mog house.. finally I looked it up and it all came back to me, of course I don't have coins, but should be able get grab a few tonight. I suppose at the very least I was able to grab a couple home points in the starter cities for future use.

Thanks again for the help with trusts and the mini map thing.

You came back? Awesome.
Make sure someone hooks you up with a pearl if they haven't already.

Rawk Hawk

For some reason I read your bst bandwagon comment as in those will be jugs or charmeable pets. But just now got the joke, I'm so slow D:

D: Ohey!

You came back? Awesome.
Make sure someone hooks you up with a pearl if they haven't already.

Yup, someone tossed me one back during the Sept. welcome home event. I'll just be around for the free weeks most likely. I've been on for 2 days, gathered up old gear for my lv40 dancer, as I thought hitting 50 would be a fair goal for the free weeks.. instantly MPK'd myself when I tried to do some FoV stuff. Oh FFXI, you never change.

D: Ohey!

Yup, someone tossed me one back during the Sept. welcome home event. I'll just be around for the free weeks most likely. I've been on for 2 days, gathered up old gear for my lv40 dancer, as I thought hitting 50 would be a fair goal for the free weeks.. instantly MPK'd myself when I tried to do some FoV stuff. Oh FFXI, you never change.

I've been on a bit of a hiatus while I take care of some RL stuff but I plan to come back soon. Writing a new sch lua and then I'll play again on saturdays at least. Hopefully I'll catch you on before the free period ends.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I can't move my char from one server (Odin ffs) to another during the free period, right?

tried it in the mogstation...but would have needed to pay 1200 crystals to reactivate the char..

1 hour? Delete and re-roll on sylph.

:D a few friends from my FFXIV FC play on asura.

Aquila

Any tips on the Rhapsodies
Balamor
fight?

Went in mnk/dnc, with trusts Trion, Kupipi, Mhili, Cherukiki and Ferreous Coffin, but the guy kind of abused AoEs, from what I could tell.

Maybe bad choice of trusts, maybe I'm getting undergeared?...

I know it's days late, but I just came back for the free login campaign and finished this fight. I barely survived as BLM/WHM in welfare/sparks 117 gear. My trusts were Ferreous Coffin (best healer short of Apururu afaik), Gessho, Valineral (dual tank to last as long as possible), Prishe (generic dps), and Ulmia (double haste).
Balamor
's aoe killed everyone asides from Ulmia about 2/3 in despite my efforts to heal after Ferreous lost all mp. I was dumb and fought on darksday so I just rotated heals and whatever nuke did the most damage. The next storyline battle was stupidly easy.

Not sure how much time I can invest over the next 10 days or so but which storyline would be most worthwhile, lorewise and timewise, to try and finish? ToAU, WotG, or Adoulin?

I kind of miss abby exp parties now. They were tedious but trust gov grinding requires even more running around and it doesn't feel as fast.

Loona

I know it's days late, but I just came back for the free login campaign and finished this fight. I barely survived as BLM/WHM in welfare/sparks 117 gear. My trusts were Ferreous Coffin (best healer short of Apururu afaik), Gessho, Valineral (dual tank to last as long as possible), Prishe (generic dps), and Ulmia (double haste).
Balamor
's aoe killed everyone asides from Ulmia about 2/3 in despite my efforts to heal after Ferreous lost all mp. I was dumb and fought on darksday so I just rotated heals and whatever nuke did the most damage. The next storyline battle was stupidly easy.

I've beaten it since - IIRC used Trion, Ingrid, Prishe II, Ferreous Coffin and Kupipi. Used a vitality potion I had taking up space in my inventory just in case and remembered to use Hundred Fists this time once everyone's HP seemed stable enough.

Not sure how much time I can invest over the next 10 days or so but which storyline would be most worthwhile, lorewise and timewise, to try and finish? ToAU, WotG, or Adoulin?

ToAU seems like a good bet - it has some nice moments, and an element from it is assigned some importance it later mission lines.
Release order tends to be a good guideline regardless.

I just circled my trusts around Balamor so half his aoes would hit 1-2 bodies at most. I still lost most of my trusts but by then he was at 6% so one WS killed him. Having two healers during the fight and a self-heal seems to smooth out the damage a lot.

ToAU has the better story of those three expansions. It's probably also the most challenging to complete in 10 days (lots of midnight JST waits). I don't even know if it's possible to finish Adoulin in 10 days because of the Imprimatur block early on.

the imprimatur block should be doable (it only takes like 30 imprimaturs total now)

ToAU has midnight waits, like 4 of them

Adoulin is my second favorite story (only behind CoP), but it would probably be the hardest to get done as you do need help for some of the fights, but if you can find it then its not that bad. Its definitely longer than ToAU, not sure whether WoTG + quests is longer, but probably is.

Ive beaten rhapsodies with both of my characters, and I just made him explode in like 10 seconds with both characters (DRK and DNC). Amchuchu trust to tank at the start, charge up and kill. However Im probably a bit better geared than those that are just going through the story.

Maybe I don't have enough distance from it to fairly judge, but WotG's story feels sloppy and poorly paced compared to what came before it. I like many of the characters that get center stage for most of the fighting, but then you have to rub shoulders with some extremely weak and awful company for the rest. Ragelise follows the classic Tragic Hero's arc and it's cool to watch him struggle through it, but then Portia is literally Princess Peach the entire time and it's difficult to give a shit. She's so bad she pretty much bogs down Lilisette's likability. The villains are good tho.

ToAU felt more consistent across the board, plus the comedic beats are top notch.

Maybe I don't have enough distance from it to fairly judge, but WotG's story feels sloppy and poorly paced compared to what came before it. I like many of the characters that get center stage for most of the fighting, but then you have to rub shoulders with some extremely weak and awful company for the rest. Ragelise follows the classic Tragic Hero's arc and it's cool to watch him struggle through it, but then Portia is literally Princess Peach the entire time and it's difficult to give a shit. She's so bad she pretty much bogs down Lilisette's likability. The villains are good tho.

ToAU felt more consistent across the board, plus the comedic beats are top notch.
I like a lot of WoTG's story, but I agree its paced poorly. ToAU is rushed to its conclusion though, I remember thinking that years ago when I first did it at launch, and I agree with it still now having just redid it on my second character.

Overall I would put WoTG and ToAU about equal, with CoP then SoA as the best. RotZ is the weakest of the main expansions

EDIT: Ill agree on the comedic beats, fucking laughed out loud all over again at king of hearts
"NeEd tAnK * PlEaSe SenD tElL"

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Story wise I'd go...

Chains of Promathia
Rise of Zilart
Wings of the Goddess
Seekers and Adoulin
Treasures of Aht Urhgan

Enjoyment of missions...

Chains of Promathia
Rise of Zilart
Treasures of Aht Urhgan
Wings of the Goddess
Seekers and Adoulin

I complained a lot about CoP when it hit, but man, after playing through SoA, I realize how much better it was to actually have to do something.

Most of CoP's bullshit circled around the level cap and over-tuned BCNM fights, which forced groups to spend their way to victory rather than figure out the solution to a puzzle ('bring more rangers to promy,' 'buy viles for tenzen,' 'buy five sets of HQ gear because level caps.') The mission structure and storytelling was actually quite good otherwise.

i beat all of CoP twice before nerfs (major anyway, airship fight was ticked up to 45 minute max) and never felt it was the way. The only time I really remember spending to win was icarus wings for snoll tzar and tenzen. It was hard, but i never felt forced into any setup or limited by gil. I also did every single mission as DRK. Second character I swapped between WHM for low level and BRD once I outlvled my WHM

to me, CoP is the pinnacle of MMO mission design. Its incredibly daunting, just getting to bosses is an achievement in its own, then you are faced with a brickwall, and having to start over if you mess your reraises up, but thats what made it so rewarding. The challenges also differed from what people expect these days, trash mobs would slaughter you if you werent careful, puzzles were the actual dungeons rather than the boss mechanics. Bosses were tough but never didnt make sense (something I really hate about new MMOs, and something I hate about Delve to a lesser extent)

I pugged my WHM through all of CoP and I've never had as big a challenge which I appreciated, but at the same time because I had such variability from group to group and because access to abilities that conserve your meager mana are so limited at 30/40/60 I definitely spent my way through Promy30, Ouryu, Tenzen and Airship. I think I dropped ~300k gil on Ultima/Omega alone because we didn't want to farm up our own Polymers. It was rewarding, but I can see how more casual groups would get frustrated; never before was it so hard just to experience just the story of the game. The difficulty spike was pretty damn extreme compared to Zilart, where the hardest things were routinely pugged by randos with little risk of failure (owing largely to having access to all your level 75 gear and abilities), and not getting to experience the new content with my IRL friends who couldn't go as hard at it as I did was really saddening.

I could see pugging things making items feel a little more needed. I wasnt hardcore, or in a hardcore shell, but I was in a very large shell, so we always had groups

There also werent any polymers when I did it

i beat all of CoP twice before nerfs (major anyway, airship fight was ticked up to 45 minute max) and never felt it was the way. The only time I really remember spending to win was icarus wings for snoll tzar and tenzen. It was hard, but i never felt forced into any setup or limited by gil. I also did every single mission as DRK. Second character I swapped between WHM for low level and BRD once I outlvled my WHM

to me, CoP is the pinnacle of MMO mission design. Its incredibly daunting, just getting to bosses is an achievement in its own, then you are faced with a brickwall, and having to start over if you mess your reraises up, but thats what made it so rewarding. The challenges also differed from what people expect these days, trash mobs would slaughter you if you werent careful, puzzles were the actual dungeons rather than the boss mechanics. Bosses were tough but never didnt make sense (something I really hate about new MMOs, and something I hate about Delve to a lesser extent)

Delve actually has a pretty good logic / structure to it, it was just not made obvious by visual indicators during the fights. They eventually added some for the more important behavioral changes, but the gimmicks for each boss are largely unmarked by the game and need to be figured out contextually.

I can't move my char from one server (Odin ffs) to another during the free period, right?

tried it in the mogstation...but would have needed to pay 1200 crystals to reactivate the char..

:D a few friends from my FFXIV FC play on asura.

Yeah I think you need to be subbed to transfer, but the transfers are cheap at the moment compared to the normal price.

rybrad

Anyone have tips on keeping Naja Salaheem alive in this stupid fight with the gears in ToAU? Actually killing the stuff is obviously a complete joke at 99 but her stupid ass gets 3 shot because she attacks whatever she feels like. By the time I figure out which one is hitting her and switch she is dead the next hit. The only class I have over 50 is THF.

Parshias7

Anyone have tips on keeping Naja Salaheem alive in this stupid fight with the gears in ToAU? Actually killing the stuff is obviously a complete joke at 99 but her stupid ass gets 3 shot because she attacks whatever she feels like. By the time I figure out which one is hitting her and switch she is dead the next hit. The only class I have over 50 is THF.

Ask for help from someone who can AoE nuke. Or help from someone who can just babysit Naja with heals. I had a ton of problems with the fight on MNK, and ultimately cleared it by leveling up BLU and just nuking them all to death. It might not be possible to clear the fight with a single-target DD job. I've gotten past the first wave on MNK, but at that point Naja was at low enough health and I couldn't get her up high enough with Waltzes that she died pretty soon in wave two.

Delve actually has a pretty good logic / structure to it, it was just not made obvious by visual indicators during the fights. They eventually added some for the more important behavioral changes, but the gimmicks for each boss are largely unmarked by the game and need to be figured out contextually.
some are fine, like the ones that you can see happening like its pretty clear if you are paying attention what causes the chapuli to gain evasion boost, but then you have unfethered twitherym who is just trial and error until someone figured out how to break it. That trial and error is the kind of crap that permeates modern MMO "difficulty" design and I fucking hate it

I subbed BLM and spammed Stonega till everything died.

rybrad

Ask for help from someone who can AoE nuke. Or help from someone who can just babysit Naja with heals. I had a ton of problems with the fight on MNK, and ultimately cleared it by leveling up BLU and just nuking them all to death. It might not be possible to clear the fight with a single-target DD job. I've gotten past the first wave on MNK, but at that point Naja was at low enough health and I couldn't get her up high enough with Waltzes that she died pretty soon in wave two.
Sounds about like what I was expecting after 7 attempts on this, thanks for the advice. Semi-related, is BLU fun? I was thinking about leveling up another job to 99 anyway as I am kind of bored with THF. I am not big on mages but it seems like BLU is pretty versatile.

I subbed BLM and spammed Stonega till everything died.
Was that a level 49 sub? I guess it doesn't really matter as I can probably get to that in a couple hours now with all the crazy xp boosts.

Top Bottom