• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 First screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

So basically they're doing an other FFX-2? ROTFL
Lightning is the missing one instead of Tidus and Serah instead of Yuna goes searching her with new friends?
And Lightning finds herself trapped in some king of extra-temporal dimension where she becomes Sailor Moon.....
Yeah right.
If this han't explorable towns I won't even rent it.

Synless

Yoshichan said:
There's more micromanagement needed in FFXIII than every main FF combined. The hell you talking about?
Two of my friends auto-attacked their way to the end of the game. Micromanagement my ass.

That said, I liked FFXIII's battle system. I also thought it was a bit too autopilot though.

mintylurb

Kagari said:
Graphics seem less detailed for sure. Oh well, at least the FMV will be 1080p.
Maybe because..dun dun.
TheOddOne said:
Was this on the leaked MS page? I remember people talking about it, but it disappeared fast.
I do hope both versions will be identical because I would hate to see another salty piece from grandmaster..lulz.

Kagari said:
I don't think so. The PV was already 1080p CG.
Yes it looks fantastic, it was really strange in the first game how the last few CG cutscenes looked different to those that came before. Almost as if a different animation house or tech was being used on them. Hoping this time they go with one style or the other.
vic2020 said:
First shots released are in english already, maybe simultaneous worldwide release date?
Fingers crossed - means we'll get it this side of Christmas. Although next year is far more likley a scenario.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Synless said:
Two of my friends auto-attacked their way to the end of the game. Micromanagement my ass.

That said, I liked FFXIII's battle system. I also thought it was a bit too autopilot though.

It was way worse in the whole auto-pilot thing than FFXII and FFXII got blasted for it.

Elios83 said:
So basically they're doing an other FFX-2? ROTFL
Lightning is the missing one instead of Tidus and Serah instead of Yuna goes searching her with new friends?
And Lightning finds herself trapped in some king of extra-temporal dimension where she becomes Sailor Moon.....
Yeah right.
If this han't explorable towns I won't even rent it.
tumblr_ll81yn5od61qzbl7f.gif

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think the game will shift between perspectives like in XIII. That being said, I don't want a 30 hour tutorial like the last game. If I am playing this game it better be straight up combat or there should be an option to remove the tutorial. Secondly, I want to see a difficulty setting for this game cuz XIII was way too easy if you knew what paradigms were essential. The only challenging things were perhaps the boss fight. More difficulty, less tutorial, more active battle system, less crapy story, same characterization please.

Vanille said:
It... looks identical.

They reused a ton of assets from FFX to get to FFX-2 so I expect them to do the same for FFXIII-2.

Since the bulk of the technical work is already done, they can hopefully concentrate on the story this time around.

Synless

Bitmap Frogs said:
It was way worse in the whole auto-pilot thing than FFXII and FFXII got blasted for it.
I was one of those people. I started replaying XII though and came to realize how much better the battle system was.

xion4360

Kagari said:
LOL Square is telling press to recall the images... they weren't supposed to go up.

They might as well just go with it.. ain't no such thing as TAKE IT BACK on the internet lol

Bitmap Frogs said:
At least in XII you had to switch up your style during the boss fights/tougher areas. In XIII I just smashed auto battle the whole time and never really had any trouble.

I'm not sure if I'm disappointed that they seem to be using the same battle system. I loved it so it's not a big deal, but I expect a brand new and brilliant battle system in my FF games, but maybe they have some surprinsing new feature that will make the battle system feel brand new.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Shalashaska161 said:
At least in XII you had to switch up your style during the boss fights. In XIII I just smashed auto battle the whole time and never really had any trouble.
I would mash paradigm shift. same thing

sleepykyo

brandonh83 said:
Where's Snow? Wouldn't the hero be upset that his wife is hanging out with dudefang?

Great question. Fight monsters, military and gods to save the girlfriend. Then twiddle thumbs as said girlfriend go offs on adventures with another guy. Snow must be the John Morrison of Final Fantasy.

Synless said:
I was one of those people. I started replaying XII though and came to realize how much better the battle system was.

That's because the gambit system was totally customizable.

With XIII it's like they took what they thought was the "best ideas" from the gambit system and set the auto commands from the roles to behave that way. It worked for the most part, though I hated how Syngerists were handled.

I don't like the look of that Noel character and I never liked Serah in FFXIII either but I am still very excited for this game!

fernoca

My main thing with XIII was that when the party leader died, it was game over. Let me play at least for a few seconds to resurrect the leader, or do it automatically if there's a Phoenix Down on inventory...and I'm in.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Looks okay, I guess. (I'm not very psyched about Auto-battle still being in there, but as long as I can still change the initial option to "Abilities" in the options screen as in FFXIII, then I guess it's okay). I hope we can finally move allies in-battle and give more commands to allies. Or even modify their AI like I could in FFXII or Tales. Going from FFXIII to FFXII, Resonance of Fate and Tales of Graces felt extremely liberating, imo.

So, is Serah going to get a garment grid and get a Gunner dressphere? Where is Snow? Taking care of the kids?

Synless

For some reason the first picture refuses to load for me, even when I try to view it at its original source.

xion4360

fernoca said:
My main thing with XIII was that when the party leader died, it was game over. Let me play at least for a few seconds to resurrect the leader, or do it automatically if there's a Phoenix Down on inventory...and I'm in.

That would make the game far too easy and eliminate the tension. Besides the only punishment is having to retry that one battle, hardly a deal breaker if you died.

Dark Schala said:
So, is Serah going to get a garment grid and get a Gunner dressphere? Where is Snow? Taking care of the kids?

There is no dress sphere system in this game. Its a sequel to XIII not X-2.

There's no reason to think Snow isn't in the game either. I fully expect all 6 characters to make an appearance in some way.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
After completing FFXIII I will assume that the only people who are looking forward to this, are the people who are suffering from a FFXIII induced stockholm syndrome.

FFXIII was, and I mean this quite sincerely, and without aiming for hyperbole, easily the worst game I have played this decade, on a console.

And I love Final Fantasy games :(

On principal I shall give this one a miss.

Go_Ly_Dow

The visuals look identical to the PS3 version of FFXIII to me. I don't notice any difference that others are mentioning.

I do wonder how the 360 version will perform this time. FFXIII 360 was sub-hd in game and cutscene. The framerate was also noticeably poorer in certain areas.

Synless said:
For some reason the first picture refuses to load for me, even when I try to view it at its original source.

I tried re-hosting it, but it went purple for some reason :/

Edit:

YK6zO.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
M_Night said:
The visuals look identical to the PS3 version of FFXIII to me. I don't notice any difference that others are mentioning.

I do wonder how the 360 version will perform this time. FFXIII 360 was sub-hd in game and cutscene. The framerate was also noticeably poorer in certain areas.
What the fuck.

Pooya

Does this work now? I put them on different hosts, you should see the two shots now, very strange. In fact there are 4 shots in the op, aboad is failing...

Best battle system ever!
Thank god they kept it, now if they can make improvements to the storyline and characters we're all set. Although, the 'mysterious man' (who no doubt has a tragic past) cliche is making it seem we're off to a bad start already.....

Zoe

M_Night said:

Hopefully they at least fixed the shadows.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
xion4360 said:
There is no dress sphere system in this game. Its a sequel to XIII not X-2.

There's no reason to think Snow isn't in the game either. I fully expect all 6 characters to make an appearance in some way.
I was joking. :)

I really loved FFX-2's battle system, even moreso than FFXIII's--I think it's ATB and Job-Switching at its finest. I know that I'll import this and then buy the English version just like I did FFXIII. I didn't enjoy FFXIII too much, but I guess I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I hope it's different in some fashion.

I hope THESE aren't in Final Fantasy XIII-2 in ANY SORT OF FORM!

Txm9M.jpg

Fuck those things and their Gui brothers!

fernoca

xion4360 said:
That would make the game far too easy and eliminate the tension. Besides the only punishment is having to retry that one battle, hardly a deal breaker if you died.
But is not like previous FF games didn't had it, heck you could control each character individually on those and put one character attacking while another resurrected a dead one. All I'm asking is that if Lightning dies the other 2 characters are just not "ugh..we failed". heck, leave the party leader "dead" until the end of the battle and let me continue fighting...if the boss is really hard it will kill all characters not just the leader. ;p

It kinda made the Phoenix Down relatively useless in XIII as there 's a medic usually healing everyone and the leader could use potions to heal everyone at the same time; so there was no tension per se...except in the usual big-ass with a trillion HP bosses..

Dark Schala said:
Fuck those things and their Gui brothers!

Pussy, I could kill those in about a minute at the end of the game.
When I first got to Pulse one of these killed my whole party in a single stamp. It was then I vowed that some how, some way, some day I would get even and I did. It felt good damn it, GOOD!!!

LiK

SaintZ said:
It looks good. I still haven't finished FFXIII but Serah's attire here looks kinda hookerific and hot.
Haha, Yuna in FFX-2 got similar comments back in the day. Oh Nomura.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Pussy, I could kill those in about a minute at the end of the game.
When I first got to Pulse one of these killed my whole party in a single stamp. It was then I vowed that some how, some way, some day I would get even and I did. It felt good damn it, GOOD!!!
They're awesome when they're dropping things left and right when you're running to plat the game. And they're good for CP, especially when they get ridiculously easy to kill.

But when you go an hour or so without getting any drops and you maxed your Crystarium, killing them repeatedly to try to get Traps or Ingots for money or weapons can be mentally taxing.

The problem with the Adamantoises/Adamantortoises/Guis is that they were not actually fun to kill. It was just a rinse->repeat grinding cycle.

Serah's got Lightning's arm band thing on.

I wonder what the time difference between games is? I know it says 'a few years', but is that 2, 5, 10? Maybe Lightning trained her? That would be my guess.

I believe I remember Toriyama (or Kitase) saying some returning characters will be changed significantly, while some will only have brief appearances, and the rest are brand new characters.

Just give me more opportunities (i.e. towns, NPCs) to take in and learn more about the world, S-E! Don't go the cheap route with 'datalogs' again!
As much as I liked FFXIII, the tube-structure really damaged an otherwise gorgeously designed world (Cocoon).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom