• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - Review Thread

You can't compare review scores unless you ensured that all reviews were by the exact same reviewers in the exact same mindset for both. Especially not for nostalgic rereleases.

Let's not send this thread down the review-thread shitter this early, please.

It's a very impressive score, that's all. I don't see how comparing reviews from the two most recent FF games is "sending this thread down the review-thread shitter".

It's also absolutely silly to say that you can't compare review scores unless they're all done by the exact same reviewers.

This is the one FF I never really played. Best Buy shipped it to me early so I've been playing it since Saturday, and have been really enjoying it.

Dark_castle

uOudAUTkRTaxknq2cZu7rw.png

You have one job!

Joey Ravn

Banned
Might as well wait for the next remaster :D

Yeah, I know. I'm taking my sweet time with this series. I have replayed FFV quite a few times, though!

Forgot to mention: I have the Day One Edition of FFXV. Yeah. I'm a PC gamer at heart. I'm nothing without a backlog.

Ooccoo

I tought this game was bad?

I've been reading GAF about this game at the last two weeks and everyone agreed that this game was pretty bad but now, looking at reviews It doesn't seem like that.

I didn't played the game yet so I honestly don't know what to think, anymore.

It's great, but very different, hence the polarizing opinions. When you compare it to FFXV or FFXIII, you start to understand how bad modern Square Enix is at FF.

BigDes

I've been reading GAF about this game at the last two weeks and everyone agreed that this game was pretty bad but now, looking at reviews It doesn't seem like that.

XII has always been extremely divisive.

I have always felt it was either the best or second best game in the series

Third if I decide to include Tactics in the mainline series

But there are people who don't like the combat at all or the fact that the story kind of goes poof halfway through the game.

LiK

It came out at a time when their new combat system was somewhat divisive among core FF fans. It's a lot more conventional these days, imo.

Cool, BB and Amazon are sold out atm.

All I see is proof that FFXV isn't anywhere near as terrible as GAF wants to make it out to be. But metacritic scores only matter when they fit certain narratives I guess.

Anyways, looking forward to picking this up tomorrow. Didn't really appreciate it when I was younger.

kromeo

The game has some issues with storytelling that some people could never see past but it was never bad, far from it. It reviewed great the first time round as well

Ooccoo

All I see is proof that FFXV isn't anywhere near as terrible as GAF wants to make it out to be. But metacritic scores only matter when they fit certain narratives I guess.

Anyways, looking forward to picking this up tomorrow. Didn't really appreciate it when I was younger.

FFXV got good to great scores, but not for the best reasons: it's visually impressive, the world really comes to life and exploration is kinda fun. So it's understandable reviewers were charmed. Although I consider the story to be piss-poor with huge holes and complete episodes stripped from the main game to be distributed as DLC. Summon system sucked, dungeons weren't great and I didn't care about the cast. It's still enjoyable, a 7 for me.

cackhyena

The weird hangups people have with Vaan and Penelo never fail to amuse me.

This is one of my top three favorite FFs. Vaan was one of my only issues with it. Seemed entirely unnecessary. The real stars were apparent and I'd set Vaan in the background of battles asap.

King_Moc

Banned

It's arguably the best Final Fantasy, and that's my third favourite series of all time.

kromeo

Just shows that a good Final Fantasy is a good Final Fantasy as it's supposed to be. I will also never understand Final Fantasy XV high score with that shitplay of a story, but enough of that - this is about XII. :) Glad about these reviews.

An interesting thought is what would FFXV have scored if it had been a new IP by some other developer but I suspect that's straying into shitposting territory

Jennipeg

I can see it happening. It'll probably be a thing once VII, VIII, IX, X and XI are ported over.

They need to get VIII and IX on PS4 first, the fact that they haven't yet is mind boggling. Particularly as its the 30th anniversary this year, what better reason is there?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Lol. As if all videogame casts aren't determined by demographic requirements to some extent. Including other FFs.
The problem is how it was treated in this situation, where they created a story and then shoehorned a focus tested pretty boy in where he didn't belong.

It's one thing to design your characters around a certain style from the beginning, but Vaan is like Poochy the Dog levels of obvious marketing. He's not terribly offensive in game (bland is the word I'd use) and his blonde Aladdin thing isn't that bad but the story behind his creation is a bit iffy, and you can tell by how little he has to say in the story itself. If they did more with his sky pirate storyline he'd actually be a decent FF lead, he reminds me a bit of Zidane

Anyway, psyched to play this tomorrow. Already playing with job combos in my head.

The weird hangups people have with Vaan and Penelo never fail to amuse me.

I wonder why the 'they don't do anything', 'they just tag along', 'I put them in the background where they belong' criticisms of Vaan and Penelo don't seem to get directed at Fran?

Also the major elements that hook Balthier and Basch into the main plot hinge on some pretty big contrived coincidences.

It's great, but very different, hence the polarizing opinions. When you compare it to FFXV or FFXIII, you start to understand how bad modern Square Enix is at FF.

I liked XV and XIII. I personally think XV is a much better, more enjoyable game than XII. But each to his own. Everyone's FF rankings are different.

anddo0

Good reviews

I never finished the PS2 version. I`m not playing much on the PS4 these days. So I`m strongly considering purchasing this.

Final Fantasy Returns😭

Started playing when it came out but PS3 had just come out and I had a 360 as well so time was already limited, then I lost my save data so I just just lost the will to play. Can’t wait to get back to it.

GlamFM

Banned
HATED XII back in the day.

But you know what? I´m getting this!

Just because of what Jason and the others said on the last Split Screen episode.

Glass Rebel

I wonder why the 'they don't do anything', 'they just tag along', 'I put them in the background where they belong' criticisms of Vaan and Penelo don't seem to get directed at Fran?

Also the major elements that hook Balthier and Basch into the main plot hinge on some pretty big contrived coincidences.

Because in the case of Vaan people know about an aspect of his creation that they deem a negative and Penelo is associated with him whereas Fran is associated with Balthier, probably everyone's favourite character. Couple that with his insecurity inducing abs and you have your answer.

Nice reviews! I held off for so many goddamn years on playing the IZJS version, thinking that each coming year would finally be the year that Square rereleased FFXII. And now, 2017, it is finally - FINALLY - here. Thank you to all those who participated in Square's FFXII remaster crowd-funding initiative by buying FFX/X-2 HD, I did my part.

Revisiting FFXII is like getting to return to a favorite vacation spot that you haven't had to the opportunity to visit in years. ...a vacation spot that has tons of horrifying monsters that want to kill and/or suffocate you in status ailments, but hey, you can't have anything.

(I'm curious if the reorchestrated soundtrack will change the opinion of those who weren't a fan before, as all that I've heard sounds so vibrant and stunning.)

I hope newcomers enjoy!

Necrovex

I hated this game when it first came out, but I plan to pick up this remaster and give it another go. I'm a very different person than I was a decade back, so I expect I may very well enjoy this title now. Glad to see it's getting stellar reviews.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I thought FF12 was a fucking terrible game across the board when it came out but it sounds like they put in a good amount of work for people who liked it and for new folks so good on them.

I might check it out again down the road just to see if my complete hatred of it holds up. Revisiting X really lowered my opinion of the game overall (and made me appreciate X-2 some more) so I'm curious to see how 12 holds up (or doesn't)

Top Bottom