• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - Review Thread

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I tought this game was bad?

I've been reading GAF about this game at the last two weeks and everyone agreed that this game was pretty bad but now, looking at reviews It doesn't seem like that.

I didn't played the game yet so I honestly don't know what to think, anymore.
The argument of most people who hate the game usually starts and ends at the battle system being similar but not exactly the same as MMOs.

And really, there isn't anything wrong with that whatsoever. It's just different.

The argument of most people who hate the game usually starts and ends at the battle system being similar but not exactly the same as MMOs.

And really, there isn't anything wrong with that whatsoever. It's just different.

Battle system was my main issue. But I've gotten used to different ones since then, so that shouldn't be a barrier now for me. Though I think I'll wait, a bit before I buy.

Guess I'll give it a shot. I forgot to cancel my preorder and Amazon already shipped it. It's funny because I'll probably play this before FFXV since I'm waiting on them to finish updating it.

Hit up customer service for your free month of prime if you’re a member.

I've already done it too many times, according to them the last time I did this. Accounts get flagged if they get promos and credits via customer service "too often".

I mean maybe they should honor their policies and they won't have to give away Prime and promos?

Runner67

I wonder why the 'they don't do anything', 'they just tag along', 'I put them in the background where they belong' criticisms of Vaan and Penelo don't seem to get directed at Fran?

Also the major elements that hook Balthier and Basch into the main plot hinge on some pretty big contrived coincidences.
It's because the games story was unfinished. Yes, the game is great, but was considered too grand to do the whole thing. They had to do make significant changes before the game was released, that's why it feels that way. The game is still a monster and has some of my favorite villains, characters, and endings to an ff game.

SE did the same thing to Xenogears years before and FFXV last year. Let the damn creator achieve his vision. This game turned out fine but Xenogears got hit hard because of it and FFXV is trying to fix it.

halfbeast

Banned
NtXFNSN.gif

sYx4lkd.jpg

h773rPZ.jpg

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

x5ynn7h.jpg

8873e4657e134bc866ae829b9209c429.gif

(she's bi)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'd say go for XV. XII is better, but XV is still pretty good, and crucially its shorter! You can play through XV and THEN XII. If you start with XII you'll be playing that for ages because its both incredibly good, and super long.

Right so, I think I'll play 15 first then and save XII for when I have a bit more time.

Roughly how long are they, just main story and minimal side-quests?

kromeo

Right so, I think I'll play 15 first then and save XII for when I have a bit more time.

Roughly how long are they, just main story and minimal side-quests?

At least 60 hours for XII I would think even if you ignore most stuff. Double that if you want to do a decent amount of side content. XV i think you can get through in about 25 hours or less if you just go through the story

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
At least 60 hours for XII I would think even if you ignore most stuff. Double that if you want to do a decent amount of side content. XV i think you can get through in about 25 hours or less if you just go through the story

Thanks

Synless

They made all these improvements and its trending worse in reviews on Meta when compared to the original? Piece of shit game, it was always a mistake.

I've been reading GAF about this game at the last two weeks and everyone agreed that this game was pretty bad but now, looking at reviews It doesn't seem like that.

Not sure what threads you've been reading lately, but I always had the impression GAF loved this game.

Seems like it is now by the fans but critics fell in love with XII when it came out - I think it has a 92 score with many claiming it was one of the best games in the series.

Ah I didn't realise it actually went down well with critics, I just remember much rage from the fanbase. I guess for some it was too much a deviation for the series at the time, but in hindsight now it's much closer than many recent outings.

kromeo

It's somewhat of a darling on gaf, like if they made a Nier remaster you'd only really see positive talk about it.. Plus I would think people who didn't like the game have long since got bored of talking about it

aadiboy

It's somewhat of a darling on gaf, like if they made a Nier remaster you'd only really see positive talk about it.. Plus I would think people who didn't like the game have long since got bored of talking about it
Lolno, I've seen way more hate than love for the game here. It's their loss- they're missing out on the best Final Fantasy.

ZeroX03

Banned
Still the best Final Fantasy game of the past fifteen years, huh? Hesitant to dive in on day one at that price though.

Can't wait to jump in tomorrow. As much as I really like, maybe even love X, XII was what I wanted from a FF game during the PS2 era, and for me the series has been downhill ever since so it'll be a breath of fresh air for sure.

I'm looking forward to playing this again older and wiser and seeing how I feel.

Think I was 15 when this came out the first time and I don't think I enjoyed it all that much.

Is it just me or is this game being received better now than it did first time round?

The original has a 92 on metacritic making it the 2nd best reviewed game in the series. At the time critics were calling it the best FF yet.

It's in the decade since the game's release that it's gotten this not-so-positive reputation. I've always loved it though.

Garlador

I'm going to give this game another shot. Played it on PS2, didn't enjoy it at the time.

I know I was wanting something more like FF1-10, the combat was slow and off-putting to me, the license board felt like a step back from the sphere grid, Vaan and his awful abs made for a poor protagonist, the game suffered from stupid esoteric rules like precognition to know NOT to open certain chests to get the best weapons, lots of dead space, voices that sounded like they were recorded in a tin can, a bland soundtrack, and a story that really lacked comraderie and bonding between its cast.

Not all of that can be fixed, but my expectations have shifted and the game is bringing much improvements to the table. Higher quality voices, re-recorded OST that sounds richer and more vibrant, reworked and faster gameplay, more player options, better save system, etc.

The story is what it is. I still think it's strong on lore and weak on building friendships, especially after FF9 and FF10's very personal cast, but it's a Matsuno game and I've grown more accustomed to this type of storytelling.

So I am either going to be playing this or FF15 next.

Hmmmmm
Easy, XII is the answer.
I've already done it too many times, according to them the last time I did this. Accounts get flagged if they get promos and credits via customer service "too often".

I mean maybe they should honor their policies and they won't have to give away Prime and promos?
I hit the one month limits, then I got credit. I understand they don't wanna give shit away. But if they're promising a delivery date and couriers/carriers are fucking up its not on the consumer. They need to rectify it on their end. Instead of all the other crap they should start investing in a delivery company.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Story-wise it isn't great, and the character work is somewhat drier (less emotive) than earlier games, but everything else is/was stellar.

I always found it was best enjoyed as a kind of off-line MMO, as really XI is the FF title it takes more cues from than any other title.

Servbot24

Banned

Hell no. You must just be reading some garbage threads. FFXII is top 3 in the series for sure.

Cess007

And I just had to cancel my steelbook edition 'cause I'm short on money and time :( Reading all the reviews is now painful

Isn't the ps2 version like 90ish in metacritic? the game was awesome back in 2006 and it's the same now again.

The original has a 92 on metacritic making it the 2nd best reviewed game in the series. At the time critics were calling it the best FF yet.

It's in the decade since the game's release that it's gotten this not-so-positive reputation. I've always loved it though.

For some reason I always assumed it did badly in reviews due to the reception from fans here and there. That said, I'm in the boat with those who love the game. Pre-loaded and itching to start. I think the only thing I missed out last time was the small handful of side quests which I'll be covering this time too.

Chris R

Good to hear this getting great reviews.

Never finished the game when it originally came out, made it just past the airship stuff probably 40% through the game? Going to beat it this time for sure, hoping to get my copy before the end of the month since Amazon is shit for shipping to me now :(

These great reviews are making me want to dig out my PS2 to see where I left this game off back in the day. Never finished it but put a good bit of hours into it. Definitely interested in this, especially with that speed up button. I've got so much stuff to play already, lol. Adding it to The List (tm) I guess.

sikkinixx

Stoked to play this when I get home next week. I wish they would go back to this look and feel for final fantasy games. They really nailed the feels like ye olde times mixed with Japan mixed with future that isn't obnoxious. I actually liked the characters (Vaan didn't bug me too much) and my two griefs were 1) needed too much grinding (solved with the 2x/4x and good gambits) and 2) the stupid quickening system so it should be good to go. I remember going back and forth between this and MW multiplayer. good times.

Top Bottom